Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Lord of the Rings Online: A Guided Tour of Riders of Rohan

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Turbine developers took our own Rob Lashley on a guided tour of the Lord of the Rings Online expansion, Riders of Rohan. We have a write up and a great video to show off the expansion. Check it out!

Riders of Rohan also provides us with the typical MMO expansion staples. The level cap has been increased to 85. We see a continuation of the epic story line where the fellowship has been broken, Sam and Frodo are traveling to Mordor, Merry and Pippin are on the run from orcs, and Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn are traveling across Rohan.  Turbine has also added over 400 new quests.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Lord of the Rings Online: A Guided Tour of Riders of Rohan.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

LOTRO

One of the best hidden MMO gems ever.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Too bad its only a pay-to-win game anymore these days. I played this game since Alpha testing(and SS to prove it) and tried to stick with it through all the changes.

Unfortunately, I cannot support a game that continuously tries to get players to fork over RL money for the sake of a "good game experience" especially during these days given the state of the economy.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

LOTRO

Would you care to elaborate?

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Agree with OP.  Cannot wait till Monday.  I'll be lost in Middle Earth yet again and enjoying all this new content.  Oh, and Hytbold is awesome!  Raid loot!  Yes, take that Blizzard.  Finally an answer to soloer's wanting raid loot and there it is.  Suck on that, Warcraft! Muahahah, lol.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Agreed, RoR is a wonderful expansion and I think the players in Middle Earth will be pleased with all the new content in Rohan. Personally, I love the new music by Chance Thomas and the "wind in your hair" feeling of galloping overland on my warsteed. :)
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Czanrei

Too bad its only a pay-to-win game anymore these days. I played this game since Alpha testing(and SS to prove it) and tried to stick with it through all the changes.

Unfortunately, I cannot support a game that continuously tries to get players to fork over RL money for the sake of a "good game experience" especially during these days given the state of the economy.

There is nothing that is pay-to-win in Lotro.  Just saying something silly like that makes one wonder what game you have been playing.

Looking forward to trying this expansion.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Cant wait to mount that war-steed
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Oh look, another hype thread on LOTRO.  Still waiting for even one critical analysis of where the company has gone since announcing F2P.
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

There is nothing that is pay-to-win in Lotro.

PVMP

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,488
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

There is nothing that is pay-to-win in Lotro.

PVMP

LOL, I forgot that even existed. The percentage of the population that actually plays that is pretty small I think.

Not sure how PvMP is pay to win, seeing as how you have to be a subscriber to even play that element of LOTRO.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

It is not only about that.   This game nowadays is like mixture of mall and tolkien world.  Absolutely disgust me and I tried, I've sticked with Lord of the Store for over 7 months after transtion. It was mistake though, it was slowly sucking my once big enjoyment of this game.

Not to tell about game concept shift and introducing idiotic grinds.  Just meh...

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Not sure how PvMP is pay to win, seeing as how you have to be a subscriber to even play that element of LOTRO.

Are you even playing Lotro?  You don't have to be subscriber to play in Ettenmoors. Monster play is open for free players.

Originally posted by Freezzo

LOTRO

Would you care to elaborate?

No because it comes down to what your opinion of any game is as well as your likes and dislikes.  I like LOTRO and you may not.

The problem isn't the game, it's the developer (Turbine) and publisher (WB).

The biggest problem is that Turbine:

1) Misled customers into thinking Turbine Ppints would buy all content and then after a TP sale informed them that you could only pre-purchase OR purchase the expansion with cash until months after release.

2) Went back on promised free update cycles without an apology/explanation

3) Run their forums like nazis for years.

4) Put up a FAQ for the most recent expansion saying that people preordering the expansion would get the instance cluster for free when it was released.  They then removed this verbage without explanation until people noticed and demanded refunds.

5) Charge ridiculously high prices for expansions with far less end game content than industry standards like Rift and WOW produce.

They have some of the most loyal fans, mainly because they have a monopoly on the Middle Earth MMO scene.  But they continue to pump out smaller and smaller expansions while charging more and more.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

store bought morale pots=pay 2 win the question should be show me whats not at this point. Im really starting to believe that sapience and lotro idiot devs are posting on here to hype this garbage lol.

a more accurate description would be the best mmo example of a pay 2 win store. They win that award hands down lol.

as for mounted combat lolz 5 years to get to rohan and there just now showing this? Still find it hard to take this seriously. No new raids or anything just mounted combat lolz 

Originally posted by starwarsnut

store bought morale pots=pay 2 win the question should be show me whats not at this point. Im really starting to believe that sapience and lotro idiot devs are posting on here to hype this garbage lol.

a more accurate description would be the best mmo example of a pay 2 win store. They win that award hands down lol.

as for mounted combat lolz 5 years to get to rohan and there just now showing this? Still find it hard to take this seriously. No new raids or anything just mounted combat lolz 

Wonder what % of people PVP in a non PVP game, pretty low I bet, you seem to be really stretching P2W.  I've been playing for 10 months or so and have yet to do Creeps vs Freeps.

