Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE server for darkfall UW?

Comments

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by cyrician

Hello all I played the original darkfall almost a year , apart from the horrendous sub fee I found the community to b brilliant . After finding some like minded players I learnt the secret to not being tanked every 2 seconds . Darkfall was. Huge place leave the starter towns and live in the wild . 

As far a pve server I disagree it would work and some people would enjoy it and I think it would open up a huge player base but ....

The game wouldn't be darkfall anymore and there is something that makes you play harder with the thought that someone could kill you any moment and trust me I remember having my head phones on hiding in the bushes listening to foot steps hoping the ganker wouldn't find me ... Hehe

If they have pve server that will not effect pvp server in any way it's totaly different game and could not effect pvp in any way, just keep playing on pvp server and don't even think that pve server is existing.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I wonder how many of these people who are pro-PvE server never even played the game, or played and still dont understand this. The game does not consist of everyone in the game just running around freely killing eachother with no consequence. There IS an alignment system in place.

As long as youre on the same side (ie: human, dwarf, and elf) killing someone else of the same alignment results iny ou losing alignment and IIRC after like 2 kills you go red. Going red means you can no longer enter the "good" (human/dawrf/elf) cities else the towers attack you. The only time there is no penalty to alignment is if you kill an opposing faction or a clan you are at war with.

With this in mind, youre generally somewhat safe in your own racial areas as long as your not currently at war with another clan. If youre in a clan thats at war with someone else, you should EXPECT PvP. If raiders from an opposing faction or red (lost alignment / murderers) come and start attacking blue players, just call it out and youll usually get backup to come and take them out.

Open PvP is not a new thing isolated to just DF. In any open PvP game you have similar opposing factions & alignment systems allowing you to easily pick out who you need to worry about. Its not everyone running around ganking everyone else they can find. Yeah once in awhile you might get attacked by a blue who decided its time to go red, but theyll quickly go red and be free for attacking by you and the others without losing your own alignment.

You guys act like its just a FFA killing spree with no rules / systems.

• CrucialCrucial Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by znaiika

Hello all I played the original darkfall almost a year , apart from the horrendous sub fee I found the community to b brilliant . After finding some like minded players I learnt the secret to not being tanked every 2 seconds . Darkfall was. Huge place leave the starter towns and live in the wild . 

As far a pve server I disagree it would work and some people would enjoy it and I think it would open up a huge player base but ....

The game wouldn't be darkfall anymore and there is something that makes you play harder with the thought that someone could kill you any moment and trust me I remember having my head phones on hiding in the bushes listening to foot steps hoping the ganker wouldn't find me ... Hehe

If they have pve server that will not effect pvp server in any way it's totaly different game and could not effect pvp in any way, just keep playing on pvp server and don't even think that pve server is existing.

Wrong, will affect, more developing will be necessary for adapt and maintain the PvE server, these new player base exclusive PvEr will ask content for your server because Darkfall without PvP is nothing, so for make the PvE server interesting new things exclusive for PvE server will be necessary, etc.

Darkfall is a niche game and can't survive with this, look for EvE, a niche game that can survive with about 350k player because keep the developing centralized, Darkfall isn't a block buster with 1 million or more of player base and never will be, with or without PvE server, so need keep developing centralized as EvE for survive, it's a niche game.

PvP isn't exclusive feature but is the CORE feature of the game, just a quote by one developer perspective:

"Darkfall is a massively multiplayer online (mmo) game with a strong focus on player-versus-player interaction. "

http://www.sickenger.com/articles/the_making_of_darkfall/

A game can't working correctly without your CORE feature, a PvE server will remove this feature, so this is bad for the game.

English isn't my first language.

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

If raiders from an opposing faction or red (lost alignment / murderers) come and start attacking blue players, just call it out and youll usually get backup to come and take them out.

Yeah once in awhile you might get attacked by a blue who decided its time to go red, but theyll quickly go red and be free for attacking by you and the others without losing your own alignment.

As pretty much every former DF player has said, the game would not be fun or interesting if you remove PvP or restrict the PvP. That said I'll bump this thread because there's more good info in it elsewhere.

Many people have the playstyle to stay around the racial 'newbie' cities and help defend against reds. It's what they enjoy doing, just like some people enjoy ganking every chance they get.

You should expect to be attacked in Darkfall though. If you're fighting a monster and you're low HP and there's someone lurking around you, you should expect them to try to kill you. This is why the game is so clan and politically oriented. It's not a game for the solo players, though many have succeeded in that playstyle, the game is all about clan mechanics. Find/start a clan, get away from the starting cities and live out of a player holding. If you live out of a player city then you have an area around the holding that is relatively secure and you can do your PvE, crafting, and gathering in that area to avoid the majority of danger.

There are plenty of guilds who want to play the game on their own little island with few reds around, if you want a more PvE expierence I would suggest finding one of those clans/alliances. These alliances are usually not the best PvP players but what they lack in skill they make up for in numbers. PvP skill is not everything in Darkfall, if your goal is a relative 'safe zone' or world domination then your political skills will take you a lot closer to your goal than any amount of PvP skills.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Crucial

Wrong, will affect, more developing will be necessary for adapt and maintain the PvE server, these new player base exclusive PvEr will ask content for your server because Darkfall without PvP is nothing, so for make the PvE server interesting new things exclusive for PvE server will be necessary, etc.

Darkfall is a niche game and can't survive with this, look for EvE, a niche game that can survive with about 350k player because keep the developing centralized, Darkfall isn't a block buster with 1 million or more of player base and never will be, with or without PvE server, so need keep developing centralized as EvE for survive, it's a niche game.

PvP isn't exclusive feature but is the CORE feature of the game, just a quote by one developer perspective:

"Darkfall is a massively multiplayer online (mmo) game with a strong focus on player-versus-player interaction. "

http://www.sickenger.com/articles/the_making_of_darkfall/

A game can't working correctly without your CORE feature, a PvE server will remove this feature, so this is bad for the game.

English isn't my first language.

You'd never notice, well stated.   I wouldnt get wrapped up in responding to znaiika, I think he has a problem understanding English anyway.

If pve players can sustain their developer team and I know they will " you have a lot more pve players then pvp players " who will just work for pve server and pvp server have it's own team working on maintaining pvp server? then it's just two different games which will not conflict in any way with each other, I can't understand why not have pve server as well.

Why did DF developers desided to create new game in the first place? lack of support from player base, that is the main reason why.

They could not maintain DF in time because of a small team, they could not afford to hire more people to fix the game when income is lower then expenses.

Clearly pvpers could not sustain DF as a whole.

Every game developer is looking for a way to make money, not just have enough to sustain their project and definitely not loosing money.

Originally posted by Biskop

My god, please lock this crap thread already.

Useless bullshit discussion, and utterly pointless too. People who still, after 30+ pages, can't understand why DFUW will never have a PvE server or optional PvP need to have their brains replaced.

GTFO of these forums already, we're not interested in your preferences or whether you'll play DFUW or not.

Jesus, some people...

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

If pve players can sustain their developer team and I know they will " you have a lot more pve players then pvp players " who will just work for pve server and pvp server have it's own team working on maintaining pvp server? then it's just two different games which will not conflict in any way with each other, I can't understand why not have pve server as well.

Why did DF developers desided to create new game in the first place? lack of support from player base, that is the main reason why.

They could not maintain DF in time because of a small team, they could not afford to hire more people to fix the game when income is lower then expenses.

Every game developer is looking for a way to make money, not just have enough to sustain their project and definitely not loosing money.

Lol wut?

AV have decided to make a "new game", because it is easier to do that, than try and overhaul a pre existing game in order to realise their vision of a persistent world PVP game. They also clearly think that an audience is there for said game.

You will note that they decided to go ahead and create a "new game" which was again, PVP centric and again aimed at an audience capable of enjoying PVP or at least realising that it is a core feature of said PVP game.

You will also note that given they found it easier to make a new game then overhaul the old one, well the old "oh just make a PVE server, it will be easy" argument is completely blown out of the water. Major updates have taken years, converting the game to a PVE centric one... lol good joke there.

Btw developers do no doubt look for ways to make money. Some developers though look for ways to make money from the audience they were aiming their game at, along with others capable of at least "getting" the game. Not every developer sells out/rips apart their core plan, just to cash grab from a market the game was never intended for in the first place.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    @ Bunnyhopper

You're wasting your time arguing with these people. Every single page of this thread is full of rational, logical, explanations of why a PVE server will never happen, yet some guys just keep asking "but why not?"

Really, where are the mods?
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

DF wasnt lacking numbers because its a PvP game. In fact it had a pretty massive following for an indie game when it 1st came out because of the PvP it offered. It lost the majority of its players due to problems like bugs / exploits, cheaters being allowed to roam the game without being handled by the devs, too much of a PvE grind for a PvP game, delays in fixes & added features, etc.

Anyway I dont think youre really getting the point, even though youve kind of said it yourself. "have 2 seperate teams treating it like 2 completely different games". Theres your answer. If you want to play a different game than DF, why not just, you know, go play a different game.

Maybe one day this company will make a different game focused on PvE, and you can play that. But that is not what Darkfall is, and not sure why you insist they should make it a completely different game when completely different games that offer PvE instead of PvP, exactly like youre asking for, already exist.

Its like going to a pizza shop and insisting they start serving ice cream, when theres an ice cream shop next door. Then when they tell you as much, you keep insisting you want ice cream and theyre just like "Dude. Go next door. Theres ice cream there, we dont serve it here" and instead of going next door you just keep insisting "But I want ice cream".

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Biskop
    @ Bunnyhopper

You're wasting your time arguing with these people. Every single page of this thread is full of rational, logical, explanations of why a PVE server will never happen, yet some guys just keep asking "but why not?"

Really, where are the mods?

Watching the page count soar?... ^^  

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

In my understanding " full sandbox pvp game " is the one without any type of NPC, there are animals which give you animal parts no gold, silver and coper nor any type of metal resources and finished product, everything is created by players and players only.

If you have all those things in DFUW then it is still a fully suported pve game, no matter how you put it out.

For those who deffend DFUW, is wrong, that this is full pvp game, you only have permanent pvp flag in pve environment.

Does Darkfall have safe zones?

There are no safe zones in Darkfall unless the players themselves create them or seek them out.

So how can I stay safe?

You are never really safe.

Is Darkfall a Player vs. Player (PvP) game?

Darkfall is THE PvP game. There is full interaction between the players without any restrictions but with accountability through the alignment system

Will you offer a world without PvP for those of us that do not enjoy it?

We like to think of Darkfall as a game where there are no restrictions to player interaction that don't make sense. The fantasy literature and mythology that inspired fantasy based RPGs contains conflict, combat and warfare and its part of what made these worlds so dramatic, the characters so heroic, and the endings so rewarding. Having said that, we're sorry, but do not offer a softer version of Darkfall.

I don't like PvP, why should I even consider trying out Darkfall?

If you give it a chance, you'll discover that Darkfall is an extremely well rounded game.

How are you going to handle Player Killing?

Anyone can attack anyone. In fact Darkfall encourages you to seek out and kill enemies of your race and your clan.

Whilst that little lot is taken from the original games FAQ, it is clear as day why there is no PVE servers for the Darkfall franchise. It's a pvp game, it does though offer gameplay outside of pvp (but intrinsically linked to it) for those people who "give it a chance" and don't whine about "PVE servers plox!!!".

DFUW is not a pvp game it has pvp aspects and only aspects, it is fully supported pve game.

PVP game would have resources to defend, teritory controll, no npc of any kind, etc....

DFUW is NPC supported, and it is fully pve game.

Xsyon is closer to pvp game not DFUW.

The only boundry to be full pve is that permanent pvp flag.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

It's not pvp game it has pvp aspects and only aspects, it is fully supported pve game.

PVP game would have resources to defend, teritory controll, no npc of any kind, etc....

DFUW is NPC supported, and it is full pve game.

"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop...the Twilight Zone."

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

DFUW is not a pvp game it has pvp aspects and only aspects, it is fully supported pve game.

DFUW is NPC supported, and it is fully pve game.

The only boundry to be full pve is that permanent pvp flag.

My point is, pve server would not conflict with pvp server in any way, because DFUW is already pve game.
    My point is, pve server would not conflict with pvp server in any way, because DFUW is already pve game.

Your "point" is moot.  (and wrong, which has been pointed out some 30 times in this thread)

There will be no PvE server or flagging system! 

Enough with the trolling already!

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

let's all continue 

It's like DFUW is going to listen to pve players and add pve server, but still I can and have all the rights to speakup and expres my opinion.

Am not trolling

It's like DFUW is going to listen to pve players and add pve server, but still I can and have all the rights to speakup and expres my opinion.

Am not trolling

Yes you are! You even admit it'll never happen, yet you keep spamming the same old nonsense.

Secondly, posting on MMORPG.com isn't a right, its a privilege providing you follow the rules.

Troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4]

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

What´s with all this people always attempting to change other people´s games into their own liking instead of joining or asking for a game of their own? 

I do not even like Darkfall but the game deserves to be what their fans and diehard players want and have been playing all along and pretending for the game to shift and change or adapt to another group of players is absurd.

Let everyone have their own corner in the mmoworld instead of trying to make "everything for everyone", gee.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

The only way I can see a PVE server working is if you still auto flag for PVP in territory of clans, as per their own settings, with the full set of options for all players, players in a guild(s), or not in a guild(s) etc. I guess the game would need some areas that cannot be taken, maybe limit pvp zones to X radius around clan stone, based on city size, population, maybe some kind of EvE style influence.

I'm not sure how much appeal it would have though. Drop rates would need to be nerfed IMO.

Originally posted by Hancakes

Yes you are! You even admit it'll never happen, yet you keep spamming the same old nonsense.

Secondly, posting on MMORPG.com isn't a right, its a privilege providing you follow the rules.

Troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4]

Just my opinion.

Then those who discussed that sig, are who?

I pointed out that DFUW is pve game and deserve to have own pve server.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    DF:UW lacks the depth to handle PvE only server.
This discussion has been closed.