Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO console version possible

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/358700/elder-scrolls-online-studio-open-minded-on-console-edition/

The game's director Matt Firor appeared to suggest that his studio wants to stay focused on the PC edition before making a final decision on console editions.

"There are a lot of rumours swirling about the next-gen coming back together with PCs," he said in an interview with GamesIndustry International.

"It seems like things are going back to a more standard platform," he said.

"That being said, we haven't thought about [console versions] heavily right now. The worst thing you can do is worry about new platforms while in development.

"We want to do what we're doing right now and then look around for further opportunities. Certainly we're open to new opportunities, and we're going to be looking into new territories beyond North America and Europe."

Elsewhere in the interview, Firor suggested that the industry will be producing more console MMOs in the future.

Comments

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

They had better be looking into ways to bring the game to consoles... with the vast majority of The Elder Scrolls fanbase being console players since Oblivion and Skyrim, and the hardcore PC fanbase being largely in it for the modding (which TES:O will lack completely), they're going to need somebody to play the game beyond the roaming horde of MMO vagrants perpetually jumping from one new release to the next every few months.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• MercArcherMercArcher Member Posts: 57

So you're saying I'm going to have to type this now?

LFM xxxxxxxxxx PC Only PST.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by MercArcher

if you need to type LFM/LFR then better not bother with TESO at all

Originally posted by Galadourn

What?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    At least it'll be a PC port to console and not the other way around.  Any PC game that's a port from console always turns out badly.  FFXI did pretty good :)

What?

What I mean to say is that if TESO is yet another WoW clone it will be a doomed game.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I'm at the stage now where I believe that in the best interest of the genre, developers need to find ways to merge the 2 groups. With rising cost of developing mmos, the shutting down of more and more older mmos and the introduction of new consoles on the horizon, the time is now.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

How many developers talk about console versions as it apples to MMO's?  Very, VERY few.

How many of those few actually follow through on a console version?  Almost none.

There is no chance that TESO will be on a console.

What?

What I mean to say is that if TESO is yet another WoW clone it will be a doomed game.

They have already said there will be instances and raids. So if thats what makes it a wowclone for you then you're out of luck.

What?

They have already said there will be instances and raids. So if thats what makes it a wowclone for you then you're out of luck.

I'm afraid that if they go down the same ole path of game content, it's Zenimax that will be out of luck, Oh well, we'll see in a year I guess.

What?

I'm afraid that if they go down the same ole path of game content, it's Zenimax that will be out of luck, Oh well, we'll see in a year I guess.

And if they didn't include instances and raids no one would buy it.

What?

oh c'mon we have about 10 AAA game titles that offer exactly the same thing, what TESO had going for it was the 'open world/sandox' feel from the single player games. If they deviate from that for an MMO they're in for some trouble probably.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DAS1337

How many developers talk about console versions as it apples to MMO's?  Very, VERY few.

How many of those few actually follow through on a console version?  Almost none.

Funcom is the only company i can remember talking about it but not delivering (age of conan)

SquareEnix did FFXI mmo on the PS2 first, then brought it over to the PC

SOE has said that all of their future games will have crossplatform components

- Everquest Adventures Online, PS2 only mmo

- Free Realms was PC first, then PS3 later

- DCUO, had a simultaneous launch for PC / PS3 in 2011

Jeff Strain, known for Guild Wars, is working on a apocalyptic sandbox mmo for the XBOX 360

http://undeadlabs.com/

ANET has said they are considering bringing GW2 to consoles

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/15/guild-wars-2-console-version-confirmed/

What?

oh c'mon we have about 10 AAA game titles that offer exactly the same thing, what TESO had going for it was the 'open world/sandox' feel from the single player games. If they deviate from that for an MMO they're in for some trouble probably.

I hate to tell you, but the single player TES games are closer to themepark MMOs that they are Sandbox MMOs. They are making the right decision going with a themepark MMO.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Funcom is the only company i can remember talking about it but not delivering (age of conan)

uhh, ff 14 was presented as coming out for ps3 at an E3 and that never happened.  NCsoft had a contract with sony for 3 mmorpgs to be released for it, never happened.   Warhammer devs said they were considering an xbox version way back, never happened.

Yes, they talk about it a lot, but for whatever reason never deliver outside of DC Universe.  That's the closest I've seen to a real MMO on the current gen systems.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by adam_nox

uhh, ff 14 was presented as coming out for ps3 at an E3 and that never happened.  NCsoft had a contract with sony for 3 mmorpgs to be released for it, never happened.   Warhammer devs said they were considering an xbox version way back, never happened.

Yes, they talk about it a lot, but for whatever reason never deliver outside of DC Universe.  That's the closest I've seen to a real MMO on the current gen systems.

Square announced today its expected for next year

http://www.examiner.com/article/final-fantasy-14-for-the-playstation-3-is-still-the-works-says-developer

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I really don't see this happening.  Smoke and mirrors.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Square announced today its expected for next year

http://www.examiner.com/article/final-fantasy-14-for-the-playstation-3-is-still-the-works-says-developer

Yes well please let me know when that materializes lol.  I'd be surprised if it happens before the ps4 release.