Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what's it worth and my 2 cents

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I still having fun in the game, I'm quite surprised myself, I'm a so called a MMO jumper, try out the new games having fun for 2-3 weeks and rarely sub for the second month.

With GW2 is a whole new story  I'm still playing and having fun, I play as much as I would a sub game so if this would have been a sub game I would be happy to pay another month heck a 3 month sub straight up.

I find the game refreshing and breeze of fresh air It might have to do I don't have to follow a narrow path from quest hub to quest inorder to trigger the next clump of quests.

I understand all you who didn't liked the game and no I won't write you play it wrong but what I would like to know why some write that GW2 is excactly like the rest of the lot, I've read several people writing that DE been done before so It's nothing new.

Can you please direct me to that game beacuse I have played most major MMO since UO and I have never seen a game that have GW2 type of DE and no WAR is not the same thing.

My point with this topic is besides having a lot of fun is, where is that game that is excactly like GW2, I would really want to know, plenty of people seems to know it they always write that GW2 is same old same old and still I find GW2 a completly new MMO experince.

You all take care now and don't forget a beer here and there is always nice.

The issue here is that you are so willing to consider DE's some kind of "new wave" in gaming.  The issue is that it is not new at all.  The only thing different between a DE and a quest in another game is that you actually get to talk to someone in the other game.  This one, the quest is triggered by area and time, rather than acceptance.  Otherwise there is no difference and through all the time I put in, I would go as far as to say that the quests involved in each DE feel ALOT more generic than some of the quests Ive done in other games.  

The DE's follow a type of gameplay that the Eastern market really loves and that's fighting off waves of the same mob over and over again.  Not all, but MANY of the DE's I did were very similar to this and were very boring because of it....all I kept saying to myself was "Oh geez...gotta kill more of these guys???"

As for Vistas, can everyone please stop considering this content?  It really isnt.  If you are an explorer like I am you are going to find these locations with or without vista points.  EVERY game allows you to find hidden things...it's just with GW2 it's not so hidden...

Lack of trinity - as Ive said several times before, it allows for lazy development.  No longer do devs have to worry about boss mechanics vs. 5, 6 and 10 different toons/classes....instead everyone, although with slight variations, are all the same going in, so just add hp's to the boss, make him hit hard and you have what ANET calls a dungeon mob....it's pathetic.  

Anything they did "innovate" appears to have devolved gameplay and many are complaining about it (even the fans).  Other things they've innovated have made very minor cracks in the evolution of MMORPG's....like the following:

Skills attached to weapons - makes things too simple, kills skill progression and is too limiting...terrible idea

Material Nodes - the best idea they made where I can get mats from a node without it effecting someone elses ability...great idea, but only makes a small difference if any.

"end-game starts at level 1" - this sounds like something a politician would say to make you not hate them....it's an excuse. What they really meant was "except for some open world dragons and things you could do prior to level 80 anyway, there is no endgame" - no endgame is always a bad idea.

So please enlighten me on how this game is so much "different" than any game....it really isn't.

There are many things hidden in this game, chest, etc. As was stated earlier and in other threads, you can turn off the hearts and Vistas and just explore if that is what you want. The game is different in the way all of it is packaged together.

What that means, the end game starting at lvl 1, is there is not same gear grind that you have in other games. ALso you can go to WvW at lvl 1, if so enclined. You can't do that in other games.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

The DE's follow a type of gameplay that the Eastern market really loves and that's fighting off waves of the same mob over and over again.  

If you are an explorer like I am

well i wont try to argue for what else you said, but cause you self describe as an explorer, you shall love the DE's and not see them as fights against zergs, cause in order to start or understand the majority of DE you have to EXPLORE ...

please care when you make statements ...

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

"There are many things hidden in this game, chest, etc.  As was stated earlier and in other threads, you can turn off the hearts and Vistas and just explore if that is what you want."

There are many hidden things in many games prior as well...(WoW chests, Rift lore, TSW lore)...

The idea of turning it off or on was not my point - it's the idea that people actually argue that this is some brand new form of content...it's called exploration...it's the main reason I play RPG's and have been playing them forever....that's not content and there is nothing new about it.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I still having fun in the game, I'm quite surprised myself, I'm a so called a MMO jumper, try out the new games having fun for 2-3 weeks and rarely sub for the second month.

With GW2 is a whole new story  I'm still playing and having fun, I play as much as I would a sub game so if this would have been a sub game I would be happy to pay another month heck a 3 month sub straight up.

