Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what's it worth and my 2 cents

Comments

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I still having fun in the game, I'm quite surprised myself, I'm a so called a MMO jumper, try out the new games having fun for 2-3 weeks and rarely sub for the second month.

With GW2 is a whole new story  I'm still playing and having fun, I play as much as I would a sub game so if this would have been a sub game I would be happy to pay another month heck a 3 month sub straight up.

I find the game refreshing and breeze of fresh air It might have to do I don't have to follow a narrow path from quest hub to quest inorder to trigger the next clump of quests.

I understand all you who didn't liked the game and no I won't write you play it wrong but what I would like to know why some write that GW2 is excactly like the rest of the lot, I've read several people writing that DE been done before so It's nothing new.

Can you please direct me to that game beacuse I have played most major MMO since UO and I have never seen a game that have GW2 type of DE and no WAR is not the same thing.

My point with this topic is besides having a lot of fun is, where is that game that is excactly like GW2, I would really want to know, plenty of people seems to know it they always write that GW2 is same old same old and still I find GW2 a completly new MMO experince.

You all take care now and don't forget a beer here and there is always nice.

Just need to run to the next heart...I mean hub...I mean "heart"...

And how exactly are the DE from GW2 different than the PQs from WAR? In both games all I had to do was stand in the same spot and wait for it to trigger again, where is this huge difference people keep yapping about?

awesome pic!!  got the tattoo on my left arm

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Some people are able to solo champions on any class in GW2, others not. Why? Because GW2 relies more on player skill than on stats and gear. So people who suck... will suck, there's no gear which will make them able to compensate for their lack of skill. There's no raid gear or +5000 resilience gear which will make you able to faceroll content you would not have a chance in hell beating with the normal gear.

I see people toasted in events all the time because they play GW2 like a WoW clone. Well, sorry, but those people suck (at playing GW2). You have the same people them posting on forums that the game is simplistic and lacks strategy and skill. There are quite a few right here on these forums.

you're doing wrong...

I do know what you're saying because TSW requires the same things, but I find it hard to believe that you can strategize as much in GW2 than you can in TSW.  I only need mention the fact that weapons and skills are tied to each to prove that.  And strategize does not equal twich combat tactics...that's not strategy

Having played both there is a great deal more strategy involved in GW2 than in TSW. Things like combo fields add a layer, your utility skills add a layer, your traits add a layer. And yes on top of that GW2 has twitch combat. 

But something like an Eng for example. Utility skills like Bomb kit, Grenade kit, Flame Thrower, Tool Kit, Elixer gun all completely change how your character plays. Not only do you need to setup right before something like a dungeon run or specific encounter in the dungeon, but you also need to strategize on what skill to use and when and what skills within which kit work well with others. I mean switching to flame thrower and throwing down a fire field, flipping to grenades and throwing glue and poison to turn around and switch to main weapon rifle to shoot through the fire field so that you've added burning and poison on top of all the damage you just did, dropping a Big O'l Bomb when they start to get close so that it knocks them back when they do reach you... well my friend thats a bit of strategy. 

Can you give me a better strategic example from TSW?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Sad really, the ones I'm asking in my OP don't want to respond to my questions :(

The post comes off as troll bait no offense. But imo WARs PQ's and Rifts well RIFTS are very simmilar to GW2's DE system. You can argue it until your blue in the face but the sad fact is that DE's have been done before. The system itself has been around for a while, it just wasn't called DEs. DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.

TY, but it seems many like to see through rose colored goggles when it comes to this game any criticism just doesn't cut it when were talking about the second coming.....

Isn't it odd that the only people who claim GW2 is the "second coming" are still the people who have nothing but criticism for the game?  For the rest of us who actually bought and play the game just call it an MMO....  /shrug

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by Slampig

I still having fun in the game, I'm quite surprised myself, I'm a so called a MMO jumper, try out the new games having fun for 2-3 weeks and rarely sub for the second month.

With GW2 is a whole new story  I'm still playing and having fun, I play as much as I would a sub game so if this would have been a sub game I would be happy to pay another month heck a 3 month sub straight up.

I find the game refreshing and breeze of fresh air It might have to do I don't have to follow a narrow path from quest hub to quest inorder to trigger the next clump of quests.

I understand all you who didn't liked the game and no I won't write you play it wrong but what I would like to know why some write that GW2 is excactly like the rest of the lot, I've read several people writing that DE been done before so It's nothing new.

