Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see yourself playing GW2 past 2012?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Elikal

GAMES

WITHOUT

SANDBOX

ELEMENTS

HAVE

NO

LONGEVITY.

When will they get this into their thick skulls?

SPEAKING

IN

ABSOLUTES

WILL 

PROVE 

YOU

WRONG

SOONER

OR

LATER

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by fenistil

Already stopped playing.   I bought GW2 cause was intrigued of their b2p model and how it affect game design and gameplay + was intrigued with DE system and it's hype.

For me it does not have lonevity.  Exploration is "completing map on 100% and uncovering all points like 18/18" which totaly is not like virtual world for me at all.     DE's are not what I hoped. They play role of quests and there are plenty of them and on short timer,  frequently I was seeing one event 5+ times when roaming / gathering on area.   I thought they would be much rarer events that will impact area they take place for long hours, days and if few selected ones maybe even longer.

Don't really like combat, but that's personal preference.   Heavy zoning also put me off quite a bit.  Also I am not into arenas much, so overally meh - first mmorpg I bought in 1,5 year and I've stopped playing after less than 40 hours according to /age.

Just not my type of mmorpg, totally not.  For those who like it is propably nice as it have some nice things (like size of cities, NPC walking, etc).    

In matter on longevity this game for me is very weak.

If that's the way you were approaching exploration, sorry, but that's your fault. I'll look at the map from time to time, to make sure I didn't miss something in the part of the zone I've been exploring, but exploration has been about much more than collecting the marked PoIs, waypoints, skill points and vistas. I've spent 8-10 hours exploring a zone and still found things I missed on subsequent visits. The game is a true explorers MMO and not just because there is a structured system to reward and explorers checklist.

I now have 440 hours logged since the game went live and my most widely traveled character only has 65% world exploration complete and there are still zones I haven't been to with any character. I'm also constantly finding things in the environment I missed before and discovering DEs I haven't seen while passing through the zones before.

As to the DEs, yeah, there are some that repeat fairly often. Some may be on a timer, others are on a trigger and though there may be a cooldown on the trigger, if people keeping finding the trigger, you'll see the DE more than once if you spend time in an area. However, there are DEs that occur on a much longer time cycle or have triggers that are highly conditional, which limits their potential frequency. No offence, but 40 hours is barely enough time to get your feet wet in this game. Did you ever stop to think that there might indeed be rare and long interval DEs you just haven't played enough to experience yet? You own it, there is no sub. I'd suggest you give the game another shot sometime.

The game has several hundred hours of quality content and I know I will easily get at least 1,000 hours from the PvE world space and content that launched with the game, which is a pleasant development in a genre where most developers seem to think that 80 hours of pre-end game raid content is some how acceptable for an MMO.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Should have been a "i'm just here to bash the game" option.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

So that 27% who say they've already stopped....

How many are just Haters and have never even played the game or have no intentions. they just want to slant the poll?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Because the game has no subscription, I can't say I quit forever, but I've temporarily stopped playing. I'm just not having any fun in GW2. I like the look of the world and exploring, but it's not enough to keep me playing. I need REAL profession/class progression. Combat just got way to boring after you got used to your 1-5 skills, and the utility spells just weren't needed enough in common play, so earning them over time didn't matter as much. 

I felt like there was little to no community on the Jade Quarry server. Anytime I said hello or asked a question in /map chat, no one ever responded. Maybe higher level zones are more active, but my characters ranged from teens to lvl 40. In WvWvW, where you expect a lot of communication, no one ever responded to my questions or my suggestions.

Right now, I'm playing Mists of Pandaria. The Monk class is kind of fun, definitely different. Pet Battles are addicting, and probably one of the better features introduced the the genre as a side activity. It's nice being able to jump into dungeons whenever I was, without waiting too long for a group. In GW2, I either couldn't find a group due to my playtimes, or it'd take a long time, even with me forming the group. Part of this has to do with the chat lockout. If you type "LFM for X Dungeon" a few times, even split up amongst 5 minutes, you're locked out of chat several minutes after that. You don't have that problem in other games. 

I've also never complained about MMORPG's having the holy trinity. However, playing GW2 made me miss it. GW2 group composition was not intuitive and felt chaotic. While I wouldn't mind an improvement to the holy trinity or something different, GW2's solution isn't what I'm looking for. 

WvWvW also wasn't nearly as fun as DAoC, in fact, it wasn't any fun at all. It was pretty much be max level with good gear, or go home, because if you're not ranged you don't have much to do. If you get too close, you get focused and insta killed, and the long run back due to the long travel times made it less likely you were to want to engage, which made the entire experience even more boring. 

