Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Player Numbers

Comments

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

If anyone thinks the game is dying, I can only think they must be on an underpopulated server and  need to switch to a busier one. I play on Gandara and that's mostly during the daytime rather than evenings. Wherever I go, whether it be to explore Vistas, POI's, Hearts, Skill Challenges or simply exploring out of the way nooks and crannies on the map, I will see other people there. From late afternoon onwards, there is still always a queue for WvWvW.

Dying guilds? We stopped actively recruiting for ours when the game launched and still haven't lost enough members to warrant advertising for more yet. Whatever time of day I log on there will be other members showing in the guild tab. From memory, I think we've had one transfer to a US server, one was kicked for playing with another guild, which is against our rules, a couple are taking a break for real life issues reducing their playing time and a couple have said they'll be around less because they want to play in WoW MP or Borderlands 2.

No doubt we'll lose a few more temporarily to expansion releases in other games such as LotRO and Rift but because of the buy to play nature of GW2 I expect most of them will return after a while when new content/expansions for GW2 are released. All the signs are that this game stands to have an extremely long life.

• XtrizXtriz Member UncommonPosts: 48

Wierd, when im playing its very active servers.

Like Fantasy Sidescroller? Join http://blixtenquest.com now !

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    In 2 weeks GW2 will fall below Minecraft and diablo 3. A week after that it will fall below Starcraft, Arma 2, and Swtor, if this trend continues on Xfire. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by thekid1

Eh I logged in just now after two weeks not playing and saw most servers on high (EU) and some full (US).

Seems healthy enough.

I logged out after 30 minutes or so, for some reason I have to force myself to play and that means it's time for a new game. DAMN.

Same here. Though GW2 is an awesome game, I'm just not enjoying it atm. I've put it aside a bit and hope I'll be able to play it again sometime next month...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bcbully
    In 2 weeks GW2 will fall below Minecraft and diablo 3. A week after that it will fall below Starcraft, Arma 2, and Swtor, if this trend continues on Xfire. 

We have crossed this bridge many times - Xfire numbers are useless as it is a measure of Xfire users NOT All GW2 players.

Please understand that before you post.

I am in a guild on Gandara - we have 168 members and counting. That is not dying by any stretch of the imagination.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

For those of us that have graduated high school and aren't under peer pressure of trying to be popular, we have the ability to do things we like without needing confirmation that others approve.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by botrytis

We have crossed this bridge many times - Xfire numbers are useless as it is a measure of Xfire users NOT All GW2 players.

A lot of smart people came up with this thing called "Math" a long long time ago. The amazing thing is, it still works today.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

A lot of smart people came up with this thing called "Math" a long long time ago. The amazing thing is, it still works today.

I don't use Xfire.  Neither does anyone I know, nor do any of the people they know... "Math" is about facts, not what you want the truth to be based on unquantifiable variables.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

But even math can't save you from Xfire being totally useless as there are to many unknowns, but a smart person would have realised this already a long time ago. 

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

Except when it's GW2 fans posting Xfire charts on other games bombing (SWTOR and WOW threads still fresh in my memory).

Right? :)

Just saying both sides have the same sort of posters. Also, trying to pretend Xfire doesn't mean anything at all is quite laughable. Presidential polls are done with less reliable information and still count as meaning SOMETHING; nothing definitive, but still something.

The fact is unless you know the percentage of players in agame, using Xfire, you cannot tell how a population is going. And don't say it is like a randomized pole (like with Political poles) it is not because certain people will use Xfire - it is not random.

Math still works - but you ACTAULLY have to have REAL numbers to back it up not imaginary ones.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

Welcome to the MMO with new endgame.

People are leaving because they are bored it is that simple. People are going to give you other silly fanboy explanations, but the simple truth is people are bored wandering around looking for something to do when their is nothing besides 'exploring' etc.

Pretty much - I mean there is nothing left to do at endgame besides explore or do the exact same W v W v W every single night....  WHhat a sad joke for end game.....

Originally posted by nsignific

Except when it's GW2 fans posting Xfire charts on other games bombing (SWTOR and WOW threads still fresh in my memory).

Right? :)

Just saying both sides have the same sort of posters. Also, trying to pretend Xfire doesn't mean anything at all is quite laughable.

Nope I said many times - Xfire DOESNOT represent the population in ANY GAME. I have said that before and will say it again. I have been consistent with that.

SO please go laugh in a corner - you have been bad.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    The game is very top heavy atleast on my server. Sp even though server status is full.. lower and mid zones are empty. That gives a feeling of being alone. In last two days for example in Timberline falls i can across total of two players. I had to abondon a lot of events because i couldn't solo those.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

If you're on a low pop server that is bad at WvW, expect everyone to dissapear to Henge of Denravi, StormBluff Isle or Jade Quarry.

Holla'.

Also as much as people hate to believe it Xfire is good for gaining a sense of the population and how that population plays the game. Obviously less people play GW2 than WoW and GW2 players play more casually, as is represented on Xfire.

All the MMOs I played as the general population played less, the xfire numbers became smaller. Of course it's no where near accurate but it gives an idea.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You seem to like using XFire as a reliable source as to the state of games. Well, let's do that... let's make the false assumption that XFire is somehow factually relevant and see what it tells us.

