Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what's it worth and my 2 cents

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

GW2 doesn't replace quest hubs, just unfies them and puts an area marker for completion instead of specific quest NPCs. They also request much more than what you'd ask for a single quest but since they are unified, they use the OR argument instead of the AND.

So, instead of having three quest, one to kill 10 wolves, one to repair 5 equipment and one to protect workers from 10 attacks, you get to either kill 20 wolves, or repair 5 equipment or protect 20 workers or any combination that will fill a completion bar.

Personally I like this approach to regular questing better, but with some improvement pointers.

• Stepping foot into a territory and get a list of stuff to do feels less natural than walking in front of 3 NPCs that they ask for you something. It would have been a lot better if they approached this in the way they announce some of the DE, ie with an NPC that runs to the player and asks for help.
    • Backtracking to the questgiver NPC is not a bad thing. Really, it isn't. It is a lost opportunity though from Anet, to show that there was some  change, some improvement made to the environment and the NPCs that the hearts affected (even temporary). Right now you complete, get the reward and just take off.
    • Not all hearts give a choice of stuff to do, a lot request just one thing, just like regular quests.
    In the end you do the exact same stuff you'd do with hub questing. The only (and perhaps major) difference is that you get to choose how you compete them. This freedom is what amounts as improvement in my book, not the actual quests themselves.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Sad really, the ones I'm asking in my OP don't want to respond to my questions :(

The post comes off as troll bait no offense. But imo WARs PQ's and Rifts well RIFTS are very simmilar to GW2's DE system. You can argue it until your blue in the face but the sad fact is that DE's have been done before. The system itself has been around for a while, it just wasn't called DEs. DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.

Besides having an argument it has been done before can you name a game that is excactly like GW2?

I bet you are that old guy who tries the holodeck 50 years from now and only see...."hey I'm kiling goblins, that's nothing new I did that 50 years ago "

Can you show us where people have been saying that there are other MMOS which are exactly like GW2? only because concept of DE's existed and have been done first or earlier doesn't mean it is 'exactly' the same. That is your own interpretation of it.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Thillian

Nonsense, Tabula Rasa was first in 2007 with its system of --- Dynamic Battlefields. Why is noone mentioning Tabula Rasa, which created the so-called Dynamic Events system. Dynamic Battlefields in Tabula Rasa had more consequences than DEs in GW2 - could lose base with quests, vendors and spawn points. Tabula Rasa was also the first game in which you didn't need to be grouped to get a credit for killing "quest" monster.

This was indeed closer to what we have in GW2 than anything done in WAR or Rift. And about consequences - in Orr, there are many spots you can lose including vendors and waypoint. You have those spots in all the other zones, but more sparsely, while in Orr it becomes a main feature.

WAR was just a joke, and rifts are just glorified mob spawners. GW2 and also indeed TR beat the crap out of those two games concerning events.

You can also lose access to the dungeon of Arah in Orr, if you don't repel the invading risen you have to start a whole new chain of events to reclaim the area.

To the OP many of the things in GW2 have been done before in some form or another, it's just that GW2 improves on these things and puts them together in a way that makes the game feel new and a lot fresher. I personaly love how I set out to do something and wind up getting caught up in something completely different, sometimes I get side tracked so much I forget what it was I set out to do. I'm completely immersed in the game world when I'm playing and I'm having a great time playing the game.

• abottemillerabottemiller Member UncommonPosts: 43

I still having fun in the game, I'm quite surprised myself, I'm a so called a MMO jumper, try out the new games having fun for 2-3 weeks and rarely sub for the second month.

With GW2 is a whole new story  I'm still playing and having fun, I play as much as I would a sub game so if this would have been a sub game I would be happy to pay another month heck a 3 month sub straight up.

I find the game refreshing and breeze of fresh air It might have to do I don't have to follow a narrow path from quest hub to quest inorder to trigger the next clump of quests.

