It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Originally posted by Threatlevel0 Why reference SWG at all then? The games are total opposites in design. The only thing they have in common are the Star Wars universe. Everything in that list can be drawn from many other MMO's besides the space combat. You needed SWG to draw on for Factional PvP or multi-person mounts? All I'm saying is a lot of people really enjoyed SWG before they butchered it and tried to make it more "iconic" by changing it into WoW in space. Why pillage the tombs of some pharaoh only to steal a piece of rock? SWG wasn't built around any of these features, or remembered for them by 'SWG vets' now. The reason it's being ranked number one on Massively's MMO most in need of a ressurection isn't because of those features. ToR's fourth pillar of story collapsed on them, sadly. The things I mentioned are the things I'd wish to see in ToR. You don't reference SWG then say I can't list all the features of it that made it SWG. If you just wanted to talk about jewish shoes you don't reference the Holocaust (I'm in no way relating SWG->NGE to the holocaust...). I may not be realistic, but those are my wishes.
Agreed. Why mention SWG at all with a list like this? Hit the nail on the head.
Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.
They should just bring back Precu SWG. Maybe updated the game engine a bit though. Maybe Bioware will buy SWG since they already have a license and run it concurrently as an inducement for sub over free to play.
Originally posted by Czanrei A good read, but anything is better than SWTOR at this point. I would gladly pay a sub to play SWG again.
You and 200 more
5. Sure.. we could see that at some point
4. Seeing as this would be without any VO i have a hard time seeing it happen. Companies tend to be picky about stuff like that.
3. See above
2. This was the plan once IIRC... Would be a really good idea.
1. Yeah... as soon as they re-write the entire engine in regards to space and add a expansion worth of content... Very unlikley as it would mess with core system and if SWG have showede anything it is that you do not go in a mess with core systems after launch. (ok the last part was a big =P but it is still true. it woudl force them to re-do the entire space system and move in to territory that BW have no experience with at all.)
Now i'd love to go back and play my ID/Tailor but just because something was good in one game does not equal it being good in another game, and SWG was a lot like old painters not very well liked until it lay on it's deathbed... Then it became the best thing since oxygen. (and before anyone try.. yes i was there... and since my gametime was mostly spent being in one spot listening to people talking as they got their new hairdo and stat adjustment it gave a very intimate view of the game.. and it was not very much roses i can tell you.)
This have been a good conversation
I just want Galaxies back, preferrably with the original professions system. TOR has it's place and there are plenty of people who really enjoy it, but I don't think it fills the void where Galaxies used to be.
I wasn't a regular subscriber to Galaxies after the NGE, but every few months I'd have the itch to decorate my house, meet some new people in a cantina, explore the vast worlds on my speeder, or pilot my YT-1300 with my wife/friends on the guns. The space was my favorite part of the game and I'd spend hours there.
IMHO, there's been nothing like it since (especially the space aspect), and if they were able to bring it back, I'd be there. Sure, a ton of mistakes were made with it, but I've never found a gaming experience quite like it and I couldn't stop playing, even occasionally, no matter how upset I was with the NGE.
Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2
LoL, yeah make reverse NGE on Swtor and see how big disaster it will be.
I can only imagine limited 3 and 5 maybe become a possibility in SWTOR. These 2 seem to fit the best without needing the devs to change too many things.
1. Definately not. To me it is clear they completely underestimated the demand for JTL like spacecombat. You only have to look at how the ships are used atm. It is just a station where you press a button to load the next planet. And the current spacecombat plays as if you are playing on an arcade machine on board of your ship.
2. I guess you can argue that they are already doing this. Or that any new battleground could have more emphasis on that theme. But there is no way that it will reflect any war result in the rest of the game in an obvious way. Like occupation of a planet by the Empire or the other way around if the tides turn. So I don't see this happening on the lvl as with SWG. You won't be fighting for Tatooine occupation.
3. I see this as possible. It doesnt have to interfere with the current planets and can have its own planet or instance.
4. Another feature that would require loads of changes and additions. Something I just don't see happen anymore.
5. I see this as possible too.
One thing that I would like to see... Customizable ships. Why fly what everyone flies, Those stock light frieghters are modable. Not just spec wise but colours and appearance.
Planets with sparse questing. Tatooine should have been that. it is a back water plantet in the middle of nowhere. In SWG you could find yourself in the middle of no where and nothing.. not so much in TOR.
Truth be told .. TOR was WOW in space and not a good replacement for SWG
Looking at: The RepopulationPreordering: NonePlaying: Random Games
Originally posted by bobfish Only needs to be one point on the list... 1. Every single sandbox element from SWG!
^^ haha awesome!
Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011
Originally posted by ignore_me Originally posted by bobfish Only needs to be one point on the list... 1. Every single sandbox element from SWG!
But then you would have a NGE again... Completley changing a game to fit a specific playstyle it was not ment to have.
Gotta say...Not impressed with that list much...
1) Cities and Housing - Are you kidding me? Best single aspect of an MMO ever...
2) 360 degree Space Combat -
3) Crafting/Harvesting -
4) The Exploration/ Non-linear Planets
5) Entertainer Profs -
Feels like MMORPG.com is looking to stir some clicks by mentioning SWG in a headline.
But I'll bite.
1) Player driven economy!
2) Player cities (complete with mayoral election system)
3) Non-combat professions
4) Order 66 (get rid of the Jedi)
5) REAL space combat.
6) Exploration. The lack of exploration was what made me give up on SWTOR at lvl 25.
All said, only the powers that be would never consider these things (maybe space combat).
Can we have some good ole fashion world pvp?
Can my BH hunt some people please? (pre-cu style plz)
Sorry, any article with that title not mentioning Entertainers and Non-Combat Professions is a farce. Really Player generated content and multi passenger vehicles were more important?
People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert
Originally posted by Threatlevel0 Originally posted by Robsolf
You'd have to rewrite the whole game.
We could call it... the NGE.
I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.
Originally posted by Elikal Sorry, any article with that title not mentioning Entertainers and Non-Combat Professions is a farce. Really Player generated content and multi passenger vehicles were more important?
I tried to be realistic in my list. They aren't going to put in a Musician or Dancer class and give it a storyline from 1-50. Same for other non-combat professions. What would a dancer's storyline look like? It just doesn't fit the game.
Believe me, I considered all this when putting together the list, but they just don't fit this particular game.
Michael "MikeB" BittonCommunity ManagerTwitter: @eMikeB
It would be easier to select the things from SWTOR that you would put in SWG.
The list would be much smaller and actually possible.