Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you kickstart?

syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I have seen a lot of kickstarter MMO threads on these forums lately.  

Ever since the laws for investing were changed, many great ideas for MMOs and video games in general have been acquiring some startup capital through kickstarter campaigns.  I think the idea of investing like this is great, but I want to see the results before I contribute my money to little more than ideas on a web page.  When we start seeing kickstarter-based MMOs actually being published and to a decent degree of quality, then I'll consider donating.

So, do you donate with the hopes that the "promised" game will be produced?  Do you donate knowing the money could just be wasted on a failed attempt to create something beyond the expertise of the individuals creating it?  Or are you like me, and want to see a kickstarter game be successful before risking an investment like that?

Comments

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Kickstarting is interesting, but....

devs should show something before they start collecting money. I feel once I gave them my money, I have less "control" over the end product.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    No I don't, kickstarter is a bottomless pit of money wasting. For every product that succeeds on Kickstarter, 100 others are wasting money. If you want to donate money, give it to someone you admire or a good organisation you know, don't just throw it away.
  • Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

i for myself contributed $$ to obsidians project .

The reason is simple : they are right in saying that this way they gain more freedom in creating  what a old school rpg game realy should be:

a piece of art  that entertains you,  instead of a piece of  o shit that  feels unfinished and a lousy copy of  whats been already there a million times. They involve you in the creation process and give you frequent  updates.

Do i play roulette by paying for something that isnt yet accessible to me and is in the making ? I guess i do to certain degree. But i think they will be more carefull  more focused and throw in everything they got to offer   on this kickstarter  path , because they  fail on this theyre pretty much finished as a company.

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72

Yeah, crowd-funding is the big thing nowadays, but I just feel that however cash-oriented businesses can be, at least they they don't have your money beforehand, so there's a limit to how much they can mess up for their own good. Personnally, I'm not from Rhode Island, and I don't want my money to go into a mini "38 studio" fiasco. Maybe it's short-sighted of me, and I still look at kickstarters just to see... But you know, if it's the business model you're talking about, not really my thing.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by ohpower

Yeah, crowd-funding is the big thing nowadays, but I just feel that however cash-oriented businesses can be, at least they they don't have your money beforehand, so there's a limit to how much they can mess up for their own good. Personnally, I'm not from Rhode Island, and I don't want my money to go into a mini "38 studio" fiasco. Maybe it's short-sighted of me, and I still look at kickstarters just to see... But you know, if it's the business model you're talking about, not really my thing.

youre right ...and i wouldnt have spend a single dollar on any mini studio without any credentials .

Originally posted by stayontarget
    Yes on this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YiHNDJyStWI

oh that looks neat . Ima take a look for certain

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Pumuckl71
    Yes on this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YiHNDJyStWI

Ah, yeah. Maybe for a single-player (or at least non MMO) game on Steam. It's not the same thing. But the subject is MMO kickstarters -not that my vision is that different for other games, but MMOs are just worst: you need to manage people, the social and community aspect of your game; that's one more layer of experience needed. For a single-player game, five people in a basement can make a pretty solid one provided they are talented and really dedicated. I really don't think it's the same thing.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I put it depends..

I have helped kickstart quite a few games now and some i am currently playing..

FTL, Chivalry, Endless Space and a few others.

I will generally only kickstart a game if I get a copy of such game and access to early beta so I can help out as much as possible.

They also have to have a good kickstarter page with good evidance they have a worknig product that is either not long off from late alpha stage or about to go into beta testing.

I just see it as an early pre-order just with added extras :)

Kickstarter and other similar things are one of the best thigns to happen to PC gamnig since Steam, and I am more than happy to support games that I like the sound of and that have good evidance they atualyl exist.

FTL is an awesome fun game and im glad i supported them.

Chivalry is also a good game and I am happy i put money in there.

Endless space did their own crowd funding thing that was similar to kickstarter and it also turned out to be a great game.

I have supported a few toher games liek Shadowrun Online and Planetary Anihilation both i really like the look of but dont have access to beta yet.

Will also be supporting Star Citizen when I get paid.

http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

So yeah i think Kickstarter is an awesome thing and we are finally going to start seeing games that we actually want to play. Of course i hope to see some awesome sandbox MMORPGs come out of kickstarter and thats somthing no big investors would even look at..

Actually thinking about it Monut and Blade did a very similar thing, you could pre-order early and get access to a very early alpha version of the game.

also minerwars did the same thing and Mincecraft.

of course Minecraft and Mount and Blade turned out to be massive massive games... Minerwars is just going into beta and its very good..

