Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] PlanetSide 2: A Veteran’s Comparison – Part Two

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the things that many experienced PlanetSide 1 players want to know is how are things going to be different in PlanetSide 2? In today's latest column, we take a look at the two from a veteran player's perspective. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

There are 2 entirely different philosophies in effect for PS1 and PS2. PS1 utilized the approach of "If you can hack it, you can have it". Essentially, if you were able to clear the enemy out of their control console, and a hacker could hack the base, then it became yours the second it finished the hack. PS2 utilizes the approach of "Not only do you have to hack it, but you have to HOLD a majority stake of the base for at least 5 minutes". In other words, merely hacking a base/waypoint isn't good enough; you're going to have to lock it down after you're done. There are multiple problems with this philosophy, especially in regards to the way that it has been implemented in PS2.

Read more of Derek Czerkaski's PlanetSide 2: A Veteran’s Comparison – Part Two.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    I said it before i rather have a ps1 makeover then a battlefield style mmofps.ps1 was not successful due to launch bugs,high at launch specs ,ppl not into sub paying esp. the fps crowd(it was pre wow) not subpar features.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I'm a long time PS1 player, and got into PS2 beta but unfortunately the more I play, the less interested I become. This feels like another typical frag'em FPS game that's polluting the FPS market (the dumbed down Call of Duty titles and now Battlefield 3).

I too would love a remake of PS1, it was a different FPS game over the others and didn't require insane reflexes to play like PS2 does.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    The problem is that for every seasoned desk-general who enjoyed the 3 day long trench war you had 2-3 casual players who felt that the game was not going anywhere. Now i am part of the "loved the 3-day slugfest" crowd but that was what i had shot back at me when i tried to get people in to the game. I belive they have tried to strike a balance between being slightly more casual friendly and still giving people the oppertunity to have massive battles. If it is a good idea or will render them with a "no family" across the fence trying to please both sides i have no idea.

This have been a good conversation

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    PS2 is much much better, i was bored with first part but that one is awesome
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Now, I'm going to say this right out of the gate.  I am NOT very good at PvP.  I do ok given time.  I find my niche and have at it.  That being said.

I loved Planetside 1.  Adored it.  I loved taking my Reaver and going balls to the wall doing hit and run on bases.  Fly in, unleash my rockets into the base and pulling out at full afterburner before someone could get a Phoenix-lock on me.  Or those times that I find a nice coushy spot and snipe the hell out of people.  Or use my lightning and just bombard an area with my tank fire.  I love, as someone said earlier, the days long fights on continents like Hossin or Esamir.  Very much loved it.

Now I'm playing the Planetside 2 Beta.  It definately feels like a new game.  But, at the same time, more in depth.  Let me re-phrase that.  More in depth in certain areas.  AKA: The certifications.  And at the same time, things aren't as "easy" as they once were.  Things aren't so clear cut.   For instance, I want to focus on being a Reaver pilot for the NC.  Some of the certs I can understand.  Others, not so much.  There's no real explination on how to switch weapons or buy weapons for the Reaver.

What I don't care for is that they restricted what factions can use what in terms of aircraft.  Why restrict the TR to just the Mosquito?  Why don't they have the Reaver too?  And why the NC only has the Reaver?  Why not give them the Mossie too?  The Mossie was a great scouting aircraft.

The base fights seem to only be fought INSIDE of the buildings.  At least for the most parts.  Which makes the Sniper's job absolutely moot.  And I'm not great (ok, I totally suck) in close quarters fighting.

There definately is a learning curve to the game.  And I didn't mean to put so many negatives in my post.  But all in all, I find Planetside 2 very enjoyable myself.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

my only complaint with the timers is that they interrupt the flow of an invasion in that you have to stick around for a bit to cap a region. beyond that they're fine. see, one thing you forgot to mention is that you still hold the ground you've taken when the defenders hold out. i've had planty of times where we made the defender timer, but still lost. even though your team regains access to waypoints, the area is still swarming with enemies. i actually rarely pay attention to timers until we've cleared the base. before that they're meaningless.

also trying to storm the top floor of a base with endless waves of enemies flooding it is fun as hell.

also you keep saying "attacking is hard!" i, for one, do not see the problem with this. either attacking is hard, or defending is, mechanically speaking. and since anyone taking the offense has a much greater tactical advantage, it makes sense to give the defenders a nod with the mechanics.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

For every little thing PS1 did good, it also did 3 things bad. Funny, how people seem to forget that.

Anyway, PS2 is indeed faster paced, but it is by no means less tactical than PS1.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

To me, the features of PS2 make alot more sense. The timer and the spawn protection are excellent tools to stop players from exploiting poor game mechanics anf force them to focus on the spirit of the intended gameplay.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The more i read about PS2 the more i am inclined to think that PS1 is the better game, PS2 lacks so many things, its almost like their forcing a 'linear' progression on players, by limiting choices and messing around with the skills so that they no longer really resemble the originals, and not in a good way either, some of the choices are just plain odd.  PS1 is an old game now, but it has a lot of things that it did well, and even without updating the graphics, it is still, imo, a much better game than PS2, SOE could have done far worse than to just update the graphics in PS1 and run with that, the way they've messed about with the game in creating PS2, looks to me like they didnt really understand how PS1 even worked.
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

edit: nm.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I played planetisde 1 for 7 years, played planetside 2 for 7 minutes. Two very different games, planetside 2 is too diluted in the way they try to please too many gaming styles. As someone said earlier, "for every one thing pside1 did right, it did 3 wrong, and people seem to have forgotten that". Well there is a reason why we put those things aside, because when it came down to it, planetside was an incredible game, way ahead of its time and the ones that stuck around for so long did so because we felt that...you don't see people sticking around for the long in games anymore because they're so shallow and linear.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".