GW2 isn't a bad game and I'll likely return from time to time as I get bored with other things, but it's not exactly what I was hoping or looking for in a long term MMORPG. 

• GamerToonsGamerToons Member Posts: 30

Oh yeah for sure. I should be playing this game for a long time.

Easily the best MMO on the market. Most people that like games in general love this game.

I see a lot of negative comments here in these forums, but in the real world among friends and coworkers... they all love it.

The world is still full of people playing.

The game is just good. If it was a 60 console title people would say the same thing.

Ohh and where are all those Pay to Win haters? Where did those guys go?

Probably the same people above who are claiming they already got a refund.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by coretex666
    So much for the industry changer

Well you cant change ppl and some ppl simply prefer forum wars than games :P

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

[mod edit]

What are your thoughts on the topic and do you agree/disagree? Is GW2 not what you expected or do you think it's the greatest thing ever? Don't forget to vote!

Essentially you would be happy if gw2 would meet its doom? Who is next? Or maybe better to ask who is not if any?

What good could come from this your inquiry?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by nate1980

Because the game has no subscription, I can't say I quit forever, but I've temporarily stopped playing. I'm just not having any fun in GW2. I like the look of the world and exploring, but it's not enough to keep me playing. I need REAL profession/class progression. Combat just got way to boring after you got used to your 1-5 skills, and the utility spells just weren't needed enough in common play, so earning them over time didn't matter as much. 

I felt like there was little to no community on the Jade Quarry server. Anytime I said hello or asked a question in /map chat, no one ever responded. Maybe higher level zones are more active, but my characters ranged from teens to lvl 40. In WvWvW, where you expect a lot of communication, no one ever responded to my questions or my suggestions.

Right now, I'm playing Mists of Pandaria. The Monk class is kind of fun, definitely different. Pet Battles are addicting, and probably one of the better features introduced the the genre as a side activity. It's nice being able to jump into dungeons whenever I was, without waiting too long for a group. In GW2, I either couldn't find a group due to my playtimes, or it'd take a long time, even with me forming the group. Part of this has to do with the chat lockout. If you type "LFM for X Dungeon" a few times, even split up amongst 5 minutes, you're locked out of chat several minutes after that. You don't have that problem in other games. 

I've also never complained about MMORPG's having the holy trinity. However, playing GW2 made me miss it. GW2 group composition was not intuitive and felt chaotic. While I wouldn't mind an improvement to the holy trinity or something different, GW2's solution isn't what I'm looking for. 

WvWvW also wasn't nearly as fun as DAoC, in fact, it wasn't any fun at all. It was pretty much be max level with good gear, or go home, because if you're not ranged you don't have much to do. If you get too close, you get focused and insta killed, and the long run back due to the long travel times made it less likely you were to want to engage, which made the entire experience even more boring. 

GW2 isn't a bad game and I'll likely return from time to time as I get bored with other things, but it's not exactly what I was hoping or looking for in a long term MMORPG. 

Nate, sorry to bug ya, but the main reason you're not getting much response in WvW is that everyone is in the JQ TS3 server there. It's pretty much voice comms dominant, and the voice comms are quite active.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Haven't logged into the game in a while.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by fenistil

Already stopped playing.   I bought GW2 cause was intrigued of their b2p model and how it affect game design and gameplay + was intrigued with DE system and it's hype.

For me it does not have lonevity.  Exploration is "completing map on 100% and uncovering all points like 18/18" which totaly is not like virtual world for me at all.     DE's are not what I hoped. They play role of quests and there are plenty of them and on short timer,  frequently I was seeing one event 5+ times when roaming / gathering on area.   I thought they would be much rarer events that will impact area they take place for long hours, days and if few selected ones maybe even longer.

Don't really like combat, but that's personal preference.   Heavy zoning also put me off quite a bit.  Also I am not into arenas much, so overally meh - first mmorpg I bought in 1,5 year and I've stopped playing after less than 40 hours according to /age.

Just not my type of mmorpg, totally not.  For those who like it is propably nice as it have some nice things (like size of cities, NPC walking, etc).    

In matter on longevity this game for me is very weak.

If that's the way you were approaching exploration, sorry, but that's your fault. I'll look at the map from time to time, to make sure I didn't miss something in the part of the zone I've been exploring, but exploration has been about much more than collecting the marked PoIs, waypoints, skill points and vistas. I've spent 8-10 hours exploring a zone and still found things I missed on subsequent visits. The game is a true explorers MMO and not just because there is a structured system to reward and explorers checklist.