Can you please direct me to that game beacuse I have played most major MMO since UO and I have never seen a game that have GW2 type of DE and no WAR is not the same thing.

My point with this topic is besides having a lot of fun is, where is that game that is excactly like GW2, I would really want to know, plenty of people seems to know it they always write that GW2 is same old same old and still I find GW2 a completly new MMO experince.

Just need to run to the next heart...I mean hub...I mean "heart"...

And how exactly are the DE from GW2 different than the PQs from WAR? In both games all I had to do was stand in the same spot and wait for it to trigger again, where is this huge difference people keep yapping about?

No worries, happy to explain. First off lets address the hearts. They are for new players and help guide them in the begining parts of the game. Later zones have no hearts. This is simply something in game to help those use to the quest hubs wheen themselves off.  Honest mistake from someone that hasn't played, or at least hasn't played long. No worries though, it happens. 

As far as how are DE's different from PQ's thats a bit trickier. It's best explained with a video I think. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTF9T4oQ480&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwmtVFoZAKA&feature=plcp

Simply put, the differences are HUGE. 

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Some people are able to solo champions on any class in GW2, others not. Why? Because GW2 relies more on player skill than on stats and gear. So people who suck... will suck, there's no gear which will make them able to compensate for their lack of skill. There's no raid gear or +5000 resilience gear which will make you able to faceroll content you would not have a chance in hell beating with the normal gear.

I see people toasted in events all the time because they play GW2 like a WoW clone. Well, sorry, but those people suck (at playing GW2). You have the same people them posting on forums that the game is simplistic and lacks strategy and skill. There are quite a few right here on these forums.

you're doing wrong...

I do know what you're saying because TSW requires the same things, but I find it hard to believe that you can strategize as much in GW2 than you can in TSW.  I only need mention the fact that weapons and skills are tied to each to prove that.  And strategize does not equal twich combat tactics...that's not strategy

You could also argue that an MMO with turn based combat has more "skill" than TSW because you have time to set up specific skills before each combat turn. But I don't think so. Setting up strategy before a fight doesn't necessarily equal deeper strategy.

Playing the thief with their ability to stealth themselves, stealth teammates, dodge, apply poisons and bleeds, to slow or root the enemy, and teleport around the area often is a lot of strategy for an mmo. Maybe real time strategy requires more creativity and skill than pre-configured strategy?

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

you're doing wrong...

Having played both there is a great deal more strategy involved in GW2 than in TSW. Things like combo fields add a layer, your utility skills add a layer, your traits add a layer. And yes on top of that GW2 has twitch combat. 

But something like an Eng for example. Utility skills like Bomb kit, Grenade kit, Flame Thrower, Tool Kit, Elixer gun all completely change how your character plays. Not only do you need to setup right before something like a dungeon run or specific encounter in the dungeon, but you also need to strategize on what skill to use and when and what skills within which kit work well with others. I mean switching to flame thrower and throwing down a fire field, flipping to grenades and throwing glue and poison to turn around and switch to main weapon rifle to shoot through the fire field so that you've added burning and poison on top of all the damage you just did, dropping a Big O'l Bomb when they start to get close so that it knocks them back when they do reach you... well my friend thats a bit of strategy. 

Again, when i say strategy I'm not talking about twitch.  YOu are talking about FPS type strategy, which I call twitch...it's where you must react on the fly. 

A great example of TSW's strategy implementation is what I've said before.  You must use the skill wheel carefully and understand all the skills you use....you have to create a synergy with them so that they help each other.  When you do that, the combat becomes easy.  If you don't do that, the combat is anything but easy...can become impossible with a bad enough build.  This is a way of punishing the player for not thinking, rather that, in your explanation, punishing an MMORPG player for not being able to use FPS strat/twitch.  

Originally posted by Normike

you're doing wrong...

You could also argue that an MMO with turn based combat has more "skill" than TSW because you have time to set up specific skills before each combat turn. But I don't think so. Setting up strategy before a fight doesn't necessarily equal deeper strategy.

Playing the thief with their ability to stealth themselves, stealth teammates, dodge, apply poisons and bleeds, to slow or root the enemy, and teleport around the area often is a lot of strategy for an mmo. Maybe real time strategy requires more creativity and skill than pre-configured strategy?

