Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Seriously, how out of touch are the Maine republicans who are going after her for playing WoW?? I personally think this will go in her favour.

World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row

Screenshot of Santiaga

Playing WoW leads people to live a "bizarre double life" say Maine Republicans

Related Stories

The gaming hobby of a political candidate has become an issue in a state senate race in New England, US.

Maine Republicans have created a webpage revealing that Democrat candidate Colleen Lachowicz plays an orc rogue in World of Warcraft (WoW).

Ms Lachowicz's liking for back-stabbing and poison in WoW raise questions about her "fitness for office", they claim.

Ms Lachowicz has hit back saying the attack showed the Republicans were "out of touch".

Weird focus

The state senate seat known as District 25 in Maine, is currently being contested by Ms Lachowicz and incumbent Republican Tom Martin. Voting takes place on 6 November.

As part of its campaign efforts, the Republican party in the state created "Colleen's World" - a website that compiles information about Ms Lachowicz's orc rogue Santiaga. An orc is a mythical human-like creature, generally described as fierce and combative.

In a statement that accompanies the webpage, Maine Republicans said playing the game led Ms Lachowicz to live a "bizarre double life" that raised questions about her ability to represent the state.

The page also detailed some of the comments Ms Lachowicz has made while talking about her orc rogue, in particular it highlights her affection for Santiaga's ability to stab things and kill people without suffering a jail sentence.

"These are some very bizarre and offensive comments," said Maine Republican Party spokesman David Sorensen in a statement. "They certainly raise questions about Lachowicz's maturity and her ability to make serious decisions for the people of Senate District 25."

The site also lists many of the 400 comments she has posted to left wing political news and discussion site Daily Kos. Maine Republicans have also posted leaflets that reproduce the information on the website.

"I think it's weird that I'm being targeted for playing online games," said Ms Lachowicz in a statement. "Apparently I'm in good company since there are 183 million other Americans who also enjoy online games.

"Instead of talking about what they're doing for Maine people, they're making fun of me for playing video games," said Ms Lachowicz.

It is not clear what effect the Republican tactic will have on the state senate race in Maine. However, many messages of support have been left on Ms Lachowicz's own webpage with some pledging cash to her campaign.

Gaming researcher Ladan Cockshut said the row revealed how gaming can be seen as a bad thing to do.

"In my work, I've spoken with many people who in their regular lives have roles of significant responsibility (as doctors, managers, or educators) but who choose carefully with whom they disclose their gaming activity," she told the BBC. "And disclosing their gaming activity is often accompanied by a degree of apology or embarrassment."

But, she added, having a gamer run for office was a "heartening" development.

"This would seem to run contrary to the other stereotypes that we love to assign to gamers: that they are lazy, antisocial people who don't have a 'real life'," she said. "Maybe this will trigger some dialogue about our perceptions of gamers and the role that games can and should play in modern society."

Comments

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185
    politics... they'll fight about anything and everything.
  • my entire crew of gamers are all successful, established, educated, hard working people who just want to unwind after a hard day at work. this whole concept is just mind blowing. 

we play online games to get away with murder? for real? lawl.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    for the Horde!

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

You have got to be kidding...this is how low they go in their mudslinging? IT'S A FUCKING GAME!!! IT HAS NO IMPACT ON THE REAL WORLD!!!

Where's the any key?

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

Except the issues that actually matter. image

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    The bigger concern is that she plays a Horde, because Horde can suck it.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Slampig

I laughed hard at this. 

Still think it will back fire as most people play games and the comments seem antiquated and akin to people freaking about D&D back in the early 80's.

Seriously evaluating a person on their playing style is just too funny.  I like to drop mines and blow up NPC's in GW2, doesn't mean I'm about to run out and do it.

(I lived in the UK for 12 years, just left, I think this would have gone down completely differently over there)

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    This is more of an objection against WoW that it is again Colleen Lachowicz
  • Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

If this changes how anyone votes anywhere, you are too simple minded. I mean this in both directions too.

They will fight about anything, simple as that. 

Oh and everyone giving this a spec of attention promotes this sort of action in the future.

• albob35albob35 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Slampig

HAHAHAHA this is the best reply I've seen in years.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Bwahahahaha, this reminds me of when GTA Vice City came out and pretty much every "violent" act that made it in the news mentioned some sort of influence from GTA....lmfao..damn politicians.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    This is so absurd! In chess you beat pawns and nobody thinks you are a brute, you protect kings and you are still no royalist! Absurd!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Par for the course.
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

If im Blizz, i'll be laughing, free advertisement...

RIP Orc Choppa

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Elikal
    This is so absurd! In chess you beat pawns and nobody thinks you are a brute, you protect kings and you are still no royalist! Absurd!

So you play chess? You are not fit for a political role within a democratic government ruled by free will, playing chess is a clear sign of a dictator, a monarchist.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

This is why I watch quite a bit of America Politics. When I want news I watch Canadian/BBC news channels. When I want soap opera sitcom humor I watch American political news.

I am 100%, completely serious btw.

You stay sassy!

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Unfortunately, these tthreads might be gaming-related but tend to just get into political territory and  we no longer allow politics-related discussions. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.