Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

War of the Roses

Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

War of the Roses, not an MMO, but it is a multiplayer game. Has anyone tried it? Call of Duty with swords? Multiplayer Mount and Blade with better graphics? Thoughts?

Just curious.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Never even heard of that one until you mentioned it.
  • romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Played during the beta. I would say it's alright but nothing more than that. Archery has a severe problem with visual feedback, the "projectiles" are nothing more than some very lightly colored pixels. Hit-detection seemed to be hit and miss when you were using axes. There are also some rather severe balance problems. Squad spawning ruins any 1v1 combat scenarios when you have 3-5 guys randomly appearing when you try to fight someone. There are only 2 modes: TDM and Conquest. Apparently only 7 maps.

Other than that the game looks nice, runs well and the gameplay works. If you're considering buying it I would wait for a sale.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

War of the Roses, not an MMO, but it is a multiplayer game. Has anyone tried it? Call of Duty with swords? Multiplayer Mount and Blade with better graphics? Thoughts?

Just curious.

Not an MMO, yet you post it in the MMO forums which is literally right above the general games section? Just saying.

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Just launched 2 Oct 2012. Below is the info on Steam:

About the Game

War of the Roses is a team based third person action game set in 15th century England. Two rival branches of the Royal House of Plantagenet - the house of Lancaster (the reds) and the house of York (the whites) – fight over the throne, and the player is thrown into the fray.

The years of 1455-1485 in England are an extraordinary setting filled with conflict, treachery and bloodshed. In the wake of the “death of chivalry” at Agincourt in 1415 and the introduction of gunpowder, warfare changed - the gloves came off, so to speak. The old and the new clashed on the battlefield while personal vendettas motivated the desire for war.

War of The Roses sees players go toe-to-toe with their opponents using authentic and visceral weapons of the time period including broad swords, long bows and battle-axes.

Key Features:

• Customize Your Warrior - Choose your fighting style and select from over 30 play-style changing perks that let you create truly unique characters with special abilities like eagle eye or shield bash.
    • Choose Your Gear – Make your selection from over 30 authentic weapons across 10 weapon categories with your choice of blade type and metal type. More than a dozen customizable helmets and various armor types to choose from. Even create your own coat of arms with near limitless combinations as you choose your division, ordinary, charge, and crest.
    • Groundbreaking Mounted Gameplay - Melee combat will never be the same, mount up and experience new tactical and visceral thrills
    • Train to be the Ultimate Warrior - Experience a deep leveling system as you rise through the ranks, gaining new titles, weapons, gear, and much
    • Mass Devastation - Up to 64 player competition in both Team Death Match and Conquest modes. Battle online through 7 historically inspired war zones as you experience the conflict between Lancaster & York first hand.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• Graphics look nice. I really like the realistic style of the armours. I wish MMOs would do their armour in that style instead of going for over the top power ranger outfits.

Actual gameplay looks really awkward and awful, unfortunately.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Does not hold candle to Mount & Blade - it is worse imho.

If someone want to play this kind of game better to wait for Mount & Blade 2, wait for Chivalary or if you're really brave play Mount & Blade but it is heavily infested with pros, so learning curve is big.

On the other hand there might be people who have huge fun in War of the Roses. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Just curious.

I saw it played at one of the PAX events. Seemed pretty cool.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by fenistil

Does not hold candle to Mount & Blade - it is worse imho.

If someone want to play this kind of game better to wait for Mount & Blade 2, wait for Chivalary or if you're really brave play Mount & Blade but it is heavily infested with pros, so learning curve is big.

On the other hand there might be people who have huge fun in War of the Roses. 

I've also heard its worse than Mount & Blade. Clunkier or whatever...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• jimmytran80jimmytran80 Member Posts: 10
    Havent played it yet, but from its gameplay on youtube, i say it is quite like Mount & Blade, but maybe heavy for my old PC lol
  • TigasnakeTigasnake Member Posts: 33

War of the Roses is alright.  It's not bad.. but it's also not groundbreaking.  It was a safe release.

Speaking of taleworlds, could you guys imagine how much depth and potential a Mount & Blade: Warband sandbox MMO could become?  Of all the single player sandboxes I've played, Warband felt like the most likely to emerge as an MMO.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

This game is good ! better than M&B imo, speaking about multiplayer of course. There is no singleplayer campaing or anything similar, just a trainning ground. 