I would say that real time strat involves more reaction and instinct, pre-configured strategy requires careful though and an awareness for unintended consequences that could crop up.  It's the difference between Chess and Lazer Tag

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

you're doing wrong...

Again, when i say strategy I'm not talking about twitch.  YOu are talking about FPS type strategy, which I call twitch...it's where you must react on the fly. 

A great example of TSW's strategy implementation is what I've said before.  You must use the skill wheel carefully and understand all the skills you use....you have to create a synergy with them so that they help each other.  When you do that, the combat becomes easy.  If you don't do that, the combat is anything but easy...can become impossible with a bad enough build.  This is a way of punishing the player for not thinking, rather that, in your explanation, punishing an MMORPG player for not being able to use FPS strat/twitch.  

Here is Tsw skill wheel: go with is OP at that moment and insta win. If I can go on the internet, look up a build, it does not require skill. Games like Starcraft 2, Guild Wars 2, Lol (to an extent), and even Legend of Zelda require skill.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

you're doing wrong...

GW2 borrows the skill bar from GW1 with modifications. It is not twitch based but more like turn based strategy. The reason I say this is the builds can have alot of synergy, such as Flame wall from an ele so Rangers can then shoot through to have flaming arrows. The same can be done with skills from the Guardians and Mesmers also for different affects.

In GW2, you have to understand your skills also AND you also can load in different weapons for their skills also.

I found TSW's implementation more of Mash button 1 and 2 then finish with 3 - not much strategy there but I didn't like the game enough to get the the more difficult areas.

Originally posted by KingJiggly

you're doing wrong...

Here is Tsw skill wheel: go with is OP at that moment and insta win. If I can go on the internet, look up a build, it does not require skill. Games like Starcraft 2, Guild Wars 2, Lol (to an extent), and even Legend of Zelda require skill.

You can do that if ya want, but the I like that the game allows me to experiment.  Before any strat came out (in closed beta) I built my own build and still use it to this day....come to find out it's the preferred build for tanks in nightmare dungeons...there is a sense of accomplishment there, in a mad scientist kinda way.  There is a different sense of accomplishment when using twitch skill based combat.  

The difference though is huge.  With the skill wheel you can mess around all day with it and make as many builds as you like.  With GW2, you are already confined with weapon skills and then the traits and such are pretty basic things as well from what Ive seen while playing.  There is no real wiggle room...the only time there is wiggle room is in combat itself and with the designated skills you've been given from the start.

you're doing wrong...

Sorry, you misunderstood using abilities in conjunction with others to create combo's and completely changing your style of play and strategy by utilizing weapon sets and ultility skills as FPS twitch combat. No that is strategy. You have to create synergy to be overly effective. With what I stated above the player is rewarded by thinking of how his abilities synergise with each other. 

The poison grenade and the fire field give bonuses to projectiles fired through them. Not only can you utilize these but so can allies around you. 

Now I broke down in detail a tiny little part of the strategy involved in GW2's combat. 

Poison fields imbue projectiles with poison, fire fields imbue projectiles with fire, I just took a single projectile that has bleeding on it and gave it poison and burning damage by using strategy and knowing my skills and how they synergize with each other lol. 

I asked for a similar example from TSW, you have not provided one. You say that syngergy is important there as well, explain how and is it truly comparable to the synergies I described. 

Originally posted by botrytis

you're doing wrong...

GW2 borrows the skill bar from GW1 with modifications. It is not twitch based but more like turn based strategy. The reason I say this is the builds can have alot of synergy, such as Flame wall from an ele so Rangers can then shoot through to have flaming arrows. The same can be done with skills from the Guardians and Mesmers also for different affects.

In GW2, you have to understand your skills also AND you also can load in different weapons for their skills also.

I found TSW's implementation more of Mash button 1 and 2 then finish with 3 - not much strategy there but I didn't like the game enough to get the the more difficult areas.

I don't disagree with the combo's in GW2...they are pretty awesome when they are done.  Liked them alot.   Again though, that's "on the fly" reactionary skill.  Has nothing to do with well thought out strategy

As for Mash button 1 and 2 then finish with 3...nah...you can do that in kingsmouth, but won't get away with it later.  I use all 7 of my actives and rely on those 7 to come together well with my 7 inactives....

you're doing wrong...

Sorry, you misunderstood using abilities in conjunction with others to create combo's and completely changing your style of play and strategy by utilizing weapon sets and ultility skills as FPS twitch combat. No that is strategy. You have to create synergy to be overly effective. With what I stated above the player is rewarded by thinking of how his abilities synergise with each other. 