I understand all you who didn't liked the game and no I won't write you play it wrong but what I would like to know why some write that GW2 is excactly like the rest of the lot, I've read several people writing that DE been done before so It's nothing new.

Can you please direct me to that game beacuse I have played most major MMO since UO and I have never seen a game that have GW2 type of DE and no WAR is not the same thing.

My point with this topic is besides having a lot of fun is, where is that game that is excactly like GW2, I would really want to know, plenty of people seems to know it they always write that GW2 is same old same old and still I find GW2 a completly new MMO experince.

You all take care now and don't forget a beer here and there is always nice.

Im in the same player set as you and feeling the same way about GW2. I have times I get tired of the what Im doing but I just put another of my alts into play with a different profession and its like new :). This game would be a keeper in the subscritpion area but Im still glad it stuck with the original GW pay for the box model. It is new and a totally different direction and I think that is the problem most have. There is also the fact that the game is still very new and there will be new and intersting things around the corner to be sure.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Xasapis

GW2 doesn't replace quest hubs, just unfies them and puts an area marker for completion instead of specific quest NPCs. They also request much more than what you'd ask for a single quest but since they are unified, they use the OR argument instead of the AND.

So, instead of having three quest, one to kill 10 wolves, one to repair 5 equipment and one to protect workers from 10 attacks, you get to either kill 20 wolves, or repair 5 equipment or protect 20 workers or any combination that will fill a completion bar.

Personally I like this approach to regular questing better, but with some improvement pointers.

• Stepping foot into a territory and get a list of stuff to do feels less natural than walking in front of 3 NPCs that they ask for you something. It would have been a lot better if they approached this in the way they announce some of the DE, ie with an NPC that runs to the player and asks for help.
    • Backtracking to the questgiver NPC is not a bad thing. Really, it isn't. It is a lost opportunity though from Anet, to show that there was some  change, some improvement made to the environment and the NPCs that the hearts affected (even temporary). Right now you complete, get the reward and just take off.
    • Not all hearts give a choice of stuff to do, a lot request just one thing, just like regular quests.
    In the end you do the exact same stuff you'd do with hub questing. The only (and perhaps major) difference is that you get to choose how you compete them. This freedom is what amounts as improvement in my book, not the actual quests themselves.

This does happen. But not everyone takes notice of it, or they may be out of range when someone else triggers the event. I should know, it's what I walk around doing :p Talking to NPCs and shizzle.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by Xasapis

This does happen. But not everyone takes notice of it, or they may be out of range when someone else triggers the event. I should know, it's what I walk around doing :p Talking to NPCs and shizzle.

Yeah a lot of people fail to realize that part. Very often what seems to an individual to be a DE just randomly starting up is actually due to another player interacting with an NPC asking for help, or triggering it in some other way. You dont need to be the one to talk an NPC to take part in the DE though, and with the large number of people unaware of NPC interaction even existing that I see int he forums and in game, Im not surprised they feel like things "just happen" without any player interaction just because they didnt do it themselves.

As far Xasapis' 2nd and 3rd points:

-  You dont need to talk to the NPCs to get your reward for completing the heart, but there is a purpose to going back to them. After completing a heart, the NPC sells you equipment, recipes, and other stuff for karma. Not going back to the NPC menas youre missing out on the chance to get some of those "rewards" that you may not be able to get anywhere else in the game.

- I can't recall a single heart that only has 1 task you can do to complete it aside from maybe a few that generalize the task with something simple like "Help clear the area of threats" or something along those lines but actually allowing you to kill various types of mobs and destroy various objects to complete that goal. A few also offer things like 1 task, such as killing enemies, but a variety of ways to do it such as the use of siege weaponry or the option of normal killing.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    anyway the point isnt if the gw2 quest/combat/dungeon etc system is good or bad. the point is if YOU like it. i m not and i dont care about others ppl opinion. as far i dont like it i cant play it. thats all
  • NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Thillian

Nonsense, Tabula Rasa was first in 2007 with its system of --- Dynamic Battlefields. Why is noone mentioning Tabula Rasa, which created the so-called Dynamic Events system. Dynamic Battlefields in Tabula Rasa had more consequences than DEs in GW2 - could lose base with quests, vendors and spawn points. Tabula Rasa was also the first game in which you didn't need to be grouped to get a credit for killing "quest" monster.

