Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: Wayback Wednesday - DAoC's 11th Anniversary Celebration

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com will be hosting Dark Age of Camelot developers tonight on our weekly Wayback Wednesday. During tonight's live stream, Grakulen and the DAoC devs will be giving away five 30 day time cards, three T-shirts, and a lithograph. Be sure to join us in the MMORPG.com live stream channel!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Shame this game never  got revamped and brought upto date with a new ui and graphics
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Yeah, i find it more difficult to play the older games because of the dated graphics, even if in my opinion, the gameplay of these older games is way superior of what we see today.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    It is still, by a large margin, the best pvp MMO ever produced.  Who knows, it might still be going strong if they had not broken it with the "Trials of Atlantis" expansion.  I still think a revamp would gain EA a really decent income.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,805

It is interesting to compare the complexity of these early games to the recent games. In DAOC, each class had several "spec lines", meaning complete trees of abilities. For example, the Cabalist (I miss my cabby!) can go one of three different spec lines, each with its own skills and progression.

In today's MMO's, that would be more than three characters' worth of abilities.

It reminds me of American coffee: it looks brown, it's made from vegetable matter, so it's called coffee. The "creamer" is light color, and makes your "coffee" look lighter, but it has nothing to do with actual "cream", which is a dairy product.

We seem willing to accept things that appear to be the real thing, without it actually being the thing it is advertised as.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    DAOC 2 please.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• hostile17hostile17 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I played DAoC recently and found there are still enough players out there to make it fun, especially the b.g.s. As far as graphics, they are not as old and outdated as say Everquest or Asheron's Call so it does not interfere withy my gameplay, DAoC's design has a certain look and charm to it. Also, everytime one of these posts go up there are requests for a sequel but I feel that there should never be a DAoC 2 because it would just take resources away from the first one, which is still going. So no DAoC 2 for me, just maintain the first one and let it live forever.
  • deedeadeedea Member Posts: 1
    The component that keeps Daoc going is the strong commumunity and the strong friendships made with in this game. Yes, there is room for improvement. But now where else will you find a game with the complexity of the game play, the stratigies involved to "win" for your realm. Not just for one person but the community as a whole. That is what keeps this game going year after year. As a veteren player, I will play til Daoc closes its doors. Long life and Happy anniversary to all. Long live Albion! 

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Dranny
    Shame this game never  got revamped and brought upto date with a new ui and graphics

At least give us subs Origins - why is it so hard for EA to allow a little fun for the subscribers of Dark Age?  Gaming used to be about fun for the common sub out there - now it's about fast cash - quick profits with a free to play promise 6 months later.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by olepi

It is interesting to compare the complexity of these early games to the recent games. In DAOC, each class had several "spec lines", meaning complete trees of abilities. For example, the Cabalist (I miss my cabby!) can go one of three different spec lines, each with its own skills and progression.

It reminds me of American coffee: it looks brown, it's made from vegetable matter, so it's called coffee. The "creamer" is light color, and makes your "coffee" look lighter, but it has nothing to do with actual "cream", which is a dairy product.

We seem willing to accept things that appear to be the real thing, without it actually being the thing it is advertised as.

Well said.

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Dranny

Amen. One of my and my wife's favorite games. Such good times playing that game.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    DAOC had the best version of large scale sandbox PvP I've seen in a MMO. This really hits home playing WvW in GW 2 which misses the mark in all sorts of ways. If they ever make DAOC F2P (no I'm not playing on one of those other servers), I'd come back in a heartbeat. But I just can't bring myself to give EA more subscription money.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• NordiqueNordique Member Posts: 14
    Im right there with ya! I love DAOC but there is no way I'm giving EA my money.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday to Gravarg my Troll Warrior too :)

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Still the best pvp game ever made, nothing will ever compare. If they would just remove Trials of Fail, and Crap Frontiers I'd go back in a heartbeat.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by olepi

Wow...smug much? Lay off my coffee you elitist jerk. And my cream is a dairy product for the record.