Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much do you like Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Definitely the best MMO I've played in years, but the best game, across all genres?  I'm less inclined to go quite that far...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I voted "It's great", because there's some things i miss from more traditional MMOs.
  • CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

People expect a destination at the end of a journey. This game does away with that  in the sense that the journey never really ends, the entire game is end game.

Hell asmy time becomes more and more limited, I don't want to be punished for not being able to play as much as I could've and I'm extremely vain so looks matter to me. The fact that the gear treadmill is gone and at 80 the entire game becomes open to me as end game from this point forward is a great idea.

Fans of traditional MMO's, specifically theme parks, just don't like this because they feel they should get more for their time and thats fine but I don't agree with that. Different =/= bad, just because it has horizontalprogresion vs vertical doesn't make it a bad game... just a different game that appeals to a diferent part of MMO players.

To answer the OP; that feeling of this is my new home, that feeling of wonderment of being out in the game world, that urge to explore and ease of entry to just about anything. This is the best MMO i've played in the past 8 years. I can't ever see myself going back to the old formula and vertical stat based progression ever again.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Torgrim
    Well the question is quite blunt.I will go for number 5.You?

there is about 2 negative options and 4 positive ones in that poll...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Nitth

Well the question is quite blunt.

I will go for number 5.

You?

there is about 2 negative options and 4 positive ones in that poll...

You could always make your own poll and skew it with more negative options...

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Its probably best what themepark MMO can offer these days. Certanly among best MMOs I played in last 10 years.

Unfortunately , it also part of MMO de-evolution.

Sadly there will not be any movement towards anything better in next 5-6 years. So its the best we can have.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I'll give it a 5/10.

I don't want to go into detail as my post will be mod edited.

I will be a happy camper once everyone moves on from GW2, it doesn't deserve the attention it gets.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Game is ok

The scenery is very nice, they've done good making underwater areas look really nice unlike some mmo's.  There's a flaw to the game though, it can be either good or bad, but a flaw nonetheless.

My brother who was running me around ALL the high level areas to get waypoints etc for exp. That's pretty much the fast track to level up. I didnt mind because the world looks amazing, so we're just running around doing this. He wanted to show me an event where you'll see a dragon land on top of an island crushing the tower building. 

Then I see someone saying, report all unguilded people in the area because they are all bots. I'm like wtf, who's this guy assmuming just because I'm not in a guild means that I'm a bot. So I started talking to them and the were like you're still a bot because you're only level 40 ( I was in a level 60 area). So we started arguing for a bit, but to make a long story short, I got to see the dragon and decided to go on my travels.

I can understand how people get frustrated with botters, but they themselves are being hypocrites when they say botters are there to farm for money when all they do is wait for the botters to fight mobs and tag them then repeat the process. If they are there for a legitimate reason, like questing or collecting crafting materials, I can understand. But when you do the event once or twice you'll end up getting bored and move to a different location. But when you're there following the botters and tagging every mob they tag for loot, you're doing the exact same thing they are.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

The best mmo out there and an awesome PC game in its own right.

That being said, there is room for improvement. We'll see how it develops from now on and I am cautiously optimistic in that regard.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Fun for as long as I was discovering new things to do, which is about a month. Thats what themeparks are worth.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    5/10 on my "harsh critic meter. Just so you know Rift is my favorite game MMo wise out there and I consider that a 7.5/10 so don't take it to bad. :) That and a score can only do so much, either way, it was some fun but I've had a lot more fun experiences with trying new MMOs out there in the last few years then GW2.  It sat higher then SWTOR, but truthfully in the last 4 years its one of my least favorite AAA game I've played/found respect for (aka Secret world, I couldn't bring myself to play it in the end but I have a respect for it and I know its just not my type of game).
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    No end game, no differences from other games really? Deciding to ignore the facts and thousands of posts and articles showing exactly these things does not make you correct. YOU may not like what is on offer, but not taking responsibility for your own likes and dislikes-why?

So even ignoring all facts, there is 1 simple truth, over a million people play at max level aka end-game so you are wrong.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Its.. ok. In short doses
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Game is decent but i am extremely let down by Anet and their CS.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Pool is biased.  You have one very negaive option.  One semi neutral-semi positive and 4 strongly positive ones.

Not enough middle ground and over-presentation of strong positive.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Zzad

Best MMORPG i´ve played in the last  years.

Can´t wait for the Halloween Event  ^^

imageimage

same... hit my 230 hour mark and urge to play still RISING:P

Nice!

I'm at 355 hours and this is with my 40hr work week.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by fenistil

Pool is biased.  You have one very negaive option.  One semi neutral-semi positive and 4 strongly positive ones.

So you want me to add

It sucks

It blows

It's a turd

?

One negative is enough it contains all those three words in one single word.

