Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] The Secret World: The New Game Director Speaks

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Kuppa

What! they aren't curing cancer or stopping world hunger?! you guys are aiming way too low...

On to the topic at hand now. I like his positive outlook and that they are looking at many things, I appreciate that he's very actively giving information in a time were I believe they need to be out there comforting their playerbase that everything is ok.

I think the reticle aiming thing is a mess though. If you plan on adding a half assed version of something that your lead programmer did in their free time I would not add it at all. At the very least disable it in pvp, Im not sure I agree with how much importance they give to the difference between aim vs target selection combat.

Its also interesting that so many people say there is no problems with animations, yet they are working on overhauling apparently all the animations. That solves that debate.

Ill look foward to checking out the stream tomorrow. Still the biggest dissapointment for me is that its not f2p and they are not looking at making it f2p anytime soon. But I still have hope that one day they will change their business model.

Geez dude. It's not even out yet. Rush to judgment much? PRetty crazy if you ask me.

As far as the animations. Enough people said the suck. Regardless of if they do or not, it's a very subjective thing. The thing is since it so subjective, how can they "improve"enough to make someone like you say "These are great!"? You could always and probably will do what you did right here. Completely trash a them before you even see them.

Pump your breaks man. 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

What! they aren't curing cancer or stopping world hunger?! you guys are aiming way too low...

On to the topic at hand now. I like his positive outlook and that they are looking at many things, I appreciate that he's very actively giving information in a time were I believe they need to be out there comforting their playerbase that everything is ok.

I think the reticle aiming thing is a mess though. If you plan on adding a half assed version of something that your lead programmer did in their free time I would not add it at all. At the very least disable it in pvp, Im not sure I agree with how much importance they give to the difference between aim vs target selection combat.

Its also interesting that so many people say there is no problems with animations, yet they are working on overhauling apparently all the animations. That solves that debate.

Ill look foward to checking out the stream tomorrow. Still the biggest dissapointment for me is that its not f2p and they are not looking at making it f2p anytime soon. But I still have hope that one day they will change their business model.

Geez dude. It's not even out yet. Rush to judgment much? PRetty crazy if you ask me.

As far as the animations. Enough people said the suck. Regardless of if they do or not, it's a very subjective thing. The thing is since it so subjective, how can they improve make someone like you say "These are great!"? You could always and probably will do what you did right here. Completely trash a them before you even see them.

Pump your breaks man. 

Im just judging it by what he said in the interview. Of course it could be something completely different so Im not judging the final product but his comments which included:

"...I don't want people to go overboard and think that this is going to completely change the combat experience of TSW

......We didn't have the capacity at the time, but Oystein our amazing Lead Coder, did a bit of work in his free time and created this optional targeting mode

...... I'd like to stress that it is not going to dramatically change the way we design skills and abilities and that we consider it to be a Quality of Life feature for players who prefer to play that way, rather than a massive overhaul to the way combat works in The Secret World.... "

This doesn't seem like a thought out idea, just something that is there for whomever wants to use it. But think of the implications of pvp or the fact that skills that are ground targeted will probably be funky and they are not adding any new skills with aiming in mind as well as not changing AI to behave differently, which is very much a factor when you take player perspective into account.

Im not trashing "future animations" in my statement, I don't even have an opinion on how good they will be because he doesn't give enough insight. Im just saying that many folks complained about them but many TSW fans always found those folks to be "making up" stuff or say they were just doing it to throw dirt at the game. We know that is not the case if the developer is making changes.

These are thoughts, thats what we are here to talk about. Im not trashing anything or anyone just posting my opinions on the interview not the final version of aiming or animations.

• Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52

I let my subscription lapse due to the fact that there are so many unfixed bugs/issues that people are contending with every day.  I love this game, I think it truly is a one-of-a-kind mmo (this seems obvious to me), but I don't like the fact that Funcom seems to be unable to fix some significant problems with the core of their game and then are unwilling to basically just admit that, hey we don't know whats wrong and right now we dont know how to fix it, but we're trying.  I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that they are spending resources coming up with a 'theatre' that is only useful to RP'ers, when there are some pretty serious bugs that need fixing that many people would consider 'game-breaking'.  On top of it, new, seemingly unfixable bugs or issues are introduced with every patch, which in itself would not be so much of an issue (this is an mmo after all) if the existing problems that have been around since beta were taken care of or at least addressed!

I guess right now I'm just on the fence about TSW,  will definitely be keeping an eye on it but am deciding against giving Funcom any more of my hard-earned gaming dollars until i see a bit more spit 'n polish on their game.  Perhaps the new game director will bring a bit more of this to the table, although I am disappointed that in two articles  he has not at all addressed any of the issues/bugs/problems with the game.

Im not trashing "future animations" in my statement, I don't even have an opinion on how good they will be because he doesn't give enough insight. Im just saying that many folks complained about them but many TSW fans always found those folks to be "making up" stuff or say they were just doing it to throw dirt at the game. We know that is not the case if the developer is making changes.

These are thoughts, thats what we are here to talk about. Im not trashing anything or anyone just posting my opinions on the interview not the final version of aiming or animations.

They are making the change to attempt to apease those that do have a problem. The game only sold 200k copies at launch, so regardless of how they or I feel. A change has to be made. As he said -

"I say our game because once an MMO goes live it is no longer a collection of ideas, features and dreams in the heads of a group of developers, but rather a living, breathing thing. It belongs as much to the players as the designers. It becomes, in essence, a collaborative project."

You have to give the people what they want, or atleast attempt to.

• Mombasa69Mombasa69 Member Posts: 6

The only seriously bad thing about The Secret World is...

"IT'S TOO DAMNED ADDICTIVE!"

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Land_Shark

I let my subscription lapse due to the fact that there are so many unfixed bugs/issues that people are contending with every day.  I love this game, I think it truly is a one-of-a-kind mmo (this seems obvious to me), but I don't like the fact that Funcom seems to be unable to fix some significant problems with the core of their game and then are unwilling to basically just admit that, hey we don't know whats wrong and right now we dont know how to fix it, but we're trying.  I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that they are spending resources coming up with a 'theatre' that is only useful to RP'ers, when there are some pretty serious bugs that need fixing that many people would consider 'game-breaking'.  On top of it, new, seemingly unfixable bugs or issues are introduced with every patch, which in itself would not be so much of an issue (this is an mmo after all) if the existing problems that have been around since beta were taken care of or at least addressed!

I guess right now I'm just on the fence about TSW,  will definitely be keeping an eye on it but am deciding against giving Funcom any more of my hard-earned gaming dollars until i see a bit more spit 'n polish on their game.  Perhaps the new game director will bring a bit more of this to the table, although I am disappointed that in two articles  he has not at all addressed any of the issues/bugs/problems with the game.

The ambiguous nature of your post leads me to believe you never played the game.  I have played TSW for many hours and it has not been completely bug free, but nothing even close to game breaking.  Can you fill me in on some of these "game breaking bugs" they can't fix?

• Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by nuttob

The ambiguous nature of your post leads me to believe you never played the game.  I have played TSW for many hours and it has not been completely bug free, but nothing even close to game breaking.  Can you fill me in on some of these "game breaking bugs" they can't fix?

Well, your assumption would be completely wrong, and I really don't see how my post was at all ambiguous unless you chose to see it that way 'just because'.  I've played TSW since CB,  and have MANY, many hours invested in the game. both pve and pvp.  I'm not here to bash it, nor am I about to rehash all the same crap you can find on the tech support game forums if you cared to ever visit it yourself.  I'm simply stating that I'm disappointed that they've let so many bugs go unfixed while delivering content that to me, seems a little useless.

