Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what's it worth and my 2 cents

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I still having fun in the game, I'm quite surprised myself, I'm a so called a MMO jumper, try out the new games having fun for 2-3 weeks and rarely sub for the second month.

With GW2 is a whole new story  I'm still playing and having fun, I play as much as I would a sub game so if this would have been a sub game I would be happy to pay another month heck a 3 month sub straight up.

I find the game refreshing and breeze of fresh air It might have to do I don't have to follow a narrow path from quest hub to quest inorder to trigger the next clump of quests.

I understand all you who didn't liked the game and no I won't write you play it wrong but what I would like to know why some write that GW2 is excactly like the rest of the lot, I've read several people writing that DE been done before so It's nothing new.

Can you please direct me to that game beacuse I have played most major MMO since UO and I have never seen a game that have GW2 type of DE and no WAR is not the same thing.

My point with this topic is besides having a lot of fun is, where is that game that is excactly like GW2, I would really want to know, plenty of people seems to know it they always write that GW2 is same old same old and still I find GW2 a completly new MMO experince.

You all take care now and don't forget a beer here and there is always nice.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I'm not gonna sub this month but I'm going to continue to play the hell out of it.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Sad really, the ones I'm asking in my OP don't want to respond to my questions :(

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Sad really, the ones I'm asking in my OP don't want to respond to my questions :(

The post comes off as troll bait no offense. But imo WARs PQ's and Rifts well RIFTS are very simmilar to GW2's DE system. You can argue it until your blue in the face but the sad fact is that DE's have been done before. The system itself has been around for a while, it just wasn't called DEs. DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.

EDIT: I will however agree that the way the leveling system works in GW2 is unique and fun, at least I enjoy it. The skill system is pretty unique too but bothers me to no end that 90% of my skills are unlocked by level 15

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

The post comes off as troll bait no offense. But imo WARs PQ's and Rifts well RIFTS are very simmilar to GW2's DE system. You can argue it until your blue in the face but the sad fact is that DE's have been done before. The system itself has been around for a while, it just wasn't called DEs. DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.

TY, but it seems many like to see through rose colored goggles when it comes to this game any criticism just doesn't cut it when were talking about the second coming.....

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I'm happy for you OP.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    I agree OP. I don't take 'same-old' talk seriously. If anyone can suggest the game that is just like GW2 I would play it, but I don't believe there is.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Besides having an argument it has been done before can you name a game that is excactly like GW2?

I bet you are that old guy who tries the holodeck 50 years from now and only see...."hey I'm kiling goblins, that's nothing new I did that 50 years ago "

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    I was happy in the fact that the cities are huge and look like they could accomodate people. They look like you could llive in them...there are areas that look like neighborhoods..not just a collection of merchants. It took me at least an hour or two to run about a city. It was fun in and of itself. The rest of the game is a blast too....though I'm messing with PS2 beta for now. Is there a halloween event going on in GW2?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'll take your 2 cents and raise you a nickel

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Besides having an argument it has been done before can you name a game that is excactly like GW2?

I bet you are that old guy who tries the holodeck 50 years from now and only see...."hey I'm kiling goblins, that's nothing new I did that 50 years ago "

I am 29 actually, but hey if thats old then ok. I am giving you facts my dear friend nothing more. The gw2 DE system has been done before. You are welcome to your own opinion of course :). GW2 as a total package has not been done before and that much is true. But please understand that most of the stuff in GW2 has been done before. Now if you are done, please finish your greens or no desert!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    I was happy in the fact that the cities are huge and look like they could accomodate people. They look like you could llive in them...there are areas that look like neighborhoods..not just a collection of merchants. It took me at least an hour or two to run about a city. It was fun in and of itself. The rest of the game is a blast too....though I'm messing with PS2 beta for now. Is there a halloween event going on in GW2?

They haven't announced a Halloween event yet, but they've sure hinted about it.  I can't wait.  I loved the Mad King events in GW1 and can't wait to see what the Mad King will do in GW2.

