Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you had to play one game for the next 5 years, would it be THEME PARK or SANDBOX?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
If you were only allowed to play 1 single MMO for the next 5 years, would you play the best Theme Park in the world or the best SandBox in the world?

Comments

• RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71
    Voted sandbox, but I fear a truly great sandbox is just too good to be true!!
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I voted Sandbox, too.

I can't imagine blasting through the Theme Park to max level in a matter of weeks and having to spend the next 4 years and 11 months playing the same 4-5 Battlegrounds, Arenas, Warzones, or whatever they want to call 'em.

Sandbox has fantastic sustain. It's a shame that AAA funding has never really hit the Sandbox genre as of yet. Here's hoping for ArcheAge and EverQuest Next (Smed did state that they are going virtual world with this one).

• sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181

Themebox or sandpark :)

I think that the combination of the 2 would be the best (if done right)...

• cowheadcowhead Member UncommonPosts: 94
    It would be fun. Sandbox or Themepark are irrelevent. Who cares as long as you enjoy it.
  • SchwaSchwa Member Posts: 29

Didnt vote because you forgot to include:

Doesnt matter as long as it is fun.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

I voted Sandbox, too.

I can't imagine blasting through the Theme Park to max level in a matter of weeks and having to spend the next 4 years and 11 months playing the same 4-5 Battlegrounds, Arenas, Warzones, or whatever they want to call 'em.

Sandbox has fantastic sustain. It's a shame that AAA funding has never really hit the Sandbox genre as of yet. Here's hoping for ArcheAge and EverQuest Next (Smed did state that they are going virtual world with this one).

I wish

Source please?

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Didn't vote. If I had to play one game for 5 years, it would be too much like a second job. :P

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Themebox
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

I voted Sandbox, too.

I wish

Source please?

I did see something stating it would be no zoning... but was a long time ago... and I do not think it was Smedley who said it, it was just something posted about the game.  But I cannot remember 100%.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Too bad that sandbox hasn't been built yet (and likely never will at this rate.)

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Could be a really crappy sandbox game or a really good themepark. Or vice versa.

Sandboxes are not inherently superior, despite what it's cool to say on these forums. Same goes with themeparks. Really, not enough information to make any sort of rational decision.

So I choose pikachu.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Sandbox.  No additional developer provided content required.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

If I were to go with a specific game I could see myself playing for 5 years that is not yet made... but has been mentioned it would be EQ Next.

I played many years on EQ1 and no other game has held me for over a couple of months since then.

Darkfall was the best game I have played since... which is bad when you consider it was never really perfected or near a good state... hopefully DF:UW is much better... regardless I will enjoy the game in early stages.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Kind of a trick question, who's making this sandbox that's worth playing another 5 years? I voted Themepark based on what Sandboxes usually end up actually being.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

How much sand in the sandbox?

I would play an MMO for a long time if it had these features:

1) Darkfall feature set as a base model

-player vendors

-big world

-skill based (with skill caps)

-FFA full loot

-player made boats

-housing

-player cities, villages, hamlets

-No AH

*Things I would add:  local banking, localized resources specific to region, no world chat (only /say /w /shout with chat bubbles), player made maps and compases, roaming guards in high security zones, craftable furniture, tabards, dyes, more harvestable resources, pack mules, farming.

2) Guild Wars 2 gathering + crafting speed + discovery with a little of Vanguard's crafting depth.

All I can think of for now.

Originally posted by Badaboom

-player vendors

-big world

-FFA full loot

-player made boats

-housing

-No AH

*Things I would add:  local banking, localized resources specific to region, no world chat (only /say /w /shout with chat bubbles), player made maps and compases, roaming guards in high security zones, craftable furniture, tabards, dyes, more harvestable resources, pack mules, farming.

2) Guild Wars 2 gathering + crafting speed + discovery with a little of Vanguard's crafting depth.

This sounds good seems like it has a good balance of what I would like... never played Guild Wars2 so I cannot say I agree with that but sounds good to me lol.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Too bad that sandbox hasn't been built yet (and likely never will at this rate.)

That remains to be seen.  Enough of these huge-budget themeparks are not performing anywhere near what investors want, so some companies are growing wary of them.  Sounds like Funcom is out for the forseeable future.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a few other big companies drop out when their next lame themeparks fail to deliver past 30-60 days.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    I miss the options 'a mix of both' and 'none'. I think that theoretically the best possible MMORPG is one that mixes the benefits and advantages of a themepark MMORPG with the benefits of a sandbox MMORPG. That said, I'd hate to limit myself to only ONE MMORPG for 5 years - I mean, it was all good when the release of new MMO's was glacial as it was in the early years of MMO gaming when there isn't that much to choose from anyway. But in these days, I want to play various MMORPG's and certainly not just 1 for 5 whole years.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

-player vendors

-big world

-FFA full loot

-player made boats

-housing

-No AH

I love how people always mention this feature list without adding the ONE feature that would actual make it "work" for the majority of gamers:

-actual functioning / logical "Morality" / Bounty / Justice system.

No sandbox MMO has ever gotten it right, always easy to abuse or far too lenient / easy on the PKs - hell even EvE is trying to "fix" theirs with new expansion but I know they'll still be far, far too lenient on PK's to EVER be able to attract and retain players who don't get off on ganking randoms/noobs for no reason.

There is no honor/valor 99% of the time in FFA PvP - which makes it completely unrealistic (as 99% of people on this planet are not murderous psychpaths with no morals or concepts of justice and what is right/wrong.)

So FFA PvP = "dog eat dog" wild wild west "might as well be set in a maximum security prison" gaming and the VAST, VAST majority will NEVER go for that. Ever.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It doesn't matter to me, as long as it's good.  I've played sandboxes that were more like litterboxes.  I've played theme parks that were more like ghetto parks.  If it's a good game and I can see myself having fun in it, then I'll pick that one.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

So FFA PvP = "dog eat dog" wild wild west "might as well be set in a maximum security prison" gaming and the VAST, VAST majority will NEVER go for that. Ever.

I completely agree with you but I wasn't aiming for the majority.  I was aiming for a game system that would please me and something that could keep me interested in the long haul.

I think Darkfall is a good base model but it is missing some crucial things, which in its current state, equates to nothing more than a large PVP arena.

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221

If you are going to have a poll at least make it valid.   Theme Park or Sandbox... who cares if the game itself is good?

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221

-player vendors

-big world

-FFA full loot

-player made boats

-housing

-No AH

I love how people always mention this feature list without adding the ONE feature that would actual make it "work" for the majority of gamers:

-actual functioning / logical "Morality" / Bounty / Justice system.

No sandbox MMO has ever gotten it right, always easy to abuse or far too lenient / easy on the PKs - hell even EvE is trying to "fix" theirs with new expansion but I know they'll still be far, far too lenient on PK's to EVER be able to attract and retain players who don't get off on ganking randoms/noobs for no reason.

There is no honor/valor 99% of the time in FFA PvP - which makes it completely unrealistic (as 99% of people on this planet are not murderous psychpaths with no morals or concepts of justice and what is right/wrong.)

/boggle

No one mentions it because despite your statement it's probably not what would make it "work" for the majority of players.  If it WAS they would mention it.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I've seeked the perfect PVE centric sandbox for way too long...Ryzom was good but it wasn't great.  I'd have to say I'd like a game that mixes both sandbox and themepark into itself without catering to the PVP crowd or the "new age" gamer crowd either.  That will never happen.....every game nowaday's is an MMO...there are no MMORPG's...just games with MMORPG elements.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Playing one game for 5 years straight is a lot of time. I'd much rather take the sandbox just because it will most assuredly have more discoverable content in it than a themepark. There's really not much of a discussion here other than which one you would rather spend your time with. I like finding stuff out on my own and stumbling upon the enemy base by accident.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

This discussion has been closed.