Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much do you like Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by grimal

I have found it the game's fun to be very dependent on the class I play.  Originally rolled Warrior, got it to 40s and am utterly bored with it.  Took about a 2 week break from the Warrior, tried it again tonight...nope still boring.

Thief is fun.  Takes more skill than warrior so it keeps it interesting.  Yet, lack of weapons in comparison I find limiting.  When I play I sometimes wonder if playing this character is more work than needed.  With warrior I can steamroll lots of PVE mobs, but Thief I have to dodge and use skills, etc , etc....Why is there such a big difference?  What's the payoff for Thief?  I'm having fun but w/o the progression, I can only assume I will get bored before 80.

I digress.

It's a fun game, but it's short-lived.  Kind of like a movie that goes on for far too long. 

Edit: I definitely agree it's a niche game.  You are either going to LOVE it or be pretty meh about it.  At least that's what I've seen from most peoples' reactions here.

It's funny you say that. It's as you say, it's fun for a while but it wears thin very soon. As much as I criticize GW2 . Although honestly, I think I criticize what I believe to be over stated fan responses than the game itself. But anyway, As much as I think GW2 fell short of the anticipated "mark" The Guardian is one of my favorite classes in any MMO.  

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Randayn

saying this game has no endgame is a joke and blind hatred and honestly if that's what you really think there is really no point in getting in a argument with you

you've got a few open world dragons and content you could have completed before reaching 80?  So where's the end-game?

Also, I thought you haven't reached the end yet?

there is a ton of endgame but what you are saying is there is no engame you find interesting hence there is no endgame.. which to me is on thel ine of blind hatred.. basically not seeing things objectively and dismissing all that is there... there's almost 100 reviews of this game now around the web and probably more on youtube.. my giving you a list of what there is to do at endgame isn't going to change your mind obviously just read some of those or watch some youtube video. What does TSW right now offer at endgame GW2 does not.. i have as well played TSW and you can see my  older post history I have spoken very highly of it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

It's meh. Fun for a bit, and worth the $60 for me. I'll check in, play when I have time, and am bored with other stuff. Much like GW1, its good for that.

However, in a dynamic system, as far as PvE leveling goes, this games hayday is already over (until an xpack or large player draw happens in a single push). PvP is decent enough, and there are some treadmills there for those who like to ride 'em....and bots? Looks like L2, how groups of terribly named characters follow each other step for step, focus kill. There's a couple negatives for people keeping score.

As far as positives? Graphics and character creation are overall good. There is more freedom in leveling, as far as number of zones and ways to get xp. Hell, you could stay in the 1-15 zone the entire game if you want, pvp, or craft. Paid tournaments look interesting for the e-sports types.

That said, I can understand how certain people on this site get so excited about the game...but much of that is wrapped up in potential, more so than the reality of the produced game that exists today. If you are newish to mmo's, I would def recommend GW2.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I think that it's a solid foundation for the future. At the moment while GW2 does a whole lot of things right it does not feel fully complete. (for obvious reasons)

There's a certain something I can't put my finger on. A few more maps for pvp, a few areas that are lacking events or epic bosses, rewards, a bit of elite open world pve, a few more elites.

None of these are gamebreaking problems, the game is great and I am finding myself enoying it more (after initial burnout) as I take breaks to play other games too. 

Game is far from finished. It will be exciting to see what they will accomplish and how much the game will change a year from now. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    ....I am finding myself enoying it more (after initial burnout) as I take breaks to play other games too. 

Nailed it. I think this will be the key for many people to enjoy this game long-term. As more a part of a game rotation, than a sit down and waste a satuday game.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

saying this game has no endgame is a joke and blind hatred and honestly if that's what you really think there is really no point in getting in a argument with you

you've got a few open world dragons and content you could have completed before reaching 80?  So where's the end-game?

there is a ton of endgame but what you are saying is there is no engame you find interesting hence there is no endgame.. which to me is on thel ine of blind hatred.. basically not seeing things objectively and dismissing all that is there... there's almost 100 reviews of this game now around the web and probably more on youtube.. my giving you a list of what there is to do at endgame isn't going to change your mind obviously just read some of those or watch some youtube video. What does TSW right now offer at endgame GW2 does not.. i have as well played TSW and you can see my  older post history I have spoken very highly of it

Lairs, Investigation missions through updates, a raid this month, a theatre with what seems to have alot of options, nightmare mode dungeons....Unlike GW2 fans, I will not describle the things you can do prior to endgame as actual endgame content.  Please unload on me, the list of things you can do in GW2 at endgame that cannot be done prior to endgame (and not be continuous)...sure you can do a DE 15 times, but its still the same DE.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    What's up guys.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
        SOunds like alot of people are playing GW2 like its a p2p game, trying to level fast and get in as many hours early as they can.....Relax, play other games, do other things, and take it slow....Games like this dont need to be played quickly or hurriedly....Take your time and enjoy the ride.
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    It's a great game. I was playing religiously until i hit level 53 and BL2 launched. Hard to go back atm. Hilarious dialog and action in BL2 keepin' me away. I'll probably be back though, sporadically. But I don't really have many friends that play anymore and can't seem to make many in the game just because social interraction seems a bit more awkward to me. In LOTRO  (which I've played a lot) it just seems easy to team up for quests/accomplishments and such but in GW2's PVE it seems super clumsy and unintuitive.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Simply the best video game I've ever played.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

i have as well played TSW and you can see my  older post history I have spoken very highly of it

