Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorit crafting/economy MMO?

BercilakBercilak Albion OnlineMember Posts: 108

So as the topic says what is your favorit crafting/economy game?

So crafting/economy in terms of ...

1. The process to create an item, is it more then simply pressing a button and seeing
  2. And how is the whole crafting involved in the games economy

What is your favorit in MMO in this area and why?

Comments

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Eve online by far. Amazing player driven economy

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• BercilakBercilak Albion OnlineMember Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Krematory
    Eve online by far. Amazing player driven economy

Would you say that just letting players craft all the items is what makes EVE so great, or is there more beyond it?

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    It's a big part of it. Every item is useful and has some kind of purpose, and crafting is meaningful. Each and every ship, module or structure will eventually be destroyed, and because of that it's fun to play the market.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eve
    Perpetuum is good alternative too.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Why is that?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

None atm.    

Don't like playing a spaceship in EvE and I don't accept ISK <-> Plex things.   Other than that it looks great of course for those that like and accept above two things.

Originally posted by fenistil

None atm.    

Don't like playing a spaceship in EvE and I don't accept ISK <-> Plex things.   Other than that it looks great of course for those that like and accept above two things.

Interesting, what would you say was your favorit crafting/economy MMO?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Bercilak

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Why is that?

Because is a well done EVE clone but with Mechs, so crafting is pretty much the same as EVE

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    eRepublik has a decent economy.  What I'm developing I think has a pretty good economic system as well.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

So regarding EVE it is

• all relevant items are craftey by players
    • and I can loose everything, which keeps the economy going

But what more is behind it. Are there any nice mechanics you know from any game or would you say that is NOT a key factor "how" you craft anything? Or are you fine just pressing a button and wait X minutes/hours, if the rest is fine?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Krematory
    It's a big part of it. Every item is useful and has some kind of purpose, and crafting is meaningful. Each and every ship, module or structure will eventually be destroyed, and because of that it's fun to play the market.

Such credulity. Some items are more useful than others, making others less useful, and some items outright useless.

Eve is the only bearable MMO with a focus on economy. "In the land of the blind..."

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

EVE. It simply has more scope and depth in terms of crafting and the economy than pretty much every other mmo out there.

But then, that isn't saying much.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

None atm.    

Interesting, what would you say was your favorit crafting/economy MMO?

UO had it nice economy / crafting component althrough from today's perspective it can be seen that is was simple and limited. Also heavy reliance on macroing, because of  crafting / combat mechanics was preety bad thing.   SWG concept of unique resources and unique craft items stats was very good idea and step in good direction, but it seems SWG still suffered from similar UO problems.  (not so surprising since it was in significant part same people doing those games).

EvE is more complex and I don't dismiss it.  I just don't cannot swallow it for two above reasons, but I don't flame it.

Besides I am not looking for mmoprg ONLY for crafting / economy purposes.  I could not play Tale in the Desert because of that.  

Hands down EVE is best mmorpg with good crafting / economy and good non-craft / non-economy features now.

It does not mean that I will play it just because there is no viable alternative. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EVE Online. I like manufacturing and playing the market. EVE Online is one of the few MMOs that actually offers tools and features to support the merchant or industrialist playstyle.

- Historical pricing data

- Regional markets

- Contract system

- Buy and Sell orders

- Transportation of resources and finished products

and for those crazy enough to do it, the ability to set up the equivalent of a futuristic meth lab in deep space to manufacture and smuggle 'boosters' onto the black market.

Personally, i enjoy building shuttles (not so much anymore) and frigates, load them into my cloaking transport ship, and sneaking into places where I can sell them for a rather sizable profit. About 1 in 20 shipments gets messy or even costly, but those are some of the most fun trips for me. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

For me, SWG. Plain and simple.

I loved the fact that it was all about surveying and hunting down resources with ever changing qualities, so no 2 items were ever the same and crafting decent items was about dedication to ensure you had the best possible materials.

When you add to that the fact that items in the game decayed it really drove a good economy since people were always on the lookout for a re-suppy of armour, rifles, pistols or whatever.

Plus, the limit of only 1 character per server meant that people had to take care of their reputations. I used to craft and supply doctor buffs (pre-CU/NGE) and really tried to be known as having some of the best on the server by always searching for the top materials available. My buff queues in Theed and Coronet were always the longest and it was great to see all the effort paid off because people knew my buffs would be among the best.