I now have 440 hours logged since the game went live and my most widely traveled character only has 65% world exploration complete and there are still zones I haven't been to with any character. I'm also constantly finding things in the environment I missed before and discovering DEs I haven't seen while passing through the zones before.

As to the DEs, yeah, there are some that repeat fairly often. Some may be on a timer, others are on a trigger and though there may be a cooldown on the trigger, if people keeping finding the trigger, you'll see the DE more than once if you spend time in an area. However, there are DEs that occur on a much longer time cycle or have triggers that are highly conditional, which limits their potential frequency. No offence, but 40 hours is barely enough time to get your feet wet in this game. Did you ever stop to think that there might indeed be rare and long interval DEs you just haven't played enough to experience yet? You own it, there is no sub. I'd suggest you give the game another shot sometime.

The game has several hundred hours of quality content and I know I will easily get at least 1,000 hours from the PvE world space and content that launched with the game, which is a pleasant development in a genre where most developers seem to think that 80 hours of pre-end game raid content is some how acceptable for an MMO.

Thing either I was not clear enough, you misunderstood me or you reject my reasoning.

I don't like structured games and structured reward systems. 

Of course every single game is strucutred in some way, but there are ones more and less structured. Also some games visualize structuring alot and make an another layer of gameplay out of it and those which keep thinngs as secret and in some way make this as another layer of gameplay as well.

So I did not like exploring not because there was not enough objects or places to find or because maps are too small.

I did not like it because I very much dislike very 'gamey' feel that combination of zoned maps and structured reward system gives.  It is purely subjective personal thing.

Exploration in mmprpg's for me was fun in games that feel like a virtual world and that this world have to be dangerous, not only lore wise but gameplay wise and that exploring I can stumble upon unique practical things (rare mobs, rare mats, unique place to build house, some fun things, great scenery and dangrous wild places).  Also for me to exploring be worthwhile game has to offer next to no hand-holding and very minimal amount of markers.

Basically I want to be one of pioneers or adventurer  in harsh unknown world rather than completionist. 

It is ok if you don't agree with my arguments or it is even ok if you don't get my reasoning because you clearly enjoy exploring in GW2.   

GW2 exploring is way too much structured, completionist driven and does not give enough incentive to do it other than finding nice looking places and giving you some xp and sometimes chest with some generic reward.

Too much game, not enouhg virrutal world for me.   It was my fault though. I should do much more through research and not give in to hype and marketting.

Have fun playing in GW2.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Volkon

Nate, sorry to bug ya, but the main reason you're not getting much response in WvW is that everyone is in the JQ TS3 server there. It's pretty much voice comms dominant, and the voice comms are quite active.

The TS server I was on for Jade Quarry had some dude spazzing out because people weren't doing things right.  He was literally about to have a nervous breakdown.  Although I'm sure he's played WvWvW a lot, I doubt everyone in vent had.  I'd only dabbled a bit and tried to follow him, but was really turned off by his raging.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I'm still rather old school. I really don't like, rather loathe voice communication. People talk over each other, and some people have those voices that are annoying to hear. I still prefer old school communication, where everyone knew how to type still. The only time I'll use Voice Comm is when/if I raid or if I got competitive in PvP in the e-sport kind of way.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

I'm still rather old school. I really don't like, rather loathe voice communication. People talk over each other, and some people have those voices that are annoying to hear. I still prefer old school communication, where everyone knew how to type still. The only time I'll use Voice Comm is when/if I raid or if I got competitive in PvP in the e-sport kind of way.

Jade quarry is a competitive WvW server. If you dont want to experience that then change server to one that is more inbetween. In crystal desert the chat is always flowing last time i checked.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    People forget, ANet was the fastest with GW expansions, they had 2 within 1.5 years. Next to that, they've always been spot-on with other content and their events were second to none. If they can have a sortlike speedy progression with GW2, then it has quite a lot to offer past 2012.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

It's been quite some time since I was here.

I said way back when, I would play both TOR and GW2.

I have since quit playing both.  Including betas, I played TOR for a much longer period.  My guild and friends stayed in TOR for a mostly longer period.

I did not hate GW2 at all. I had been looking forward to it for such a long time.  It's just...bland.  The PvE combat seems more about mashing anything not on cooldown rather than waiting to use things, even in the "hardcore explore mode" dungeons.  The PvP is fun, no doubt.  That will be the only thing that keeps me playing every once in a while.

