Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Halloween Event Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has updated the official Guild Wars 2 site with a new post called "The Shadow of the Mad King". The post details Halloween thrills and chills in Tyria. There will be new items for sale in the Black Lion Trading post, festive decor around the game world, special PvP events, new mini-dungeons and bosses and much more.

Halloween has a long history in Tyria, and in times past was always marked by the spirit of Mad King Thorn cavorting among the people unleashing his own brand of insanity. However, it’s been over 250 years since he was last seen, and for most people he is merely a figure of folklore. Despite this, rumors persist among the populace that something wicked this way comes.

Shadow of the Mad King is slated to go live on Guild Wars 2 servers on October 22nd.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

wicked!

Can´t wait to meet the Mad King again 250 years later....^^

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    That's not the only thing comin mmorpg.com. Can't wait!
  • kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    I would not call this press release Event Details there are no real details.  I would call it a event hype. The only detail we got was that the events start on 22 October.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

"The world continues to evolve with new events, jumping puzzles, bosses, mini-dungeons, and achievements appearing across a variety of maps."

Cant wait for those updates on the 22nd

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Zzad

wicked!

That pic is so awesome. 

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Zzad

wicked!

That pic is so awesome. 

All three pics released with it are pretty sweet.  But my favorite is the neonish Lions Arch.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Msenge

All three pics released with it are pretty sweet.  But my favorite is the neonish Lions Arch.

The "neonish" Lions Arch is now my wallpaper^^

It´s my fav too :D

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Sweet, looking forward to it :)
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I bet he don't look a day over 200!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Now I know how my Boston Terrier feels.  I got so excited I tinkled a little.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

you! i too got an awesome new wallpaper now! 

special events like Halloween and Wintersday has always been Anet's specialty, so dont miss this update!

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by kzaske
    I would not call this press release Event Details there are no real details.  I would call it a event hype. The only detail we got was that the events start on 22 October.

I don't know about you but even though we didn't get any details on the event we got plenty on what is in the update. And I'm totally happy with that.

This is not a game.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

"Never one to miss out on an opportunity, Evon Gnashblade has stocked all new items at the Black Lion Trading Company, including Halloween costumes and new transforms that will allow you to play Costume Brawl with fellow costumed players."

What? O__o

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

was hoping for more details

also curious what is coming October 28

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6796/Colin-Johanssen-on-the-Live-Teams-the-Future.html/page/1

MMORPG.com:  Halloween!  Let's talk ghouls and ghosts... what's coming next week? Are there any chances at non-holiday events as a part of this team's focus?  Just world events that stir up the usual day to day? Sort of like what we saw at the end of the beta events?

Colin Johanson: News on Halloween will be coming shortly! And if your readers are planning ahead, they should make sure in particular to save Sunday, October 28th on their calendar in particular for a very special mid-day (Pacific Time) event.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Halloween-Update-Anticipation-Merged/first#post350406

ColinJohanson  Game Director
    There is more than just Halloween coming in October…What those things are? You’ll just have to wait and see, keep an eye on our website and blog for more information in the coming weeks.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948
    Originally posted by Nadia

was hoping for more details

also curious what is coming October 28

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6796/Colin-Johanssen-on-the-Live-Teams-the-Future.html/page/1

MMORPG.com:  Halloween!  Let's talk ghouls and ghosts... what's coming next week? Are there any chances at non-holiday events as a part of this team's focus?  Just world events that stir up the usual day to day? Sort of like what we saw at the end of the beta events?

Colin Johanson: News on Halloween will be coming shortly! And if your readers are planning ahead, they should make sure in particular to save Sunday, October 28th on their calendar in particular for a very special mid-day (Pacific Time) event.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Halloween-Update-Anticipation-Merged/first#post350406

ColinJohanson  Game Director
    There is more than just Halloween coming in October…What those things are? You’ll just have to wait and see, keep an eye on our website and blog for more information in the coming weeks.

Hmm, forgot to read that. I originally thought that Colin was hinting at some kind of one-time event.

• ChippyShawChippyShaw Member Posts: 1

Can't wait for this!

Halloooweeen!

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    I think thats the perfect amount of detail given, and I hope they do  not release more. A suprise is always better than a perceived validity of content. It's hard for mmo's to suprise anyone, so I'm looking forward to the unknown.
  • BobRichmondBobRichmond Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Since it mentions midday on the 28th (a Sunday) I would expect a meta-event like the "Hunger Games" event we saw during a BWE.

Bob

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I have no idea what to expect.  Don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I do hope its really a big update and not just a bunch of tweaks, nerfs and halloween transformation potions.  Seems to me they really need to get on the ball, keeping people interested, with content updates and the like.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

This is the part that interests me about the info.

Tyria Evolving

The world continues to evolve with new events, jumping puzzles, bosses, mini-dungeons, and achievements appearing across a variety of maps.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• moldrathmoldrath Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Excited about the Halloween stuff in the Black Lion. Sounds like i need to save some cash. Lol.

• RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Jack O Lanterns? Srrsly? If I owned/ran/controlled/directed/created/headed an MMORPG I would eliminate all Earth holidays unless the world was Earth, as it completley annihilates any unique sense of being somewhere other than Earth. Obviously they started their own folklore, yes I played GW years ago, but Jack O Lanterns aren't the direction a unique non-Earth holiday should go, maybe a fruit or vegetable that doesn't exist carved into something unique, but then again all MMORPG designers are brain dead so why do I even bother mentioning why their ideas are garbage, they will never listen

--- Razimus

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Actually its perfect for GW2. A public holiday that players will associate with and then log in. While logged in they may be tempted into the games cash shop and make some credit card purchases. ArenaNet make a lot of bucks by nickle and diming players after game purchase, They don't even need you to actively play GW2 at all, just log in at a world event, and hoepfully get caried away by the good spirit of it and reach for your wallet and make those virtual item purchases.
  • AlluraAAlluraA Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by QSatu

"Never one to miss out on an opportunity, Evon Gnashblade has stocked all new items at the Black Lion Trading Company, including Halloween costumes and new transforms that will allow you to play Costume Brawl with fellow costumed players."

What? O__o

Costume brawl is something they did in the first game.  Its, perhaps a play on the words, "costume ball?" It was one of many festival PVP events.  In this one, you would enter, be disguised and get a new set of skills to use.  I thought it was very fun. 

Originally Posted by Razimus

"Jack O Lanterns? Srrsly? If I owned/ran/controlled/directed/created/headed an MMORPG I would eliminate all Earth holidays unless the world was Earth, as it completley annihilates any unique sense of being somewhere other than Earth. Obviously they started their own folklore, yes I played GW years ago, but Jack O Lanterns aren't the direction a unique non-Earth holiday should go, maybe a fruit or vegetable that doesn't exist carved into something unique, but then again all MMORPG designers are brain dead so why do I even bother mentioning why their ideas are garbage, they will never listen"

The guild wars universe, at least in the first game, and it seems logical that the second game would follow (but who knows with these things) had many of its own world's holidays and festivals.  It also has cultures, races and continents that do not partake of certain holidays. As for the earth holidays- the people behind the computer screens are part of this world, and that is who they are selling the game to. The original Guild Wars did their holiday events very well, and those events were what brought back the player base that didn't play all the year round.  It was also the time of the year that they added the new cash costumes to the shop that you see everyone wearing. Even the holidays that resemble our own have their own flavor within that world.  I'm a person who isn't into western holidays at all but got enjoyment from Guild Wars' version of them.  It isn't only guild wars, though, most MMO's have their own holidays/festivals in addition to those that resemble ours.