Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game needs wardrobe slots.

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Lets be honest.  As far as PVE goes, the entire "endgame" for GW2 is basically grinding out armor sets. 

Here's the problem.  They all have different stats and some are yellow con some are orange con armor, etc.

So, i have a nice set of armor for the stats i want, but i cant wear the armor LOOK that i want without changing to different stats.

Now, you say "aha! but there are transmutation stones!",  Yes, that is true, but why should i have to destroy one set that i like the look of just to get the stats of it onto another piece of armor i also like the look of.

Anyways, just a little rant i thought i'd get off my chest.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• aviciavici Member Posts: 44
    I agree., mostly for just having a nice interface to see what we have acquired. Something along the lines of how they have the dye set up would be nice. I have no issues with hard work to acquire skins, but having it work as an unlocking function would be great.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"Now, you say "aha! but there are transmutation stones!",  Yes, that is true, but why should i have to destroy one set that i like the look of just to get the stats of it onto another piece of armor i also like the look of."

If you liked the look of the other piece of armor, why are you replacing the look of it?

That said, a solution for most cases is to just buy a cheap piece off the auction house that is the style you like. For example, I liked the look of the Orrian rifle so I bought a crap rifle off the market for my second rifle so that I didn't have to get rid of the existing one that I use. That's part of how I've been collecting rifle skins.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

First I really wish/hope they add a ton of new armor skins, was looking at all the different armors from Aion (yes it has been out alot longer) and there are a TON (some very interesting, some just weird)

Second maybe a system like DCUO, where once you collect a skin it is then usable at anytime to change the look of your armor.

Therefore you can use the armor stats you have but have the option for it to look like any of the unlocked skins.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

"Now, you say "aha! but there are transmutation stones!",  Yes, that is true, but why should i have to destroy one set that i like the look of just to get the stats of it onto another piece of armor i also like the look of."

If you liked the look of the other piece of armro, why are you replacing the look of it?

That said, a solution for most cases is to just buy a cheap piece off the auction house that is the style you like. For example, I liked the look of the Orrian rifle so I bought a crap rifle off the market for my second rifle so that I didn't have to get rid of the existing one that I use. That's part of how I've been collecting rifle skins.

Because this isnt a zero sum game?  You ever had more than one mount in a game.  Ever bought more than 1 knife because you liked the way one looked for one reason and the other for another reason?

If the whole point is to have bunches of armor skins, why would i want to use the same armor skin until the end of time?  I'd like to be able to switch things up as my mood changes.  Maybe one day i want to be "super tight fitting black leather sneaky guy", and the next day i want to be "covered in shiny pointed objects, ninja looking guy"

As or your point about buying cheap skins off the market, that works just fine, when the stuff thats cheap looks cool.  In some cases it does, like your orrian rifle.  In most cases it doesnt.  The cool looking stuff is the stuff thats hard as hell to get.

Example, i just spent like 7g on a suit of whisper armor for my thief.  Looks awesome, but i can't use it cus the stats are total crap.  I'm not gonna overwrite my current armor because its that kind of cool tight fitting ninja looking set.  So, unfortunately im stuck with "tight fitting ninja set" due to what is effectively just a bad system all around.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Yeah, I hate the transmutation stone system.  I wouldn't hold my breath on it changing any time soon, though.  Maybe eventually, but I don't think there's much chance in hell anet will make it a priority.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98
    Transmutation stones are a money maker so don't expect ANET to completely destroy their own market just because you want them to. Besides cosmetics is the only real "grind" in the game so making it easier is silly.

Also it is not a bad system, it helps remove items from the game which helps curb item glut. Your just going to have to work a little harder if you want to have tons of different max stated armor sets all with different skins.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    This is the one area LOTRO got right.  I don't know why they wouldn't borrow that mechanism.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by zanebergeron

First I really wish/hope they add a ton of new armor skins, was looking at all the different armors from Aion (yes it has been out alot longer) and there are a TON (some very interesting, some just weird)

Second maybe a system like DCUO, where once you collect a skin it is then usable at anytime to change the look of your armor.

Therefore you can use the armor stats you have but have the option for it to look like any of the unlocked skins.

Actually the system of DCUO is almost perfect...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

This game needs an cosmetic armor slot. It is obvious that this game is all about collecting armors or generally looks if you like. Destroying an armor set the stats of which we use to use it in another is not a viable solution.

I don't think that this was an oversight, so I'm buffled at the reason this was not included.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    wardrobe reminds me of the wow addon that got added to the game, gw2 really needs it, changing between my normal gear and my magic find gear manually and back each time is getting quite annoying.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

My only gripe is, instead of having a good solution like a in game npc asking for ingame money we have to deal with these inventory space consuming trans stones, then two tiers and all that just because some might buy those stones instead to farm gold and trade for crystals....