I find it comical to yell P2W in a PVE game because no other game has healing pots right?

• EsherdonEsherdon Member UncommonPosts: 47
    The store and design choices since F2P killed my love for this game. 

"Onward to adventure".

Wonder what % of people PVP in a non PVP game, pretty low I bet, you seem to be really stretching P2W.  I've been playing for 10 months or so and have yet to do Creeps vs Freeps.

I find it comical to yell P2W in a PVE game because no other game has healing pots right?

the difference is youve played only 10 months ive played 4 years since beta 2. When you have the ability to buy pots in the store that stack on top of your regular pots that is pay 2 win go play a free monster player youll notice instantly what im talking about. Youll find out quickly that sapience/patience are liars with there "convience not advantange" bs when your seeing multiple pots going off and your lucky get a kill. 

There's pots in other games the difference is theres no store pots that stack on top of non store pots. I.E pay 2 win.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

I am pretty much done with Turbine.

They turned into just another nickle and dime company that offers less and less for VIP (subscribers).

Expacs have become nothing but glorified questpacks.

A whole outcry was needed on the forums, before Turbine submitted to add the upcoming Rohan instance cluster to the Expansion price! /facepalm

And now... a much requested features for years is turned into a time based consumable into the cash shop, making it ridiculously expensive to use!

I am talking about the XP dissabler. A feature that games like EverQuest 2 had already build in for years free of use in the interface to enable/disable at your leasure.

It's disgusting what Turbine have become ever since they were bought by Warner Bros. /shrug

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    U cant P2W in PvE game, but LOTRO did go too far with its store.
    But I realy like the game and I like the story. Its the only game, as I already said, that managed to make killing countless boars, fun.

the difference is youve played only 10 months ive played 4 years since beta 2. When you have the ability to buy pots in the store that stack on top of your regular pots that is pay 2 win go play a free monster player youll notice instantly what im talking about. Youll find out quickly that sapience/patience are liars with there "convience not advantange" bs when your seeing multiple pots going off and your lucky get a kill. 

There's pots in other games the difference is theres no store pots that stack on top of non store pots. I.E pay 2 win.

If your worried about PvP in a PvE game your doing it wrong, once again what % would you guess play LOTRO for PvP? 

.003% ?

Bet the same people that play LOTRO for PvP play Darkfall for it's PvE.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by elocke
    Agree with OP.  Cannot wait till Monday.  I'll be lost in Middle Earth yet again and enjoying all this new content.  Oh, and Hytbold is awesome!  Raid loot!  Yes, take that Blizzard.  Finally an answer to soloer's wanting raid loot and there it is.  Suck on that, Warcraft! Muahahah, lol.

You do realize the raid loot isn't ready yet as the instance cluster isn't either.
    You get lvl85 shineys which are equal or better to lvl75 raidloot.

You are right, you will be wearing the "top" gear for a while as any [lvl75] raider. But that's just temporary till the cluster releases, since there is no lvl85 "Raid" yet.

Trying to pull of a temporary circumstance (since Turbine can't get ready in time) as a design philosophy isn't going to work out.

Another Topic: Pots are "P2W" even in raids. There's a difference in dying due to additional fire dots or just hitting an additional.-> pot.

It doesnt matter if its pvp or pve the store pots are p2w either way in or out of the moors and they stack on top of non store pots ine pvp/pve and as the above poster stated in raids. Theres store armor you can pretty much buy all your traits now  its quite discusting. Like i said its just a vrtual grocery store now.

Gw2 destroyed whats left of the pvp i was on one of the biggest pvp servers and rift/swtor/gw2 have killed off the moors due to turbines stupidity when it comes to the moors and lying about the new pvmp map all the time.

Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Are you even playing Lotro?  You don't have to be subscriber to play in Ettenmoors. Monster play is open for free players.

Doh my bad. I don't PvP in LOTRO and forgot all about that. Thanks for the reminder!

Edit: Seems like most of the complaining in this thread is coming from the PvPers.