Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] The Secret World: The New Game Director Speaks

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We had the opportunity to catch up with Funcom's Joel Bylos after his recent State of the Game letter for The Secret World was released. He's got a lot to say about the game, the team's vision and much more. Read on!

MMORPG.com: How do you think TSW's direction will change under your tutelage? An example I can think of is how Craig Morrison took over Conan for Gaute Gaudager, the world of Hyboria's direction changed a lot compared to where the game was headed beforehand.  I know the work of making and maintaining a live game is a team project, but what are your ideas for enhancing TSW going forward?

Joel Bylos: I think it is inevitable that some of my personality will creep a bit more into the game, but honestly the content in TSW really already follows the direction that Ragnar, Martin and I set down for it. I wrote many of the missions in the game myself, so the game already has quite a bit of the "Joel" touch in it.

Ragnar is still the Creative Director and I am completely comfortable with the direction that he has set down for the coming months. Where I will need to do a little more work is actually the areas where Ragnar has less of a focus - PvP and Systems. I think you'll see more of my touch in some of the larger features we are working on in those areas - but not for a while.

Read more of our exclusive interview, The Secret World: The New Game Director Speaks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Need a trial, Joel.  Need a free trial.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by tman5
    Need a trial, Joel.  Need a free trial.

There already is and has been for awhile.  Go to the website sometime.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    [mod edit]

You should really look at yourself and wonder why you post comment slike that, sad for you.

TSW is an awesome game, dam solid with many unique and oroginal features.  Many more to come aswell.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

What! they aren't curing cancer or stopping world hunger?! you guys are aiming way too low...

On to the topic at hand now. I like his positive outlook and that they are looking at many things, I appreciate that he's very actively giving information in a time were I believe they need to be out there comforting their playerbase that everything is ok.

I think the reticle aiming thing is a mess though. If you plan on adding a half assed version of something that your lead programmer did in their free time I would not add it at all. At the very least disable it in pvp, Im not sure I agree with how much importance they give to the difference between aim vs target selection combat.

Its also interesting that so many people say there is no problems with animations, yet they are working on overhauling apparently all the animations. That solves that debate.

Ill look foward to checking out the stream tomorrow. Still the biggest dissapointment for me is that its not f2p and they are not looking at making it f2p anytime soon. But I still have hope that one day they will change their business model.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Ontopic of the article, looks good so far, I hope they'll be able to keep coming up with new content and features and that they'll be able to maintain the great, unique atmosphere the TSW world breathes.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]
    Ontopic of the article, looks good so far, I hope they'll be able to keep coming up with new content and features and that they'll be able to maintain the great, unique atmosphere the TSW world breathes.

Have we seen 4 yet? No we havent. All we know is that they will have another aux weapon. Nothing else. Unless you count an RP stage as content which it is not.

Originally posted by bluefunk
    [mod edit]

You should really look at yourself and wonder why you post comment slike that, sad for you.

TSW is an awesome game, dam solid with many unique and oroginal features.  Many more to come aswell.

Tell me whats unique? Nothing its all be done before.

Originally posted by Kuppa

Its also interesting that so many people say there is no problems with animations, yet they are working on overhauling apparently all the animations. That solves that debate. Ill look foward to checking out the stream tomorrow. Still the biggest dissapointment for me is that its not f2p and they are not looking at making it f2p anytime soon. But I still have hope that one day they will change their business model.

I think what most people mean is that the animation is no problem to them. For me, it was acceptable and didn't hinder my gameplay experience. It was better than a LotrO, but I also admit that the feel of it wasn't as smooth and fitting like a glove like AoC's and WoW's combat animation felt to me.

Personally, I think all MMO's should have some F2P/P2P mixed model where you can switch between what you want or need in a time period. Sort of an a la carte thing, maybe combined with a system like in LotrO or EVE where you can sort of pay off part of the fee with ingame activities.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Have we seen 4 yet? No we havent.

- New auxillery weapon (chain saw)

- Combat feature (combat reticle)

- First RAID (New York)

- New non-combat RP addition for Roleplay community (club in London)

- New investigation missions

Seems like the largest update so far to me.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Have we seen 4 yet? No we havent. All we know is that they will have another aux weapon. Nothing else. Unless you count an RP stage as content which it is not.

Chainsaw

Raid

Theatre

More missions

Few other bits and peices.

Looks good to me, but then I am a well rounded and positive human being.

How long before Joel either is fired or flees the sinking ship?

