Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Star Citizen Brings Chris Roberts Back to Space Sims, MMOs

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    very impressive. however, i'll keep my money until they have a game to sell me. i hate giving money for promesis...

there is a money back option if they don´t reach the 2M Dollar goal.

Seriously, go fund the project it´s worth it, that is how things work today

And when it reaches 2 million but they never bring a game out, you get nothing back.

And no, throwing away money on empty promises is not how the world works today, or any other day.

The man turned down EA. So I'm sure he has his funding plans in check. He has a good track record of successful games to go with it...

Then again Tabula Rasa...

• MythosaeonMythosaeon Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by denshing

The man turned down EA. So I'm sure he has his funding plans in check. He has a good track record of successful games to go with it...

Yeah - and Battlecruiser 3000, Dark and Light, the orignal vision for Horizons, Stargate Worlds....semi-deep pockets and big dreams oft go astray.  The state of Rhode Island is regretting their early supporter stance - 

Then again it could be amazing...

-Myth-

• lavosslayerlavosslayer Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    very impressive. however, i'll keep my money until they have a game to sell me. i hate giving money for promesis...

there is a money back option if they don´t reach the 2M Dollar goal.

Seriously, go fund the project it´s worth it, that is how things work today

And when it reaches 2 million but they never bring a game out, you get nothing back.

And no, throwing away money on empty promises is not how the world works today, or any other day.

Tabula Rasa was Richard Garriott...

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

Just 3 names....the man who brought us Mark Hammil(Commander Blair), Malcom Mc Dowell(Admiral Tolwyn), and later on Clive Owen as Privateer, yet  space operas, immersive, pc juicing games, yes, he can have lots of paper money, because he is a gamer, he has the guts to say No to suits, that's why the gaming world will say YES to Mr. Chris Roberts....

When you have a Grandmaster you don't ask....you follow...it's like Yoda coming to earth, and suits asking him for an interview about his talents in intergalactic war conflicts.

So money grabbing, stupid suit, nose sniffing, opinion wise for just about everything,....move along....this is not another 10 year long pathetic game to release, you are looking for. 

Take your consoles, tablets, touch screen ridiculous screen softwares, and chock on them...This is Personal Desktop Computing, and the Legend is back to Defend It and push it beyond it's limits! 

3D Space Cockpits, Online Space Battles, free roaming, Privateer like by the Grandmaster of the Genre....ok....there is hope after all, at last, and substantial hope, indeed!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Not fair.

I already told this community some time ago. I want my royalties! :P

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5326108#5326108

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Averof

Just 3 names....the man who brought us Mark Hammil(Commander Blair), Malcom Mc Dowell(Admiral Tolwyn), and later on Clive Owen as Privateer, yet  space operas, immersive, pc juicing games, yes, he can have lots of paper money, because he is a gamer, he has the guts to say No to suits, that's why the gaming world will say YES to Mr. Chris Roberts....

3D Space Cockpits, Online Space Battles, free roaming, Privateer like by the Grandmaster of the Genre....ok....there is hope after all, at last, and substantial hope, indeed!

I loved Wing Commander iV!

When I saw the video earlier:  ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFSipPkusuw

The first thing I thought was... Holy Sh*t Modern Wing Commander!   That was before I even knew what it was!  This game needs to happen, it needs to be made.   

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Teala
    Damnit - just make a Freelancer Online game.   Duh!   I think most people like the old Wing Commander games, but I think many probably liked Freelancer more.   So why not do it right and just make a Freelancer game?

I don't see why it has to have the same name. If it's going to be better than freelancer then it may as well have a different name.

Freelancer online wouldn't work. It's gotta be a new game. Some of the old freelancer most popular online mods are not working any longer. The last one to die, Shattered Worlds, just yesterday. The only healthy on at the moment seems to be Discovery.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

OMG how did i miss this...

As soon as i get paid this month they will be having my money..

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

And sadly, everything the industry spits on us on the past 10 years, except some games less than a palm's fingers to mention, ain't worth a spit, really to play for more than a month.

So...i guess...we could as well let the expert do his magic, and the suits and the kiddos with big bucks to step aside for once:)

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144

Well i could be wrong but at one point in this video i saw 3 fighers attacking capital ship and they had Kilrathi iconographic. And they looked like some sort of new Straltha fighter.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Granted it's just a feature list yet, but a well thought out!

Physics affecting ships? Like "push back" weapons & shockwaves for Freespace? *** YEAH!

Manning turrets of capital ships? (like in il2) To be a gunner? *** YEAH!

Playing missions with your friends like in Freespace? *** YEAH!

Free Roaming with your friends like in Freelancer? *** YEAH!

Toolsets to create own ships and self-hostet servers like in NWN Auroratoolset? Holy *** YEAH!!!!!

Even if the game is barren with such systems in place (working) this is going to be the biggest thing i've ever looked forward too the last 10 years.

My only regret is, that i can't fund more than 200$.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Martijn1234
    omg http://backup-na.robertsspaceindustries.com/products/give-me-the-galaxy-pledge somebody have 10 mil dollars lying around?

10 grands not million.

And you don't find it the least bit troubling for them to even have the audacity to ask someone to donate $10k for something that *might* get made in the next few years? lol

I'm sorry, this is a prime example of why I write off any "upcoming" game the minute I see "Kickstarter", "pledge", "donate", etc.

