Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sooo...How is Dishonored?

Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
It's scoring well on Metacritic.  Any thoughts so far?  It looks great.

Comments

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

I find it to be too easy and i'm playing at hard.

You got too many means of keeping yourself unseen/assassinating, not very challenging.I'm sure that one can keep himself unseen until the end of a mission just by using blink and nothing else.

The graphics aren't anything groundbreaking either.

I like the fact that you get more than one path to choose from when on a mission.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

GOTY material, if not the GOTY.

Gotta say, today's games standards are so low that if you don't put the difficulty to Very Hard, remove the quest markers etc. The game isn't as immersive as when you attempt to set it to a brutal experience. With you removing all the quest markers etc, it reminds me of the old good Tenchu series.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Not bad, too easy has some major issues like the lack of exploration(sorry but when you get a skill that shows where the "secrets" are located on the map, and if you are near one it will actually tell you to use the skill), enemies are way too stupid, the "rats" have like a single mechanic(dispose of bodies) in the game would be nice if they had more(e.g. make an opponent bleed so he will run to his team mates and bring those rats with him to nom nom nom on them), and the chaos mechanic besides givving you some different sound bites is so far meaningless.

And the story is weak, really weak i mean after the first mission they dump tons of stuff on you and apparently you have to be an assassin, not only that you are the only one that can be that kick ass assassin... this is all done with 0 explanation, 0 player involvement, and really turned me off from wanting to play the game more. BioShock had at least some char development even if it wasn't a classical RPG style of development you still felt that the char is developing and growing during the game and you could actually affect it some what, M&M also gave you a similar experience.

Dishonored just feels like a parody with out actually trying to be one.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Apparently its good but short
    Originally posted by DOGMA1138

Not bad, too easy has some major issues like the lack of exploration(sorry but when you get a skill that shows where the "secrets" are located on the map, and if you are near one it will actually tell you to use the skill), enemies are way too stupid, the "rats" have like a single mechanic(dispose of bodies) in the game would be nice if they had more(e.g. make an opponent bleed so he will run to his team mates and bring those rats with him to nom nom nom on them), and the chaos mechanic besides givving you some different sound bites is so far meaningless.

And the story is weak, really weak i mean after the first mission they dump tons of stuff on you and apparently you have to be an assassin, not only that you are the only one that can be that kick ass assassin... this is all done with 0 explanation, 0 player involvement, and really turned me off from wanting to play the game more. BioShock had at least some char development even if it wasn't a classical RPG style of development you still felt that the char is developing and growing during the game and you could actually affect it some what, M&M also gave you a similar experience.

Dishonored just feels like a parody with out actually trying to be one.

May contain various small spoilers, I attempted to keep it as spoiler free as possible, but minor spoilers related to game mechanics may be included.

Too easy = Game difficulty not set to the most difficult one, obvious at todays game standards, as they are designed for monkeys with low iq. But I agree, it could be more difficult. 

Lack of exploration = Well, those "secrets" aren't secrets, they are power ups that are pretty much a "must" to collect in order to actually be capable of playing the game to its proper extend. The thing that's horrible is the fact that all quest markers and stuff are enabled by default, so if one wants to get something out of the game, those need to be disabled. (The heart mechanic is actually really awesome, listening to peoples thoughts & history of areas)

Rats, well, there are multiple ways to have fun with them, I'll keep this spoiler free.

The story evolves around you being an assassin by trade. Yet you can just choose not to assassinate, and show yourself to every enemy and kicking their ass, causing the chaos meter to go overdrive.

The exploration mechanic becomes in the game with the multitude of ways to complete the missions. The game itself is an stealth-action game, not an RPG as Bioshock, for example is. The player involvement comes with the choices you make (they actually impact the game world, as one of the very first loading screen tool tips says; The more you go on "rampage", the more chaotic the world becomes.).

The world well, it isn't that open, but its not a necessity really either, this game isn't an RPG, as I previously mentioned, it feels like sci-fi tenchu, with larger maps.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Game mechanics like the stealth, multiple ways to do things, multiple plots that branch out and the giant world etc; gameplay wise it is absolutely solid AAA / GOTY material.

