Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would Excite You about MMORPGs Again?

124»

Comments

• silandrilsilandril Member Posts: 25

I want all the youngsters ( those of you younger than 30 ) who play and ruined MMO's to quit...go buy Dungeons and Dragons and actually learn to roleplay. Oh, and I mean the books...those things that require reading. Play with your friends--in person. Learn to generate your own meaning using your imagination within the world's framework. Don't buy a module/adventure...

Unfortunately, until folks learn that "end game" and "questing" will never be truly fulfilling the genre is doomed to continue it's cycle. If you can't truly enjoy the game until all the quests and levels are in the rear view mirror, I have to ask...why play in the first place? Why even have those levels and quests? If you have to be lead by the nose and rely on the developers to give your play time meaning you're screwed.

The most fun that can be had in MMOs comes from roleplaying and the energy/community you build with others. You may not like it. You may not even know what it really is. Until you do and others embrace it...you'll either run from one MMO to another or sit idle waiting for more "quests" to do ( expansions/raids/whatever ).

Course, this why a world, or sandbox, is best if you want an immersive, longterm, experience.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Quirhid
    Why do people always blame the games and not themselves?
    Can you honestly say that MMOs have not changed?

As to the OP, it is a tough call for me. I can point to some vague ideas, but when it comes to specifics, I just don't know. I guess the number one thing would be a world that draws me into it. It has been a long, long while since I have felt that in a MMO.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by senadin

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmomagic/citadel-of-sorcery-mmorpg

THIS!

Seriously check the video... this is what i am trully exctied! Like i said, check the video! Maybe a small group of devs can create what hundreds of millions cant! A game that bring gameplay, story and community at the forefront.

The next big thing wont be by the big box out there....

Yep played most of the MMOs that have been created; Especially the earlier ones where they hadn't automated all the features.

CoS is a godsend lets hope it , can get funding to push past the Alpha phase. great concept and scale to the game. The Holy Trinity gone forever and NPC elements where A.I is king.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

When I look at what I play and why I play it these days, there are two answers:
    - Longterm investment in game characters and friends
    - Enjoying game content

It's the older games where I have the longterm investment, and while I level up the umpteenth character, I am kind of working on letting go of my investments. It's hard though, which is why these games still get my sub money.

Where I'm enjoying new content, it's a breath of fresh air. And if they continue to deliver new content, I'll be happy for a long time.

What would I like to see? Immersion factors: housing, deep and valuable crafting, more lore/stories with an emotional hook. I'm not an RPer and I mostly solo, though I enjoy feeling part of a greater community and often respond to requests for help/info.

Simphanatic, I hope you are tabulating the responses. Should be interesting after the thread dies down.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Simphanatic
    In truth, I don’t think any of the foregoing six are bad games; instead, I’m beginning to question if I’m simply burnt out on MMOs.

Ever notice that the typical gamer's playtime curve looks a lot like yours?

Oh, not the specific games or durations, those don't much matter.

But the heavy-played games early on, and the later games...not?

Yes yes mmorpg.com audience; what's the next response is a predictable one, general degredation of the genre, we're all doomed, the games will all suck forever and ever.

But it's difficult to convince William of Occam that the entire genre is really more likely to 'die' than a single person's interest.  And Denial is not just a river in Egypt, of course.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Think I found something that could get me exited Star Citizen

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Simphanatic
    In truth, I don’t think any of the foregoing six are bad games; instead, I’m beginning to question if I’m simply burnt out on MMOs.

Ever notice that the typical gamer's playtime curve looks a lot like yours?

Oh, not the specific games or durations, those don't much matter.

But the heavy-played games early on, and the later games...not?

Yes yes mmorpg.com audience; what's the next response is a predictable one, general degredation of the genre, we're all doomed, the games will all suck forever and ever.

But it's difficult to convince William of Occam that the entire genre is really more likely to 'die' than a single person's interest.  And Denial is not just a river in Egypt, of course.

<rolls eyes> then how do you explain how...

I play shallow WoW clones for a couple weeks/a month, but I play really good MMOs for years?

DAoC - 6 years

WoW - 8 hours

LotRO - 1 month

WAR - two weeks

Age of Conan - 3 hours 

Vanguard - 2 years

Darkfall - 3 years

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Think I found something that could get me exited Star Citizen

This

And I love Chris Robert's attitude

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Cuathon

I would ask the opposite question. Why do people give shitty games a free pass?

I would ask yet another question.  Why do people with shitty attitudes never accept personal accountability for what they experience in life, games or otherwise?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by just1opinion

I would ask the opposite question. Why do people give shitty games a free pass?

I would ask yet another question.  Why do people with shitty attitudes never accept personal accountability for what they experience in life, games or otherwise?

Because we the consumers have no control over the quality of the games being made. They have changed. Not us. That much is clear. 

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211
    Edited because its better to put trolls on your ignore list than get banned calling them stupid.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I'm still waiting for the AAA PvE/PvP balanced sandbox MMO that is able to solve the current design limitations of the MMO genre and specifically sandbox sub-genre.

I'm either going to be waiting A) forever B) for a long time.

People think there is stagnation and no new ideas in the themepark space? Every sandbox MMO is like a copy-paste of UO pre-Trammel.

Talk about lack of innovation!

Even EvE has really stopped trying to innovate and advance the genre - they are just using their playerbase to finance Dust 514 and their other projects.

Doesn't that just piss you off, I don't mind the money going to WOD but to spend it on such a total throw away effort like Dust really "grinds my gears"

Like you, I'd like to see some real advancement in the sandbox style game world, as my only real experience with one has been EVE so far.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm still waiting for the AAA PvE/PvP balanced sandbox MMO that is able to solve the current design limitations of the MMO genre and specifically sandbox sub-genre.

People think there is stagnation and no new ideas in the themepark space? Every sandbox MMO is like a copy-paste of UO pre-Trammel.

Even EvE has really stopped trying to innovate and advance the genre - they are just using their playerbase to finance Dust 514 and their other projects.

Doesn't that just piss you off, I don't mind the money going to WOD but to spend it on such a total throw away effort like Dust really "grinds my gears"

Like you, I'd like to see some real advancement in the sandbox style game world, as my only real experience with one has been EVE so far.

I thought Dust might be cool for EvE integration reasons and then they fucked it up by making it console exclusive. Are they morons?

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I thought Dust might be cool for EvE integration reasons and then they fucked it up by making it console exclusive. Are they morons?

no...they need money.