On topic - I think where the problem lies for some people is that GW2 didn't reinvent the wheel.  While they implemented some definitely new concepts (Vistas, the leveling system, etc.) many of the best features of the game aren't new to the genre of MMORPGs.  Yes, the basic concept of WvWvW has already been done, the basic concept of DE's has already been done, as has the basic concept around crafting, dodging, active combat, etc. etc.  So, since the basic ideas are lifted from other games, some people see it and say "oh, nothing new here", "been there, done that".

What I think many of these people miss is that GW2 basically did what WoW and EQ did.  Took great concepts from existing sources, tweaked them, melded them with other awesome concepts, and packaged it all in a new way.  To me, that gives the game a fresh new feeling without being alien.

I guess some people just want alien.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    [mod edit]

But... how do you REALLY feel?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    [mod edit]

But... how do you REALLY feel?

I feel like losing a couple of my stars.

• tab14tab14 Member Posts: 7

I tend to see GW2 as containing features from many games, UO, DAOC, WAR and a few others, presented in a different overall package.

The lack of a number crunchingly good elite gear gathering competition put me off a little at first but now I am playing my several hours a day, enjoying doing stuff instead of planning, formulating, reading and then raiding for 10 hrs on reset day aka previous games.  I enjoy the beat a raid to get to next raid games but this is a pleasant change for me as well.

This is a good game for some and will feel pointless for others, the game is what you wish to make of it.

Good luck all.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

How to lose all credibility in one sentence: "DE's are just a glorified version of WAR's PQs.".

Anyone who played both games knows this is complete nonsense. WAR's PQs are static. They also didn't scale with the number of participants, once the initial release rush was over, you were screwed since nobody was around to do the PQs with you. Their didn't vary depending on if you succeed or fail.

The Rift "rifts" are closer to GW2, but still quite different. They don't blend into the landscape, you don't have bandits attacking farms, or bears invoked by a kid, or a group of Sons of Swanir wreaking havok, fitting the local story and the world area, but instead in Rift you have the same generic mobs attacking you from each type of rift. Rifts are basically just another type of mob spawners, nothing more, they don't blend in, don't tell anything, it's just mindless mob bashing just because they are there.

You gave absolutely no fact here, only your flawed opinion. If GW2 DEs are like WAR's PQs, then apples are like oranges too.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

DE? Rift does it, a lot of games do and they often have more effect on the game world but eh, lets just skimp on that for now.

Its good your enjoying the game. Theres a game for everyone and unfortunately GW2 fell far shorter then I was expecting, which to be truthful I wasn't expecting to much but it was a bit more of a let down then I thought.  Either way, we each have our games and GW2 tickles your fancy and for me it makes me wish I didn't spend my $60. :(

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

WAR had public quests and Rift has its Rifts, and whilst the mechanic of DE's is very similar, they are a step forward.  DE's are far less static and more varied than Rifts and Public quests..  although it would be nice to see a greater variety of missions and especially a variety of DE's in a given location so the event cycles are much less obvious.

Anyone who tells you it is a 'fact' one way or the other..  that DE's are the same as PQs and Rifts or that they are very different, is showing their bias.  The only fact is that it can be argued either way and really just comes down to opinion.

Hopefully, Anet is looking to add DE's to existing zones which will disguise the event cycles.. they did boast about how they streamlined the event building system to make it fast, but somehow I think they may instead concentrate on new content for new zones.. 

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Tawn47

WAR had public quests and Rift has its Rifts, and whilst the mechanic of DE's is very similar, they are a step forward.  DE's are far less static and more varied than Rifts and Public quests..  although it would be nice to see a greater variety of missions and especially a variety of DE's in a given location so the event cycles are much less obvious.

Anyone who tells you it is a 'fact' one way or the other..  that DE's are the same as PQs and Rifts or that they are very different, is showing their bias.  The only fact is that it can be argued either way and really just comes down to opinion.

Hopefully, Anet is looking to add DE's to existing zones which will disguise the event cycles.. they did boast about how they streamlined the event building system to make it fast, but somehow I think they may instead concentrate on new content for new zones.. 