I find the game refreshing and breeze of fresh air It might have to do I don't have to follow a narrow path from quest hub to quest inorder to trigger the next clump of quests.

I understand all you who didn't liked the game and no I won't write you play it wrong but what I would like to know why some write that GW2 is excactly like the rest of the lot, I've read several people writing that DE been done before so It's nothing new.

Can you please direct me to that game beacuse I have played most major MMO since UO and I have never seen a game that have GW2 type of DE and no WAR is not the same thing.

My point with this topic is besides having a lot of fun is, where is that game that is excactly like GW2, I would really want to know, plenty of people seems to know it they always write that GW2 is same old same old and still I find GW2 a completly new MMO experince.

The issue here is that you are so willing to consider DE's some kind of "new wave" in gaming.  The issue is that it is not new at all.  The only thing different between a DE and a quest in another game is that you actually get to talk to someone in the other game.  This one, the quest is triggered by area and time, rather than acceptance.  Otherwise there is no difference and through all the time I put in, I would go as far as to say that the quests involved in each DE feel ALOT more generic than some of the quests Ive done in other games.  

The DE's follow a type of gameplay that the Eastern market really loves and that's fighting off waves of the same mob over and over again.  Not all, but MANY of the DE's I did were very similar to this and were very boring because of it....all I kept saying to myself was "Oh geez...gotta kill more of these guys???"

As for Vistas, can everyone please stop considering this content?  It really isnt.  If you are an explorer like I am you are going to find these locations with or without vista points.  EVERY game allows you to find hidden things...it's just with GW2 it's not so hidden...

Lack of trinity - as Ive said several times before, it allows for lazy development.  No longer do devs have to worry about boss mechanics vs. 5, 6 and 10 different toons/classes....instead everyone, although with slight variations, are all the same going in, so just add hp's to the boss, make him hit hard and you have what ANET calls a dungeon mob....it's pathetic.  

Anything they did "innovate" appears to have devolved gameplay and many are complaining about it (even the fans).  Other things they've innovated have made very minor cracks in the evolution of MMORPG's....like the following:

Skills attached to weapons - makes things too simple, kills skill progression and is too limiting...terrible idea

Material Nodes - the best idea they made where I can get mats from a node without it effecting someone elses ability...great idea, but only makes a small difference if any.

"end-game starts at level 1" - this sounds like something a politician would say to make you not hate them....it's an excuse. What they really meant was "except for some open world dragons and things you could do prior to level 80 anyway, there is no endgame" - no endgame is always a bad idea.

So please enlighten me on how this game is so much "different" than any game....it really isn't.

Things like the part in red often make me wonder about people even playing the game. No all events are not built like that. Yes some are, but many also require NPC interaction, interaction with an object in the world, or meeting certain conditions (such as X number of certain enemies killed in the area).

The difference is once one player triggers it the DE is available for all to participate. It doesnt require you to go talk to that NPC before participating, although you can if you choose to. It gives the illusion to you as an individual that things are just auto-spawning, but the reality is someone else nearby triggered that event, you just didnt do it yourself.

Originally posted by loulaki

The DE's follow a type of gameplay that the Eastern market really loves and that's fighting off waves of the same mob over and over again.  

If you are an explorer like I am

well i wont try to argue for what else you said, but cause you self describe as an explorer, you shall love the DE's and not see them as fights against zergs, cause in order to start or understand the majority of DE you have to EXPLORE ...

please care when you make statements ...

not most DE's....there is a clear path to follow to get to most DE's and they pop up on your map and you are alerted when you are near one (please don't say you can turn that off...lol).  I have found some in hidden rehashed copies of non-hidden caves where Im doing the same thing as before.

My favorite MMO is Anarchy Online and in order to even level in AO you MUST explore.  much different from running down a road to the next little town or hangout and have a DE pop 50 meters to the left of it the minute you are within the area.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Things like the part in red often make me wonder about people even playing the game. No all events are not built like that. Yes some are, but many also require NPC interaction, interaction with an object in the world, or meeting certain conditions (such as X number of certain enemies killed in the area).

The difference is once one player triggers it the DE is available for all to participate. It doesnt require you to go talk to that NPC before participating, although you can if you choose to. It gives the illusion to you as an individual that things are just auto-spawning, but the reality is someone else nearby triggered that event, you just didnt do it yourself.

nah, I agree...I've spawned some by talking.  my main point was that the quests are generic and nothing new.  Do I need to show yet another person my hours clocked in the game?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Then don't play it if you don't like it.  It's cool, really it is, no one is going to miss you lol ;).

