Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have the combat animations been updated yet?

I played TSW during beta and while I liked it, I just couldn't get in to it because of the funky combat animations.

Have they been updated to something more ''solid'' or is it still the same?

Comments

• grnioniogrnionio Member Posts: 5
    My opinion is that TSW is generally way improved than the BETA. I can recall, that during the BETA weekends, at some point i regretted my pre-order. The final product though, for me, delivered. I think that you'll find combat animations improved as well. You can always check out a BETA and final product Youtube videos to compare... :d
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    The individual animations have were much improved by the end of beta however there is still no flow between animations and no feeling of weight to them.
  • jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    No they did not. They added a couple to pistol that was it. I think they fired the animation team
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

They effects look much better from what I could tell.  They were changed (I noticed hammer effects looking better) shortly after release.

While I did notice a difference I honestly have no idea what people are talking about when they say the combat animations were funky.  Maybe for guns...but I don't use them enough to notice it much.  The melee weapons are like virtually every other action type game I've ever played.

Originally posted by Mardukk

They effects look much better from what I could tell.  They were changed (I noticed hammer effects looking better) shortly after release.

While I did notice a difference I honestly have no idea what people are talking about when they say the combat animations were funky.  Maybe for guns...but I don't use them enough to notice it much.  The melee weapons are like virtually every other action type game I've ever played.

They never updated hammer visual effects only the sound

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Try the free trial and see for yourself.

In my opinion, the combat animations are good and doesnt need more work. I love the way I can move around and fight at the same time

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I think it's more of a personal aesthetic look than anything else. I don't mind either TSW or GW2 sort of weightless feel, since it's the price you pay for having constant combat movement. I do play almost exclusively melee in both TSW and GW2, so there may be inconsistencies in the animation of different weapons.

If you're looking for animations that have the feel of impact, you won't find it in either game I mentioned above. One of the best impact feel and possibly one of the best combat system ever made for mmorpgs (imo obviously) was that of Tera. TSW and GW2 are flashy (GW2 annoyingly so), but you probably wouldnt need to change animations if you changed the swords with pillows.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I don't understand why anyone would want to mess with perfection!

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Mardukk

it was one of my biggest issues during beta testing but it really comes down to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

some people find this more noticeable than others..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This was always stange to me... I didn't see the animation any better or worse than the other mmos I've played. It was something I didn't notice. I think it's an art thiing some people love/don't mind/hate all art no matter the form.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

When I'm in combat, I'm not looking at my character to see if it looks good while fighting, lol.

But to answer the OP's question, combat animations and character creation were much improved during the last week of beta and have been tweaked a lot since launch. As someone already suggested, you might want to try the free trial.

Originally posted by Jaedor

When I'm in combat, I'm not looking at my character to see if it looks good while fighting, lol.

But to answer the OP's question, combat animations and character creation were much improved during the last week of beta and have been tweaked a lot since launch. As someone already suggested, you might want to try the free trial.

Obviously you never played beta, as I said the only changes were a couple of pistol animations and some different sound effects for hammer. They have yet to improve upon any animations as promised.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The animations are better than that open beta client.

They also improved them upon the closed beta / release.

I wouldn't say they were wow / gw2 quality, but I wouldn't say they were bad either.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Im not even playing tsw. I have no agenda to convert people.

I remember the bad animations in the open beta, which were worse than the closed beta ones. The game launched with the better cb anims.. later they did a lot of work on pistols and hammer and a few tweak to the other weapons.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Friend of mine has the life sub option. He stated that the animations have not really changed since beta, there have been very few improvements in that part of the game. I would wait for a trial or f2p client before picking this up. Animations usually don't get changed after a games release unless the company really messed up.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    theres a new upcoming update with a major overhaul on combat (new combat system). THeres an official post here on the forums and friday i think theres a livestream here with the devs

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    theres a new upcoming update with a major overhaul on combat (new combat system). THeres an official post here on the forums and friday i think theres a livestream here with the devs

When posting news of "official" stuff, it's also good policy to include a link that would both confirm and include added details. Are you talking about:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/news/read/25738/The-Secret-World-Brand-New-Combat-Feature-to-be-Revealed.html

It could be just a new auxiliary weapon. Not to mention that brand new does not mean revamp of the current nor overhaul.

Edit: It's not an auxiliary weapon after all.

Originally posted by Xasapis

When posting news of "official" stuff, it's also good policy to include a link that would both confirm and include added details. Are you talking about:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/news/read/25738/The-Secret-World-Brand-New-Combat-Feature-to-be-Revealed.html

It could be just a new auxiliary weapon. Not to mention that brand new does not mean revamp of the current nor overhaul.

No its reticule combat which is just a silly idea thats worthless

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69

This.  Not sure what's with all this "secrecy" when the dev announces it on twitter.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    Originally posted by achesoma

This.  Not sure what's with all this "secrecy" when the dev announces it on twitter.

Whats worse is they will claim they are innovative when TERA did it before

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by Jaedor When I'm in combat, I'm not looking at my character to see if it looks good while fighting, lol. But to answer the OP's question, combat animations and character creation were much improved during the last week of beta and have been tweaked a lot since launch. As someone already suggested, you might want to try the free trial.
    Obviously you never played beta, as I said the only changes were a couple of pistol animations and some different sound effects for hammer. They have yet to improve upon any animations as promised.

I did indeed play the beta - both closed and BWEs.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    TSW is a innovative game. Just not on this issue, Alot of people are still iffy about adding this to the game. im gonna wait till friday to make my judgement before i say anything.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Jaedor

Originally posted by Jaedor When I'm in combat, I'm not looking at my character to see if it looks good while fighting, lol. But to answer the OP's question, combat animations and character creation were much improved during the last week of beta and have been tweaked a lot since launch. As someone already suggested, you might want to try the free trial.

I did indeed play the beta - both closed and BWEs.

Then you know they have not done animation updates. In fact the State of game address says they are still working on that (they are completely overhauling it but I guess it will be awhile)

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    a ton got changed and improved, everything pistol and AR, jumping, dodging, upper body movements, mob impacts, some spell castings. All those differences I noticed on release. And they are constantly changing stuff like every MMO
  • KaazKaaz Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    a ton got changed and improved, everything pistol and AR, jumping, dodging, upper body movements, mob impacts, some spell castings. All those differences I noticed on release. And they are constantly changing stuff like every MMO

this. from the beta weekends to live (and the current build) animations and effects have been improved.

Generally small little tweaks every now and again but they are improving and will continue to improve, their current efforts are (iirc from the livestream) focused on making you able to step on two levels at once with your feet, currently its the usual hovering foot syndrome, and they are trying to improve the connection between animations so they feel better as you fight, if you have a look at the livestream you can see some effects and animations from the curent build (granted its limited to what weapons they use) and you'll hear some of the stuff they are doing with animations as the game develops.