Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard time getting into. Please help

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Each time I read "better combat in Tera", I can't help chuckling... most skills that root you, only one weapon per class, oh yeah, awesome.

Well too each his own, I guess...

The why are you chuckling if you understand each to his own? I didn't last more than a month in TERA but in my opinion i will take Tera combat over GW2 any day.

And no i won't chuckle to make you feel as if your opinion is worthless.

Teras combat is pretty damn good if you ask me. The only hiccup I had with it was the lack of mobility because of the rooting in place, I understand many liked it but I didn't. Still I would say that in core mechanics its better combat than any mmo Ive played because it has tons of potential. With that said, the overall combat experience is better in GW2 for me. From the AI and dificulty to the lack of trinity and magic the gathering type of skill selection. 

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

it's not just you OP, i also cannot get past level 40. it was fun for the first 2 weeks but somehow this game loses a lot of steam really fast.

the biggest let down for me is the WvW. total zerg fest that meas absolutely nothing as it get reset every week. you are not fighting other factions as all enemies or friends look the same. There is almost nothing you can do alone so you pretty much have to follow the zerg. Repair is expencive and so are all the siege weappons. Unless you are a level 80 you are pretty much cannon fodder.

What's all this WvWvW bashing, ofc its a frikkin zerg fest its a FRIKKIN WAR, how would it be any diifferent from USA and it's allied invaded Iraq?

what did you expect all three servers standing in a long row so you can fight 1v1?

Why don't you just play SPVP if you are looking for that leet 5v5 pvp fights.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

it's not just you OP, i also cannot get past level 40. it was fun for the first 2 weeks but somehow this game loses a lot of steam really fast.

the biggest let down for me is the WvW. total zerg fest that meas absolutely nothing as it get reset every week. you are not fighting other factions as all enemies or friends look the same. There is almost nothing you can do alone so you pretty much have to follow the zerg. Repair is expencive and so are all the siege weappons. Unless you are a level 80 you are pretty much cannon fodder.

What's all this WvWvW bashing, ofc its a frikkin zerg fest its a FRIKKIN WAR, how would it be any diifferent from USA and it's allied invaded Iraq?

what did you expect all three servers standing in a long row so you can fight 1v1?

Why don't you just play SPVP if you are looking for that leet 5v5 pvp fights.

I have wondered the same thing while playing WvWvW about people saying its a zergfest. Like you said, its war, I wouldn't imagine any other way of ti being, in game or in real life. How many times have you read of wars and taking "the hill"? They didn't do it by gently dropping butterflies on the enemy. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    hmm, i havent really felt like that so far. Yes alot of events have same kind of requirements, but so far that hasnt even annoyed me a bit.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Each time I read "better combat in Tera", I can't help chuckling... most skills that root you, only one weapon per class, oh yeah, awesome.

The why are you chuckling if you understand each to his own? I didn't last more than a month in TERA but in my opinion i will take Tera combat over GW2 any day.

Teras combat is pretty damn good if you ask me. The only hiccup I had with it was the lack of mobility because of the rooting in place, I understand many liked it but I didn't. Still I would say that in core mechanics its better combat than any mmo Ive played because it has tons of potential. With that said, the overall combat experience is better in GW2 for me. From the AI and dificulty to the lack of trinity and magic the gathering type of skill selection. 

I prefer Tera combat much more, as well.   Just felt much more visceral.

[Removed]

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Just a thought maybe the game just isn't for you. Not every game appeals to everyone. I for one didn't like GW2 not that it's a bad game or anything. I just didn't enjoy playing it. You my friend maybe in the same boat.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by grimal

And just block that guy above.  He's a blatant GW2 elitest.  Surprised he doesn't charge readers for the priveledge of his company.

edit: removed

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by grimal

[Removed]

Kind of a personal attack imho. I thought the idea was to discuss the topic, not the people. /shrug

You're right.  I edited my post in hindsight.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by mikeoffy I bought the game about 2 weeks ago. I never played beta or Guild wars so I was totally new to this game. I first thought when i logged into the game and started playing that this is everything I was ever looking for and its free. Then I hit level 11 or 12 and completed all my tasks in the first area. When I moved to the new area I was disappointed I felt as if its the same thing all over again as the first zone. So I logged out and have just not had any ambition to log in. In fact I started looking something else to play.  What am I missing? Is this really how each zone is the same thing over and over? Maybe i just dont get it or something.  I almost...almost bought Mists of Panderia but just couldnt.   Please help...

its impossible to tell something about GW2 with 12 levels, its too short experience, sPvP, WxWxW, traits, elite skill utility skills, gear and all those fantastic maps, you need to play and enjoy around.
    Some friends went to WoW (panda garbage) and they are enjoying, but give them 3 weeks more and they are coming back cause GW2 its different and best of all haves no fee.
  • shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Digna

I am not sure if this is a legit poster or a troll given the low post count but on the assumption that it's legit:

Each zone leads to several other zones. In each zone you will have  'hearts' (local quests) to do and most can be completed in more than way. Some ways are very benign  - go collect scraps for the war effort and some are very martial - go kill for revenge. Hearts can be done 1 time per character

In addition to the hearts there are are Dynamic Events (DEs). These trigger by some other event/course of action (frequently talking to an NPC with an orange globe looking thing over his/her head will start one that often leads to another and so on). DEs can be p repeated as often as they pop.