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

agree w Op

a system like EQ2, LOTRO, RIFT etc or DCUO would be preferable

even GW1 had appearance gear slots later added to the game

Originally posted by Hrimnir

If you liked the look of the other piece of armro, why are you replacing the look of it?

Because this isnt a zero sum game?  You ever had more than one mount in a game.  Ever bought more than 1 knife because you liked the way one looked for one reason and the other for another reason?

Yes. I stated that is exactly what I was doing above.

If the whole point is to have bunches of armor skins, why would i want to use the same armor skin until the end of time?

The whole point of what? GW2? Your playstyle?

I'd like to be able to switch things up as my mood changes.  Maybe one day i want to be "super tight fitting black leather sneaky guy", and the next day i want to be "covered in shiny pointed objects, ninja looking guy"

Do many MMOs offer that? I know LOTRO and a few others do, but I didn't realize it was that commonplace that what you present should be an expectation in an MMO. Is it really that common of a feature?

As or your point about buying cheap skins off the market, that works just fine, when the stuff thats cheap looks cool.  In some cases it does, like your orrian rifle.  In most cases it doesnt.  The cool looking stuff is the stuff thats hard as hell to get.

Part of what makes it cool is the rarity and difficulty to obtain it. For some people, grinding for gear is FUN!  *gasp* wait a minute, grinding for gear is fun? how is this possible?  this is madness, this is blasphemy?!!?!

Do you think the guy that spend 200 hours carefully putting together a ship in a bottle is enjoying the hand cramps, and the constant starting over because you make a tiny mistake and screw the whole thing up?  No. Of course its not FUN, but it gives a sense of satisfaction, and that is fun.  Same thing for the guy who spends 50 hours putting a 4000 piece puzzle together.

Just like making love to a woman you are in love with and care for is going to be far more enjoyable than just banging some drunk chick you took home from the bar.

The difference comes from being invested into something, it creates a different type of enjoyment.

I swear the modern generation doesn't get this.  They're so used to having everything at their fingertips that they've never learned the sense of enjoyment and satisfaction that comes from pursuing and completing a long term project.

Example, i just spent like 7g on a suit of whisper armor for my thief.  Looks awesome, but i can't use it cus the stats are total crap.  I'm not gonna overwrite my current armor because its that kind of cool tight fitting ninja looking set.  So, unfortunately im stuck with "tight fitting ninja set" due to what is effectively just a bad system all around.

Outside of sandbox style games, are there many other MMOs where you actually have an entire collection of useful sets of armor?

For a couple years now, the majority here have been saying they have no problem with F2P as long as it's cosmetic. Actually, many in the NA/EU playerbase say that. Well, here's your F2P where you pay for cosmetics. Offering a costume slot would break the paid system. You can'thave your cake and eat it, too.

Besides... grinding for gear is fun, right? :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

For a couple years now, the majority here have been saying they have no problem with F2P as long as it's cosmetic. Actually, many in the NA/EU playerbase say that. Well, here's your F2P where you pay for cosmetics. Offering a costume slot would break the paid system. You can'thave your cake and eat it, too.

Just picking up on the underlined point alone and not getting involved in the general debate. But people have probably stated in the past that F2P is fine so long as it is cosmetic items only, is because said cosmetic items were not perceived to be the endgame "grind" by the players.

In GW2 some people see skins as the endgame grind, as such their take on whether it is right or wrong to include that within a cash shop system may just differ from their normal stance on the subject.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

could always make players pay for appearance slot option

GW2 already went half way there w the "townclothes" feature

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Just picking up on the underlined point alone and not getting involved in the general debate. But people have probably stated in the past that F2P is fine so long as it is cosmetic items only, is because said cosmetic items were not perceived to be the endgame "grind" by the players.

In GW2 some people see skins as the endgame grind, as such their take on whether it is right or wrong to include that within a cash shop system may just differ from their normal stance on the subject.

Agreed, but the issue he presented that I was responding to was not that he had to spend money but that he had to overwrite existing gear instead of have multiple viable sets or a wardrobe slot, the problem being they are hard as hell to get.  However, as seen in the link I provided, that same person not only said he found that grind fun, but was rather derisive recently towards those that didn't see his point of view. The cash shop part is irrelevant because no cash has to ever be spent to get the transmutation stones: gold > gems > stones.

Originally posted by Nadia

could always make players pay for appearance slot option

GW2 already went half way there w the "townclothes" feature

Being able to obtain permanent wardrobe slots (through quest, shop, achievement, etc) seems like a decent middle ground. I like that idea!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Sadly I don't think Anet will ever put in a wardrobe systems because of the Transmutation Stones and Cash shop.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

We have:

- battle armor slots

- town clothes slots

- preview feature that lets you see how your armor would look with a new type of skin

- transmutation stones which you can aquire in the game easily and lots of them (Basic and partially but more rarely the Fine ones too)

So I went there and added my heritage skin from GW1 to all the armors I wanted for all my characters.