I don't really see why you feel the need to constantly post a bunch of BS about a game you don't like.  It would be one thing if the stuff you posted was all factual and relevant.  In fact, I would even support those kinds of posts. 

For example, I criticized SWTOR for focusing most of their development on, what is essentially, single player story content and expecting people to stay subbed to the game for a long time.  I never said SWTOR was a bad game or anything like that, I just criticized their philosophy...and lo and behold, turns out it was a valid criticism.

But your criticisms of GW2 are just umm...silly.

Lack of trinity makes for "lazy" development?  Really?  Have you even done a dungeon?  Almost every boss has unique mechanics that your group has to learn to deal with.  In a trinity game, EVERY encounter is created with a specific player group tactic in mind (tank and spank).  How is not having a monkey wrench tactic that is meant to defeat any encounter "lazy" development?

Skills attached to weapons makes things too simple?  Once again...really?  In just abotu every other themepark MMO you wind up with like 4-5 full skill bars and only use like 10 skills.  The weapon and skill bar system in GW2 actually makes for MEANINGFUL builds.  Like in GW2 I can swift my characters role from ranged/supportive to melee/DPS with the click of the ~ key.  And then when you combine weapon skills with traits, they can take on a totally different role.  How is this too simplistic?  If anything, I think that the traditional talent tree system of "at level 20 you can do fire, earth and ice magic...but at level 80 you will basically only use one of them because the rest will suck" is way more simplistic.

I don't think Vistas are a big deal, but I don't really see the need to bash on them.  They are basically just like little mini-puzzles.  You have to think about "how do I get up there?" for every Vista.

I could go on...but you get my drift.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

"There are many things hidden in this game, chest, etc.  As was stated earlier and in other threads, you can turn off the hearts and Vistas and just explore if that is what you want."

There are many hidden things in many games prior as well...(WoW chests, Rift lore, TSW lore)...

The idea of turning it off or on was not my point - it's the idea that people actually argue that this is some brand new form of content...it's called exploration...it's the main reason I play RPG's and have been playing them forever....that's not content and there is nothing new about it.

Rift only has hidden chest - nothing else - I played Rift. The lore in Rift is a poor compared to GW universe and even WoW (I would assume UO and others are better too).

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by botrytis

Rift only has hidden chest - nothing else - I played Rift. The lore in Rift is a poor compared to GW universe and even WoW (I would assume UO and others are better too).

UO had the lore of a eight game long single player series backing it up :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

I agree and disagree with you on this.

AGREE: Yes, it does make development a hell of a lot easier and yes you could say it allows the devs to be lazy because they no longer have to consider the intricate mechanics of say a boss fight, but...

DISAGREE: I am actually glad that the stupid "trinity" is gone.  I don't consider myself to be a role player, but I have always hated the trinity because it is unrealistic.  I know, I know we play games to escape our daily lives and have some fun but bear with me.  Real combat is complete chaos period and that is more along the lines of what have here and I for one appreciate that a heavily armored toon isn't hurling insults to keep the enemy occupied instead of swing a sword/axe/whatever.

I've been waiting for a game to have more realistic combat and this is the best to date IMHO (I'm not talking about abilities or lack of abilities, but a more chaotic combat experience). I would like to see this become a trend and would hope that the devs will then use the extra time to develop other areas and come up with new innovative concepts, but something tells me that the suits won't stand for that though.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

DEs are ok, once you're 80.

Before then, its worthless, pointless to do them as the rewards are crap.

---

Soloing them  (non-champions) is quite easy, Sure I dont suck, but if you suck, why should you expect to have everything handed to you? Just get better.

---

But face the facts, other than it being easy to get a gold medal compared to WAR, its the same crap, only slightly improved. The hearts are just an improved quest system. Honestly, it saves you from having to go back to the NPC to turn in. That's it. The combat has fixed skills, no real way to actually think up a build, it is shallow in comparison GW1 even. 

---

Only reason people play, there is no sub.

Dont forget that when WoW was released, it was simply an improvement of existing systems in many other games, EQ & FFXI to name a few. Improving something that sucks is a great way to make money.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

Originally posted by Latronus

I agree and disagree with you on this.

AGREE: Yes, it does make development a hell of a lot easier and yes you could say it allows the devs to be lazy because they no longer have to consider the intricate mechanics of say a boss fight, but...

DISAGREE: I am actually glad that the stupid "trinity" is gone.  I don't consider myself to be a role player, but I have always hated the trinity because it is unrealistic.  I know, I know we play games to escape our daily lives and have some fun but bear with me.  Real combat is complete chaos period and that is more along the lines of what have here and I for one appreciate that a heavily armored toon isn't hurling insults to keep the enemy occupied instead of swing a sword/axe/whatever.

