Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Already stopped playing

ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

I've played MMOs since EQ1.  Out of all the 2012 new releases GW2 has looked the most promising.  And without questions there IS a lot to like and enjoy.  But the show stoppers that killed it for me:

1.  Character progression:  Too much of the same.  Over and over and over again.  Whereas in other MMOS I am preoccupied with where my toon will be in terms of new gear and new zones this MMO is the ever repeating story.  It feels the same at level 32 as it does at level 9.

2.  Grouping is uneventfully bland.   I understand the design intent is to simplify the typical complexities of "finding groups" this game has made it to where its so routine and simple it has lost the pleasures of grouping.

3.  Guilds?   Why?  For another chat window?  Boring.

I quit after 3 weeks.  Just not for me unfortunately.   

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Chaserz

I've played MMOs since EQ1.  Out of all the 2012 new releases GW2 has looked the most promising.  And without questions there IS a lot to like and enjoy.  But the show stoppers that killed it for me:

1.  Character progression:  Too much of the same.  Over and over and over again.  Whereas in other MMOS I am preoccupied with where my toon will be in terms of new gear and new zones this MMO is the ever repeating story.  It feels the same at level 32 as it does at level 9.

2.  Grouping is uneventfully bland.   I understand the design intent is to simplify the typical complexities of "finding groups" this game has made it to where its so routine and simple it has lost the pleasures of grouping.

1. Character progression is very samey in other MMO's, the story for each race has 3 different stories in GW2, so I find this complaint a mute point.

2. Pugs are bland groups in any mmo, you don't know each other you are gauranteed to have a whiner or a person with bad attitude, join a guild and make friends to group with.

3. Guilds are useless? in what way? Guilds have more use in GW2 than most other MMO's.  The only reason I have joined and left guilds, is because they don't interact with members the leaders only want members to give the guild influence.

I'm not defending GW2, the game has its faults and I can think of better and more valid reasons for quitting.  My main question to you is though, why post your decision to quit? are you expecting everyone to agree and join you in quitting the game?  You quit, I don't care as I'm stilling playing.

Edit, should of noticed it was your first post and just joined site, propoganda doesnt work on me.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Sounds to me like you need a break from MMOs in general.

And reducing all your arguments to their simplest points does not sound smart. It sounds like you didn't put much effort into the features at all.

Take a break, come back later. No subscription is forcing you into anything. ;)

• AshenTechAshenTech Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

1. Character progression is very samey in other MMO's, the story for each race has 3 different stories in GW2, so I find this complaint a mute point.

2. Pugs are bland groups in any mmo, you don't know each other you are gauranteed to have a whiner or a person with bad attitude, join a guild and make friends to group with.

3. Guilds are useless? in what way? Guilds have more use in GW2 than most other MMO's.  The only reason I have joined and left guilds, is because they don't interact with members the leaders only want members to give the guild influence.

I'm not defending GW2, the game has its faults and I can think of better and more valid reasons for quitting.  My main question to you is though, why post your decision to quit? are you expecting everyone to agree and join you in quitting the game?  You quit, I don't care as I'm stilling playing.

from my exp with people who make this kind of post they just want to QQ and hope somebody will validate their decission, and im sure somebody will, the games not for everyone, players who want the insanly slow leveling and progression setup of EQ1 and the typing to hail/hale npc's wont like gw2, they want their carrot on a stick, they want their "go kill 20 rats and come back" type quests.

this isnt a bad thing, if thats what they need to have fun, there are plenty of games that will suit their needs....gw2 isnt like that so it wont really make them happy.

im not attacking the OP, hes not alone or uncommon, I have seen this type of thing for decades now, and honestly, i have come to just roll my eyes at it.....

man how todays carrot on a stick gamers would hate UO........

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by huihuhuhu
    [mod edit]

Surprising as it may be, his reasons of quitting are more valuable both to Anet and to us, than your misguided white knight crusade vs the infidels that don't like your game.

Newsflash, GW2 is noone's damsel in distress, does not need protectors and saviors.

Besides, if game quality was measured by the amount of "I quit" posts, then WoW should have as subscribers the developers and their families. On the contrary, the more "I quit" posts exists, the more passionate people are about them, the better a game seems to fair.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Whats with all these people making accounts here just to bash a game?

