Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everything I ever wanted, literally the most excited I've been for a game.

veego590veego590 Member Posts: 39
Is anyone else going nuts over this? The more and more I read about the game the more and more excited I got. I can't process the amount of amazing components of this game. This is my dream game. My only major concern is whether or not we actually see the light of day for this game... I really really hope we do.

Comments

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    This game looks good, I am a fan of freelancer and this is probably the closest thing we will get to a freelancer MMO.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    I'm excited. Freelancer is probably one of my fondest gaming memories. There was so much to do.
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

Everyone forgot, it was Chris Roberts games, that brought millions of people to buy a Personal Computer at the first place.

Now, they and their genres, and suits, and bozo brainiacs, and Month worth MMOs, will yield to the GrandMaster of the PC and of the Space Genre...

A Gamer making games for Gamers...it's a win win, no matter what...the whole gaming world in silence will stand behind him. 

The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance! The Flagship Genre that boosted every other genre to the masses on the PC Market, reclaims it's Throne!

Since everyone else in the Space genre has failed utterly, we are very lucky the Legend of the Genre, has returned!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

The current demo shows a lot of what Cryengine 3 an do. I swear those spacecraft engines are copy & pasted from cryteks crysis airplanes. Also a lot of the interiour shares the artset of the aircarriers of crysis. Also the landingdeck animations of the people there.

The hands? The awareness of "body" from first person is something Crysis 1 started.
    It created a level of immersion like i've never felt before. (maybe in F.E.A.R. too). YOU are sitting in your cockpit.

I don't write this as a negativity. Since the physics and core components for these features are already in the Cryengine 3 (even without modification from his team) it shows a lot of these things he announced CAN BE DONE because they are partially or fully implemented and just need proper textures, models, and content.

Also the seamless transitions can be done because cryengine 3 has a lot of it already implemented thanks to the Archeage development team to which crytek works very close.

He couldn't have made a better choice for his sandbox ideas. The foundation is properly set, now let's hope he raises enough money to get everything finished.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    O yes! O yes! Thats my number one. My dream comes true, until release of SC i try to get satisfaction with Planetside 2. Donate people, donate money so they can finish game :) 
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by skydiver12

The current demo shows a lot of what Cryengine 3 an do. I swear those spacecraft engines are copy & pasted from cryteks crysis airplanes. Also a lot of the interiour shares the artset of the aircarriers of crysis. Also the landingdeck animations of the people there.

The hands? The awareness of "body" from first person is something Crysis 1 started.
    It created a level of immersion like i've never felt before. (maybe in F.E.A.R. too). YOU are sitting in your cockpit.

I don't write this as a negativity. Since the physics and core components for these features are already in the Cryengine 3 (even without modification from his team) it shows a lot of these things he announced CAN BE DONE because they are partially or fully implemented and just need proper textures, models, and content.

Also the seamless transitions can be done because cryengine 3 has a lot of it already implemented thanks to the Archeage development team to which crytek works very close.

He couldn't have made a better choice for his sandbox ideas. The foundation is properly set, now let's hope he raises enough money to get everything finished.

I beg to differ... The very first game to have a fully functional cockpit with the perspective set so you could see your own legs and your hand move on the stick was Wing Commander 1 way back in 1991 long before CryEngine ever existed. Chris Roberts insisted the game had to be that way so the player would actually get a sense of "being there". CryEngine 3 will allow him to take this to the next level but he has been doing this level of immersion in his games since the beginning. The only game that didn't have this was Freelancer but that was more because of pressure from Microsoft to get the game out the door than Chris Roberts himself not wanting to do it. It was his experience with Digital Anvil and Microsoft that has made him decide that he doesn't want a publisher breathing down his neck on this one.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Averof

Everyone forgot, it was Chris Roberts games, that brought millions of people to buy a Personal Computer at the first place.

Now, they and their genres, and suits, and bozo brainiacs, and Month worth MMOs, will yield to the GrandMaster of the PC and of the Space Genre...

A Gamer making games for Gamers...it's a win win, no matter what...the whole gaming world in silence will stand behind him. 

The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance! The Flagship Genre that boosted every other genre to the masses on the PC Market, reclaims it's Throne!

Since everyone else in the Space genre has failed utterly, we are very lucky the Legend of the Genre, has returned!

Totally agree!  Wing Commander 3 was goundbreaking at that time, intruducing full cinematic cutscenes and cinematic interaction with real actors ingame.

Bioware's RPG games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age are directly inspired by it. No doubt about that.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

yup cant wait for this.. its been too long since i played one of his games...

They will be having my cash as soon as i get paid at the end of the month lol.