So yup Crowd funding is a very good thing for the gaming industry, time to get rid of the big publishers like EA.. I would much rarther give my cash to the devs than the publishers..

Here ya go, their kickstarter site:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035580424/blackspace-plan-dig-defend-survive

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Ah, yeah. Maybe for a single-player (or at least non MMO) game on Steam. It's not the same thing. But the subject is MMO kickstarters -not that my vision is that different for other games, but MMOs are just worst: you need to manage people, the social and community aspect of your game; that's one more layer of experience needed. For a single-player game, five people in a basement can make a pretty solid one provided they are talented and really dedicated. I really don't think it's the same thing.

To be honest I don't give a shit if its a MMO or not,  if the concept is sound and looks like it would be fun to play then thats all I care about.

Well to fund an entire MMO from the scratch , i agree ....kickstarter  its not a suitable tool .

But for indie sandboxes specially   it could be interesting ....since their communities are sooooo commited (couldnt help to put in some sarcasm here ).

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    I don't invest in things I have little to no chance of getting a return on. My money is better invested in hotpockets and energy drinks
  • DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

I will never kickstart a game.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I supported a few that either seemed like worthy causes or have a solid game that I want to play.

FTL was done via Kickstarter and that game is awesome. Just really really good and I'd be surprised if that doesn't make the makers of FTL enough to retire for the rest of their lives. It was in the top 3 on Steam at one point and that usually means 5-6 figure sales.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

NO !!!

A fool and thier money are soon parted.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I don't think I'd ever donate to a Kickstart project but I'm open to the (rmote) possibility one of these days. 

On a slight tangent, I'd dismissed the FTL game out of hand, seeing the way they implemented the game, but it scores quite highly on Steam.  I may well have a look at it, seeing as it's pretty cheap.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I have donated to two so far... I only donate to the ones I would like to play.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100
    I have backed 4 projects so far and all from companys that have good track records but want the freedom to make what they want.  I have gotten 4 games for 100 bucks, not going to sweat it if some dont release.    I have not backed any of the MMO  projects yet,some seem iffy. 
  • dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I think Kickstarter, and the crowd funding movement are great. They allow people to create thier vision without the need to have deep pockets. Find interest and spread the cost amongst thousands and no one really loses.

I am an avid boardgame player as well and have funded a few boardgames in Kickstarter. As long as you realize that it is not a store and it will take time to see the realized product then you will be OK. I have yet to be dissatisfied.

I kick started three PC  games at this point, Banner Saga, Obsidan's project, and Grim Dawn. While my boardgame experience with Kickstarter and Indiegogo has been great we shall see when it comes to PC titles.

Oh and FTL is fun, deserves its rating here, but is hard as all get out.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

No, I'd like to actually see a game before I buy it.

Donating based on pure hype is dumb.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

No.

I pay for products and services.

I do not pay for maybes and promises.

Agree,

With so many kickstarts they would need to pay me for my time just to take a look at all of them and decide which ones I would like.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

It depends.

I KS'd a few times now. I first have to recognize the company which menas they have made a successful product and shipped before. So I won't KS an indie company making an MMO, especially a themepark one. I have KS Pathfider Online's demo. They get a pass because the company making it is under Paizo, a pen and paper company whom I've done business with before and that has been around a long time. The other is Shadowrun Online. It is made by a company that has shipped games (Cliffhanger Productions) on top of CP working very closely with the Shadowrun PnP game's publisher (Catalyst) as well as SR' creator's comapny (Jordan Weisman and Harebrained Studios) and their SR singleplayer game they are making.

So that's MMOs regarding KS. All my others are single player RPGs by folks who, again, have made SP RPGs in the past I've played. I don't KS a brand new company's efforts as I don't know if they will ship their project.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

No, though its mostly since I don't have funds. Trutfhully I should try kick starting my own project. My biggest problem is I'm hesitant about taking risks and my cluster of different ideas would make picking one particular game to start quite difficult... that and I'd need people for the project that would actually have some MMO backing. I do know programming and I can touch base on most departments but its pretty much setting yourself up for failure trying to begin a project from scratch and delivering the product your supporters want the way they imagine it set up.

• CranktrainCranktrain Member Posts: 25
    I've kickstarted two things, both games. The first one, a game called Blade Symphony, is still under development a year after successful kickstarterage, with no end in sight. The other is Double Fine's Adventure game one, which while it isn't completed, I've already got the value out of however-many-dollars from the monthly documentary alone. Great to see how they do the development process.