Some of us enjoy it, and want a forum where we can just chat about the game - not a forum full of brand new 1 post members telling everyone how much he or she dislikes the game.

Constructive critism from members is all well and good, but a forum full of MMORPG newbies just here to make people stop playing is not a fun or interesting place to visit.

Which I guess is their goal.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• ElquinElquin Member UncommonPosts: 47

I disagree completely... I've been all around the block with MMOs and it's taken me a while to get back into one that I felt really had a strong grasp on me. Too many games have been coming out that just lack life. GW2 is full of life, full of excitement and it's easy to get into and play the game the way you want to. You have the freedom to solo, group, craft, pvp... whatever you want! They don't make it impossible for any style of gamer to make it in Tyria. Events in Tyria tie in with the world, it's inhabitants and the player. It just makes sense! I like that they don't make simple tasks impossible as a means to make players feel like they have to waste their time and play the game for hours upon hours without really gaining anything from it. Instead, they filled the game with story, adventure and good ole PvE and PVP.

I'm relatively new to the game... a week in so far at level 37 with two alts. I'm finding GW2 to be the breath of fresh air I've been looking for. I'm always finding new things to enjoy about the game so far... ok... ok... so some of the vistas have been frustratingly challenging, but they should be!!! It makes it fun and rewarding with a point and purpose. Not like other MMOs that make you think spending 30 days collecting a certain item to complete a quest is a purposeful challenge (True story) >.>;  Quests like those in other MMOs are time sinks to keep you playing and spending $$$... another bonus about GWII... NO MONTHLY FEE!!! How nice it feels not to worry about your monthly bills piling up.

To finish up... I just joined a guild today. I can't really comment on the guild aspect of the game, but to me... I see great benefit already. I sure could have used an organized team of friends in WvW earlier today...

Playing- GWII.
    Played-VSoH, EQII, DF, PotBS, AC2, UO, AO, FFXI, WoW, EQII, DDO, KO, VSoH, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, GB, SWG, TR.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Originally posted by AshenTech

from my exp with people who make this kind of post they just want to QQ and hope somebody will validate their decission...

Yep, I agree.  Every MMO game forum I read has posts like the OP, no matter what the MMO actually is. They get real old real fast.

OK guys and gals, if a game isn't to your taste, resist the temptation to share and STOP PLAYING.  There are so many pointless threads like this on MMO forums that they just blend into a chorus of boredom and repetition.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    This just in, little Suzie didn't eat all her green beans at dinner this evening.

And in other news someone didn't like GW2 and quit playing.

Seriously, post on your main. And if really a new member to this forum welcome and take some time to read why it's not OK to start yet another new thread on this topic.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AshenTechAshenTech Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Originally posted by AshenTech

from my exp with people who make this kind of post they just want to QQ and hope somebody will validate their decission...

Yep, I agree.  Every MMO game forum I read has posts like the OP, no matter what the MMO actually is. They get real old real fast.

OK guys and gals, if a game isn't to your taste, resist the temptation to share and STOP PLAYING.  There are so many pointless threads like this on MMO forums that they just blend into a chorus of boredom and repetition.

this is just a suggestion, but the mods could make a Q.Q(I quit) section....thats what i would do on my forums if we had such issues(we dont, our guys wouldnt qq like this if they quit a game)

that would give these people a section to QQ in and complain about the game and they could talk to eachother without the need for anybody to take them seriously....

glad somebody else has seen things i have....it gets old...the funniest ones are the ones who quit and come back dozens of times and post about it every time.....drama llamas!!!!

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239

First-time poster telling us why why he/she's quitting the game.

Nothing to see here everyone, move along.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

join the trend I quit Tera in beta and lasted 10 days in TSW ...

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Oh god.. WHO CARES what you play and what you don't play.

These threads should have their own "I stopped playing GW2" subforum for the trolls. Servers are still full and people are enjoying the game. Get over it.

Eat me!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    This just in, little Suzie didn't eat all her green beans at dinner this evening.

And in other news someone didn't like GW2 and quit playing.

Seriously, post on your main. And if really a new member to this forum welcome and take some time to read why it's not OK to start yet another new thread on this topic.

Thank you Kyleran.  That's one thing you and I agree on when it comes to GW2. 

We get it.  Some people don't like this game.  Hooray for you.  Run along now, children.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Cyrael

First-time poster telling us why why he/she's quitting the game.

