Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: Colin Johanson on the Live Teams & the Future

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, ArenaNet announced that there would not be just one Guild Wars 2 Live Team to keep the world fresh and functioning. We were told that there would be SIX (or more as needed)! We caught up with Colin Johanson to talk about the Live Teams and how they will function and what they will bring to Guild Wars 2. Read on!

MMORPG.com:  Congrats on such a successful launch, Colin.  Before we get to the "future plans" for Guild Wars 2, can you share with us what the team sees as the biggest current pressing issue in the live game, and what are you all doing to remedy it?

Colin Johanson: Thank you very much! It has been incredible and humbling to see so many people pour into the game, and how positive the reviews and feedback on the game have been so far. Of course with an MMO, once the game ships is when your work has really only begun, which leads me to the answer to your question….

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: Colin Johanson on the Live Teams & the Future.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Hmm.  I'm looking forward to hearing actual details about future content.  I'll make sure to check out the game again on the 28th.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Guardians OP? Sure in PvE. In PvP Thieves and Warriors are the OP classes....Warrior crit 8-10k with a few skills and Thieves do 20k damage in 3-5 seconds.

Looking forward to Halloween.
    I loved it in GW1.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Not being able to get into WvsW is a big issue for me. Before someone says it, no I'm not going to switch servers, that shouldn't be the answer to fix the problem of being in a que for hours. Arenanet knew and have stated they knew that WvsW would be a big hit with people and still don't have a good way to get more people in to enjoy it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Guardians OP? Sure in PvE. In PvP Thieves and Warriors are the OP classes....Warrior crit 8-10k with a few skills and Thieves do 20k damage in 3-5 seconds.

I loved it in GW1.

If you're talking about Greatsword warriors...move a few paces back when they do their hundred blades, they're planted in that spot while doing it, then destroy them. If you stand there while they use the ability, it's your own fault. Greatsword warriors are easy to avoid their damage, I kite em around using my gun. Thieves, well, yah, there's no doubt about it, and I have a thief, they're way overpowered at the moment, hehe.

Dark Age of Camelot

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    phi brain puzzle is a blast!the high and low view is awsome!like the small guy race,the inital training phi brain puzzle is awsome ,once your reach portal the pat6 play with the hight and the low so often the path is obvious but you dont see it because arenanet putted a fiew path to send you in the wrong direction ,this sound silly but the hight and low path in this manner is awsome,same for the second one same map ,the matrix key?where the frozen elemental are?add a pvp element to this map like one start at the top the other at bottom and both need to reach each other  start zone and come back with something.why its uber?because of the pve aspect if arenanet was to tweak difficulty on this little puppy this could be insanelly uber!simple yet very effective!for any not having tried it go try it wwhe n the map is full of allie,resspawn is insane so if you drop and everything is acrtive?outch outch outch ,add a team that wont to kill you on its way down or up?and you got the winning reciepe!sorry if i dont speak about end game ,been working a lot these days and havent had to time to continue leveling !
  • ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    phi brain puzzle is a blast!the high and low view is awsome!like the small guy race,the inital training phi brain puzzle is awsome ,once your reach portal the pat6 play with the hight and the low so often the path is obvious but you dont see it because arenanet putted a fiew path to send you in the wrong direction ,this sound silly but the hight and low path in this manner is awsome,same for the second one same map ,the matrix key?where the frozen elemental are?add a pvp element to this map like one start at the top the other at bottom and both need to reach each other  start zone and come back with something.why its uber?because of the pve aspect if arenanet was to tweak difficulty on this little puppy this could be insanelly uber!simple yet very effective!for any not having tried it go try it wwhe n the map is full of allie,resspawn is insane so if you drop and everything is acrtive?outch outch outch ,add a team that wont to kill you on its way down or up?and you got the winning reciepe!sorry if i dont speak about end game ,been working a lot these days and havent had to time to continue leveling !

what?

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

¨For PvP players, we have a lot of great casual PvP for them to play, rewards to earn, and new ranks to continue to build towards. However, we lack a number of the features to support truly competitive and ranked play for the more skilled PvP players¨  

And then i was a hater when i said that the PvP in gw2 atm is casual. 

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

i like how guardians are the only one mentioned as "imba" wtf is up with that? its always amazing how the whiners start with "i love X but nerf it to hell and back"

next time you do an interview leave your agendas at home.

F'n PVPers always ruining fun classes, thats why many people hate PVPers they claim to be the best players but they will whine and cry to high heaven faster than any other type of player.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

F'n Pvpers always crying and ruining fun classes in other areas of the game because they got owned. This is why you guys are hated by other playstyles, you try to get everything nerfed to oblivion until every class is a shell of itself and dumbed down.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

I loved it in GW1.

If you're talking about Greatsword warriors...move a few paces back when they do their hundred blades, they're planted in that spot while doing it, then destroy them. If you stand there while they use the ability, it's your own fault. Greatsword warriors are easy to avoid their damage, I kite em around using my gun. Thieves, well, yah, there's no doubt about it, and I have a thief, they're way overpowered at the moment, hehe.

Dual Axes Warrior do 8-10k crit. Greatsword warrior do 16-18k crit with Hundred blades.

Thief needs a nerf :)

Looking forward to Halloween.I loved it in GW1.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Ecoces

i like how guardians are the only one mentioned as "imba" wtf is up with that? its always amazing how the whiners start with "i love X but nerf it to hell and back"

next time you do an interview leave your agendas at home.