World of Warcraft. 9087 players, and the graph shows the standard surge in player time after release followed by the inevitable decent in hours played. If you look at the more recent dots, the decent is beginning to accellerate. 45,567 hours played averages to a current 5 hours per day per player.

Guild Wars 2. 6852 players and the graph following the same trend (over a longer period of time) as the WoW one above, but it's beginning to slowly flatten out instead of accellerate. 25071 hours played averages to a bit over three and a half hours per day per player.

Interestingly enough... according to XFire, Guild Wars 2 now has about 75% of the population (6852/9087) as WoW does. If you believe the "10 million players" (or whatever the current number is), that implies over seven million GW2 players now.

So, what does this tell us? Not a damned thing, to be honest.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by halflife25

The game is very top heavy atleast on my server. Sp even though server status is full.. lower and mid zones are empty. That gives a feeling of being alone. In last two days for example in Timberline falls i can across total of two players. I had to abondon a lot of events because i couldn't solo those.

still lots on Rall on all the lower zones I've been in..also pretty sure I have read numerous times on these forums that outside dungeons all pve content is brain dead easy and everything is soloable... so many conflicting statements on this game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Volkon

Interestingly enough... according to XFire, Guild Wars 2 now has about 75% of the population (6852/9087) as WoW does. If you believe the "10 million players" (or whatever the current number is), that implies over seven million GW2 players now.

I'll never believe that 10 million players nonsense. Random accounts subscribed on their parents credit cards still and chinese farmers don't count as players.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

You seem to like using XFire as a reliable source as to the state of games. Well, let's do that... let's make the false assumption that XFire is somehow factually relevant and see what it tells us.

World of Warcraft. 9087 players, and the graph shows the standard surge in player time after release followed by the inevitable decent in hours played. If you look at the more recent dots, the decent is beginning to accellerate. 45,567 hours played averages to a current 5 hours per day per player.

Guild Wars 2. 6852 players and the graph following the same trend (over a longer period of time) as the WoW one above, but it's beginning to slowly flatten out instead of accellerate. 25071 hours played averages to a bit over three and a half hours per day per player.

it just means, that a certain number of xfire users prefer to play League of legends..  over any other game.. if you don't use the Xfire tools for gaming, then there is no need to use Xfire at all, and for most MMO's that im aware of, Xfire doesnt actually provide anything useful, so why would they use it?  If there was any real kind of trend, i would say that Xfire users tend to use multi player online games, and im guessing that those are the 'demographic' that Xfire provides 'tools' for. image

Originally posted by Aerowyn

still lots on Rall on all the lower zones I've been in..also pretty sure I have read numerous times on these forums that outside dungeons all pve content is brain dead easy and everything is soloable... so many conflicting statements on this game

Yes if you don't want to follow chain of events and stick to hearts and doing only parts of events you can solo it. But i am pretty sure that those who say 'everythign is soloable' they usually mean general pve content and not the end bosses of events and dungeons.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

If you're on a low pop server that is bad at WvW, expect everyone to dissapear to Henge of Denravi, StormBluff Isle or Jade Quarry.

Holla'.

Also as much as people hate to believe it Xfire is good for gaining a sense of the population and how that population plays the game. Obviously less people play GW2 than WoW and GW2 players play more casually, as is represented on Xfire.

All the MMOs I played as the general population played less, the xfire numbers became smaller. Of course it's no where near accurate but it gives an idea.

No - Xfire, as another poster alluded to, only trends one specific type of player not ALL MMO. You can't trend anything with that tool as it is not random. If it was random, you could use it, right now it is great for that type of player only.

Originally posted by Phry

it just means, that a certain number of xfire users prefer to play League of legends..  over any other game.. if you don't use the Xfire tools for gaming, then there is no need to use Xfire at all, and for most MMO's that im aware of, Xfire doesnt actually provide anything useful, so why would they use it?  If there was any real kind of trend, i would say that Xfire users tend to use multi player online games, and im guessing that those are the 'demographic' that Xfire provides 'tools' for. image

I agree with you fully. I actually installed XFire about a week before GW2 came out but wound up uninstalling it a couple weeks later simply because it was using resources and gave me nothing of value in return. Sadly, I probably count as an XFire user that "quit" GW2, even though I'm nearly as active as ever.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon

I talk to a GuildMate he told me 3 thinks happen,   1. MoP   2 People got Bored  3 People Quite Becouse Some Stuff Is To hard To Get.

well propably your guild is an WoW guild : )

otherwise the game is full of active and the map chats are also active, finally its funny watching people agree with you that the game is dead :P

my guild is an casual one, that means no strong bonds between players and not active players, and we have everynight around 20-30 players active, and most of them representing ...

I'll never believe that 10 million players nonsense. Random accounts subscribed on their parents credit cards still and chinese farmers don't count as players.

And why shouldn't they count? as long as accounts are active why does it matter if it is chinese farmers or younglings playign on their parents credit cards?

And why shouldn't they count? as long as accounts are active why does it matter if it is chinese farmers or younglings playign on their parents credit cards?

The reason the Chinese are questionable as subscribers is the model they use over there, those time cards they purchase and play for pennies for hours. They don't even have to buy MoP, they get it for free, play a couple hours for a few cents and count as a subscription for WoW. That's why some tend to not consider the subscription number to be honest or accurate.

So, if you do think they count, then you also must think GW2 is up around 7 plus million players now?

Oderint, dum metuant.

This discussion has been closed.