Got a rampagers pants drop for my elementalist, checked it in preview and saw that it looked good with my heritage top so I transmuted the stats with the new skin and end of story.

Why having two different skins available when the stats are lower to one skin anyway?

Maybe having a skin extraction stone that keeps the skin we extracted available for the character we unlocked it (all characters would be a bit too much unless its a gem shop item), as a item that can be used for a certain amount of times or be unlocked forever after the first time we used it like the dyes would be a good solution.

However, having another full armor slot only for a second skin would be a waste of server database space by so many characters and it would end up with people complaining, that there aren't enough again because they like more than 2 skins for their characters.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

If the whole point is to have bunches of armor skins, why would i want to use the same armor skin until the end of time?

I'd like to be able to switch things up as my mood changes.  Maybe one day i want to be "super tight fitting black leather sneaky guy", and the next day i want to be "covered in shiny pointed objects, ninja looking guy"

Do many MMOs offer that? I know LOTRO and a few others do, but I didn't realize it was that commonplace that what you present should be an expectation in an MMO. Is it really that common of a feature?

Part of what makes it cool is the rarity and difficulty to obtain it. For some people, grinding for gear is FUN!  *gasp* wait a minute, grinding for gear is fun? how is this possible?  this is madness, this is blasphemy?!!?!

Do you think the guy that spend 200 hours carefully putting together a ship in a bottle is enjoying the hand cramps, and the constant starting over because you make a tiny mistake and screw the whole thing up?  No. Of course its not FUN, but it gives a sense of satisfaction, and that is fun.  Same thing for the guy who spends 50 hours putting a 4000 piece puzzle together.

Just like making love to a woman you are in love with and care for is going to be far more enjoyable than just banging some drunk chick you took home from the bar.

The difference comes from being invested into something, it creates a different type of enjoyment.

I swear the modern generation doesn't get this.  They're so used to having everything at their fingertips that they've never learned the sense of enjoyment and satisfaction that comes from pursuing and completing a long term project.

Outside of sandbox style games, are there many other MMOs where you actually have an entire collection of useful sets of armor?

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

• Person A has position X.
      • Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
      • Person B attacks position Y.
      • Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself.

Your responses have no bearing on the argument.  Nobody here is arguing the validity or worthiness of a grind for cosmetic style of system.  What we're saying is we shouldn't have to DESTROY one piece of armor to retain the look of a piece of armor we ground already for.   Thats like saying you should have to tear down and completely rebuild your house because you decided you wanted the interior walls to be tan colored instead of eggshell white.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

• Person A has position X.
      • Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
      • Person B attacks position Y.
      • Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself.

Your responses have no bearing on the argument.  Nobody here is arguing the validity or worthiness of a grind for cosmetic style of system.  What we're saying is we shouldn't have to DESTROY one piece of armor to retain the look of a piece of armor we ground already for.   Thats like saying you should have to tear down and completely rebuild your house because you decided you wanted the interior walls to be tan colored instead of eggshell white.

"why should i have to destroy one set that i like the look of just to get the stats of it onto another piece of armor i also like the look of"

"I'd like to be able to switch things up as my mood changes.  Maybe one day i want to be super tight fitting black leather sneaky guy, and the next day i want to be covered in shiny pointed objects, ninja looking guy"

a solution for most cases is to just buy a cheap piece off the auction house that is the style you like.

"As or your point about buying cheap skins off the market, that works just fine, when the stuff thats cheap looks cool.  In some cases it does, like your orrian rifle.  In most cases it doesnt.  The cool looking stuff is the stuff thats hard as hell to get."

Since you've previously said that grinding for gear is fun and gives a sense of satisfaction, I suggested you grind for it.

How is that a strawman?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Lets be honest.  As far as PVE goes, the entire "endgame" for GW2 is basically grinding out armor sets. 

Here's the problem.  They all have different stats and some are yellow con some are orange con armor, etc.

So, i have a nice set of armor for the stats i want, but i cant wear the armor LOOK that i want without changing to different stats.

Now, you say "aha! but there are transmutation stones!",  Yes, that is true, but why should i have to destroy one set that i like the look of just to get the stats of it onto another piece of armor i also like the look of.

Anyways, just a little rant i thought i'd get off my chest.

That would be cool.

They have this for sPvP, I don't understand why they don't have this for PvE as well.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by skydiver12

My only gripe is, instead of having a good solution like a in game npc asking for ingame money we have to deal with these inventory space consuming trans stones, then two tiers and all that just because some might buy those stones instead to farm gold and trade for crystals....

What kind of complaint is that? How often do you transmute items, every 30 seconds? Transmutation Stones stack and you can just stick them in your bank for when you need them.

On topic, I don't mind the current system.