Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Dimensions Trailer Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most anticipated features coming with the Rift: Storm Legion expansion is the arrival of "dimensions", a portion of Telara that belongs to a player that can be designed with complete freedom. Trion Worlds and the Rift team have released a nifty new video showing off a tiny portion of the possibilities that players will have. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Damn that looks tight. Music is great too.

• saw this yesterday and was pretty impressed. i've seen a few nice housing systems in games, but i think this one is going to to trump them all. we'll see on release i guess.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Looks great. Rift is really shaping up to be the game I was hoping for at launch. I'm glad I kept playing.

Looking forward to this expansion.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Holy Mackerel, what is in the drinking water over at Trion?  I am just fascinated at how this new development house can out-pace and out-program older, well-established companies like Bioware and Cryptic. 

Keep up the good work Trion!
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    It's about getting recognized and they are doing just that. I mean how can you say no to this is you are the slightest bit of an mmorpg fan.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    That's the player housing _community_ asked for.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    i withhold my oooh's and aaaah's until i get to know how it is implimented and what hoops are attached to it. Still it looks like a updated version of City of Heroes basebuilding feature, and that is not a bad place to be.

This have been a good conversation

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

This is the single most impressive thing that has come out of Rift and the first thing that makes me think that Rift may reverse its downward trend.

Throughout its first year and a half, Rift had a tendancy to release half-assed features.  Master Mode dungeons?  Weve seen only 2.  Chronicles?  There is now, what...3?  4 if you count the starter one?.  Planar Attunement?  Very underwhelming and not very creative.  Conquest?  re-used zone, still just a battleground, 3 'factions' arent even in game....Instant Adventures? ...the one thing they have actually fleshed out but probaby the most boring of all the concepts.  And it released in only 3 zones.

But this housing, its not half-assed.  They took what made EQ2 housing awesome and did their spin on it (EQ2 also has some great outdoor areas and ridiculous flexibility to build whatever you can imagine).  If they can come close to the greatness of EQ2 housing, and it sure looks like they did, it is a slam dunk.

But more importantly for the first time they release a fully fleshed out new feature.  And this is also the first time they answered a major customer request (besides more max level content, which was coming anyway), so it gives hope that things like a richer 1-40 game (with more zones), and meaningful open world PvP may be on the way

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Holly crap! That looks impressive, cracking trailer & music too.

Coming from Trion it's sure to be well implemented, can’t wait.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by tawess
    i withhold my oooh's and aaaah's until i get to know how it is implimented and what hoops are attached to it. Still it looks like a updated version of City of Heroes basebuilding feature, and that is not a bad place to be.

While the base building system was good, it's true potential was wasted, and it made for poor housing on an immersion level, being accessed through common portals.  Incentivized base raids were the biggest thing they could have offered but couldn't deliver on. 

It's fine to have sandbox, but if you are alone, it's kind of pointless, that's what instancing does.  Gives us toys and makes us play by ourselves.  I'm not against there being portals, but there should also be a physical presence in the game world, like in DAoC, but not pushed quite so far off to the side.  And it's okay for several players to share the same site in a virtualized sense, but it sucks for everyone to go through the same door.

Having played rift, I know the zones are big and they could have padded them out to make room for building sites without getting in the way of the game itself.   I'm not crapping on what they are doing, I'm just countering a little bit the sentiment that people who want housing want _this_ impelementation. 

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Did you noticed? 0:22 it says: "Create at will"

As soon as I'm back from the weekend I'm preordering it, oh my! oh my! oh my! :D

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

The new housing feature looks really awesome and normally this would make me seriously consider re-subbing to Rift.

However, I still recall how anti-social the community was/is in Rift so I doubt I will actually re-sub. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by tawess

Looks more like a blend of Vanguard's and EverQuest 2's housing.

Which is not suprising, as several ex-SOE employees are working for TRION and were part of the development of this game.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    This looks great, but im i correct that all of it is instanced?  Im pretty sure im going to be reinstalling this game...

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Looks very interesting, Trion continues to amaze me with it's content updates and features.

The only thing they need to do is add better varying races, it's one of the reason a lot of people don't play it, there's a lot of people who don't play MMOs to be a human, no matter what colour it is. 

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Czanrei

The new housing feature looks really awesome and normally this would make me seriously consider re-subbing to Rift.

However, I still recall how anti-social the community was/is in Rift so I doubt I will actually re-sub. 

[mod edit]  RIFT has one of the best communities a game can have. I always find myself talking to complete strangers. Maybe it's YOU that's anti-social. You can't just sit around and always expect people to talk to you. 

[mod edit]  

Smile

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Czanrei

I don't believe you've ever played RIFT if you're actually claiming the community is anti-social. RIFT has one of the best communities a game can have. I always find myself talking to complete strangers. Maybe it's YOU that's anti-social. You can't just sit around and always expect people to talk to you. 

You have to contribute too. Ever think about that? Maybe you should next time you claim a game like RIFT is anti-social when it's community is booming with social butterflies.

You are a wonderful ambassador for the rift community.....

If you try to talk during an invasion or a rift, you usually get ignored.  If you try to talk at the start of a dungeon run, you usually get ignored.  Those of us that have played EQ know that this certainly wasnt always the case.

A lot of this is due to the game mechanics of extreme button mashing every gcd (and sometimes inbetween), but its more due to the fact that people don't want to pause 6 seconds inbetween kills to type something.  

This isnt a Rift specific things, the voice chat era has killed socialization outside of voice chat groups.  people cant be bothered to type anymore.  And it absolutely sucks for social people that cant use voice chat (family/living reasons, deaf) or dont like using it (like to listen to music while playing for example) or people that arent in a voice chat community.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    See what happens when a team actually has a passion for a game? It accomplishes a lot. I really wish more companies did this instead of making profit their priority. If you focus on making a good game first, your far more likely to yeild more money and a product more people will enjoy or at the very least show great respect for.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

As usual, I have to give massive props to Trion for stepping up the game. I've always felt they were a top notch company, even when I disagree with the direction they take sometimes.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    See what happens when a team actually has a passion for a game? It accomplishes a lot. I really wish more companies did this instead of making profit their priority. If you focus on making a good game first, your far more likely to yeild more money and a product more people will enjoy or at the very least show great respect for.

It's basically this, even if Rift fell short for me in the beginning and so many others, we still respect Trion a lot, the game didn't really play like I wanted it to and I'd say it somewhat flopped by losing a lot of it's players...however, more than a year later, because a company wasn't in it just for a quick profit this game is probably going to turn around and start gaining players, something that is very rare in the MMO market.

Heck, i'm definitely going to give storm legion a shot.

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Looking forward to SL, but maybe not as excited about Dimensions as I should be? Dunno. Help me out. Don't get it.....
  • iceashiceash Member Posts: 21

The player housing for me at least is something i am looking forward to, (if i can find the time amongst all the other things i do ingame) I know it's instanced but it allows me another way to own a corner of rift that is just mine, which when i'm happy with i can then invite ppl to see my creation.

The anti-social comment made earlier i can't say i have really come accross this, yes you do have some truly moronic ppl (we have one at the moment that i'm sure is going for the highest number of ignore's on a server) but i have seen this in what ever mmo i have played there are also very friendly ppl as well, look for a social guild lot's of ppl willing to spend their time helping other's.

With the features that are constantly being introduced this is a game that has it's hooks in me, i might find i will go and see the next best thing every now and again but i just find i keep going back after a short while.

• dtportnoy69dtportnoy69 Member Posts: 28
    I dont play rift much anymore due to time constraints but I still subscribed for the year because they are so tight in development and have done so much thus far. By subbing I feel like ive contributed to something great and this expansion just reaffirms why I do. GG. Yeah its not sandbox but its my fav non sandbox game. (looking forward to other sandbox games coming out to fit that niche).
  • Azuri21Azuri21 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Trion still setting the bar and continue to put the large devolpers to shame. So far no regrets making this my first MMORPG of choice, pre-order complete.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Its like the Sims, I showed my Wife this video, needless to say shes looking closely at Rift again lol