The combat is M&B+, but the + is worth it, graphcis are good also not the best but is good quality. The progression is simple but adds flavor to the game. 

Overall this game is a good purchase and i hope devs keep adding stuff to it or maybe modders. It's worth it if you enjoy this type of game. 

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Ive been playing it for a few days. Heres my thoughts..

- Before i say anything else, i think a lot of you would LOVE the game. There is no single player, its mostly just a few different battlegrounds with medieval combat with swords, shields, lots of 2 handed weapons, bow/arrow, crossbows etc etc. Its extremely visceral and violent. When you land a good hit, it feels REALLY good. There are pretty cool executions as well. There is a very, very high amount of skill involved to the game. So high in fact, that im absolutely 100% completely awful at it, and havent improved much over a few days either.

- There are a few balance issues (imo) but nothing completely gamebreaking and the obvious will be fixed. (i think)

-The developers interact with the players so far on the steam forums and seem to at least seem commited and even stating there will be *zero* DLC with future updates etc planned.

- The graphics are pretty damn good.

- The music and sound effects are well done.

- There are unlocks, perks, different armor sets/grades.

- Skilled players DEFINITELY stand out among the crowd. (wish i was one of them, which is my next point)

I just wish i was learning the game faster. I get a few kills here and there, and im trying very hard but damn this game just isnt easy lol. My biggest problem is connecting my hits (with any weapon) on a consistent or reliable basis, or when i do, make it actually hurt the player. There are physics built into the game where if even your weapon isnt angled right it will just bounce off or barely scratch the other players armor. The correct distance, and boy do i mean the EXACT distance you are away from your opponent differs from weapon to weapon. This, combined with very presice hit boxes (even for the face) seems to make the combat not very easy and at times, clunky.

For example, its not rare for a few players to be at the same area at the same time and be about the same shape im in. Its just hard to connect. Ive seen 1 player continously kill people with one hit to the face on a consistent basis and knock them out cold. Its visceral and i wish i was better at the game. Ive also read reports that lag and server stability have a major effect on you landing hits, or someone landing hits on you.

For example, ive read its a valid tactic to join a server with higher ping to your location. Because of this, you are harder to hit and it can make a major difference. Things like this need to be examined immediately if they are true. The combat is so hard to learn you're not sure if you suck or sloppy game mechanics are causing you to miss and glance your blows.

Then, you'll see a player with low ping at the end of the match that was completely smashing everyone so i know its possible and its more than likely im just still terrible at the game. Every once in a while, when you do hand out some ass whippings, its very gratifying and you can even put an axe in his neck or a dagger right through his throat and eyes just for a show off finale.

Thats about all i can say, which i will repeat once more, im so damn terrible at this game it makes me reconsider if i should even be playing video games at all! Skill ceiling is very high, the combat can be intense (like  i said, needs a few adjustments for sure) but i think a lot of you especially the skilled players might fall in love with this game, fast.

Edit;

I can go a full match and not get one kill. haha still learning. Anyway i almost forgot;

If there are other players that can give me any melee combat advice (not ranged) i would really appreciate it. A lot..

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    I did the War of the Roses beta and I was not all that impressed.   It does have that Mount and Blade feel, but make no mistake, this is not Mount and Blade.  No single player game.  It is all about maps and multi-player - think medieval CoD.   Combat is not as good as Mount and Blade - not even in the same league.   Very rough around the edges and clunky.    Needs more polish.    I do like some of the art and graphics...but then again, graphics never trump game play.    I'd wait until it goes on sale before throwing money at it - or just wait.    TaleWorlds is working on Mount and Blade II: BannerLord.   ^_^
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Been playing since early beta and still playing now..

Awesome fun a lot easier to get into than m&b is and more fun to boot..

Some of the most enjoyable combat i have come accross in this type of game, yes its similar to m&b but somthing about it just makes it more fun and thats what matters..

Well worth the cash and because it has sold so well the devs have been told they can carry on making new DLC so expect to see a lot of new stuff.

There are a few minor balance issues and a few bugs but nothing game braking.