Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Rob and Dan Show Discuss The Closure of City of Heroes

In a recent episode of The Rob and Dan Show, they discussed the closure of the long standing MMO and what really was behind it, and if it actually had anything to do with City of Heroes/Villains in the first place. Listen to the latest episode by clicking right here! Also be sure to check out The Rob and Dan Show YouTube Page!

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

00:00-00:40 Intro

00:40-01:30 Discussion about Dan getting his picture taken.

01:30-02:15 Dan did a wedding. Did not do the bride. A rather humorous stumble in there :)

02:15-04:00 Rob's internet, IPv6 and Gigabits... lots of glorious gigabits

04:00-05:15 How long it takes to upload a video (and how much faster it would be with a Google Gigabit connection)

05:15-07:30 Dan found a Dune worm t-shirt and, yes, he shares a link where you can get your own.

07:30-15:40 FTL, computer room security, Borderlands 2

15:40 "Get ready with the news opener because we gotta get into the show here."

16:05-17:35 Intro

17:35-21:35 City of Heroes is shutting down

21:35-1:47:34 lots of gaming industry news from the past 6 months to present

It's lo-o-o-ong, so put it on and play it in the background while you're doing stuff. 46 minutes in so far. It's refreshing to hear a gamer discussion that isn't raging about how everything is "fail", how the latest 2 DPS change to class X has completely made them OP/useless, or how developers are incompetent/greedy/lazy/etc.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

00:00-00:40 Intro

00:40-01:30 Discussion about Dan getting his picture taken.

01:30-02:15 Dan did a wedding. Did not do the bride. A rather humorous stumble in there :)

02:15-04:00 Rob's internet, IPv6 and Gigabits... lots of glorious gigabits

04:00-05:15 How long it takes to upload a video (and how much faster it would be with a Google Gigabit connection)

05:15-07:30 Dan found a Dune worm t-shirt and, yes, he shares a link where you can get your own.

07:30-15:40 FTL, computer room security, Borderlands 2

15:40 "Get ready with the news opener because we gotta get into the show here."

16:05-17:35 Intro

17:35-21:35 City of Heroes is shutting down

21:35-1:47:34 lots of gaming industry news from the past 6 months to present

It's lo-o-o-ong, so put it on and play it in the background while you're doing stuff. 46 minutes in so far. It's refreshing to hear a gamer discussion that isn't raging about how everything is "fail", how the latest 2 DPS change to class X has completely made them OP/useless, or how developers are incompetent/greedy/lazy/etc.

So what were the supposed reasons?

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

They seem to think that CoH is being killed because of Richard Garriot's lawsuit against NCsoft. I gotta say that this notion is a new one to me. Not the lawsuit, the idea that it was responsible for offing CoH.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by CasualMaker

They seem to think that CoH is being killed because of Richard Garriot's lawsuit against NCsoft. I gotta say that this notion is a new one to me. Not the lawsuit, the idea that it was responsible for offing CoH.

Thanks for the info.  I don't know enough to even comment.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by CasualMaker

Thanks for the info.  I don't know enough to even comment.

I really can't figure where they're coming from on this one. Garriot sued and won (initally) in 2010. NCsoft appealed it and lost again, almost a year ago (Oct. 26). The idea that it had much to do with Paragon Studios being abruptly shuttered on the Labor Day weekend seems a bit absurd.