This was indeed closer to what we have in GW2 than anything done in WAR or Rift. And about consequences - in Orr, there are many spots you can lose including vendors and waypoint. You have those spots in all the other zones, but more sparsely, while in Orr it becomes a main feature.

WAR was just a joke, and rifts are just glorified mob spawners. GW2 and also indeed TR beat the crap out of those two games concerning events.

I will agree entirely with your assessment that DEs and Rifts and PQs are all very different on the face of it, but I think the problem is that they do not *feel* different to many people, myself included. Knowing they are different does not make repelling the 30th Sons of Svanir raid any less boring that closing the 30th fire Rift. Yes, it is more in tune with the world around it, but to me they do not feel less repetitive that Rifts. Between Dredge and Sons of Svanir, that seems like the vast majority of my DE opponents since I started my Norn, and they are just as stale and repetitive as anything I experienced in Rift.

And to me, that is the problem. They do not really feel particularly dynamic. I have yet to even see a DE fail, I am sure they have, but not in my presence, and perhaps that is why they do not feel dynamic. Fight waves of mobs, collect eggs/armor bits/some other thing, defend somewhile while they travel/complete ritual/etc. etc.

Yes, different from Rifts...but just not great, imo.

To the OP, there are no games exactly like GW2 of course, but then every game has unique characteristics, and I am glad you are enjoying GW2 so much. I am too, actually, but I do not feel like I am playing anything new, and in some cases I do not feel like I am playing a better game than others. Unless the expansions come out quicker than I expect, I suspect I will join the rest of my guild (who have more or less all quit already) in a month or so. 

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Well, besides the obvious baiting in the OP, IMA risk it.

*points to an empty chair representing the absent GW2

"I've played dynamic games, and you, sir, are no WAR!"

Wait, that might be one too many political memes in one place.

Sorry, OP. The DEs, while fun, are only a minor evolution of what WAR and RIFT did.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Sad really, the ones I'm asking in my OP don't want to respond to my questions :(

Asked a leading question and no one responded?  All that composition work, wasted.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

The post comes off as troll bait no offense. But imo WARs PQ's and Rifts well RIFTS are very simmilar to GW2's DE system. You can argue it until your blue in the face but the sad fact is that DE's have been done before. The system itself has been around for a while, it just wasn't called DEs. DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.

EDIT: I will however agree that the way the leveling system works in GW2 is unique and fun, at least I enjoy it. The skill system is pretty unique too but bothers me to no end that 90% of my skills are unlocked by level 15

Which will be the downfall of this game.

One of the glaring issues with WAR's PQ's, RIFT's rifts and now GW2's DE's is that you need a minimum amount of players to be able to complete it.

The lower level zones will start to become underpopulated sooner than later. I already noticed it in the last days before I stopped playing this game and that was already almost a  month go.

And then what?  A lot of the Heart events are not soloable either due to mob densities. And with no quests in this game, how are people going to level up later on?

At least in RIFT and WAR you still had traditional quests to level up your character and continue on progression.

Guild Wars 2 solely relies on Hearts and DE's!

You can't expect to force people to craft and PVP to get enough XP to move on. Especially when PVP is already dominated by fully geared lvl80's. /shrug

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I still having fun in the game, I'm quite surprised myself, I'm a so called a MMO jumper, try out the new games having fun for 2-3 weeks and rarely sub for the second month.

With GW2 is a whole new story  I'm still playing and having fun, I play as much as I would a sub game so if this would have been a sub game I would be happy to pay another month heck a 3 month sub straight up.

I find the game refreshing and breeze of fresh air It might have to do I don't have to follow a narrow path from quest hub to quest inorder to trigger the next clump of quests.