Rest of the ones are feelings  about the game in different levels of enjoyment.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I don't think those options are middle ground either do you?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I really struggle to understand the concept of endgame in GW2. I've seen the list of things to do at 80. I have seen all that stuff everywhere else. OK, that's fine, Therei s a lot of stuff to keep one's self occupied after 80. Mostly it's not so much that there is nothing to do, but there is little reason to do it. That's all subjective so, I really won't argue with anyone who says they are having fun at 80. I get that. But the one thing I just cannot seem to get a grasp on is this map exploration completion. Once I get to 80, I then have to go into a different starter area, I am foced into down leveling and I have to start all over again from scratch. In GW2 it's called "Endgame" In Every other MMO I've ever played, it's called "Leveling an alt"

70 trait points giving you access to stat buffs and procs, much better consumables with multiple stat buffs, jewelry with multiple stats, runes with multiple stats, all utility & elite skills available, armor pieces (like helmet & shoulders) which dont exist at lower levels, as well as rare / exotic / legendary gear which also dont exist at lower levels (only white and blue at first, then green after awhile).

If you consider that "starting from scratch" then I think youre beyond any help that can be found here. Its not so much like leveling an alt,  its more similar to a system like in DDO with reincarnation (kind of like starting over, but with bonuses that make you stronger), except that youre not stuck in that low level reincarnated form and can jump between low and high level content as you please.

Not sure if youv ever played DDO, but if you have you would know, and others on this site can tell you the same, that just because you hit max level doesnt mean youve reached the end. People continue through multiple reincarnations. Is there a solid endgame? No. Its about enjoying the entire game, not just the last part of the game. Same goes for GW2. Wouldnt you rather have a game that is pretty enjoyable throughout the entire thing regardless of level, instead of  a game that forces you to plow through 90% of the game as quick as possible to get to the last 10% that is supposed to be "good" and "fun"?

One's overall power compared to the zone is irrelevant. Go buy a full set of BoA gear in WoW and put max enchants on it and start an alt. It will be the same effect. Yes, I understand that I'm not contributing to my map completion on a single character, but that's only one aspect of it. The main point s that I am still "preogresing" through starter zone content as a low level toon. It's a task, it needs to be done. I'm not even saying it wouldn't be fun. I have always played lots of alts. But I would hardly define it as "endgame"

I think what Arenanet it trying to do is get people to look past "endgame" and just play the game.  In other words, stop trying to look ahead at what may be to come and just play whatever and however you want to play.

Some people won't see it that way and that's fine.    Personally, though, I'd rather just play.

Maybe that's where this game fails to be unique to me.  I always play MMOs for the journey.  I am never in it for the endgame.

So if I have been doing this all along, it's really not a breath of fresh air for me.  Maybe that's why I "don't get it."

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by JackFrosty
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Overall, one of the best games Ive played in years. Though admittedly it has grown boring to me. Not because of something like "no endgame" (IMO the whole endgame mindset is stupid), but

But lets just stop you there cuase your full of crap and being a fanboy. It has no endgame and that IS why you are bored.

Really? You can read my mind? Damn i wish was as cool as you.

No. I dont care about endgame. Its usually the least of my concerns. I dont play games and wait until endgame and then decide wether or not i like them because of what they have to offer as their endgame. Its pretty clear that is very important to you, but you are not me.

I prefer FPS style / twitch combat like Darkfall and Ive talked a lot in the past about my history in the FPS genre (running clans for years, working for gamebattles / MLG, etc).

I also prefer sandbox style games like Darkfall, Xsyon, Wurm, EVE, etc.

Do either PFS games or most sandboxes have a real "endgame"?

Im also a big alt whore and spend most of my time in the games i play screwing around with alts often not even reaching the "endgame" after months of playing. Why? Because I find the game itself fun to play, not because the endgame is fun. Ive had approx 60-70 different toons in WAR from playing on and off since launch. I have 1 level 40 toon. Did the endgame matter to me there?

I put around 300 hours into GW2 before I stopped playing (yes, i stopped playing. OMG im such a major fanboi) spread across 6 still existing toons, as well as a few I deleted. Want to guess how many level 80s I have? 0

Endgame or lack of endgame simply doesnt apply to me. I grew bored before getting to it. Was it because there is no endgame? Obviously not. I grew bored because as good as it is, at the end of the day its still just a themepark with a pretty standard MMO combat system (with a few nice changes added in, but not enought o make it completely different). IMO its the best themepark out there, but themeparks just arent what Im after.

Nice try though. Helps if you have the slightest clue what youre talking about when trolling though. BTW, rage filled babies who call anyone who has ANYTHING good to say about a game a "fanboi" is much much worse than a fanboi. Youre so blinded by your ridiculous fits of nonsensical rage that you lose all common sense. Its like being stuck in line at the store next to that lady with the 3 little kids who are all crying and raging because she wont let them have the toy they want.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Soo.. WoW has endgame right.. doing the same dungeons 3 times a day sure must be fun endgame. 

i yust stick with GW2 because of the fun and if people cant handle the game.. sure, go back to WoW.. you fit right in there.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    It's so good, I asked for a refund.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by fenistil

So you want me to add

It sucks

It blows

It's a turd

?

One negative is enough it contains all those three words in one single word.

Rest of the ones are feelings  about the game in different levels of enjoyment.

It was intentional Fensil. When I saw the options I expected a much different result. Still 40% on the negative side even with the middle ground options (what should have been) being  positive.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Truly one of the best MMO's I've ever played.  While it won't be my last mmo, it will be one I will be going back to with each update - including the Halloween event coming up.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

It was OK for a month, but too lackluster to hold my interest for a longer period of time. It just seemed like the same old MMO wrapped in a slightly different package.

Optional PvP = No PvP