Nonsense, Tabula Rasa was first in 2007 with its system of --- Dynamic Battlefields. Why is noone mentioning Tabula Rasa, which created the so-called Dynamic Events system. Dynamic Battlefields in Tabula Rasa had more consequences than DEs in GW2 - could lose base with quests, vendors and spawn points. Tabula Rasa was also the first game in which you didn't need to be grouped to get a credit for killing "quest" monster.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Tawn47

Fact is that PQs (WAR) are nothing like DEs (GW2). The only similarity is that you don't have to group to do either. There's nothing dynamic at all in PQs, there's no variation if you succeed or fail, it's always at the same places, and no scaling depending on the number of participants.

As I said, then you may as well say it's a fact that apples are like oranges, because both are fruits and are round. Or saying a Traban is the same than a Ferrari just because both are cars. It's silly.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by nationalcity

TY, but it seems many like to see through rose colored goggles when it comes to this game any criticism just doesn't cut it when were talking about the second coming.....

"Any criticism" and j"ust like WAR and Rift" are not the same thing.

Sure, there are things GW2 doesnt do as well as it should but the game have replaced 90% of the quests with DEs (and the rest with HQs and personal story but thye are far closer to quests). WAR and Rift still leads you through quests from hub to hub just like Wow or any other MMO. In GW2 you ignore that and go out and explore.

You dont have to like it, many people do love to be told what to do, and it is not a sandbox or anything but that doesnt mean it is the same thing as regular quests even if you in a DE do a lot similar things.

DEs have been done before. DEs to replace quests have not.

Originally posted by Thillian

Nonsense, Tabula Rasa was first in 2007 with its system of --- Dynamic Battlefields. Why is noone mentioning Tabula Rasa, which created the so-called Dynamic Events system. Dynamic Battlefields in Tabula Rasa had more consequences than DEs in GW2 - could lose base with quests, vendors and spawn points. Tabula Rasa was also the first game in which you didn't need to be grouped to get a credit for killing "quest" monster.

This was indeed closer to what we have in GW2 than anything done in WAR or Rift. And about consequences - in Orr, there are many spots you can lose including vendors and waypoint. You have those spots in all the other zones, but more sparsely, while in Orr it becomes a main feature.

WAR was just a joke, and rifts are just glorified mob spawners. GW2 and also indeed TR beat the crap out of those two games concerning events.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Of course they don't because in the cold light of day, the multitudinous claims that GW2 is a '[insert MMO name] clone', or that [insert game feature name] has all been 'done before' are just that - claims.

They are significantly harder to support with credible evidence than to merely type into a forum post.

To put it in poker terms - your 'call' has exposed their collective 'bluff', because their 'hands' are as empty as their 'arguements'....

Bravo!

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

The GW2 experience is definitely fresh and feels liberating, no denying that. There's a certain appeal to being able to move around the world at your own pace, in the direction you desire.

Undisputable.

The majority of vitriol directed at GW2s "originality" stems from fans claiming it has all these new features - while it clearly doesn't - not the fact that GW2 puts these features togeter in an interesting way and in ratios that weren't done before (much more "dynamic" content in relation to static content).

What you end up with is one side arguing a point the other isn't even touching. A well put together game can still have completely unoriginal parts in it.

It's like Lego. It's all bricks we've seen before, but what you build with them is up to your imagination.

P.S.: I think my post history reflects that I'm not a GW2 fanboy, in fact, quite the opposite. But credit where credit is due, etc.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

no offense  but through your talking and through your post you are only encouraging people to troll 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Of course they don't because in the cold light of day, the multitudinous claims that GW2 is a '[insert MMO name] clone', or that [insert game feature name] has all been 'done before' are just that - claims.

They are significantly harder to support with credible evidence than to merely type into a forum post.

To put it in poker terms - your 'call' has exposed their collective 'bluff', because their 'hands' are as empty as their 'arguements'....

Bravo!

Agreed lol.

Peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.