Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Mobile Authenticator is here!

carbine89carbine89 Member UncommonPosts: 2

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Beta-Feature-Mobile-Two-Factor-Authentication

Still in beta though but glad it's finally here.

As part of our ongoing commitment to security in Guild Wars 2, I am pleased to announce that we are making a mobile two-factor authentication solution available for beta testing, effective immediately.

Mobile two-factor authentication is an alternative means of securing your Guild Wars 2 account, and like e-mail authentication, is optional but strongly encouraged. Rather than sending you an e-mail when unauthorized login attempts occur, the game (or any of our online web sites) will prompt you for a six-digit number any time you log in to a Mobile Authenticator-protected account. Using a freely available app on three major smartphone platforms – iOS, Android, and Windows Phone – you can obtain the correct six-digit number unique to your account. These numbers change every 30 seconds and can only be used once; this ensures that without your mobile device, an attacker would not be able to compromise your Guild Wars 2 account.

Please be advised that this feature is currently in beta and we are actively working to get it up to our standards of quality. Use of this feature should be considered “at your own risk” until we have completed the beta phase. We have already identified two major improvements to the feature that we will complete before releasing this system for general use:

• To increase security of your account, unlinking the Mobile Authenticator will require additional six-digit codes.
  • We will be introducing an option to “remember my current network” so that you will not have to authenticate every login from trusted environments.

Of course we will also be interested in your feedback on this feature, and will make sure to take into account your suggestions and opinions during final development.

Comments

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49
    I love GW2 and by-virtue Anet, to pieces, but I am fairly leery of beta-testing a security feature for a program that has had its share of security issues.
  • carbine89carbine89 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Same here. I will add it to my account when it's released. Just thought it was news worthy :)
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    The IP authentication system stopped someone from getting my account. I don't need this IMO

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I used the one for WoWt. My phone is Android and I have it rooted and  Rom'd. Once I forgot and wiped my phone without removing the authinticator off of it first and it was a pain fixing my error. I'm not sure if things have changed, but since I bought the original game with a box set and didn't have my serial codes (threw out my boxes), I had to fax in a copy of my drivers license as proof to who I was and, and had to fill out paperwork and send that as well. 

I just went back to the key-chain authenticator and hope they offer it to us in GW2.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.