Take it as you will, decontruct my post and critique it however you like, I've stated my opinion on the matter and that's really all I came here to say.  As I've mentioned,  I'm voting with my gaming dollars and if I see what I hope to see, then I'll be re-subbing - if not, I won't.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by nuttob

Well, your assumption would be completely wrong, and I really don't see how my post was at all ambiguous unless you chose to see it that way 'just because'.  I've played TSW since CB,  and have MANY, many hours invested in the game. both pve and pvp.  I'm not here to bash it, nor am I about to rehash all the same crap you can find on the tech support game forums if you cared to ever visit it yourself.  I'm simply stating that I'm disappointed that they've let so many bugs go unfixed while delivering content that to me, seems a little useless.

Take it as you will, decontruct my post and critique it however you like, I've stated my opinion on the matter and that's really all I came here to say.  As I've mentioned,  I'm voting with my gaming dollars and if I see what I hope to see, then I'll be re-subbing - if not, I won't.

So I asked what are some of these game breaking bugs?  That's what makes your post so ambiguous.  I am just curious as I never found anything game breaking after many hours of gameplay...

They are making the change to attempt to apease those that do have a problem. The game only sold 200k copies at launch, so regardless of how they or I feel. A change has to be made. As he said -

"I say our game because once an MMO goes live it is no longer a collection of ideas, features and dreams in the heads of a group of developers, but rather a living, breathing thing. It belongs as much to the players as the designers. It becomes, in essence, a collaborative project."

You have to give the people what they want, or atleast attempt to.

Exactly, they know that a very big complaint was the animations. So they are setting out to make a change regardless of wether you, me or them think its necessary. For the record, I think they needed to rework the current animations.

• auz10auz10 Member Posts: 9

You do know that not everyone at Funcom has the exact same job, right? That the people responsible for creating the theatre content are not the same people working on bug fixes, nor would they be working on bug fixes sans theatre content? I mean it's really a simple concept, so I can only assume you know this and are just kidding around.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Draron

I dunno about you, but I set my expectations pretty high and I like how Funcom is handling the game.

Its supposed to be a joke, re-read maybe? or maybe I should leave comedy altogether...

Nah, taking your post history (not saying it's wrong or anything) one would assume otherwise is all.

• ippyippy Member Posts: 4

The reticule sounds fun. Dont know why theres so much drama about it being a waste of anything. Its just one more option catering to more playstyles. Itll make me think about range builds a bit more as well which is surely a good thing. Its also entirely OPTIONAL so if you hate it, dont use it. But dont claim its worthless. Maybe itll be a bit scrappy at first, i dunno, but once its in the game then its got a decent chance of being built upon in the future and providing new ways of looking at world in game objectives (PVE or PVP). The fact is its a new mechanic which although pvp orientated at the moment, doesnt mean it will ONLY be pvp orientated. Maybe youll find it cropping up in investigation missions or just silly shooting gallery type quests. It adds not only to current content, but offers potential for future quests to be designed around it. Sounds fun and as a pvper im definitely excited to hear its a full over the shoulder view. 

Same with the theatre. I dont RP, but RPers are getting love too and why would anyone begrudge that. They always get the crappy end of the stick and have to fabricate content from out of their whazoo. This gives them something they can enjoy as a cabal, group or even as a server. Heaven forfend that there should be resources in an MMORPG that foster community and role playing! 

As for the other stuff, looking forward to more investigations, dont really care too mcuh about aux weapons, but it gives you something to do so what the hey. :) Ultimately i really just want that exploration zone idea to be brought in (on the secret world general forums). Im glad to see that the games still chugging away. Definitely looking forward to todays PVP announcements. Keep up the good work dudes. 

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78

Good stuff all around. Really looking forward to the udates and the Halloween Event thats will start this weekend. As Joel and most players agree, The Secret World is a very good game with some faults and despite their subscriber number and layoff situation, they are really delivering on the monthly updates!

However, he and Funcom fail to realize and/or admit, that their lack of success is not caused by any shortcomings of the game itself, but mostly caused by the business model they rolled out with. Maybe it doen't take a change as drastic as B2P/F2P to bring in the players, a reduction of the subscription to below 10$ might work wonders.