F'n PVPers always ruining fun classes, thats why many people hate PVPers they claim to be the best players but they will whine and cry to high heaven faster than any other type of player.

The interviewer mentioned gaurdians not the ANet guy he made no commitments to what will be nerfed/buffed

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

"Last week more than 4800 bots and hackers were banned from the game permanently."

Thank you Arenanet! luving the game :-)

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by ubermut
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

what?

ahhhh hahahahahaha.  

Looking forward to what they have planned :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Not being able to get into WvsW is a big issue for me. Before someone says it, no I'm not going to switch servers, that shouldn't be the answer to fix the problem of being in a que for hours. Arenanet knew and have stated they knew that WvsW would be a big hit with people and still don't have a good way to get more people in to enjoy it.

I understand if your guild is on the server but if your solo and you insist on playing that server then it is your fault to stick with the queue.  Something tells me you play on Henge of Denravi or Jade Quarry.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Well new stuff being added to Guildwars 2 over time will be good and I can't wait to see what they add over the next year.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

>"For WvW players, we simply have more people trying to play WvW than the game can currently support."

Oh, look, 3-factions is too successful! :D

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There has to be a melting point in WvW, to big player totals ruins smaller clusters, to little player totals makes queue unbeareble for bigger servers.

But one thing they have totaly done wrong is letting Free Transfer going on what totaly ruined sub ranked world 6 servers.

Damage is done and people flock winning to winning servers in the weekend making the rest of the week 1 side owning wvw...

Invisible zergs are also becoming a bane for WvW players, but that one has a big priority and it seems they fixed it to the previous level, but still not 100%.

But damn iam exciting to see whats Anet has in store for the 1st major patch / expansion <3

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

mmorpg: "i can run faster than a Centuar!"

Anet:... "Enticing!'

over all-  right questions asked. and pleaseant responses.

this mmo is for me!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Bunker guardians are a complete waste of time to fight, but the imba ones are those damn backstab thieves that abuse the stealth-render issue that's currently happening. I went into a few sPVP matches and 7 of the 10 players were thieves (I was on my necro) after taking a few paces from my spawn to the nearest capture point and getting ganked by 3 of them, I left the match.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Piecemeal Prepared statements on al the current big issues that aren't even Colin's department....

Followed by a big 4 paragraph mini-novel on the last question.   Not sure what to make of that.

I guess the effort of being honest with us is all that matters right?  But I'd point out that if they want to retain TRUST, then they need to tell their official Moderators to back the hell off a bit so people can actually have some honest debate there.  I don't use their official b/c I'm afraid to, I've seen too many complaints about them already.   It's the whole reason I stopped posting here too...  Too many mods these days don't understand their own jobs.  Their jobs are to "Make Room" for substance & discussion by sweeping away direct Ad-Hominems and Spam, not just silence anything that could potentially become major disagreements by labeling every cynical view  as "Trolling".   That lack of trust only gets cemented every time they handle it that way when a little bit of respect was all that was needed to turn the whole situation aruond.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

They nerfed ranger in the last patch and straight up lied about it.  They said they increased the casting time on SB's 1 skill by 4 ms in order to address an animation glitch.  When players complained the response from ANet was "yeah it was to fix the animation glitch AND oh yeah we were tired of SB rangers spamming 1 and their DPS is now 7% lower."  They took the weakest PvP class in the game and made them even weaker.  The reason SB rangers even spam 1 is because A) It's the freaking equivalent of autoattack and B) it's the only reliable source of dmg on the weapon.  The other four skills are entirely situational, involve control, and do less damage than 1.  At the same time Quickening Zephyr + SB is entirely bugged out from the fix creating a roughly 25% decrease in DPS while under the effect of Quickness while using the SB.  Not to mention that Ranger ability to stack bleeds is also nerfed into the ground.  At this point every class can do anything the Ranger can do, but better. 

Just to give you where my perspective is coming from I have 80 Ranger, 80 Thief, 25 Ele, 21 Guardian, and a 10 Mes.

Long story short, I'm fine with the nerf.  I'm not fine with the fact that they nerfed the SB and lied and said it was in order to fix an animation glitch then came back and said "oh yeah we wanted to nerf the SB too."

If you want to "strengthen your bond with your playerbase," lying or even simply omitting the truth is probably not the best way to go about it.

Steam: Neph

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Haha, poor Neph.  Weren't you the guy always talking about full loot and Darkfall/Shadowbane?  And you can't handle a patch?  LOL.
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I understand if your guild is on the server but if your solo and you insist on playing that server then it is your fault to stick with the queue.  Something tells me you play on Henge of Denravi or Jade Quarry.

Aye, Jade Quarry

Dark Age of Camelot

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Aye, Jade Quarry

Well of course you are going to have a long ass queue if you picked one of the largest damn servers.  Plain and simple, if you go to the resturaunt that everyone goes to on a Fri nights then yeah... grab a snickers because it's gonna be a while.

If you want the mememe service then go to a lower pop server and stop bitching about how things aren't go your way.  People need to get overthemselves, just like those who expect immideate and experdited service with customer service..... take a number and wait your turn.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    I love the game soooo much more than i thought I would in the long term. I cant wait to see wha they do in the future, Im really excited to see new additions to the gem store and glad to see PvE content is just as important as everything else.