Nothing to see here everyone, move along.

^^ This.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    So... one post equals 1.5 stars now lol.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Like i care about what u play or don´t.....

BTW WHO ARE YOU?

At least you could of have presented yourself in your first post in this site.............

Oh let me guess....you just created an account to let everyone here (that don´t even know you) know about your reasons to quit a game....

This is getting ridiculous in these forums.........

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    So... one post equals 1.5 stars now lol.

You know how it is these days, everyone gets a trophy :)

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

Well looking at atl the full servers this evening when I logged on seems theres plenty of us that are still enjoying it .

From what the OP says he sounds like hes more bored with mmos as a genre because a lot of what hes applying to GW2 can be applied to pretty much every single other mmo out there .

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by roo67

Well looking at atl the full servers this evening when I logged on seems theres plenty of us that are still enjoying it .

From what the OP says he sounds like hes more bored with mmos as a genre because a lot of what hes applying to GW2 can be applied to pretty much every single other mmo out there .

Looking at server strength & capacity isn't necessarily a good way to judge popularity, since these values are tweaked (or can be tweaked) by the game staff & devs.  SWTOR did this, most notably at launch to spread population out among servers (full server was maybe 1000 players at first).  The limits in this case got incrased as the first month progressed to 4000 being "full".  Later SWTOR lowered the bar to make dying servers still "Heavy" or "Standard" for instance, as speculated by Xfire analysts.

Xfire shows a remarkable decrease in activity by a factor of 3. 85k+ down to 25k'ish for GW2.  You can argue Xfire is worthless, but then I guess the launch numbers were a fluke as well.  It's good for trending if nothing else, which is what people use it for.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I doubt you ever played the game.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I hate to say it, but alas I have to agree. I SO wished I would stay in GW2, really. But it just doesn't keep me. GW2 has some really great features. But yes, routine and to much of the same describes my feeling too. *shrug* Can't even say why exactly, but something just doesn't work for me here. :/

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I thought the automatic grouping was god awful as well and I hated WvW.

But then I brought my TERA guild over and we all hit 80 and started doing organized 5 man WvW, now that's pretty fun.

There's also 8 endgame normal mode dungeons(story) and 25 endgame hardmode dungeons(explorable).

33 endgame dungeons(in a sense) and there's no dungeon finder, so you actually have to make your own groups, which is definitely a good thing.

At first I didn't really dig GW2 too much, but I really do like it now that i'm 80.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

When played like a single player game, the game is fun at first then gets stale real soon.

1. DEs? You can solo them and in some where you'd need help, you'd find some stumbling along to help you without even interacting with you.

2. sPVP? Join a channel and play. No need to talk to any one.

3. WvWvW? Follow the zerg, follow those crossed-swords on the map. Done, no talking.

4. Dungeons? Oh here you'd need to do some talking. However, you can get the same gear stats you'd get from tokens from simply farming and crafting/buying them off the trading post.

Pretty much everything  is accessible to the solo player. In fact, it is so accessible that it has revealed the dilemma of the typical MMO player - the artificial need to group and the purpose of a guild. The dillema of not being forced to group is so lost on the undeniably anti-social MMO'er that he forgets the concept behind those groups.

If you treat other people as means to an end (i.e. join guild to raid to get loot; join pug to run dungeon to get loot; autogroup to run DE to get xp/karma), it becomes a shallow endeavour. Other games manage to hide this by making content hard enough that people are forced to group and "socialize".

This game doesn't force you to group, but hell it offers something more than that need. Laugh at your friends falling off a jumping puzzle. Roam around with your friends in WvWvW and pick off those stragglers. Better yet, prepare an ambush on the EB WvWvW jumping puzzle and laugh as your enemies fall to their demise. There are little things behind the game that makes it fun - but to experience that kind of fun, you'd best be treating that guild chat as "just another chat box". Play with your friends, make friends and just enjoy it as an MMO.

TLDR: Game is a fun single player at first then gets boring quick. Game is epic when played as an MMO.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I stopped playing too. Just kidding.  I'm leveling a Guardian this time.  I might stop for awhile though and take a break until the Halloween event is here.  I'll probably just do something else in real life in the meantime.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Wow you lasted longer in GW2 than I did in most other supposedly "AAA" mmo's.  However, I'm stil playing GW2 since headstart.

/shrug

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor