Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much do you like Guild Wars 2?

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Well the question is quite blunt.

I will go for number 5.

You?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

These days I try many games (MMORPGs or otherwise) and generaly I can't play most of them, with many being abandoned within the first 5 or 10 minutes.

Maybe I'm becoming old.

GW2 is one of the few recent games (I've no problem playing some classics) that I've no problem losing myself in for hours.

My /age shows 244 hours over the last 48 days across all my characters (aff to that some 100 hours of betas/stress tests) - I can easily see myself reaching 5K to 10K hours in this game if Anet keeps the tradition of improving and delivering good content with expansions and not making the Cash Shop a problem.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

Best MMO in the last 8 years, definitely.

Can't wait for the halloween event.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• slingblade25slingblade25 Member Posts: 33
    Tried lots of MMORPGs the last few years and I enjoy this one the best. Just my opinion.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Overall, one of the best games Ive played in years. Though admittedly it has grown boring to me. Not because of something like "no endgame" (IMO the whole endgame mindset is stupid), but simply because of the themepark style and combat. I prefer sandboxes and different styles of gameplay. It did make some nice changes from other games, but its still close enough to your standard MMO combat that after awhile I kind of feel like "yeah ive already done this for years". I really wish someone would finally come out with some completely new combat mechanics. Not going to go into detail about it here.... but yeah, theres so many ways combat could be vastly different between these games. Its a shame its stayed the way it has for all these years. But as far as GW2, its excellent for what it is and way above nearly any of the other similar types of games to release in the past decade.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Best MMORPG i´ve played in the last  years.

Can´t wait for the Halloween Event  ^^

imageimage

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Well World of Warcraft started out years and years ago as a fresh new game, and now for me it's GW2.  I think it will only get better the next couple of years with more and more content and player suggested changes.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289
    Was fun for a month.  I got my 60$ of enjoyment from it.  Might come back later to see whats new.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Zzad

Best MMORPG i´ve played in the last  years.

Can´t wait for the Halloween Event  ^^

imageimage

same... hit my 230 hour mark and urge to play still RISING:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

You really need better pole options, very little in terms of middle ground and a lot aren't very 'percise'. A simple 1-10 rating probably could of worked if possible but eh, I digress for now.

Its okay for a while though I got bored pretty quick of it. Just got boring after a few hours even just starting and now I have no real desire to play. Was hoping to enjoy at least leveling alts but Its the same old grind over and over again and the way its done it doesn't give me enough sense of 'accomplishment like other games did to make it feel worth wild.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    It's not a bad game, just a grindy game that feels generic.  I had a little bit of fun, but it had worn thin too quickly.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

Has some good work done to it, but I think the overall game concept is not there.

Has some good combat times in PvE, as it got away from the one on one encounter which games led to the bad grind.

The PvP though, just a zergfest and I think we are done with this type of online fighting. Its not that fun, rather its absolutely pointless.

Too much work going into allt these classes and races, and that left no time to sit down and design the actual game... Seems to be common headline for new MMORPG's

Originally posted by Randayn
    It's not a bad game, just a grindy game that feels generic.  I had a little bit of fun, but it had worn thin too quickly.

for a grindy generic game that gets boring fast you do seem to have a keen continued interest in it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

It does a lot of things really great.  Recently though, it hasn't had me playing for hours.  What's great about this though is that I don't feel obligated to play and I can play whenever I feel like it.  I might not be as excited about playing, but I do play almost everyday for about 30 min - 2 hours.  I really like he fact that I can play like that and have fun in short bursts.  

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by pmcubed
    Was fun for a month.  I got my 60$ of enjoyment from it.  Might come back later to see whats new.

+1

Originally posted by Aerowyn

for a grindy generic game that gets boring fast you do seem to have a keen continued interest in it

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I've given you detailed and objective reasons why this game is not great...to call it blind hatred is crazy.  I will never hate something just to hate it.  I dislike the direction MMO's are going in and believe that staying silent would only speed up the process.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I've given you detailed and objective reasons why this game is not great...to call it blind hatred is crazy.  I will never hate something just to hate it.  I dislike the direction MMO's are going in and believe that staying silent would only speed up the process.

trust me bitching 24/7 on these forums will get you nowhere:) funny you complain you hate the direction MMOs are going yet the first themepark to take the biggest departure from the norm you feel is ruining the genre

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Voted it's okay for awhile. 'Cause, you know, that's what it is.

Was great at first, leveling with the DE's and such. But eventually it started to feel just like the standard leveling format but were zerged half the time and made the experience even worse than standard questing.

