Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 & TSW Metacritic user scores.

1235»

Comments

• ippyippy boston, MAPosts: 4Member

Theres a few things that were evident after the beta weekends for TSW.

First, it was pretty unpolished.

Second, you were going to screw up your points and spend an inordinate time running around swapping in and out of quests until you figured out the system.

Third, the whole tri-faction thing but with no real conflict thing was bewildering.

Finally, it was massively obvious that this was a niche game and a slow burner. 

So i had a bit of time and avoided buying it on release. 

Ive just come back to the game and im honestly in love with it. PVP is rubbish. Lets get this out of the way immediately. Theres no question that there is serious possibilities if something breaks out, but no one seems to want to pvp, so its just cap trading in fusang with the other 2 or 3 people on your faction who bother to show up. In their defence though theyve come to realise this was a bit of a glaring misjudgement and are trying to make it more integral to the game. 

There are problems with the engine still (plenty of lock ups on my computer with dx11 running or when i put it in high settings). 

Both of these are disappointing of course. But they arent game destroying for me. (However, I dunno if i could be playing a game after i finish the main storyline without some kind of world pvp element. For now though, its fine, Ive got the whole place to explore so they have time.) 

The quests are great fun, and the sheer attempt at diversifying the way you look at questing is outstandingly good fun. 

Im genuinely enjoying the game at the moment. It seems to have so much potential for delivering the game many of us are kind of looking for. Id put it more in the EVE category though than the wow, swtor or even GW2 category. Not sure why funcom got it in their heads that it was going to appeal to a mainstream audience. The game is niche, its brilliant fun, and it appeals to me in ways that GW2 never likely will.

On the horizon, the state of the game for september (released er, yesterday), had some really exciting anouncements so its good to see that even with the scaling back they have some fun and progressive ideas they want to keep pushing. Its not raid or die, and its not pvping for the sake of getting better gear to run the same battlegrounds over and over, but seems to be trying to add a little something to everyone, so im kinda happy to see how the game progresses over the next few months. 

If i was reviewing it id say its a fun, and interesting game. It feels accomplished and fulfilling and also has some great quirky ideas and innovations to the whole storytelling part of the world. If youre the kind of person that likes reading the lore, you can really sink your teeth into this game. It also has some serious potential and so far seems to have avenues to rewardplyers (through cosmetics) that give it a way out  the "upgrade" grind and endless stat inflation (leading to massive gulfs between new players at end game and older players).

On teh flip, it still feels more than a little unstable and its pvp is non existent. I cant even comment about the combat because im two shot pretty much the second i step in fusang at the moment :) 

Overall its a game that deserves to have a lot more people playing it just because i honestly think theyd enjoy it. 

• gwei1984gwei1984 GrazPosts: 375Member Uncommon
    Why the hell do you need to start such a topic? I love TSW and think its a great game, but stop those damn comparisons to GW2.  /facepalm

Hodor!

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    We're still talking about GW2?  That game is so last month.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Randayn

Have you read the reviews for TSW?  Even MMORPG.COM didn't play the game at length before reviewing.  If you've played TSW and then went and read critic reviews (cept for maybe 1 or 2 no name reviews) it was blatantly obvious that the critics might have played the game for all of 2-6 hours, only doing the first dungeon.  The pictures they included in their reviews were pictures that were around prior to closed beta starting.  I believe one even commented on the fact that the ENTIRE game world has mob density issues...that's actually only true in Blue Mountain and a small part of the area before that...and they actually fixed the mob density issue there about a week into launch if I remember correctly.

Critics have 0 credibility anymore....I remember sitting around for 2 months waiting for reviews of MMORPG's that just launched because the critics actually played through the game before commenting...now most don't even download it...

They played it for a month, so did IGN. You just have to accept that your opinion of the game isnt consistent with the majority of gamers.

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Marion, IAPosts: 92Member

For the time I played TSW, I quite enjoyed it. The need to move about as you fight really works with my style. Some of the quests are innovative, and I appreciated that some quests could be repeated. More than anything, I liked that I never once encountered an elfe, orc, or dragon. To me, TSW felt original. The one initial downside was that uniqueness in character creation totally sucked.

The main thing that caused me to stop playing TSW is I'm sick to death of carrot and stick themeparks. While I was playing, TSW's economy was nonexistant and the game's weird "crafting" system just doesn't cut the mustard for me. And, running about searching for lore does not make a sufficient alternative to doing quests.

Much like SWTOR and most other themeparks these days, if you're not in the mood for combat or doing quests, there's just nothing in the TSW for you to do.

One last shot: for me (and I make no broadbrush claims about the real merit of this or that game), TSW is much better than GW2. I played GW2 only for a few hours before I'd had enough of it.

Developers, please please please give us games that rely as much on our brains as the twitchiness of our trigger fingers.

1235»