Game lore / world is fantastic with a very cohesive theme that it all fits together really well.

Game plot is a bit average and it does stick out a bit since the rest of the game is just so good though.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

I have started a lets play for it. on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohks2P1U_MA&feature=plcp

So far I'm having lots of fun, it's certainly game of the year material and could quite easily take the top spot, AC3 might knock it off that spot but it would have to be amazing. It does feel slightly arcade like, but at the same time I am fully immersed into the world, has a slight Deus Ex feeling to it which I am enjoying.

Check out the vid and see what you think.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Thanks for the responses.  I'll keep an eye on this one.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

It looks freakin awesome; unfortunately, I promised my wife I wouldn't buy any more games until I've beaten the ones I've already purchased this year.

My list is 12 games long, not including MMOs..............

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

It's Unreal 3, and it's not really suited for such games, the graphic engine is the least important part of a game, and also the simplest to pull off, it's a glorified power point presentation. Until Epic comes out with an engine that and support a dynamic consistent open world and not limited scripted instances/level that will not happen.

• ShenjShimpoShenjShimpo Member Posts: 16

combine BRINK art style with assassins creed in first persion view and u have dishonored

nothing AMAZING just a well made game but the 60 bucks for a 5-6hours campaign wont do...i will wait for price cut

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Simply Amazing, a little too easy, but don't let that keep you from it.

Originally posted by ShenjShimpo

combine BRINK art style with assassins creed in first persion view and u have dishonored

nothing AMAZING just a well made game but the 60 bucks for a 5-6hours campaign wont do...i will wait for price cut

The duration of the game is completely based on how difficult you make it for yourself. Perfect example are the quest markers; without them you have to seriously think, explore and find your way to the targets, you need to carefully read through the quest clues and stuff. Also turning the game to very hard increases the detection of the NPC's, so sneaking around will be a lot more difficult, not to mention that when so called "dead locks" arrive, dissambling these locks take time, as you need to first check how the enemies patrol and so forth. It's really enjoyable game that can challenge you, what bothers me is the fact that everytime you are caught, you just automatically press F9.

• I enjoyed the game, but as others have said it's kind of short. That also comes back to the plot in that it's a very interesting world they've created, but when you finish it you're left wanting more. Some of the more interesting characters don't get fleshed very much.

However, it is very good while it lasts, and has a good deal of replay value if you get into the game. There really are many ways to accomplish a mission, and the player gets massive mobility from certain powers to let you exploit this. The powers themselves are interesting and most have very flexible applilcations. I went with a no-kill approach my first playthrough, and I found the alternative solutions to killing my targets very satisfying. I enjoy the stealth approach, but you can also go in as a crazy berserker and finish the game (I did that my second time, pretty fun actually).

One thing that I love and hope future games incorporate are changing mission objectives. I won't give away any major spoilers, but details of your targets change with different playthroughs. A target might be in a different room, and npc speech and notes will give you appropriate clues. Another mission makes you investigate to figure out who your target really is, and the identity will change each game. It's very refreshing, and the levels with such variables are my favorites.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I absolutely loved it. Just finished and got the "high chaos ending". there are three endings that I know of. I don't think there are any more but if there are I haven't heard of them.

Now I'm going to try for the low chaos ending.

I never used Demon Sight so the sneaking around was actually a bit harder as you never knew what was around the corner.

There are a few things I have complaints about. One is preternaturally aware enemies.

On more than one ocassion I have used my trust cross bow to take out an opponent only to have enemies "waaaaaaaaay over yonder" be aware and start attacking me. This also happened when I was in a building and one of those Tall Boys became aware of me while outside the building.

The art design is great as it makes the city seem like it's dripping with decay and sickness, I love the stealth part of the game. There are a lot of skills that make things easier but I just never bothered with them.

I like that missions have alternate ways to accomplish them. I also love the little "heart" you get that allows you to find out backstory on some of the characters.

I will definitely play again.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Deddpool
    Simply Amazing, a little too easy, but don't let that keep you from it.

I agree the game is a little too easy, but I did enjoy it. I am interested in seeing what this team comes up with next.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It is a lot of fun! Could be GOTY. :)