[mod edit]

just walk around everyone one the the massive main cities.. that in itself should show you how much ANET put into this game.. compare just that to any other recent MMO out there, the size and scope of this game is pretty incredible compared to what has been released in the past several years for themeparks and to me and obviously many others it's a breath of fresh air to the genre, the lack of trinity, the combat system, the multiple path branching storys, the PVE designed around a DE system, the jumping puzzles, the massive zones to explore, the amazing looking senary and equipment, the massive seige battles going on in WvW, the multitude of build choices you can put together in sPVP, sPVP right out the gate with no gear disperity, the challeging dungeons, the mystic forge,  the humor, the asura, and much more.. all this for $60 bucks and no monthly sub to me you really can't beat that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    It's OK for a while.
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Lairs, Investigation missions through updates, a raid this month, a theatre with what seems to have alot of options, nightmare mode dungeons....Unlike GW2 fans, I will not describle the things you can do prior to endgame as actual endgame content.  Please unload on me, the list of things you can do in GW2 at endgame that cannot be done prior to endgame (and not be continuous)...sure you can do a DE 15 times, but its still the same DE.

One of the main ideas behind GW2 was that you can do the typical "endgame" at any point while playing the game.  Also, they tried to make it so that even if you are a high level, you can go back to the low levels and still have at least a little challenge.

That's one of the things I love about the game.  If I want to play PvP or WvWvW, I just go there, regardless of my level (although higher levels do have an advantage over you in a one on one situation).  If I want to run a dungeon, once I pass the minimum level for the dungeon, I can still go back and find a challenge.  And if I want to go to the low level areas and do some exploring/farming, it's still fun and a bit challenging.  I personally can't stand one-shotting everything once I'm past a certain level.  It makes for incredibly boring play.

GW2, to me, is a new way of looking at things.  Some people love it, some people don't.

As for the remark about endgame being solely about not being able to do something while you're playing, I bought the game so I could play the game.  Not so I could run through something seemingly unnecessary just to get to the fun stuff.  If the point is endgame, why all the crap to level?  I want to do the fun stuff from the beginning and choose how and when I do it.  GW2 is the only game I've seen to provide that.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Its a pretty good game, is it the best MMO to come out in 8 years? IMO,no..

but a good MMO it is.

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Best MMO in the last 8 years, definitely.

Can't wait for the halloween event.

LMFAO

:)

I really struggle to understand the concept of endgame in GW2. I've seen the list of things to do at 80. I have seen all that stuff everywhere else. OK, that's fine, Therei s a lot of stuff to keep one's self occupied after 80. Mostly it's not so much that there is nothing to do, but there is little reason to do it. That's all subjective so, I really won't argue with anyone who says they are having fun at 80. I get that. But the one thing I just cannot seem to get a grasp on is this map exploration completion. Once I get to 80, I then have to go into a different starter area, I am foced into down leveling and I have to start all over again from scratch. In GW2 it's called "Endgame" In Every other MMO I've ever played, it's called "Leveling an alt"

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I really struggle to understand the concept of endgame in GW2. I've seen the list of things to do at 80. I have seen all that stuff everywhere else. OK, that's fine, Ther eis a lot of stuff to keep one's self occupied after caping. But the one thing I just cannot seem to get a grasp on is this map exploration completion. Once I get to 80, I then have to go into a different starter area, I am foced into down leveling and I have to start all over again from scratch. In GW2 it's called "Endgame" In Every other MMO I've ever played, it's called "Leveling an alt"

If you are leveling an alt, you are not completing the map.

GW1 had titles, etc. for completing maps also, so that's where the idea of it comes from.

And you're not "starting over", you are very powerful in the starter zones, but you don't just one-shot everything.  There is still a bit of a challenge, which I think is a good thing.  One-shotting is incredibly boring and unrealistic (yeah, unrealistic in a MMO, yeah, yeah, yeah). 

I really struggle to understand the concept of endgame in GW2. I've seen the list of things to do at 80. I have seen all that stuff everywhere else. OK, that's fine, Ther eis a lot of stuff to keep one's self occupied after caping. But the one thing I just cannot seem to get a grasp on is this map exploration completion. Once I get to 80, I then have to go into a different starter area, I am foced into down leveling and I have to start all over again from scratch. In GW2 it's called "Endgame" In Every other MMO I've ever played, it's called "Leveling an alt"

you are not forced to go anywhere unless map completion is one of your goals.. but to me some of the best META events are in the 1-15 zones.. the shadow behemoth is a ton of fun and so are many others.. trying to understand how people don't see how GW2 endgame works.. you are givin options. You can do what you do on most other MMOs run dungeons over and over for sweet gear.. you can PVP to your hearts content or take on any of the crafting professions. Or you can enjoy the entire massive world they created, people who generally don't find this interesting are usually the same who don't enjoy the DE system in general. You have tons of achievements and stuff to work on as well if that's your thing.. you also have tons and tons of story paths you can play through on alts if you enjoy the story and playing multiple characters like I do.

Oh also when downleveling you are MUCH stronger when you greatly outlevel an area.. like said above you aren't one-shotting but you a lot stronger overall.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I really struggle to understand the concept of endgame in GW2. I've seen the list of things to do at 80. I have seen all that stuff everywhere else. OK, that's fine, Therei s a lot of stuff to keep one's self occupied after 80. Mostly it's not so much that there is nothing to do, but there is little reason to do it. That's all subjective so, I really won't argue with anyone who says they are having fun at 80. I get that. But the one thing I just cannot seem to get a grasp on is this map exploration completion. Once I get to 80, I then have to go into a different starter area, I am foced into down leveling and I have to start all over again from scratch. In GW2 it's called "Endgame" In Every other MMO I've ever played, it's called "Leveling an alt"

70 trait points giving you access to stat buffs and procs, much better consumables with multiple stat buffs, jewelry with multiple stats, runes with multiple stats, all utility & elite skills available, armor pieces (like helmet & shoulders) which dont exist at lower levels, as well as rare / exotic / legendary gear which also dont exist at lower levels (only white and blue at first, then green after awhile).

If you consider that "starting from scratch" then I think youre beyond any help that can be found here. Its not so much like leveling an alt,  its more similar to a system like in DDO with reincarnation (kind of like starting over, but with bonuses that make you stronger), except that youre not stuck in that low level reincarnated form and can jump between low and high level content as you please.

Not sure if youv ever played DDO, but if you have you would know, and others on this site can tell you the same, that just because you hit max level doesnt mean youve reached the end. People continue through multiple reincarnations. Is there a solid endgame? No. Its about enjoying the entire game, not just the last part of the game. Same goes for GW2. Wouldnt you rather have a game that is pretty enjoyable throughout the entire thing regardless of level, instead of  a game that forces you to plow through 90% of the game as quick as possible to get to the last 10% that is supposed to be "good" and "fun"?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    More great poll results for GW2.  Nothing new to see here.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Best MMO in the last 8 years, definitely.

Can't wait for the halloween event.

yep almost didn't vote because i was playing :)

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    More great poll results for GW2.  Nothing new to see here.

Still you're looking?

:)

Originally posted by kaiser3282

70 trait points giving you access to stat buffs and procs, much better consumables with multiple stat buffs, jewelry with multiple stats, runes with multiple stats, all utility & elite skills available, armor pieces (like helmet & shoulders) which dont exist at lower levels, as well as rare / exotic / legendary gear which also dont exist at lower levels (only white and blue at first, then green after awhile).

If you consider that "starting from scratch" then I think youre beyond any help that can be found here. Its not so much like leveling an alt,  its more similar to a system like in DDO with reincarnation (kind of like starting over, but with bonuses that make you stronger), except that youre not stuck in that low level reincarnated form and can jump between low and high level content as you please.

Not sure if youv ever played DDO, but if you have you would know, and others on this site can tell you the same, that just because you hit max level doesnt mean youve reached the end. People continue through multiple reincarnations. Is there a solid endgame? No. Its about enjoying the entire game, not just the last part of the game. Same goes for GW2. Wouldnt you rather have a game that is pretty enjoyable throughout the entire thing regardless of level, instead of  a game that forces you to plow through 90% of the game as quick as possible to get to the last 10% that is supposed to be "good" and "fun"?

One's overall power compared to the zone is irrelevant. Go buy a full set of BoA gear in WoW and put max enchants on it and start an alt. It will be the same effect. Yes, I understand that I'm not contributing to my map completion on a single character, but that's only one aspect of it. The main point s that I am still "preogresing" through starter zone content as a low level toon. It's a task, it needs to be done. I'm not even saying it wouldn't be fun. I have always played lots of alts. But I would hardly define it as "endgame"

One's overall power compared to the zone is irrelevant. Go buy a full set of BoA gear in WoW and put max enchants on it and start an alt. It will be the same effect. Yes, I understand that I'm not contributing to my map completion on a single character, but that's only one aspect of it. The main point s that I am still "preogresing" through starter zone content as a low level toon. It's a task, it needs to be done. I'm not even saying it wouldn't be fun. I have always played lots of alts. But I would hardly define it as "endgame"

I think what Arenanet it trying to do is get people to look past "endgame" and just play the game.  In other words, stop trying to look ahead at what may be to come and just play whatever and however you want to play.

Some people won't see it that way and that's fine.    Personally, though, I'd rather just play.

Originally posted by evolver1972

I think what Arenanet it trying to do is get people to look past "endgame" and just play the game.  In other words, stop trying to look ahead at what may be to come and just play whatever and however you want to play.

Some people won't see it that way and that's fine.    Personally, though, I'd rather just play.

At least that makes sense. OK, then, I'll just say "it is what it is"