What an engine choice as well, i have been playing around with CryEngine 3 for most of the year and its one hell of an engine.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by skydiver12 The current demo shows a lot of what Cryengine 3 an do. I swear those spacecraft engines are copy & pasted from cryteks crysis airplanes. Also a lot of the interiour shares the artset of the aircarriers of crysis. Also the landingdeck animations of the people there. The hands? The awareness of "body" from first person is something Crysis 1 started. It created a level of immersion like i've never felt before. (maybe in F.E.A.R. too). YOU are sitting in your cockpit. I don't write this as a negativity. Since the physics and core components for these features are already in the Cryengine 3 (even without modification from his team) it shows a lot of these things he announced CAN BE DONE because they are partially or fully implemented and just need proper textures, models, and content. Also the seamless transitions can be done because cryengine 3 has a lot of it already implemented thanks to the Archeage development team to which crytek works very close. He couldn't have made a better choice for his sandbox ideas. The foundation is properly set, now let's hope he raises enough money to get everything finished.    
    I beg to differ... The very first game to have a fully functional cockpit with the perspective set so you could see your own legs and your hand move on the stick was Wing Commander 1 way back in 1991 long before CryEngine ever existed. Chris Roberts insisted the game had to be that way so the player would actually get a sense of "being there". CryEngine 3 will allow him to take this to the next level but he has been doing this level of immersion in his games since the beginning. The only game that didn't have this was Freelancer but that was more because of pressure from Microsoft to get the game out the door than Chris Roberts himself not wanting to do it. It was his experience with Digital Anvil and Microsoft that has made him decide that he doesn't want a publisher breathing down his neck on this one.

Bren

I don't think you differ..at all! We agree :)
    With the "crysis1 started" statement, i wasn't implying "seeing your legs in a cockpit", Crysis1 was the first to not only display body parts in first person but actually let you feel the weight of your body with the camera.

Older games attached legs to the camera.
    Crysis1 has the camera attached to the body physics.

The results may look the same, but feel different. Because you don't have to programm a tilt and head shaking for the player in the first person and 3th person specifically. With crysis engine 3 you can have your head (view) bumping against the cockpit glass during a rocket impact without additional work. In contrary, you have additional work to disable that :)

I was just trying to say, if you want immersion, cryengine has a lot already included.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by veego590
    Is anyone else going nuts over this? The more and more I read about the game the more and more excited I got. I can't process the amount of amazing components of this game. This is my dream game. My only major concern is whether or not we actually see the light of day for this game... I really really hope we do.

It's relying on funding from individuals. I doubt it will see the light of day in the form described. It will be relying on normal folk to keep throwing money into a development pit against promises that continue to move backwards. Get excited I it gets to a playable beta form, until then watch and wait patiently.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well if they had a way to set up an account I would be all in.  Right now the only way to give them my money is check out as a guest, without setting up an account. Not only that but for some reason their payment system is not working and I tried a few of my credit cards and it came back on all 3 as in not liking them. 

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

SUPER excited. Now I will wait for this, because I´m sick of waiting for Bioware or Lucasarts to come up with something worth playing like TOR free roam space, Battlefront 3 or a new X-Wing game. They kept feeding us with nothing but crap and this TOR railshooter, now Chris is giving me new hope!

:D

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

prefer Egosoft to create an X series MMO than this

Wing Comander, Privateer and Freelancer had only good story

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by defector1968

prefer Egosoft to create an X series MMO than this

Wing Comander, Privateer and Freelancer had only good story

The more space games the better.

Freelancer had game-play elements that a lot of us want to see in a persistent game world. And sounds like we will get our wish and more.

I think it would be awesome if Star Citizen has highways like X Rebirth will. Cool station building would be nice too.

Can't wait to get the bad after taste of Black Prophesy out of my mouth.  Space flight made by the legend himself, Chris Roberts, will taste sooooo gooood!

Originally posted by RefMinor

It's relying on funding from individuals. I doubt it will see the light of day in the form described. It will be relying on normal folk to keep throwing money into a development pit against promises that continue to move backwards. Get excited I it gets to a playable beta form, until then watch and wait patiently.

Actually Roberts already said at the more than 50 minutes presentation, that.....

He wanted to show investors the dedicated commitment of people for a project like this, and they agreed that if they realize that there is indeed such a market still, which there is, they will take the rest of the cost, to get IT, DONE!!!!!

So no worries, this guy, is a Blizzard on his own, he had on his projects, 10 years ago, people like Mark Hammil, Malcom McDowell, and Clive Owen,you can be sure, we are in for tremendous surprises, as the time goes by. He is not irrationally called a guru of the Space Game genre, without merit.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Averof

Actually Roberts already said at the more than 50 minutes presentation, that.....

