Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impact on EVE from Star Citizen?

veego590veego590 Member Posts: 39

What do you guys think of the newly announced project of "Star Citizen"? It seems to share many concepts of EVE, except for first person piloting of space ships. Im sure there are plenty of other features that distinguish the two from one another but the whole "space sandbox" genre might have some serious competion..

For those of you who don't know about the game, check it out here: (Its also on the front page of MMORPG.com)

http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

Comments

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    If I read the article correctly on the front page Star Citizen is still try to secure more funding through a website where I guess people can donate? I guess all I can say is the game would need to be near completion before starting to speculate on the impact it will have on another game. Although on this site speculation is so out of control what does it matter. Go nuts!
  • veego590veego590 Member Posts: 39
    Indeed, its not a fully commited game..yet. But it is believed that the game will be able to receive enough profits from "pledges" to create the game (Via the FAQ section of the site)
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    my question is. is this an actuall game like eve where it's all in one server? i'm kinda not understanding out it works. and also whats there pc spec to run this? i mean i dont even see any spec  requirments 
    Originally posted by aligada87
    my question is. is this an actuall game like eve where it's all in one server? i'm kinda not understanding out it works. and also whats there pc spec to run this? i mean i dont even see any spec  requirments 

The game isn't even close to being released, the estimated release date is somewhere around Novermber, 2014. Obviously this is first speculation about the game, and EVE will have plenty of time before this game is released, just a thought really

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Will the idea of a game like have any impacet on EVE?

No, it wont. It will have absolutley zero impact on EVE, zero.

It just an idea that is relying on people to give them millions of dollars with no legal obligation to even provide milestone updates, or prove that they are even working on it.

Ideas are easy,

Implementaion is hard,

Success is nigh impossible.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

Originally posted by Hokie

Will the idea of a game like have any impacet on EVE?

No, it wont. It will have absolutley zero impact on EVE, zero.

It just an idea that is relying on people to give them millions of dollars with no legal obligation to even provide milestone updates, or prove that they are even working on it.

Ideas are easy,

Implementaion is hard,

Success is nigh impossible.

AH ty for clarifying this. for like 2 hrs now i was mind boggled whether this game was in beta yet or not because of the pledge your citizenship. hmm i think this is a very big project. but lets face it will it actually impact eve? i doubt it. one to even run this game i mean they said i think that 1 spaceship contains 7million polygons and lowest was 100,000 which is the character i believe. in other words you really need high end systems to play this, which not many people will have. i mean if im understanding this correctly, imagine like thousands of players in 1 station main trade hub like jita. thats actually alot for jita its probably lower. but still you guys think it's even possible? im not downing the game btw im more asking questions lol

btw i'm curious. what happends to the people who donated money into this game and then for some bad reason the game couldnt be finished and it was scratched. or like worst case scenarios the game got an extended release date by 2-3 yrs?

My point was more or less until it is actually released, it will have zero impact.

And its not going to release unless they get the help of people giving them money. So as long as they get thousands or tens of thousands of people to donate a few hundered here and there, this great (and it is a great) idea of a game wont release.

And so will have zero impact on EVE.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

btw i'm curious. what happends to the people who donated money into this game and then for some bad reason the game couldnt be finished and it was scratched. or like worst case scenarios the game got an extended release date by 2-3 yrs?

Nothing happens, you lose your money. You are not an investor, you have no legal recourse. That is a donation you gave.

They arnt even obligated to use the full amount money donated in the development of the game. For all we know it could be 10% of every dollar donated goes to development and the other 90% could be going to administrative costs.

Not saying they are doing that, but there is no real protection for the donaters, or would that be donaties, from being, well more or less scammed.

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

Let us assume the game actually gets developed.

While both games are space games, there is a big difference in the play and focus of both games.  Because of this the impact would be minimal, as both appeal to a different style of play.

Based on watching his hour long presentation, Star Citizen is a Solo based simulator with a story line (like previous Wing Commander Games) and also has multiplayer universe to interact.  Also, the combat and control is the main focus; an action game where you manually fly and fire weapons.

EVE on the otherhand is more focused on economics, regional control and tactical battles where players just issue commands the system handles flight and weapon hit calculations.

Nothing happens, you lose your money. You are not an investor, you have no legal recourse. That is a donation you gave.

They arnt even obligated to use the full amount money donated in the development of the game. For all we know it could be 10% of every dollar donated goes to development and the other 90% could be going to administrative costs.