Once I maxed two characters, I realized I could repeat dungeons (which wasn't fun) or PVP besides starting a new character. I still hop in time to time to PVP some, and got my $60 worth out of it (bought $15 in gems too and don't regret it at all). 

But it's far from a game I can sit down and play a few hours on my off days and have fun. All IMO of course.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

trust me bitching 24/7 on these forums will get you nowhere:) funny you complain you hate the direction MMOs are going yet the first themepark to take the biggest departure from the norm you feel is ruining the genre

Objectively prove to me how it departs from the norm (and not by subtracting things) but by adding things.  Please?  I've been waiting for a clear explanation.  Im sure one can't be put together because Ive heard and contested it all with honesty, not subjective behavior (if I do, I will state that it is only my opinion).

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

btw, I play TSW all the time, so not sure what you are talking about?  If it's end-game you consider to be the only determining factor for what "takes the biggest departure from the norm" than you must confess that no endgame at all can only be worse than what is the norm...not better...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

As much as I might know Im being a complete troll...Im also very interested in exposing it for a the complete fraud it is.  The fact that it's success will spawn other companies to make more trash games similar to it, makes me want to never stop.

so blind hatred.. gotcha

I don't hate the game, I've had my fun. I even rerolled a New Ele yesterday and ran around for a few hrs. But to call it a complete departure is false. It's a complete repackage. But that's all it is.

It's like being told all year long, you are going to get somehing very special on Father's Day and the build up is big. The family keeps pushing. "Just you wait" and the day of the event, you are presented with a beautiful package. And you open it up and it's a tie. Yeah, it's a pretty one. It's got different patterns than all the other ties in the closet, but it's still a tie.

Sorry, but GW2 has it's foundations in the EQ/WoW formula as much as Rift and SWTOR. Instead of making a better WoW, they looked a WoW and based it on what not to do. In the end, GW2 was still created to gather up a certain type of WoW straggler. That's why it will never be more than a niche game.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lasted about 4 days. As a online multiplayer game maybe good but as a mmo one of the worst I ever played. Way to shallow and simplistic. I want depth and real immersive social character progression.
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

As much as I might know Im being a complete troll...Im also very interested in exposing it for a the complete fraud it is.  The fact that it's success will spawn other companies to make more trash games similar to it, makes me want to never stop.

so blind hatred.. gotcha

I don't hate the game, I've had my fun. I even rerolled a New Ele yesterday and ran around for a few hrs. But to call it a complete departure is false. It's a complete repackage. But that's all it is.

It's like being told all year long, you are going to get somehing very special on Father's Day and the build up is big. The family keeps pushing. "Just you wait" and the day of the event, you are presented with a beautiful package. And you open it up and it's a tie. Yeah, it's a pretty one. It's got different patterns than all the other ties in the closet, but it's still a tie.

Sorry, but GW2 has it's foundations in the EQ/WoW formula as much as Rift and SWTOR. Instead of making a better WoW, they looked a WoW and based it on what not to do. In the end, GW2 was still created to gather up a certain type of WoW straggler. That's why it will never be more than a niche game.

the Geezer speaks...I must bow in silence...(not joking....love your posts)

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I have found it the game's fun to be very dependent on the class I play.  Originally rolled Warrior, got it to 40s and am utterly bored with it.  Took about a 2 week break from the Warrior, tried it again tonight...nope still boring.

Thief is fun.  Takes more skill than warrior so it keeps it interesting.  Yet, lack of weapons in comparison I find limiting.  When I play I sometimes wonder if playing this character is more work than needed.  With warrior I can steamroll lots of PVE mobs, but Thief I have to dodge and use skills, etc , etc....Why is there such a big difference?  What's the payoff for Thief?  I'm having fun but w/o the progression, I can only assume I will get bored before 80.

I digress.

It's a fun game, but it's short-lived.  Kind of like a movie that goes on for far too long. 

Edit: I definitely agree it's a niche game.  You are either going to LOVE it or be pretty meh about it.  At least that's what I've seen from most peoples' reactions here.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

btw, I play TSW all the time, so not sure what you are talking about?  If it's end-game you consider to be the only determining factor for what "takes the biggest departure from the norm" than you must confess that no endgame at all can only be worse than what is the norm...not better...

saying this game has no endgame is a joke and blind hatred and honestly if that's what you really think there is really no point in getting in a argument with you

saying this game has no endgame is a joke and blind hatred and honestly if that's what you really think there is really no point in getting in a argument with you

you've got a few open world dragons and content you could have completed before reaching 80?  So where's the end-game?

Also, I thought you haven't reached the end yet?