This is the process - New zone, new hearts. Do DE's. Once you hit the level 70 - 80 Orrian zones there are no more hearts. Just vast open wastelands of undead. DEs pop but no hard and fast heart/quests. (There are normal quests  zones that have hearts 60-65, 65-70, 70-80 etc). The storyline quests push you toward the Orrian sections.

The storyline is 'your' personal story quest which you can do or you can skill. Some of the storylines are pretty good, some are more bland.

Then you have sPvP and WvW PvP. As the OP was talking PvE, that is another story for another day.

What is there to troll with in this post? Hes just wondering what hes missing, why does everyone with a low post count have to be a troll? We all had to start somewhere. 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by mikeoffy
    I came from playing Tera and I feel like I am just mashing the same 3 buttons over again. That could be why I am feeling this way? I just cant put my finger on it.

I also came over to GW2 from Tera. I *much* prefer Tera's combat system (and its armor and weapons).  I played GW2 to level 60 (warrior) and finally had enough. I've gone back to the land of the Panda, and I'm much happier.  I just happen to be one of those who doesn't enjoy what GW2 has to offer.  Many others obviously do. To each their own. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    I came from playing Tera and I feel like I am just mashing the same 3 buttons over again. That could be why I am feeling this way? I just cant put my finger on it.

I also came over to GW2 from Tera. I *much* prefer Tera's combat system (and its armor and weapons).  I played GW2 to level 60 (warrior) and finally had enough. I've gone back to the land of the Panda, and I'm much happier.  I just happen to be one of those who doesn't enjoy what GW2 has to offer.  Many others obviously do. To each their own. 

Count me in as pro-TERA-combat. People may have gone off about certain features of the combat but the proof was in the pudding. How it played against other players, how it played going against bosses, how it played AND looked while having many people on screen. You could still tell what the heck was going on. GW2...not so much. Clusterfuck, like I said in one of my very first feedback posts about GW2, back in April I think.

Not to mention that TERA's graphics looked crisp, clean and made for amazing screenshots. GW2 on the other hand looks dirty, muddy, hazy in-game and even worse in screenshots. Even after tweaking the settings. *sigh*

Anyways, I'm still playing GW2 because...err...I enjoy the exploration very much (easter eggs). I enjoy certain skills and effects (mesmer is so unique). I like talking to NPCs and having it trigger something. I enjoy the art direction very much. I enjoy the underwater content (I have a thing for diving...). I enjoy that there's no barrier to try the game later down the road in case I stopped playing. More MMOs should have no (re-) entry barrier.

Crap, I went off on a rant. Moving along.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I bought the game about 2 weeks ago. I never played beta or Guild wars so I was totally new to this game.

I first thought when i logged into the game and started playing that this is everything I was ever looking for and its free. Then I hit level 11 or 12 and completed all my tasks in the first area. When I moved to the new area I was disappointed I felt as if its the same thing all over again as the first zone. So I logged out and have just not had any ambition to log in. In fact I started looking something else to play. 

What am I missing? Is this really how each zone is the same thing over and over? Maybe i just dont get it or something. 

I almost...almost bought Mists of Panderia but just couldnt.

Please help...

[mod edit]

You're not missing anything.  I clocked over 100 hours trying to figure out the same thing...even took advice on these forums and tried different classes...the game feels very "Eastern produced" to me.  The zones dont change much except for weather and mobs, all the harder mobs are called "Veteran (horse, centaur, spider)"...the atmosphere (my opinion only) feels very eastern as well...not as far as culturally, but just as in what I'd expect from an eastern made game. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Have you tried using other weapons and other skills?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by bcbully

2 or 3 skills for 90% of the weapons in GW2... The other 10% have 5.

Pretty dependent on the class you're playing...like elementalist have x4 that amount then x5 by 5 more with the conjured weapons...

Engineer has all sorts of 5 sets.

A ranger with their pets has x4 per pet, unless you only count the F2 you can use on demand. You can then multiply that by number of pets, or maybe unique pets - since the various families share 3 of the same skills. The one family that shares all of the same is the pig, and that special F2 leads to the discovery of another item which literally multiplies this by a huge amount! These items can have 1-3 additional skills when picked up - that I have seen.

To examine some classes, a Ranger has 25 skills (5 with 5)  to 14 (3 w/ 2 & 2 w/ 4) skills. %s are way off. Gaurdian has 25 skills (5 with 5) to 15 (3 w/ 3 & 2 w/ 3). Plus Guardians get 2 tomes = 10 more (2x5).

So your numbers aren't accurate at all :)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

not sure exactly what you mean by exactly the same. It's mostly and exploration/gathering/events PVE experience. There's only so many things that any Devs can do with the five D's.