Not saying they are doing that, but there is no real protection for the donaters, or would that be donaties, from being, well more or less scammed.

You will get your money back if desired. Quote from the FAQ section of the site:

"We are encouraged by the overwhelming response to our "underground" launch site with over 20,000 registered users that we will reach, and hopefully exceed our minimum goal. We also believe that the response to our crowd funding campaign will cause certain fans and investors to step up with additional funding. Nonetheless, we are offering you the option to have your money refunded (less processing fees), should we really not reach our minimum goal. Or you may leave it in so that we can use it for additional fund raising or to continue working on the game at a reduced level."

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

This game looks like it will be great --

-- But this other part of me fears that Roberts is secretly a member of Goonswarm and this is all an eleborate hoax.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by veego590

You will get your money back if desired. Quote from the FAQ section of the site:

"We are encouraged by the overwhelming response to our "underground" launch site with over 20,000 registered users that we will reach, and hopefully exceed our minimum goal. We also believe that the response to our crowd funding campaign will cause certain fans and investors to step up with additional funding. Nonetheless, we are offering you the option to have your money refunded (less processing fees), should we really not reach our minimum goal. Or you may leave it in so that we can use it for additional fund raising or to continue working on the game at a reduced level."

That passage doesn't quite say what you think it says.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Until we see a release and a good one I'm going with no.  If they can have EVE with more action oriented combat I would say maybe.  But, I think they'll get the action combat down and fail at the rest...
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by veego590

What do you guys think of the newly announced project of "Star Citizen"? It seems to share many concepts of EVE, except for first person piloting of space ships. Im sure there are plenty of other features that distinguish the two from one another but the whole "space sandbox" genre might have some serious competion..

For those of you who don't know about the game, check it out here: (Its also on the front page of MMORPG.com)

http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

I wish the developers the best of luck. But for every World-of-Tanks, there are hundreds of forgotten casualties (and they're just the ones that even made it to launch)

99% chance it crashes and dies before they release more than a few concept trailers.

1% chance it launches in anything remotely resembling the planned form

If it launches, 90% chance it's just dreadful and crashes and dies withn a few months

If it's not dreadful, 90% chance that it won't give EVE players what they really need, which is maximum freedom to interact with each other in a single-sharded universe.

If it does give the freedom, then it will spur CCP into stealing some of their good ideas, and Star Citizen has to compete with a game that will by then have 12 or 13 years of continuous updates and feature expansions, and a decent sized player existing base.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    When and if it launches there may be an initial drawdown, just like there has been from GW2, MOP, & TL2, but they'll come back. They always come back, there's really nothing quite like EVE out there and there likely never will be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Doesn't this game gave a feature where you can play offline and level as single player?

If so can't see that working with a ffa full loot pvp model at all.
  • SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

I seem to recall that Eve players dislike item shops.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Doesn't this game gave a feature where you can play offline and level as single player?

If so can't see that working with a ffa full loot pvp model at all.

Yes, eve online allows you to level when you are offline.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    I like EVE, but I've been space sim guy, and this is the godfather of the genre. EVE doesn't satisfy my joystick piloting need, its more of an RTS space game like Sins of a Solar Empire. Not saying its bad or even in a negative light, but yeah, If I'm still playing EVE in two years, my time in it will be deminished greatly.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

why do you thikn this game reminds you of eve?????

rather looks like wing commander to me. i dont see anything reminding me of eve but he setting

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Thane

why do you thikn this game reminds you of eve?????

rather looks like wing commander to me. i dont see anything reminding me of eve but he setting

Your are correct, there is no real correlation other than they both have starts. One is a flight sim, the other is more of an rts tab target mmo. Basically still shooter vs tab in my opinion. Two different games, two different genres, unless you make the correlation that they are both sci fi(that has some merit), but other than that, unrelated at best.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

there is a money back option if they don´t reach the 2 million goal.

I didn´t check that option, Chris Robers will do the game anyway.

I got the 125$ package and I´m proud to back this project as an early adopter

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Zero. Star Citizen is a single player game with some online gameplay.  It's more focused on action rather than strategy. Eve is a true MMO and although it has some action it's more RTS than space flight simulator.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Very little. Eve is for hardcore full loot PvP, gankers, scammers and elitists and in fact has little to do with space ship sci-fi and from what I have read, Star Citizien will not be catering to those type of people but rather go for space sci-fi immersion.