I understand all you who didn't liked the game and no I won't write you play it wrong but what I would like to know why some write that GW2 is excactly like the rest of the lot, I've read several people writing that DE been done before so It's nothing new.

Can you please direct me to that game beacuse I have played most major MMO since UO and I have never seen a game that have GW2 type of DE and no WAR is not the same thing.

My point with this topic is besides having a lot of fun is, where is that game that is excactly like GW2, I would really want to know, plenty of people seems to know it they always write that GW2 is same old same old and still I find GW2 a completly new MMO experince.

Whats your previous MMO Experience? Longest MMO you have played and for how long? What is your shortest lived MMO and how short? Give something to compare to so I know how credible your words are. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by JeroKane

EDIT: I will however agree that the way the leveling system works in GW2 is unique and fun, at least I enjoy it. The skill system is pretty unique too but bothers me to no end that 90% of my skills are unlocked by level 15

One of the glaring issues with WAR's PQ's, RIFT's rifts and now GW2's DE's is that you need a minimum amount of players to be able to complete it.

The lower level zones will start to become underpopulated sooner than later. I already noticed it in the last days before I stopped playing this game and that was already almost a  month go.

And then what?  A lot of the Heart events are not soloable either due to mob densities. And with no quests in this game, how are people going to level up later on?

At least in RIFT and WAR you still had traditional quests to level up your character and continue on progression.

You can't expect to force people to craft and PVP to get enough XP to move on. Especially when PVP is already dominated by fully geared lvl80's. /shrug

Don't worry, Anet has you covered. Each zone down levels you, what this means is all those people looking to get 100% map completion are going to be coming to your lower level areas to help you out and they can't simply steam roll it so they'll need your help. Aside from that they made each race and their story different enough that many are going to and already are rolling alts. 

While I agree it was an issue in War and Rift, the reality is here you don't have to worry about that lol. 

DE's also aren't the only way to level. Granted you tried to discount crafting and PvP already but I'll be generous and takes those out of the equation. 

Leveling up is easy and most of the DE's in the lower areas you are reffering to actually tend to have multiple ways to complete. Not only that but if you help out in a DE and fail due to not enough people and etc. you still see it end and you still get a reward. Killing mobs tends to be the most effective way of leveling though believe it or not. On top of all this you also have the ability to go back to lower level areas and still recieve rewards, exp, and level appropriate loot. 

I thank you for showing concern for our community but it's not needed. I recomend you play and check it out. Looking at things on paper and saying oh thats it, it's going to fail isn't the same as experiencing the mechanics and such. Experiencing them will quickly show you why you are incorrect in your assumptions. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    I was happy in the fact that the cities are huge and look like they could accomodate people. They look like you could llive in them...there are areas that look like neighborhoods..not just a collection of merchants. It took me at least an hour or two to run about a city. It was fun in and of itself. The rest of the game is a blast too....though I'm messing with PS2 beta for now. Is there a halloween event going on in GW2?

They haven't announced a Halloween event yet, but they've sure hinted about it.  I can't wait.  I loved the Mad King events in GW1 and can't wait to see what the Mad King will do in GW2.

On topic - I think where the problem lies for some people is that GW2 didn't reinvent the wheel.  While they implemented some definitely new concepts (Vistas, the leveling system, etc.) many of the best features of the game aren't new to the genre of MMORPGs.  Yes, the basic concept of WvWvW has already been done, the basic concept of DE's has already been done, as has the basic concept around crafting, dodging, active combat, etc. etc.  So, since the basic ideas are lifted from other games, some people see it and say "oh, nothing new here", "been there, done that".

What I think many of these people miss is that GW2 basically did what WoW and EQ did.  Took great concepts from existing sources, tweaked them, melded them with other awesome concepts, and packaged it all in a new way.  To me, that gives the game a fresh new feeling without being alien.

I guess some people just want alien.