He wanted to show investors the dedicated commitment of people for a project like this, and they agreed that if they realize that there is indeed such a market still, which there is, they will take the rest of the cost, to get IT, DONE!!!!!

So no worries, this guy, is a Blizzard on his own, he had on his projects, 10 years ago, people like Mark Hammil, Malcom McDowell, and Clive Owen,you can be sure, we are in for tremendous surprises, as the time goes by. He is not irrationally called a guru of the Space Game genre, without merit.

Not to mention that he's already raised almost a half a million in less than 2 days. He plans on taking pledges for over thirty days total. I see him getting the 2 Million and then some easily. This isn't about just this game. It's about a game starved PC gaming community that has had to put up with poor console ports for far too long and Mr. Roberts knows this. He'll get his funding... of that I have no doubt.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• OmrieOmrie Member UncommonPosts: 116

I've been waiting for a space mmorpg that's sandbox like this for a looooooooooong time (that's not eve online, although i think it's a nice game, i have to have my joystick, and rudder pedals).

I can already imagine traveling across the universe with my friends on a carrier, exploring worlds together, manning repair stations, turret stations, and our fighter pilots taking off from the fighter bay to fend off wouldbe pirates...

I want this game to be out now... it's supposed to even support Oculus Rift, virtual reality space combat here we come!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I love threads where people wet themselves over a new game that's coming out.  It honestly cracks me up.  If you haven't learned anything from ALL the past games' hype, then it can be a real thrill ride.

Enjoy, guys. Don't forget to stop and breathe though.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by just1opinion

I love threads where people wet themselves over a new game that's coming out.  It honestly cracks me up.  If you haven't learned anything from ALL the past games' hype, then it can be a real thrill ride.

Enjoy, guys. Don't forget to stop and breathe though.

You are so right...like we haven't felt like this so many times before and were let down...and once again...wet dreams.

..................taking deeeeeep breath....in.....out.....:)

Imagine how we feel right now, it's like the begining of Wing Commander IV, Blair drinks in a dusty forgotten bar, that resembles another cantina elsewhere, and a hot babe slaps a guy in uniform, Maniac....Tadadadadadaaa, Commander Blair you are called to active duty, you are either an earthworm or an eagle...

Dear Just1opinion, you are damn right, hoping if Roberts will pull it off, forget the exaggerated hype, and come fly with us like an Eagle:)

Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

He has a cap on what he will take from players(two million, which he will reach). He has investors, hes just proving there is indeed a passionate audience that will play.

Hell, I won't give to a kickstarter as they usually don't go anywhere, but he's got a year of developement down, it looks good, and a thirty dollar pledge gets me the game and a ship! I could do the smart thing and wait for the game to come out and spend 59.99 or whatever games will be going for two years from now, but I'll take the gamble.

Plus that guy basically got me into games, with wing commander so I'll throw him 30 bones. Hell his games are better than most if not all the crap I've played in the last ten years.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

This seems almost too good to be true.

I really hope this works out.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

This seems almost too good to be true.

I really hope this works out.

I know, I agree, but I had to take the fact thats its the developer of my all time favorite game, and he's using an awesome engine as opposed to going for the "accessible to all rigs out there" approach, and add in some joystick action again, and I was sold.

-I'm gonna try a new strategy with this game however. I'm not going to fantasize about all the features so that I don't hype myself into a frenzy over thing's the game probably won't have at launch(I did that so much with SWTOR, thought it would have awesome space, awesome crafting, guild wars, and world pvp and on and on, I kind set myself up for a letdown)

Nope, just gonna patiently wait, and maybe watch some beautiful footage of spaceships doing their thing. 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Promises are easy as words cost nothing.

usually the more people promise, the less they are able to deliver. This just seem too grand a vision, without much money to back it up.

i would say cautious optimisim is required. lets just follow this and see what exaclty they do with it.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I haven't had time to look at this game yet really, so I'm not sayin' I might not be ridin' the hype train too....soon.  I just know we must remember to b r e a t h e.  lol  ;)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

If he gets the funding then I think he can create something new, yet old school. Maybe at first it won't even have half the features he talked about, or they will be primitive, but in an online type of game it will contuine to develop.

I've seen some folks who didn't like the online thing but offline games hardly ever get continuing development after launch. Maybe some DLCs and a few bug patches and that's it. Online games(mmos) get expansions and new features. I can see this game maybe staying around as long as Guild Wars or Everquest. If he can get his vision done. Then there was that wing commander movie.....

Anyway since this is a mmorpg.com forum: This game has failed. As you can clearly see from these xfire stats noone is playing it. I've even gotten bored of it already. Therefore game is bad. *gets up on a ladder* My logic is superiorrr!!!!