The poison grenade and the fire field give bonuses to projectiles fired through them. Not only can you utilize these but so can allies around you. 

Now I broke down in detail a tiny little part of the strategy involved in GW2's combat. 

Poison fields imbue projectiles with poison, fire fields imbue projectiles with fire, I just took a single projectile that has bleeding on it and gave it poison and burning damage by using strategy and knowing my skills and how they synergize with each other lol. 

I asked for a similar example from TSW, you have not provided one. You say that syngergy is important there as well, explain how and is it truly comparable to the synergies I described. 

lol...Im glad you read my entire post.  Again, what you are describing is reactionary skill based combat.  not thought based strategy.  There is a huge difference.  The example I gave you for TSW is pre-fight strategy...preperation.  When you go to battle after thinking it all, everything moves with you having to twitch about and time things perfectly (although some timing is needed).  To me, the preperation is much more fascinating....which is why I love RPG's and older MMORPGS...now it's all reactionary...it's very much like the way FPS's have been from the start.  act on the fly, no pre-battle planning needed.

you're doing wrong...

lol...Im glad you read my entire post.  Again, what you are describing is reactionary skill based combat.  not thought based strategy.  There is a huge difference.  The example I gave you for TSW is pre-fight strategy...preperation.  When you go to battle after thinking it all, everything moves with you having to twitch about and time things perfectly (although some timing is needed).  To me, the preperation is much more fascinating....which is why I love RPG's and older MMORPGS...now it's all reactionary...it's very much like the way FPS's have been from the start.  act on the fly, no pre-battle planning needed.

Here you go....I'll give you a small example of what happens in combat because of my prep before.

I crit, now the enemy is weakened, a weakened target hits me, now I can evade more, when I evade, my hit rises, when I get off 2 hits in a row I do extra damage to a mob.  All that because I put together a build that would chain everything together.  But I thought this out before combat...not during.

you're doing wrong...

Yes, we go through the pre fight prep as well though ours is much more involved and actually happens a lot more frequently. I change setups between encounters in dungeons constantly because one fight isn't like another. 

Equipping the flame thrower kit for the combo field that you and others can use is a pre fight strategic choice. You get off easy, I have to make sure my 10 combat skills, Major and Minor traits, 3 utility skills, 3 profession skills, elite and healing skill all work well together. One heal gives a passive regen and a small heal when activated. One blocks damage while healing and gives a little more healing. Another is purely a nice heal while yet another is a healing skill that heals me and my party members. 

Sorry lol, the level of strategy involved in GW2 is leaps beyond TSW in both pre-fight setup and while in combat. 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Wakygreek

Sad really, the ones I'm asking in my OP don't want to respond to my questions :(
    The post comes off as troll bait no offense. But imo WARs PQ's and Rifts well RIFTS are very simmilar to GW2's DE system. You can argue it until your blue in the face but the sad fact is that DE's have been done before. The system itself has been around for a while, it just wasn't called DEs. DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.

Besides having an argument it has been done before can you name a game that is excactly like GW2?I bet you are that old guy who tries the holodeck 50 years from now and only see...."hey I'm kiling goblins, that's nothing new I did that 50 years ago "
    That's a straw man question and I think you know it. There is NO game "exactly" like WoW, yet enough of the pieces are there to make the comparison. Constantly. Continuously.

If a game was "exactly" like another game, there would be copyright infringement lawsuits all over the place, and I think you know this.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

GW2 cured my cancer and this guys as well :)

you're doing wrong...

Here you go....I'll give you a small example of what happens in combat because of my prep before.

I crit, now the enemy is weakened, a weakened target hits me, now I can evade more, when I evade, my hit rises, when I get off 2 hits in a row I do extra damage to a mob.  All that because I put together a build that would chain everything together.  But I thought this out before combat...not during.

lol... please don't tell me thats all you have. 

If I equip a sigil on my weapon that gives 30% chance to heal allies when I hit it will be completely different than when I equip a sigil that grants 10% haste when I crit. Same goes for the runes on armor. Thats not even talking about the trait lines that do the exact same that you just posted but a great deal more. 

Yeah, lol... TSW doesn't come close if thats the entirety of your pre-fight strategy. As I explained we have the same but a version thats a great deal more involved lol. 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_guardian_traits

Heres simply the Guardians traits. The major traits can be switched out of combat so that you can tailor yourself better in between encounters. 

you're doing wrong...

Yes, we go through the pre fight prep as well though ours is much more involved and actually happens a lot more frequently. I change setups between encounters in dungeons constantly because one fight isn't like another. 

Equipping the flame thrower kit for the combo field that you and others can use is a pre fight strategic choice. You get off easy, I have to make sure my 10 combat skills, Major and Minor traits, 3 utility skills, 3 profession skills, elite and healing skill all work well together. One heal gives a passive regen and a small heal when activated. One blocks damage while healing and gives a little more healing. Another is purely a nice heal while yet another is a healing skill that heals me and my party members. 

Sorry lol, the level of strategy involved in GW2 is leaps beyond TSW in both pre-fight setup and while in combat. 

wow....you seem to have it really tough...do I use the heal with more heal, or the one with less, the one that blocks or the one the heals party members....again these are all abilities that work solo....they dont depend on other skills for their capabilities...TSW, EVERY skill counts on another to work more efficiently....thanks, but I think I know who the true red herring is...

you're doing wrong...

lol... please don't tell me thats all you have. 

If I equip a sigil on my weapon that gives 30% chance to heal allies when I hit it will be completely different than when I equip a sigil that grants 10% haste when I crit. Same goes for the runes on armor. Thats not even talking about the trait lines that do the exact same that you just posted but a great deal more. 

Yeah, lol... TSW doesn't come close if thats the entirety of your pre-fight strategy. As I explained we have the same but a version thats a great deal more involved lol. 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_guardian_traits

Heres simply the Guardians traits. The major traits can be switched out of combat so that you can tailor yourself better in between encounters. 

ummm....you are talking about a sigil, which does the same as gear.  Im talking about skill combinations that allow others to flourish....please name me at least 5 skills that can be used in GW2 for one toon that will work together to make each skill more potent?  Didn't think so....thanks...goodbye

traits are nothing more than buffs, damage and healing...I played the damn game...why do you act as if I didnt?  they are additional buffs...they don't work together though to make each other stronger, in TSW you must have your skills do this or you can put a tag on your toe.

On a side note, can you please explain to me when you'd need to do all this "switching" of skills when in the open world (not a dungeon)?  I know in TSW you need to pay attention to your synergies at all times...not just dungeons....when you get into a dungeon, you need to choose your skills that pertain to your specific role and choose skills that synergize with the rest of the group as well (for maximum performance).  Please enlighten me....because it sounds as if you need less strategy for dungeons in GW2 than you need for the open world in TSW?

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Glad you like it and I hope you stay so i dont have to hear your belly aching when the next hardcore sandbox pvp mmo comes out and someone takes your gears and you cry.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    FFS the "Quoting" in this trhead is getting kilometric.....  ¬¬
    lol...my bad...noticed that too :P

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

ummm....you are talking about a sigil, which does the same as gear.  Im talking about skill combinations that allow others to flourish....please name me at least 5 skills that can be used in GW2 for one toon that will work together to make each skill more potent?  Didn't think so....thanks...goodbye

traits are nothing more than buffs, damage and healing...I played the damn game...why do you act as if I didnt?  they are additional buffs...they don't work together though to make each other stronger, in TSW you must have your skills do this or you can put a tag on your toe.

There are procs in the trait lines as well. So they are not just simple buffs.  If I remember my brief stint in TSW, almost every mob pull ended up the same as far as the order you fired off your skills.  If you didn't follow a certain order or didn't land certain abilities, then all of that pre-stratgey was wasted.  Thus making every encounter end up being pretty much the same as far as keystrokes go.  GW2 not only has the pre-planned strategy in the traits, runes, sigils, and skills that you equip, but a design that allows you to take advantage of various situations such as switching weapons on the fly to change your skills based off of the encounter and dodging.  In TSW if you see the mob rearing up for a big hit, all you can do is cringe waiting for the hit, or hopefully have a root or stun (actually can't remember if TSW had stuns, though I assume they do) off of cooldown that will save you from being heavily smacked.

To be honest here, not sure which game offers more as far as strategy goes.  That can depend on the player and how much they min/max.  I can see it in TSW with that crazy skill wheel, though GW2's is just as much in depth over all, if not more.  So I guess the main issue is accepting that or not.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor