Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Two Factor Authentication Beta Begins

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has announced that, effective immediately, Guild Wars 2 players can take part in the new beta of a two-factor authentication system. Players can download and install an authenticator program for a desktop PC or Mac and/or Android and iPhone mobile platforms. The new authentication system is designed to protect player accounts from hackers.

Mobile two-factor authentication is an alternative means of securing your Guild Wars 2account, and like e-mail authentication, is optional but strongly encouraged. Rather than sending you an e-mail when unauthorized login attempts occur, the game (or any of our online web sites) will prompt you for a six-digit number any time you log in to a Mobile Authenticator-protected account. Using a freely available app on three major smartphone platforms – iOS, Android, and Windows Phone – you can obtain the correct six-digit number unique to your account. These numbers change every 30 seconds and can only be used once; this ensures that without your mobile device, an attacker would not be able to compromise your Guild Wars 2 account.

Read more on the Guild Wars 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Sweet! Been waiting for this.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    im happy w the ip checking thats already offered but this is a better option
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Yep, definitely needed.
  • SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    8 digits would be better but I'll settle for 6.
  • forktongueforktongue Member UncommonPosts: 23

Hmmn I aint worried about the account being hacked.........

I am dissapointed with all the bots that there are in this game perma ban the lot.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    ^ I agree, On the plus side, ANET would make more money if the botters re-buy the game lol. Or ina  worst case scenario more accounts will be hacked......
  • nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by forktongue

Hmmn I aint worried about the account being hacked.........

I am dissapointed with all the bots that there are in this game perma ban the lot.

Bots run on hacked accounts, you HAVE to realize this?

So they're a directly related problem. It means they ARE dealing with bots.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Already switched to the new system.
  • XMVFXMVF Member Posts: 1
    ALIEN SCIENCE
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    This is why I love ArenaNet.  They still give a damn about their customers.  It's not a perfect solution.  But it's a step in the right direction.  Kudos to ArenaNet for this approach.  I just installed it and used it on my accounts.  Just so awesome.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Good, 11,000+ accounts hacked not long after GW2 was launched and still counting TODAY. Stuff like this should become a standard in MMO games now.

I bet you the amount of bots would be drastically cut down as well, since many of the bots are run on stolen accounts.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Switched and it works like a charm, thanks Anet :)
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'll wait until it isn't a beta...

Beta and security are not words that should be put together.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

ok- odd but i looked up for the app on my iphone and couldnt find it- they actually didnt even say the apps name on the story.

what am i missing here!???

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Vannor

I'll wait until it isn't a beta...

Beta and security are not words that should be put together.

Yea me too. I will wait till final release.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by orbitxo

ok- odd but i looked up for the app on my iphone and couldnt find it- they actually didnt even say the apps name on the story.

Google Authenticator for iPhones and Android.

I got it installed on my android phone and it's working great.

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by orbitxo

After you go to the link in the article and login, the app links are presented to you right there.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    What if you don't have a smartphone?

It would be better to use the same method which google uses for gmail and google+.  You give them your mobile number and if you, or someone else, logs into your account from a different IP, they will send a code to your phone to verify it's you and not a hacker.  They also send one periodically even if you're logging in from the same IP add.  No need for an app, no need for a smartphone.  

People shouldn't make assumptions about what technology someone owns, especially if it's a company trying to improve security.