The Mad King coming to the Black Citadel - hmmmm. Some of the Charr NPC's might eat him. :-)

I can't wait to see what happens for Halloween and for Wintersday now the the Gods have left Tyria.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Don't worry, Anet has you covered. Each zone down levels you, what this means is all those people looking to get 100% map completion are going to be coming to your lower level areas to help you out and they can't simply steam roll it so they'll need your help. Aside from that they made each race and their story different enough that many are going to and already are rolling alts. 

While I agree it was an issue in War and Rift, the reality is here you don't have to worry about that lol. 

DE's also aren't the only way to level. Granted you tried to discount crafting and PvP already but I'll be generous and takes those out of the equation. 

Leveling up is easy and most of the DE's in the lower areas you are reffering to actually tend to have multiple ways to complete. Not only that but if you help out in a DE and fail due to not enough people and etc. you still see it end and you still get a reward. Killing mobs tends to be the most effective way of leveling though believe it or not. On top of all this you also have the ability to go back to lower level areas and still recieve rewards, exp, and level appropriate loot. 

I thank you for showing concern for our community but it's not needed. I recomend you play and check it out. Looking at things on paper and saying oh thats it, it's going to fail isn't the same as experiencing the mechanics and such. Experiencing them will quickly show you why you are incorrect in your assumptions. 

You pretty much map complete each map as you level through it, unless you rush through each zone and those type of players don't seem to care about map completion anyway.

And yes, when you're level 80, with all skills and maxed out traits you still going to steamroll the low level content. The downleveling isn't gonna change that fact.

I noticed it myself with a lvl20 character in good gear, that when I went back to a lower level zone I was killing mobs a hell lot faster already.  So imagine when you are level80 in full gear, maxed out tratis and skills.

Crafting is not going to be popular, as everything you craft is pretty much worthless, so most not gonna bother with it.

You get plenty of green gear as you level and the rest you buy ridiculously cheap on the Trade Post.

I love crafting myself, but just got bored with and stopped doing it, as it was just pointless as it costs more to make than you sell it for.

PVP currently is just crap, now more and more fully gear maxed traited level 80's join in, one shotting everyone left and right. /shrug

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

No you don't.

I haven't found a DE I couldn't solo yet, except for the rare group ones. It is perfectly possilble to solo the game by doing DEs exclusively. And besides, as mentioned, there is plenty of motivation for higher level characters to roam across all levels - from completing maps, farming low level crafting mats (always in demand) and simply exploring.

That being said, I would love some kind of improvement in PvP leveling side of things. There should be an option to earn xp through sPvP and WvW xp rewards should be upped.

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

No you don't.

I haven't found a DE I couldn't solo yet, except for the rare group ones. It is perfectly possilble to solo the game by doing DEs exclusively. And besides, as mentioned, there is plenty of motivation for higher level characters to roam across all levels - from completing maps, farming low level crafting mats (always in demand) and simply exploring.

That being said, I would love some kind of improvement in PvP leveling side of things. There should be an option to earn xp through sPvP and WvW xp rewards should be upped.

Hard to believe that you have soloe'd all DE's since they are mostly chain events and end up with a champ boss in the end. The events which involve a veteran are very few maybe one or two i came across in one zone. rest are all group events.

So either you have some how discovered the god mode to solo these or you are just bull shitting us.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    But imo WARs PQ's and Rifts well RIFTS are very simmilar to GW2's DE system. You can argue it until your blue in the face but the sad fact is that DE's have been done before. The system itself has been around for a while, it just wasn't called DEs. DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.

trying to agree with the OP i will answer that the DE are not just glorifed versions of WAR's public quests, qause these quests were unique for each whole map, and they had ranks on the profits, at GW2, DE are the rule and they dont have this competitve aspect in PvE ..!

when they are not bugged they work awesomely ..!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

You pretty much map complete each map as you level through it, unless you rush through each zone and those type of players don't seem to care about map completion anyway.

And yes, when you're level 80, with all skills and maxed out traits you still going to steamroll the low level content. The downleveling isn't gonna change that fact.

I noticed it myself with a lvl20 character in good gear, that when I went back to a lower level zone I was killing mobs a hell lot faster already.  So imagine when you are level80 in full gear, maxed out tratis and skills.

Crafting is not going to be popular, as everything you craft is pretty much worthless, so most not gonna bother with it.

You get plenty of green gear as you level and the rest you buy ridiculously cheap on the Trade Post.

I love crafting myself, but just got bored with and stopped doing it, as it was just pointless as it costs more to make than you sell it for.

PVP currently is just crap, now more and more fully gear maxed traited level 80's join in, one shotting everyone left and right. /shrug

See this is why you should leave this kind of stuff to those that have actually played. 

There are several of these starting zones that you are saying won't have enough people to do the content. Each race has one and people from other races do indeed go back and do the other races starting zone. They have to if they want 100% map completion. 

And yes, the content gets easier when you get higher level. But no, you aren't going to steam roll it. I saw 2 level 80's trying to take out a level 21 gold for example and I saw them both get there arses handed to them. I ran up and helped out and the 3 of us took it down. 

You also don't understand that many go back for the massive boss fights as well. There are a lot of reasons that people will and actually already do go back to lower level zones. This isn't WoW where a lower level area goes dead because people have out leveled the content and the drops there. 

I recomend trying the game, I know you tried to say you have but you demonstrate a lack of knowledge or understanding that you shouldn't if you actually played. 

As far as WvW goes... my level 35 seems to do just fine there. Sure gear and stats make a difference, but it isn't quite as much as you seem to think. Again, I recomend actually playing before jumping to anymore conclusions. 

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by halflife25

Hard to believe that you have soloe'd all DE's since they are mostly chain events and end up with a champ boss in the end. The events which involve a veteran are very few maybe one or two i came across in one zone. rest are all group events.

So either you have some how discovered the god mode to solo these or you are just bull shitting us.

well yes every DE end with a champion but thats the last part, cause almost every DE also start as soloable, and easy to master it alone, you just cant finish the last chain, until then you get normally rewards ^^

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Well it makes it hard to answer the question if the answer is 'WAR' and you say no it isn't.

Whether you think so or not,

The DE's in GW2 feel the same as they did to me in WAR and in Rift. To me, the differences between the 3 systems are as negligable as the differences between WoW, EQ2 and SWToR quest hubs.

This is how these DE's are the same:

-you trigger event

-anyone can participate

-waves of increasingly difficult mobs come at you, culminating in a final boss or 'mass wave' of mobs

-they scale to the number of people involved

So, those things are absolutely the same in all those DE systems - so, now the burden of proof is on you:

In what way does GW2's DE system work DIFFERENTLY from WAR or Rift?

But I do find it interesting you basically are saying,

'what color is the sky? And no it isn't blue'

and then coming back and saying,

'why isn't anyone answering me?'

So here is my answer:

The sky is blue.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by halflife25

No you don't.

Not really, as I sad I can complete em all except the group ones. So? A DE chain is comprised of many events (please notice i said "complete DEs" and not "complete DE chains" - two different things there) and if I can solo most of them and get karma xp and loot for my efforts then it's perfectly viable to solo level via DEs only. And besides, I do take out some champs occassionally, especially when downleveled, dunno maybe a ranger is OP while soloing. The only DEs I cannot complete on my own are those clearly marked as "group" ones and are in my level range.

See this is why you should leave this kind of stuff to those that have actually played. 

Ok so maybe i should give my input on this subject matter.

There are several of these starting zones that you are saying won't have enough people to do the content. Each race has one and people from other races do indeed go back and do the other races starting zone. They have to if they want 100% map completion. 

Yes assuming that every player does want to go back and do 100% map completion. Game world is huge and population gets divided a lot. That is why lower level zones gives an impression that you are soloing. Happened to me on second alt.

Also you are assuming that only because people come back to lower zones they will actively participate in DE's. like you said they want 100% world completion which can be attained without doing events so they under no obligation to help anyone.

And yes, the content gets easier when you get higher level. But no, you aren't going to steam roll it. I saw 2 level 80's trying to take out a level 21 gold for example and I saw them both get there arses handed to them. I ran up and helped out and the 3 of us took it down. 

You are going to steam roll everythign except for champs. i steam roll anything on my warrior however i can't solo champs.  granted i can't one shot mobs at my lvl 80 warrior but i can surely two or three shot them. I don't see much difference there. 

You also don't understand that many go back for the massive boss fights as well. There are a lot of reasons that people will and actually already do go back to lower level zones. This isn't WoW where a lower level area goes dead because people have out leveled the content and the drops there. 

You don't know that for sure. it is again an assumption that 'many' go back for massive boss fights granted that those kind of meta events are rare in lower zones. ORR is where events really shine (when they are not bugged ofcourse). Other 'lot' of reason would be to complete 100% world exploration and i already covered this point above.

I recomend trying the game, I know you tried to say you have but you demonstrate a lack of knowledge or understanding that you shouldn't if you actually played. 

As far as WvW goes... my level 35 seems to do just fine there. Sure gear and stats make a difference, but it isn't quite as much as you seem to think. Again, I recomend actually playing before jumping to anymore conclusions. 

Now i agree with your sentiment that compared to other MMOS, the low level content doesn't become uesless once you hit 80 but i think you are just exaggerating a bit here.

Not really, as I sad I can complete em all except the group ones. So? A DE chain is comprised of many events (please notice i said "complete DEs" and not "complete DE chains" - two different things there) and if I can solo most of them and get karma xp and loot for my efforts then it's perfectly viable to solo level via DEs only. And besides, I do take out some champs occassionally, especially when downleveled, dunno maybe a ranger is OP while soloing. The only DEs I cannot complete on my own are those clearly marked as "group" ones.

Sorry didn't pay much attention to 'semantics'. I assumed that when you said  'i can solo pretty much all DE's' i assumed you were talking about DE as in a whole and not a part of it.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

The issue here is that you are so willing to consider DE's some kind of "new wave" in gaming.  The issue is that it is not new at all.  The only thing different between a DE and a quest in another game is that you actually get to talk to someone in the other game.  This one, the quest is triggered by area and time, rather than acceptance.  Otherwise there is no difference and through all the time I put in, I would go as far as to say that the quests involved in each DE feel ALOT more generic than some of the quests Ive done in other games.  

The DE's follow a type of gameplay that the Eastern market really loves and that's fighting off waves of the same mob over and over again.  Not all, but MANY of the DE's I did were very similar to this and were very boring because of it....all I kept saying to myself was "Oh geez...gotta kill more of these guys???"

As for Vistas, can everyone please stop considering this content?  It really isnt.  If you are an explorer like I am you are going to find these locations with or without vista points.  EVERY game allows you to find hidden things...it's just with GW2 it's not so hidden...

Lack of trinity - as Ive said several times before, it allows for lazy development.  No longer do devs have to worry about boss mechanics vs. 5, 6 and 10 different toons/classes....instead everyone, although with slight variations, are all the same going in, so just add hp's to the boss, make him hit hard and you have what ANET calls a dungeon mob....it's pathetic.  

Anything they did "innovate" appears to have devolved gameplay and many are complaining about it (even the fans).  Other things they've innovated have made very minor cracks in the evolution of MMORPG's....like the following:

Skills attached to weapons - makes things too simple, kills skill progression and is too limiting...terrible idea

Material Nodes - the best idea they made where I can get mats from a node without it effecting someone elses ability...great idea, but only makes a small difference if any.

"end-game starts at level 1" - this sounds like something a politician would say to make you not hate them....it's an excuse. What they really meant was "except for some open world dragons and things you could do prior to level 80 anyway, there is no endgame" - no endgame is always a bad idea.

So please enlighten me on how this game is so much "different" than any game....it really isn't.