[mod edit]

Shrug. We know what update 4 will have, you're just acting wilfully ignorant: new auxiliary weapon, raid in NY city, RP theatre, reticule combat, which is more than the 2 Investigation Missions you were talking about.

Funny though, it's almost as if you're more pleased with seeing TSW have less content than that it has content and features added upon more and more, which is kinda ironic for someone who has a lifetime sub.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Have we seen 4 yet? No we havent.

- New auxillery weapon (chain saw) Ok 1 quest there

- Combat feature (combat reticle) Not content in fact worthless and silly

- First RAID (New York) Content only for the 10% that play endgame

- New non-combat RP addition for Roleplay community (club in London) Not content

- New investigation missions Unknown number in fact they said nothing on the missions

Seems like the largest update so far to me.

[mod edit]

Considering this is one of the monthly updates (as in not waiting 3 or 4 months for content) it's more than worth a monthly sub fee for updates like that. There's no grasping at straws about it, at this rate they're only second to Rift.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Shrug. We know what update 4 will have, you're just acting wilfully ignorant: new auxiliary weapon, raid in NY city, RP theatre, reticule combat, which is more than the 2 Investigation Missions you were talking about.

Funny though, it's almost as if you're more pleased with seeing TSW have less content than that it has content and features added upon more and more, which is kinda ironic for someone who has a lifetime sub.

Again reticule and a stage isnt content. Weapon? A once done quest to be unrepeatable. And where did they state two missions? Raid are you kidding? Raids are only for the 10% that do it, hardly content for everyone.  Lets go back to the reticule what reason do we even need it? Why did they waste their time with this? No wonder they will be bought out soon by Nexon

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Fantastic stuff. I love this game, best MMO out there ATM.

Can only be topped by World of Darkness in a couple of years, if ever

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

"and this means that the work we do every day should be fun. If we are having fun, if we are enjoying our work, then that will come across in the things we create for our players."

This is the same philosophy I use with my band...it works wonders because our crowd is never dissapointed....good to hear you believe in this philosophy...works to a tee.

Can't wait for new content and the Theatre idea is incredible...didn't think it would be as in-depth as Joel explained it.  I think I might just stop by the theatre to see what's up....should be VERY interesting and Im not an RP'er at all. 

The raid will definitely be fun.  I don't even need to see it...Funcom might have a bad rep for some things, but dungeons are not one of them.

Again reticule and a stage isnt content.

Agreed. But it's gonna make me want to play even more if done right.

Weapon? A once done quest to be unrepeatable.

But new skills to put AP into. Almost like adding a new class in other games.

And where did they state two missions?

"It also adds a new auxiliary weapon and new missions, as well as The Albion theatre in London where players can put on theatrical plays for other players."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-02-the-secret-world-post-mortem-no-its-not-going-free-to-play-any-time-soon

Raid are you kidding? Raids are only for the 10% that do it, hardly content for everyone.  

Right, which is why the theatre is there for everyone else. It caters to RPers, endgame players, and levelers with the chainsaw.

Lets go back to the reticule what reason do we even need it? Why did they waste their time with this? No wonder they will be bought out soon by Nexon

Because it was actually in the game at a certain point early in beta and was most likely planned from the start, it just needed to be reworked before going live.

Was just about to say I'm not smoking Dope but talking to....

Thank you Mr Moderator :)

Originally posted by Draron

Hey Draron, why are you even reponding to this person? Check his post history, each and every 82 posts have the clear agenda to bash TSW by all means. The only reasonable thing to do: GO REPORT THE TROLL POSTS and let´s make sure he gets banned before he spills more lies and idiotic BS.  Next time he shows up we´ll recognize him immediately.

Simply put him on ignore and don´t eat the troll bait

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Well done.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

What! they aren't curing cancer or stopping world hunger?! you guys are aiming way too low...

I dunno about you, but I set my expectations pretty high and I like how Funcom is handling the game.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Dunno how that was "much to say". He barely said anything in all those lines of text. Well, spin it baby, spin!
    Originally posted by Rawiz
    Dunno how that was "much to say". He barely said anything in all those lines of text. Well, spin it baby, spin!

well I expect more details in the livestream tomorrow. Can´t wait to see the reticle combat thingy, sounds fun

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Awesome news. Can't wait!

Hodor!

• KaazKaaz Member Posts: 18
    /excited ^^
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Draron

I dunno about you, but I set my expectations pretty high and I like how Funcom is handling the game.

Its supposed to be a joke, re-read maybe? or maybe I should leave comedy altogether...