Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: NYCC Panel with Wizards of the Coast & MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com, Perfect World Entertainment, Cryptic Studios and Wizards of the Coast are all co-sponsoring a panel at this weekend's New York Comic Con. Titled "Neverwinter Adventure Zones: From Campaign Guide to MMO World", the panel will discuss the unique challenges of bringing a pen and paper game into being an MMO.

The first 200 attendees will be receiving a free Neverwinter t-shirt, and following the panel  there will be a raffle for a free Cyborg F.R.E.Q. 5 Gaming headset, and AMD Radeon HD 6870 Graphics Card, and a Logitech Prize Pack including a G400 Gaming Mouse, and G510 Gaming Keyboard. Everyone attending the panel will also receive a closed beta code for Neverwinter, which can be redeemed right away (We’ll let you know once the Closed Beta Begins should you redeem the code), the code will also provide access to a free in-game item once the game goes live!

Read the full post on the Neverwinter site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It all depends on how PW monitizes this game.  My guess is people will not like how they implement the cash shop.

Going to take a wait and see attitude until we see how expensive it is going to be to play.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

After an hour or so of work, you finish a dungeon, kill the boss and he drops.... a lockbox.  You can now sell it on the auction house for enough money to buy a drink in the game or you can pay a dollar and a quarter to see what is inside.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

If this game will be a D&D table game simulator i will so play it,but

It is starting bad,i just cant log in with my previously created acc,its just refusing it like i never registered

PS: no n00b acc pass or username misstakes

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    A box price and purely cosmetic cash shop would be better...people will shun this if they try exploiting the players... revive now immediatly here for 2 bucks or.restart from.the.beginning...lol
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Lol
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Talonsin

After an hour or so of work, you finish a dungeon, kill the boss and he drops.... a lockbox.  You can now sell it on the auction house for enough money to buy a drink in the game or you can pay a dollar and a quarter to see what is inside.

The lockbox drop system does not work that way.  Lockboxs have the potential to drop from any enemy, which does include bosses, but that in no way means that lockboxs will be the only loot.  If my experience with lockboxs tells me anything, its that if a lockbox drops, that does not exclude the possibility of regular loot dropping from the same mob at the same time as the lockbox.  I have had lockboxs and regular loot drop from the same mob plenty of times.

Also, Star Trek Online is the only Cryptic game with lockboxs.  Champions Online does not have lockboxs, and Neverwinter will not necessarily have them either.

Also, I can't help but notice that people are only complaining about lockboxs in Star Trek Online and not, oh say the Black Lion Chests in Guild Wars 2 that use the EXACT SAME drop system, requires SIMILARLY PRICED keys, and DO NOT have any possibility of dropping rare equipment.  In other words, STAR TREK ONLINE LOCKBOXS ARE, DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR, A BETTER DEAL THAN GUILD WARS 2 BLACK LION CHESTS AND GIVE BETTER INCENTIVES FOR BUYING THE KEYS TO OPEN THEM.

I am not hating on Guild Wars 2.  I love it.  I play it every day.  However, one thing that ticks me off is when people complain about something that not only is something that isn't worth complaining over, but something that is actually better than something done the exact same say in another game that nobody complains about (that and people baselessly thinking said system, that in no way hampers the experience of a game, will be implemented in another game by the same company, and will be used to hamper the gaming experience of the new game).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ MadDemon64

Well said bro, most won't bash there favorite game, and turn a blind eye to the fact that there favorite game has the same cheeky scheme also.. But you know what they'll say? They'll say oh, its not pay to win but if a system like that is in neverwinter, its gonna come down to it being paid to win because stats matter alot...
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Also, I can't help but notice that people are only complaining about lockboxs in Star Trek Online and not, oh say the Black Lion Chests in Guild Wars 2 that use the EXACT SAME drop system, requires SIMILARLY PRICED keys, and DO NOT have any possibility of dropping rare equipment.  In other words, STAR TREK ONLINE LOCKBOXS ARE, DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR, A BETTER DEAL THAN GUILD WARS 2 BLACK LION CHESTS AND GIVE BETTER INCENTIVES FOR BUYING THE KEYS TO OPEN THEM.

I am not hating on Guild Wars 2.  I love it.  I play it every day.  However, one thing that ticks me off is when people complain about something that not only is something that isn't worth complaining over, but something that is actually better than something done the exact same say in another game that nobody complains about (that and people baselessly thinking said system, that in no way hampers the experience of a game, will be implemented in another game by the same company, and will be used to hamper the gaming experience of the new game).