I dunno about you, but I set my expectations pretty high and I like how Funcom is handling the game.

Its supposed to be a joke, re-read maybe? or maybe I should leave comedy altogether...

Nah, taking your post history (not saying it's wrong or anything) one would assume otherwise is all.

Ill give up comedy image

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

“which also puts a DoT on characters which can only be healed through.”

They seem to have cut him of at the end of that sentence, maybe it was to much of a reveal. :)

• J-icepdJ-icepd Member Posts: 23

I want a TSW keyboard that vibriat in hard combat like xbox handconsol games.

MMO combat gets more alive then.  

• genotypegenotype Member Posts: 1

Dont wish for it to go free to play. If it did they would not be able to fund the weekly updates. If you want anything then maybe drop the price a little to the typical 9 pounds :P

• BlossieBlossie Member Posts: 8

If the animation revamp is as bad as the character creation revamp was then theres nothing to see here just more smoke and mirrors .

and still not even a height option , so sad .

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Hey Draron, why are you even reponding to this person? Check his post history, each and every 82 posts have the clear agenda to bash TSW by all means. The only reasonable thing to do: GO REPORT THE TROLL POSTS and let´s make sure he gets banned before he spills more lies and idiotic BS.  Next time he shows up we´ll recognize him immediately.

Simply put him on ignore and don´t eat the troll bait

Indeed, he probably has an idiotic agenda to bash TSW and I have the same impression about you! You just have a clear agenda to bash Guild Wars 2, I never read any productive information about the game in your posts, just the same boring, generic shallow criticism about "casual gameplay" and "hype". 

You see, I have the impression this guy never played TSW, just like I have the impression you never really experienced GW2, but even if you two played these games I still don't understand the repetitive, boring, idiotic, unproductive "criticism". I will never understand negative, obsessive and misinformed behavior towards a game! 

Real, deep, constructive and productive criticism is always good for everyone, but you know this is not the case.

If this guy just don't like TSW, there are many other games he can play and have fun and I can say the same to you.

Anyway, the interview is interesting and I am excite to see how TSW will evolve and grow as a game. Funcon always has some nice concepts and creations, I hope they learn from their mistakes with AoC and AO (both games full of nice ideas and atmospheres).

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

same as always. loads of "will be great/new/exciting" - but once its out, its half assed and bugged. new exciting melee weapon ? ok then pls get rid of cleaving bosses oh and make melee viable vs. ranged. reticule is again nothing that adds to content - a fing waste of time. also loads of people allready have a hard time with the controls and targeting.

fix bugs, fix skills, fix pvp, fix dx11, fulfill the promise you made about "play as you want" because atm there is only a few viable ways to play endgame !

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Torvac

same as always. loads of "will be great/new/exciting" - but once its out, its half assed and bugged. new exciting melee weapon ? ok then pls get rid of cleaving bosses oh and make melee viable vs. ranged. reticule is again nothing that adds to content - a fing waste of time. also loads of people allready have a hard time with the controls and targeting.

fix bugs, fix skills, fix pvp, fix dx11, fulfill the promise you made about "play as you want" because atm there is only a few viable ways to play endgame !

Humm, Seems F2P may be closer then everyone thought.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by Torvac

Humm, Seems F2P may be closer then everyone thought.

You obviously don’t play the game or follow it in any meaningful way other than to bash it.  TSW is an awesome game, many updates and features incoming including missions, raid, theatre and other rpg stuff, like sitting, smoking cigars etc also reticule aiming for combat and is all in Issue 1.4.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

One thing has not changed, you want to grind out AA/SP you still have to repeat the some old boring content.   Nothing they added with this update fixes that problem.

I was hoping for real content, not another aux weapon that adds even more grind.   And I hate the pvp in this game so oh well.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    If I would like to make a list which games I would NEVER touch, one of top items would be "reticule combat". Just hope this will be in pvp only as i could not care less for pvp then i actually do. If not implemented in pve I will for sure return at some time.