I won't "pre-order" games from reputable developers/publishers, I sure as hell won't throw money at some Joe schmoe. And yes, I liked the Wing Commander and Privateer games, but this dude hasn't done squat in ten years. As far as I'm concerned, he's nobody until I see a new product released.

Why would it bother me? it is for the most dedicated fans of the genre. I have seen people spnd more obscene amount of money on most useless things. And to be fair the person who will give them 10 grands isn't going to sell his kidny for it. Rich people can do whatever they want with their money.

Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Martijn1234
    omg http://backup-na.robertsspaceindustries.com/products/give-me-the-galaxy-pledge somebody have 10 mil dollars lying around?

10 grands not million.

And you don't find it the least bit troubling for them to even have the audacity to ask someone to donate $10k for something that *might* get made in the next few years? lol

I'm sorry, this is a prime example of why I write off any "upcoming" game the minute I see "Kickstarter", "pledge", "donate", etc.

I won't "pre-order" games from reputable developers/publishers, I sure as hell won't throw money at some Joe schmoe. And yes, I liked the Wing Commander and Privateer games, but this dude hasn't done squat in ten years. As far as I'm concerned, he's nobody until I see a new product released.

I am currently playing a few games now that i have supported on kickstarter and you know what they have turned out just as awesome as they looked..

Kickstarter projects are the future of real PC gaming..

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    2014. Plenty of time to save up for a new gaming rig. Love the potential this game will have with this guy behind the wheel.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Zeymere

Am I reading that right though?  2 million dollars?

z

If they want to aim for delivering a similar experience as Wing Commander 3 and 4 with real actors and cinematics. They'll need a lot more.

Don't need cinematics, just expensive fluff that are usually only watched once, same for voice overs unless of couse they don't go for expensive actors, but hire some local thespians from colleges.  Why do you think SWTOR was such a bust, too much money spent on non essential things.

Good to see someone doing something other than fantasy.  Will look forward to this game with great anticipation.

Oh and for the person demeaning Tabula Rasa, it was a better game than a lot them out there right now, just that NCSoft pulls the plug on anything that has a whisper of decline.  

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Oh and for the person demeaning Tabula Rasa, it was a better game than a lot them out there right now, just that NCSoft pulls the plug on anything that has a whisper of decline.  

I still to this day blame ourselves, the players/fans, for the death of Tabula Rasa.

Game had so much potential for greatness.

We ruined it.

I remember the forums/chatter on the intertrons - I remember what we, the players, were asking for.

1. "We don't like the Bane invasions preventing us from turning in quests." So they took the one super unique totally cool feature of TR, the territorial capture/control WAR with the NPC Bane, and toned it down and ruined it rather than focusing 100% on that feature for a NEW, innovative, revolutionary PvE experience.

2. "We don't like how everyone is human." Queue add in of stupid alien/hybrid races that ruined the game's aesthetic and "humanity versus extinction" lore.

3. "Not enough PvP WTF add more!"

etc. I could go on.

We took a unique, potentially great sci-fi MMO with what could have been revolutionary PvE half a decade ahead of it's time, and turned it into yet another WoW-clone focused on quest hubs, instanced dungeons/raids, and pointless PvP.

Thanks MMO playerbase. Thanks!

My one biggest hope for Chris Roberts and Star Citizen is that he doens't listen to anyone but his own team during development. We, the fan, are generally retarded.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Wow I am torn between the wingnut package or the Lancer ship package.  I want to do both have high end combat and do exploration.

WEll if these guys pull this off I will be a happy camper.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Zeymere

Am I reading that right though?  2 million dollars?

z

If they want to aim for delivering a similar experience as Wing Commander 3 and 4 with real actors and cinematics. They'll need a lot more.

Don't need cinematics, just expensive fluff that are usually only watched once, same for voice overs unless of couse they don't go for expensive actors, but hire some local thespians from colleges.  Why do you think SWTOR was such a bust, too much money spent on non essential things.

The cinematics are for the single player game.. they added so much to the old wing commander series.. its somthing they need and thats missing from a lot of single player games these days.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    A space sim. Great :), I been waiting for a good space sim for years.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

I dunno. He did make the Wing Commander games and Freelancer...

But he also did the Wing Commander movie...

Hmm, gotta think about this one.

Beat me to it...   image

I'll bless anything he does, as long as it's a game.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

I dunno. He did make the Wing Commander games and Freelancer...

But he also did the Wing Commander movie...

Hmm, gotta think about this one.

Beat me to it...   image

I'll bless anything he does, as long as it's a game.

Good thing he is making a new game, and not a new movie then ;)

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

was the movie that bad, i must admit i never watched it.. think ill try and find it tonight...
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    You know if the current series don't work maybe a reboot of the others is in order.  Played all the wing commanders and privateer, all were epic.  Hopefully this will impact the current game in the same way!
  • Druid_UKDruid_UK Member Posts: 58
    OMFG !!! - I'm starting saving for a new PC right now for this. Reservation made.

-----
    Pay-to-Win / F2P will be the death of real gaming, Boycott it !!

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

There is still hope for pc gaming.

If all turn as he says this game will be the best game ever created.

If they add ground combat as well then i dont see any other game beating it.