I get what you are saying, but you have to appreciate that it's the fact that the GW2 boxes do *not* have anything that's really that desirable in them that makes them a 'lighter' version of the model?

If the BL boxes had a chance to drop rare gear or whatever then that would actually make them more exploitative, not less.

And I have to ask... do the keys drop in world off mobs or 'quest' rewards (and in the boxes themselves) in STO like they do in GW2?

Because in GW2 I have opened a ton of boxes and never once purchased a key...

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The point many of you above are forgetting is PW now owns Cryptic.  That changes the cash shop dynamics drastically.   PW is well known for having some of the most expensive cash shops in the genre.

I have no problems putting money into a game that I like.  I put some money into Perfect World until I realized what a huge money sink that game was.  That is what I have trouble with and why I am going to take a wait and see attitude.  If they make the cash shop mandatory, like it is in their other games, then they can take their game and shove it.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I still don't understand the F2Player mentality.  I'm seeing more and more of these types that:

1. Want a high quality F2P game

2. Complain when too much emphasis is placed on a cash shop

3. Complain a lot!

If the price of the software is free, and the cost of access is free.  How is the developer supposed to make money so that the service can continue to be free?  Money has to be made somewhere... and if its not ads... then its going to be from YOU the player.  So doesn't it make sense that they fill the cash shop with all sorts of goodies and run all sorts of promotions to encourage you to actually spend money?  Of course it does!

Just the other day, I was reading an AION news bit and in the comments alone, some claimed the game had the best cash shop and some claimed it had the worst!  You guys don't even know what you want!  I just don't understand it.  If anyone deserves blame for ruining this genre, its us... the players (and yes, some devs have had their part)!

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59

i would rather pay a sub any day than have to dael w/cash shops. I want to pay my 15 buck and not worry about it.

F2P ends up costing more in the long run.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by rwyan

I still don't understand the F2Player mentality.  I'm seeing more and more of these types that:

1. Want a high quality F2P game

2. Complain when too much emphasis is placed on a cash shop

3. Complain a lot!

If the price of the software is free, and the cost of access is free.  How is the developer supposed to make money so that the service can continue to be free?  Money has to be made somewhere... and if its not ads... then its going to be from YOU the player.  So doesn't it make sense that they fill the cash shop with all sorts of goodies and run all sorts of promotions to encourage you to actually spend money?  Of course it does!

Just the other day, I was reading an AION news bit and in the comments alone, some claimed the game had the best cash shop and some claimed it had the worst!  You guys don't even know what you want!  I just don't understand it.  If anyone deserves blame for ruining this genre, its us... the players (and yes, some devs have had their part)!

Think of it this way:

Yes the game is F2P

Yes the game has a cash shop. and ther is a huge difference between Cryptics/PWs Shop and others.

I play eden Eternal, Perfect World, Star Trek Online, and World of Tanks. I have seen several shops nad have to say that yeah a 15 buck a month sub isnt missed but when you start to add up the cost of the points you purchase and then the amount of points needed to purchase a said item it gets to cost far more than a 15 buck a month sub. and thats the real side of it.

Consider this: In WoW you want to collect a hell of alot of mounts, vanity pets, even Legendaries you can go out and do it either solo or in parties. Some require quests, others are drops/reps. All youve invested is Time... And the 15/month sub as stated previously.

oh and for those who dont know the math Ive played WoW since the release of Vanilla.. My total investment to date: 1440 - 60 (Hospitalization) so.. $1380 over 9 years. oh and 2 bucks for the authenticator.. sorry :p

So now we get to the F2P games I played STO for about 3 months collected over 500 lock boxes.. first ferengi then the veloren? not sure what the new ones are... i trashed them immediately... anyway so what was  it a buck or two per key for those lock boxes? damn thats 500-1000 in 3-4 months of play....and that still doesnt count the constitution class Enterprise I bought, nor the Tri Vector assault Cruiser.... well lets just say if I played STO for 9 years and tried to keep up with it and Open the lock boxes for the chnce of getting a new ship or pet ... hell itll cost far more than the 1300+ I spent for WOW..

In the end If you are whining about Subs you have no clue what you are talking about .. Its a simple fact.. F2P games tend to be far more costly when you dont have that reminder of how much youve spent...

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery