Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is no one talking about this?

Comments

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Loke666One would think that fire and electrical spells would work better a warm sunny summer day than a rainy autumn day.

Dude, C'mon.  It's magic.   Even if it wasn't.. go stand in the path of a flame thrower on a rainy day and tell me if it feels less intense.  Kidding, don't do that. It won't.

Anyone else think the character in that game runs like there's a pickle in his bum?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Why? Is there some stigma against this project I'm unaware of? 

Is it the new bandwagon game to hate on, like Darkfall?

I hate all shitty games. I'm not picky nor am I jumping into any bandwagons. What the guy said in the video and the video itself do not impress me in the least.

Unless they've been working on something else since AC, I am hesitant to call experience from 10 years ago relevant. Programming skill is relevant, sure, but for all we know these people are merely one-hit-wonders just like many other developers in the industry. Shamefully few, if any, have made two hits in a row - or two hits in their career.

The video didn't show any intruiging new gameplay. Typing magic words to the chat window? -I thought we were over typing commands to the console. Its a gimmick! Obviously what the clip shows is a prototype, you sure hope it is, but it still looked like generic, safe mechanics still being used. There's nothing special, atleast they didn't mention anything special about it. Just the same standard shite we've seen 100 times over.

I couldn't care less how this project turns out; I'm not interested. I looked over the video twice just to check if I missed something important which could've made you interested, but no, there's nothing.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Why? Is there some stigma against this project I'm unaware of? 

Is it the new bandwagon game to hate on, like Darkfall?

I hate all shitty games. I'm not picky nor am I jumping into any bandwagons. What the guy said in the video and the video itself do not impress me in the least.

Unless they've been working on something else since AC, I am hesitant to call experience from 10 years ago relevant. Programming skill is relevant, sure, but for all we know these people are merely one-hit-wonders just like many other developers in the industry. Shamefully few, if any, have made two hits in a row - or two hits in their career.

The video didn't show any intruiging new gameplay. Typing magic words to the chat window? -I thought we were over typing commands to the console. Its a gimmick! Obviously what the clip shows is a prototype, you sure hope it is, but it still looked like generic, safe mechanics still being used. There's nothing special, atleast they didn't mention anything special about it. Just the same standard shite we've seen 100 times over.

I couldn't care less how this project turns out; I'm not interested. I looked over the video twice just to check if I missed something important which could've made you interested, but no, there's nothing.

Now if a game could use voice recognition to cast spells, giveing you the option of using your mike to say "Fire Ball" or "Ignis" that could be fun.

To be honest, Although I am not the biggest Harry Potter fan, Using voice commands to cast spells would be perfect for a Harry Potter MMO. 

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    snip

Now if a game could use voice recognition to cast spells, giveing you the option of using your mike to say "Fire Ball" or "Ignis" that could be fun.

To be honest, Although I am not the biggest Harry Potter fan, Using voice commands to cast spells would be perfect for a Harry Potter MMO. 

Holy hell that would be sweet.  No more keybinds.  If a good game had an optional voice recog in place that would be a huge selling point to me.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"I guess some folks are just really in love with the WoW clone status quo."

"I guess there just aren't a lot of classic MMORPG fans awake this early in the morning."

You should really remember to add the *shrug* to your replies for the full passive-aggressive effect. Don't half-ass it, man! Give it your all!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

@VoiceOver Commands&Spells:

No, it isnt a good idea. And no you will not like it. Why? Well ever talked nonstop for hours?

It is exhausting and a lot more as to press a single keyboard key. And what is with your conversation in TeamSpeak(or whatever Voip service). Whats.. Fireball.. up? Teleport.. f**** i said teleport.. Sorry what did i ..Fireball.. Shield..

I guess you get what i wanted to say? ;)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

While conceptually they have alot of good ideas this game is very indie and lack on technical, graphics, etc side.  Unless it will boom with popularity it will also have support problems. 

It does not even have business model choosen and I don't play many of models out there. 

I know that as sandbox fan I should also support and play hardcore indie ones to make them more popular and show that it is feasible to invest bigger money in gameplay like that, bla bla.    I am too old for that shit.  I want good product technical, support, gameplay, mechanics and business model side. 

I know I am unreasonable - I should minimize my expectations to level to very-low budget indie mmorpg's.  I should. I don't want to.  Sue me.

PS. Weird enough I have nothing against indie single playe games and I've played few ones and crowfunded another ones. Well propably because it is easier to do good single player game (also on technical side) than mmorpg.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Apraxis

@VoiceOver Commands&Spells:

No, it isnt a good idea. And no you will not like it. Why? Well ever talked nonstop for hours?

It is exhausting and a lot more as to press a single keyboard key. And what is with your conversation in TeamSpeak(or whatever Voip service). Whats.. Fireball.. up? Teleport.. f**** i said teleport.. Sorry what did i ..Fireball.. Shield..

I guess you get what i wanted to say? ;)

Optional!  Nothing wrong with more options :)

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Eh, they lost me at PvE only.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I have seen a lot of these pop up lately.  This is actually the best one I have seen so far.  I like many of the ideas he has for the game. 

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I've never had the mindset of the modern mmo player in regards to the Graphics first mentality, so although the graphics and the engine look quite a bit lower than the games of today, the mechanics of what they are trying to do is respectable..

The selection of learnable skills is on par with games like Runescape, Xsyon, and Ryzom.. I like how they are linked and learning a few can lead to learning others.

I think for an indie game that they could have chosen a different style of combat system. I know he said that it will require thinking etc, but Anet said the same thing about GW2 and truthfully it's much like what we are already used to.. I didn't even find TERA's console style combat fulfilling, but I guess that's just me.. I dunno, i'd like to see more Tactical Battle System games like Atlantica, Wakfu or Pirate101.. But i'm sure many people find them slow and boring..

The crafting is awful and is a blatant "following" of the standard routine of clicking and watching a progress bar.. Vangaurd has shown that crafting systems can be complex and rewarding if done right..

I hope they plan on making loot tables immersive as well.. I even have a problem with this on Skyrim to a certain extent (why would a sabre cat have 6 gold peices?), I like when loot makes sense. No killng of a thousand moths to find a set of "lootable" moth wings when all moths should have moth wings. And no need looting swords and armor off of wildlife corpses..

Just some of the things I thought while taking a look at the project..

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Most of these fools who throw money at Kickstarter "projects" and 'promises" are the same ones who'll be the first to scream at proven mmo developers "I refuse to pre-order your game without playing beta or a demo first!".

It's laughably ironic.

There are very few "proven" MMO developers left. Most of them have been swallowed by soulless publishing companies. Meanwhile people like Brian Fargo were behind the golden age RPGs, so I feel pretty safe supporting them.

Meanwhile, the folks behind Gorgon actually seem really qualified and know what their target is for the game. I believe from what I remember reading that this kickstarter is mostly for art assets.

I don't know why he's opposed to making an MMORPG.com profile.

http://www.eldergame.com/2012/10/twitface-project-gorgon/

Making an MMORPG is hard and expensive. There have been quite a few MMO kickstarters pop up that I've scratched my head at. They all sound far too ambitious and aren't being made by anyone with any experience. They're being made by dreamers, which is good... but THIS kickstarter project is being made by veterans, and seems to be smaller scale/better in focus. That gives me a bit more confidence in the product.

• NoreshaNoresha Member Posts: 17

What I consider the most accomplished and well done MMO to date. Started by 2 people who liked games.

http://www.mit.edu/~jonmon/Business/Turbine/

How hard can it be, 1 labtop and 1 desktop.

Game developers now spending millions to re produce shit. Ok

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

The concepts and principles they are trying to go for are great. It is truely old school style mmorpg but with some modern lessons. I would love for a game like this to come out. 

That being said it is very much a small side project for those two devs and their website reinforces this by being basically an application for them to attract contract work for larger projects.

You can see a hell of a lot of Asheron's Call influence in this project (the $25 kickstart fee offers the emotes of /atoyot and /ymca. 2 of the iconic emotes from AC. Spell research and more.) along with other old school features. It may end up as vaporware but hopefully word of this sort of mmorpg approach will make it's way to those more capable of putting out a game. Many of the ideas in the game are simply amazing even if not fully realized yet or ever.

I can live with old school graphics but the one bad thing about this game is it will rely on zones for the open world due to limitations in the engine. Other than that I looked the engine up and it is actually a decent one over all.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Noresha

What I consider the most accomplished and well done MMO to date. Started by 2 people who liked games.

http://www.mit.edu/~jonmon/Business/Turbine/

How hard can it be, 1 labtop and 1 desktop.

Game developers now spending millions to re produce shit. Ok

Funny you mention Turbine... Project Gorgon is being run by folks from Asheron's Call 1 and 2.

And yes, all the best MMORPGs were started from essentially nothing, but people with passion and some MUD experience.

EverQuest came from MUDs. Dark Age of Camelot came from MUDs. 30 men, less than a million bucks.

Originally posted by Tamanous

That being said it is very much a small side project for those two devs and their website reinforces this by being basically an application for them to attract contract work for larger projects.

Wait, where is this?

Imagine if AC1 had been 'kickstarted' so it could have competed with EQ in the 'market'.

I imagine I wouldn't be trolling these boards anymore bored for the last 10 years looking for another true game.

Wait, where is this?

Well I did not mean they aren't putting some serious work into the game and the kickstart proves it is a labor of love for them and they want it realized.

But on their main site their About Us and For Hire tabs are resumes for free-lance contract and consulting work.

You stay sassy!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Eh, truthfully doesn't really seem that amazing of a concept to me. A lot of focus on NPCs and the like and seems to be lacking gameplay that really is capitvating. Just a lot of what is said doesn't really 'snap' for me.

This level of understanding is what sold me.

http://www.eldergame.com/2012/02/project-gorgons-death-penalty/

That and their emphasis on public, uninstanced dungeon exploration.

• WebzeroWebzero Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Ahaha,  that was soo bad.  I hate you.

For those freaking out about game play and looks ... Pre-alpha means: 

- Before alpha. The game isn't even ready for testing.

- Most things are simply not in game yet or place holders including: music, character and skill animations, advanced lighting and graphics, etc.

- the game is pretty much just core gameplay mechanics and most games aren't even content complete until beta testing.

It will look rough, play like crap and is only shown as evidence in this stage for investor reporting. In this case a kickstart while with other companies you never even get to see this stage of development. It is like trying to call a baby in the womb at 3 months cute when it is ugly as hell and looks more like an alien love child.

You stay sassy!

For those freaking out about game play and looks ... Pre-alpha means: 

- Before alpha. The game isn't even ready for testing.

- Most things are simply not in game yet or place holders including: music, character and skill animations, advanced lighting and graphics, etc.

- the game is pretty much just core gameplay mechanics and most games aren't even content complete until beta testing.

It will look rough, play like crap and is only shown as evidence in this stage for investor reporting. In this case a kickstart while with other companies you never even get to see this stage of development. It is like trying to call a baby in the womb at 3 months cute when it is ugly as hell and looks more like an alien love child.

+1 Tamanous, just goes to show the ignorance on these boards that people can judge a game off the bat going ' are you kidding ? '.

I've seen so many people out right ignore Asheron's Call because of the graphics when it has more features and content and a better combat system then any game to date.

Here is an interesting take on " balance ".

check it out if you have time!

http://www.eldergame.com/2007/12/star-trek-the-hardest-mmo-ip-ever/

Originally posted by Webzero
    Ahaha,  that was soo bad.  I hate you.

Uh.... what was bad about it? Seems like it's going to be a really solid game.

If you're complaining about art, did you miss the part about how this Kickstarter was for art assets?