Honestly, I wouldn't say it was a dissappointment, just that it was...pretty meh...as the game went on.  No LFG, no dungeon finder, bugged dungeons/zoning, the game felt forced on me as I played the PvE.  The PvP was quite good and I am looking forward to the changes they mentioned.

I do plan on playing TOR again (I quit because of the summer steam sale, actually since I bought a bunch of games cheap ;p).  Im sure I will kick up GW2 for the PvP now and than, only to quit because no one wants someone who is only rank 10 or so three months from now.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    People forget, ANet was the fastest with GW expansions, they had 2 within 1.5 years. Next to that, they've always been spot-on with other content and their events were second to none. If they can have a sortlike speedy progression with GW2, then it has quite a lot to offer past 2012.

Kind of a a non-shock, though.  I would expect ArenaNet to capitalize on potential revenue with their B2P game format by continually investing in new sources of revenue - especially to help compensate for a lack of subscription.  B2P games in this sense, are only temporarily "free" after purchase, unless you never upgrade of course.  Not upgrading usually leaves legacy players in the dust though, because of accelerated equipment upgrades and mudflation (basic mats start costing huge amounts in an AH / trading post).

It would likely still be less expensive for customers to buy an x-pac every 6 months ($40-$60), as opposed to a $80-$90 subscription.  This part I don't think has anyone concerned.  But issues like presented in this thread should be addressed and the existing game should be enhanced with a followup expansion.  More of the same game won't cut it .. Player housing like in SWG, c'mon.... more interaction and information availability to players ..  more emotes .. a better feeling of progress?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Mike87Mike87 Member Posts: 2

Honestly, I voted longer than a year, in hopes that they step it up a few notches concerning the entertainment post level 75.....

Another thing making me hate this game is, Legendary weapons!! They are way too hard to get, I mean come on, anyone else seen what it takes to get just one Legendary weapon?????? -__-

I was a Guild Wars fanboy, not so much anymore...... But for the amount of money I paid, I highly doubt there is a better MMO RPG out there....???

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Elikal

SANDBOX

GAMES

HAVE

NO LONGEVITY 

FOR

NEW

PLAYERS

When will sandbox players realize this and notice the reason games like Minecraft have become successful is in part due to the fact its quite easy for a fresh start on a new server where one player doesn't hold all the power. Sandbox leaves a massive gaping hole where a few gain power early, leaving the rest high and dry with new players having very little chance to do anything worthwild, particularly on their own.

How can you say they offer no longevity for new players on the one hand and then insinuate it would take new players a long time to reach the apex of the game on the other?

The fact of the matter is many want to be "teh bad ass" within three weeks flat, without the need for, or to have to via against, other players. Games which offer the chance for everyone to be faux top dogs within a multiplayer environment provide that.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Mike87

Honestly, I voted longer than a year, in hopes that they step it up a few notches concerning the entertainment post level 75.....

Another thing making me hate this game is, Legendary weapons!! They are way too hard to get, I mean come on, anyone else seen what it takes to get just one Legendary weapon?????? -__-

I was a Guild Wars fanboy, not so much anymore...... But for the amount of money I paid, I highly doubt there is a better MMO RPG out there....???

I could only hope that there might (one day) be an actual reason to obtain legendary weapons other than new item pixels.  Maybe even if the items had a clicky component to do something non-competitive, like make it rain over you.  Or a passive competitive element to teleport you to safety, even during combat, once every X hours, etc. ...

I can't get on board though to players wanting every little detail a game can offer with the least effort, even if legendaries don't interest me.  For instance, Blizzards obsession with making the game more accessible kind of killed longevity for me.  There should always be some stuff in an MMO that are just flat out hard or time consuming to get.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

How many are just Haters and have never even played the game or have no intentions. they just want to slant the poll?

Good point...next question...

So that 47% who say they'll play for over a year...

How many are just fanboys that blindly defend the game because they can't stand it when someone doesn't drool over what they enjoy? They just want to slant the poll?

See how that works?

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Good point...next question...

So that 47% who say they'll play for over a year...

How many are just fanboys that blindly defend the game because they can't stand it when someone doesn't drool over what they enjoy? They just want to slant the poll?

See how that works?

the difference is that those fanboys as you call them are most likely still playing the game so they are relevant, while the haters who havent even touched the game are not

See how that works?

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I played City of Heroes for 4+ years, WoW for 3+, LotRO for 3+, Aion and FFXIV for about a year. I expect GW2 to keep me entertained for at least as long as Aion and FFXIV, probably closer to WoW/LotRO.