Deliver
    Defend
    Drop
    Destroy
    Discover

Everything else that makes a game is simply a ui change. Except for the events of course because at higher levels they become meta-events, more complex fewer timers dependent on players involvement and NPC's actions.

most people like my husband found it difficult to get used to the new combat style. He actually still stands there without dodging sometimes and expects to live.

in this game you must dodge, you must use your heal, and you must use the abilities that allow you to move per weaponset.

it improves your survival if you learn to switch weapons/foci/kits mid combat but it's not necessary.

I'm not sure exactly what you're having an issue with but more detail would help us explore it.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by bcbully

2 or 3 skills for 90% of the weapons in GW2... The other 10% have 5.

Pretty dependent on the class you're playing...like elementalist have x4 that amount then x5 by 5 more with the conjured weapons...

Engineer has all sorts of 5 sets.

A ranger with their pets has x4 per pet, unless you only count the F2 you can use on demand. You can then multiply that by number of pets, or maybe unique pets - since the various families share 3 of the same skills. The one family that shares all of the same is the pig, and that special F2 leads to the discovery of another item which literally multiplies this by a huge amount! These items can have 1-3 additional skills when picked up - that I have seen.

To examine some classes, a Ranger has 25 skills (5 with 5)  to 14 (3 w/ 2 & 2 w/ 4) skills. %s are way off. Gaurdian has 25 skills (5 with 5) to 15 (3 w/ 3 & 2 w/ 3). Plus Guardians get 2 tomes = 10 more (2x5).

So your numbers aren't accurate at all :)

love my engineer because of the choices of skills via kits and combining them into an arsenal. It's awesome what i can do with a chem gun, bomb kit and bandage kit combined with the supply drop. :) lotsa choices actually. People are thinking that we should have access to every ability at all times, when i played that age old system on WoW only three or four abilities were useful to begin with so it's really not necessary to have twenty buttons when you use only 4. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Have you tried using other weapons and other skills?

I object. You are asking leading questions. ;)

Trying a different class might also be added.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Quedo

i hear you OP..... couldnt get past level 12 myself....

What makes me laugh is all the chat of next gen MMO.

Errrm nope, same old stuff i was doing 10 years ago but dressed better.

Oh and one more thing , helping farmers do all  there lame shit is a dull as is sounds.

I really dont get  what all the fuss is about

same feelings.

i managed to lvl until 55, but that was the end. nothing pulls me to log in 3 weeks now.

back to WoW for me, until something new comes up again.

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I understand where the OP is coming from.  I had a similar feeling but what I did was after I leveled out of a certain map, I went to another races map zone.  In doing so it helped to keep everything fresh and alive with the different characters and envoirments.   I bounced around a ton during my lvling to 80 but honestly after awhile it didnt even feel like leveling and I was just enjoying the game.

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well search in the system and deactivate the map signals about hearts vistas etc, and start walking in the map and pay attention to everything, it will get you about a month to finish one area and you will be around 25lvl ...

but from the games you play, just hit "B" and choose an area in WvWvW and go there and burn your soul, at en endless war.

also the fact that you are so low lvl means that you havent unlocked all your utilities, also you havent visited any dungeon, and btw i would like to understand those who miss the holy trinity and they say about mass dps in dungeons, they must have spend lot of silvers in repairs cause if you play right and try to understand everytime the mechanic (and its not easy to get it) you will see that creating dungeons based on holy trinity is just lack of insipiration.  in GW2 you dont have to w8 for heal from the healer or the tank to get aggro, you have to care for the next attack to dodge-heal, you have to run to raise the downed guy next to you, you have to make a position plan, you have to use controls and conditions, etc staf which the majority of dps guys hate ...

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I bought the game about 2 weeks ago. I never played beta or Guild wars so I was totally new to this game.

I first thought when i logged into the game and started playing that this is everything I was ever looking for and its free. Then I hit level 11 or 12 and completed all my tasks in the first area. When I moved to the new area I was disappointed I felt as if its the same thing all over again as the first zone. So I logged out and have just not had any ambition to log in. In fact I started looking something else to play. 

What am I missing? Is this really how each zone is the same thing over and over? Maybe i just dont get it or something. 

I almost...almost bought Mists of Panderia but just couldnt.

Please help...

Strange, did the same as you but never experienced even remotely any related problem.

However for sure have purchased MOP which I'm happy to play. But as soon as I will need break I will be back to Gw2.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Mannish

I actually had more fun playing TERA then GW2. At least TERA has great combat and a large seamless world. To bad the quest were not better or I would still probaly be playing.

Can i ask what you do play?

I play Aion and Lineage 2.

Aion?? seriously?? Eew...

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Scripture1

I actually had more fun playing TERA then GW2. At least TERA has great combat and a large seamless world. To bad the quest were not better or I would still probaly be playing.

Tried it at launch and did not like it but afther it went free to play with 3.0 I tried it again and been playing ever since. It has come along way since release.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Scripture1

Tried it at launch and did not like it but afther it went free to play with 3.0 I tried it again and been playing ever since. It has come along way since release.

Man I just openned "add/remove software" last month and saw it and deleted it. I played from launch, liked it, got bored and quit. I heard it got a little better but they lost me long ago. I'm glad some people still like it, and f2p should have been from day 1 imo lol