I've been waiting for a game to have more realistic combat and this is the best to date IMHO (I'm not talking about abilities or lack of abilities, but a more chaotic combat experience). I would like to see this become a trend and would hope that the devs will then use the extra time to develop other areas and come up with new innovative concepts, but something tells me that the suits won't stand for that though.

Where you disagree is where I wouldn't and couldn't have any argument at all....some will like that style.  some won't. 

Originally posted by Creslin321

Im not comparing lore to other games, i was stating there was lore and that GW2 did not innovate with hiding things.

Rift had the shiny things that you could click on and earn.  Earn the entire set and you get a reward....did you play Rift???

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Sad really, the ones I'm asking in my OP don't want to respond to my questions :(

The post comes off as troll bait no offense. But imo WARs PQ's and Rifts well RIFTS are very simmilar to GW2's DE system. You can argue it until your blue in the face but the sad fact is that DE's have been done before. The system itself has been around for a while, it just wasn't called DEs. DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.

EDIT: I will however agree that the way the leveling system works in GW2 is unique and fun, at least I enjoy it. The skill system is pretty unique too but bothers me to no end that 90% of my skills are unlocked by level 15

The post comes off as troll bait no offense.

Sure it does.. The guy is just saying he likes the game nothing wrong with that. I think its refreshing that people are coming foward and saying they like the game other then complainging about it... (Talking about how DE arent DE and they arent new for example... Gets (yawn) boring... lol heh... anyways...

Im enjoying the game as well Torgrim havent really been playing anything else other then guild wars 2 been trying to get 100 percent in the areas...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It's kind of simple, really.

The issue is one of perspective scale. If you scrutinize anything heavily enough, you start to ignore more of the general picture of the thing, and focus more and more on it's details. Once you get to a certain point, all things are made out of the same details. It's how those come together that makes something different.

In the case of DEs, on their base lvl you are still doing the same things as all quests. The missconception here is that quests have ever existed that don't require one of the following tasks (discover, destroy, deliver, defend, *forget what the last one is*), however if you look back even before MMORPGs first were created, quests STILL followed these same general tasks. Hell, even in FF7 (a game I really enjoyed), I was still doing these same general tasks within a really solid storyline.

Most of the people I see criticising DEs as being the same, are looking for a game that breaks out of those 5Ds. The catch is, as far as anyone has been able to tell, that's actually impossible. Every quest, no matter how intricate or cleverly designed, boils back down to those same general tasks. So for people who don't care about the presentation, it will look exactly the same to them, even though the system of delivery is completely different.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Im not comparing lore to other games, i was stating there was lore and that GW2 did not innovate with hiding things.

Rift had the shiny things that you could click on and earn.  Earn the entire set and you get a reward....did you play Rift???

You might be missing the point there.

Hiding things, in & of itself isn't one of the innovations for GW2. It's how it brings back a focus on exploring the world (something which most other MMOs currently lack). Hidding things around the world is just one of  the ways in which they incentivise people to go out and explore.

Originally posted by aesperus

Hiding things, in & of itself isn't one of the innovations for GW2. It's how it brings back a focus on exploring the world (something which most other MMOs currently lack). Hidding things around the world is just one of  the ways in which they incentivise people to go out and explore.

There are countless game currently available to the public which you can explore and have a fun time doing so...to think that Guild Wars 2 is the only one is ridiculous.  TSW is VERY explore friendly....if you don't explore there is a great chance to miss a few quests along the way.

Guild Wars 2 just makes exploration obvious....which in my opinion, defeats the purpose.

It's kind of simple, really.

The issue is one of perspective scale. If you scrutinize anything heavily enough, you start to ignore more of the general picture of the thing, and focus more and more on it's details. Once you get to a certain point, all things are made out of the same details. It's how those come together that makes something different.

In the case of DEs, on their base lvl you are still doing the same things as all quests. The missconception here is that quests have ever existed that don't require one of the following tasks (discover, destroy, deliver, defend, *forget what the last one is*), however if you look back even before MMORPGs first were created, quests STILL followed these same general tasks. Hell, even in FF7 (a game I really enjoyed), I was still doing these same general tasks within a really solid storyline.

Most of the people I see criticising DEs as being the same, are looking for a game that breaks out of those 5Ds. The catch is, as far as anyone has been able to tell, that's actually impossible. Every quest, no matter how intricate or cleverly designed, boils back down to those same general tasks. So for people who don't care about the presentation, it will look exactly the same to them, even though the system of delivery is completely different.

The issue I have is that critics and players alike are pumping up DE's like they are God's secret sauce.  Sure they are different, but not much different and they still boil down to the same thing.  The other issue is that the DE's, for the most part, feel very generic in context.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

That's not innovative. TOR created exploration incentives in the form of the Datacrons. WoW has exploration incentives in the form of XP, achievements, lore, unique monsters and quests. UO, the best example, was PURE exploration; in the beginning there were no quests,  just going around and living in the world was the entire game.

So are you saying it's innovation because it's the first game in awhile to put so much emphasis on exploration? If so, that's not innovation either. What GW2 does, it does well. It innovates in many areas. This is not one of them.

Originally posted by rygard49

That's not innovative. TOR created exploration incentives in the form of the Datacrons. WoW has exploration incentives in the form of XP, achievements, lore, unique monsters and quests. UO, the best example, was PURE exploration; in the beginning there were no quests,  just going around and living in the world was the entire game.

TRUE

So are you saying it's innovation because it's the first game in awhile to put so much emphasis on exploration? If so, that's not innovation either. What GW2 does, it does well. It innovates in many areas. This is not one of them.

FALSE

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

not most DE's....there is a clear path to follow to get to most DE's and they pop up on your map and you are alerted when you are near one (please don't say you can turn that off...lol).  I have found some in hidden rehashed copies of non-hidden caves where Im doing the same thing as before.

My favorite MMO is Anarchy Online and in order to even level in AO you MUST explore.  much different from running down a road to the next little town or hangout and have a DE pop 50 meters to the left of it the minute you are within the area.

well every dynamic event has a beginning, the orange circle in the map is after...

when the server will become less crowded and you will have to put your finger in order to begin a DE, and then map chat to get help to finish and its very last part (if you are alone) you will understand what i say .

and i didnt mentioned at all the hidden jumping puzzles ...

Originally posted by loulaki

well every dynamic event has a beginning, the orange circle in the map is after...

when the server will become less crowded and you will have to put your finger in order to begin a DE, and then map chat to get help to finish and its very last part (if you are alone) you will understand what i say .

and i didnt mentioned at all the hidden jumping puzzles ...

Find my other forum posts...I have said good things about jumping quests, but they are few and far between and are only fun the first time so I really wouldn't call them something you can call game-changing....they are just mini-games, but definitely fun.

The last part of DE's can require help (with the bosses mostly) because they hit too hard...not because you actually need to devise a strategy to beat them.  

I was in City of the Sun God on TSW and had just killed 2 mobs....a boss mob came to me at half health and I could have been toast, but there are plenty of ways to strategize in order to beat a boss in TSW.  I was able to beat the boss because I used my brain.  

When a boss mob hits too hard....no amount of brain can help.  But, that's what ANET intended and it all started with a lack of trinity.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Some people are able to solo champions on any class in GW2, others not. Why? Because GW2 relies more on player skill than on stats and gear. So people who suck... will suck, there's no gear which will make them able to compensate for their lack of skill. There's no raid gear or +5000 resilience gear which will make you able to faceroll content you would not have a chance in hell beating with the normal gear.

I see people toasted in events all the time because they play GW2 like a WoW clone. Well, sorry, but those people suck (at playing GW2). You have the same people them posting on forums that the game is simplistic and lacks strategy and skill. There are quite a few right here on these forums.

[mod edit]

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Some people are able to solo champions on any class in GW2, others not. Why? Because GW2 relies more on player skill than on stats and gear. So people who suck... will suck, there's no gear which will make them able to compensate for their lack of skill. There's no raid gear or +5000 resilience gear which will make you able to faceroll content you would not have a chance in hell beating with the normal gear.

I see people toasted in events all the time because they play GW2 like a WoW clone. Well, sorry, but those people suck (at playing GW2). You have the same people them posting on forums that the game is simplistic and lacks strategy and skill. There are quite a few right here on these forums.

you're doing wrong...

I do know what you're saying because TSW requires the same things, but I find it hard to believe that you can strategize as much in GW2 than you can in TSW.  I only need mention the fact that weapons and skills are tied to each to prove that.  And strategize does not equal twich combat tactics...that's not strategy

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Just need to run to the next heart...I mean hub...I mean "heart"...

And how exactly are the DE from GW2 different than the PQs from WAR? In both games all I had to do was stand in the same spot and wait for it to trigger again, where is this huge difference people keep yapping about?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!