Always amazed me that no subsequent game has quite managed to follow this model.

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70

Here's hoping The Repopulation implements at least a fraction of what made pre-CU SWG great.

I made so much money milking various animals... [sigh]

Originally posted by Loktofeit

... EVE Online is one of the few MMOs that actually offers tools and features to support the merchant or industrialist playstyle.

- Regional markets

Would you still like regional markets if you have to travel a longer time to get one. In EVE you can pretty much press Auto Pilot and it takes a while but you get there automatically. So while flying there you can chat or get a coffee, right?

Wouldn't that be different if you manually have to travel between certain places?

Wouldn't then be the point where a global auction house is a better luxury or would you still prfere local markets

(I hope I got you right, with what you mean by local markets)

Kind regards,

Bercilak

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70

... EVE Online is one of the few MMOs that actually offers tools and features to support the merchant or industrialist playstyle.

- Regional markets

Would you still like regional markets if you have to travel a longer time to get one. In EVE you can pretty much press Auto Pilot and it takes a while but you get there automatically. So while flying there you can chat or get a coffee, right?

Good luck with that... 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

- Regional markets

Wouldn't that be different if you manually have to travel between certain places?

Wouldn't then be the point where a global auction house is a better luxury or would you still prfere local markets

Kind regards,

Bercilak

I think you also missed 'transportation' as one of the features I like. While one could probably auto-pilot to the systems I sell some of my ships in, it's highly unlikely they'll actually reach their destination.  Look, I'm not trying to slight your auction house, just answering the OP's question of what my favorite is and why. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

- Regional markets

Kind regards,

Bercilak

Heh I prefer player shops much over any auction house and If you played any game like this, you know how much travel can be.

Especially initially before you realize where are those few shops that have those things you like at good price and then you just look (or not) once in a while if you want to find better deal or new item.

- Regional markets

Kind regards,

Bercilak

Heh I prefer player shops much over any auction house and If you played any game like this, you know how much travel can be.

Especially initially before you realize where are those few shops that have those things you like at good price and then you just look (or not) once in a while if you want to find better deal or new item.

I presonally agree 100%. Just want to keep a discussion going about pros and cons.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Gathering: SWG
    Crafting: VG for the process along with stat allocation
    Economy: EvE because of the need for resources.
  • william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

So as the topic says what is your favorit crafting/economy game?

So crafting/economy in terms of ...

1. The process to create an item, is it more then simply pressing a button and seeing
    2. And how is the whole crafting involved in the games economy

What is your favorit in MMO in this area and why?

1. favorite crafting process was SWG, you seriously couldn't stop creating new things(there was tons of recipes). I don't know about pressing a button to see what it made, you really couldn't do that, except with some cube from Mustafar(but that wasn't crafting, it was a mini game of sorts).

2.  As far as how it interaction with the economy, it was everything. It encouraged non crafters into gathering or hunting, resource gathering, collecting certain loot drops, or dna samples. Pretty much everything you did in game, ended up with what would look like junk loot, but someone would buy it in the crafting circles.

Favorite crafting in an mmo in this era? Maybe eve, it's not a complex system compared to SWG, but its miles beyond anything I've played thats out on the market currently(no I haven't played every game, but alot)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by william0532

1. favorite crafting process was SWG, you seriously couldn't stop creating new things(there was tons of recipes). I don't know about pressing a button to see what it made, you really couldn't do that, except with some cube from Mustafar(but that wasn't crafting, it was a mini game of sorts).

2.  As far as how it interaction with the economy, it was everything. It encouraged non crafters into gathering or hunting, resource gathering, collecting certain loot drops, or dna samples. Pretty much everything you did in game, ended up with what would look like junk loot, but someone would buy it in the crafting circles.

Favorite crafting in an mmo in this era? Maybe eve, it's not a complex system compared to SWG, but its miles beyond anything I've played thats out on the market currently(no I haven't played every game, but alot)

SWG had a good crafting system but it was nowhere near EVE in terms of "economy".

EDIT: In my opinion.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by william0532

SWG had a good crafting system but it was nowhere near EVE in terms of "economy".

EDIT: In my opinion.

In fact this list is pretty close to how I see crafting in mmo's, except I put eve at 2nd or 3rd.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4947

The guy that did this thread did a pretty good job.

edit, of course I'm biased, I never played fallen earth? And I'm a sci fi fan, so thats why I would move EVE to second.