Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoS Kickstarter!

Comments

• zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Sounds interesting, will have to see where this goes.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• PellagrenPellagren Member Posts: 32
    Wow, best of luck to the team with the Kickstarter effort!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

World and exploration:  Our world is so massive that no player will ever see it all, it is the full size of earth.  Twenty years after this game releases, there will still be places no person has ever seen.  So get ready to go exploring!

This is what sold me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Sovrath

World and exploration:  Our world is so massive that no player will ever see it all, it is the full size of earth.  Twenty years after this game releases, there will still be places no person has ever seen.  So get ready to go exploring!

This is what sold me.

Same.

Been following this game for a few years. It's been in the making for 8 years and fully self funded til this point.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

Enact Tools©

To control all the thousands, if not millions of NPC and Monster characters in the game, we needed an incredible game development tool set. We created the Enact Tools©. The only reason that a planet of this size has any hope of development is due to the Enact Tools©. These tools allow any Level Designer to enter the live game world, and change… anything, in real time. With the Enact Tools©, a single Level Designer can take a 100 page written quest, and create a story that will alter and adapt to the player's story. The tools can cause a rumor to spread, and grow with the telling, or cause a single fight in a bar to spread until the entire bar is in a fist fight that naturally breaks out into the street. It can build a murder mystery, or an epic quest to destroy the evil rings of power. It can pretty much build anything our writers can pen, and is all controlled with a graphical interface instead of scripting, and all done live in the running game, so there is no gap between creation and testing. A player could literally watch the game being built from inside the world (if we let them).

I'll believe this when I see it

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Been following this game for quite a few years already, glad to know they're nearing Alpha Stage. I'm still somewhat bothered by the dated graphics, but given how long they've been working on this game it's not exactly surprising so I can get over that. Looking forward to CoS and I'll take the developers' challenge and explore the whole world!

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by BethelsBoy

Enact Tools©

To control all the thousands, if not millions of NPC and Monster characters in the game, we needed an incredible game development tool set. We created the Enact Tools©. The only reason that a planet of this size has any hope of development is due to the Enact Tools©. These tools allow any Level Designer to enter the live game world, and change… anything, in real time. With the Enact Tools©, a single Level Designer can take a 100 page written quest, and create a story that will alter and adapt to the player's story. The tools can cause a rumor to spread, and grow with the telling, or cause a single fight in a bar to spread until the entire bar is in a fist fight that naturally breaks out into the street. It can build a murder mystery, or an epic quest to destroy the evil rings of power. It can pretty much build anything our writers can pen, and is all controlled with a graphical interface instead of scripting, and all done live in the running game, so there is no gap between creation and testing. A player could literally watch the game being built from inside the world (if we let them).

I'll believe this when I see it

Yeah, I'm guessing the gaming community is going to need to see more after the spoon fed stuff we've been told before.

I'm personally hopeful after following it this long, especcially that someone is actually trying something NEW for a change

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Been following this game for quite a few years already, glad to know they're nearing Alpha Stage. I'm still somewhat bothered by the dated graphics, but given how long they've been working on this game it's not exactly surprising so I can get over that. Looking forward to CoS and I'll take the developers' challenge and explore the whole world!

The head guy on their forums has said a few times that almost all of the models are place holder so that they had something to use to test with (since art is expensive).  They've said the entire NPC system is some models thrown together and the full bodies are coming after Alpha.

I'm throwing a few dollars towards it :)  even if they keep those models if the game play is good it's worth it.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Im hoping that the kickstarter money can help with the art and animations. 

very close to doing a $250 kickstart, or trying to get a friend with me to do a $500 one

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Im hoping that the kickstarter money can help with the art and animations. 

very close to doing a $250 kickstart, or trying to get a friend with me to do a $500 one

They have stated , the art is the art and a placholder at the moment. The Important focus is the gameplay and toolset as that is the bit others can't achieve.

Pretty sure the Art is one of the easiest elements......

The Design and concept are exceptional, hard to believe unless you have beeen following these guys and I for one believe what thye are trying to do and the fact that the Tools and world generation is complete.

Also with the longevity guaranteed the lifetime pass and money saved on buying the initial box set makes it a bargain if you like me , want a game to play for years.

• IzItMeOrUAllIzItMeOrUAll Member Posts: 45

Ah, finally found one of my more recent mmorpg accounts! (lost my first mmorpg account info...forgot the email an everything lol) I had checked in on this game years ago and was just thinking "Ah, would be cool if they keep going" and here we are...Their still going at it! I hope they succeed!!!

I am curious though, what will be the difference between the F2P servers and the P2P/B2P servers?  I'm Definitely going under the P2P or B2P but  I am wandering where there be something like "F2P = less land to explore? Less quests? Or some big limitations that make you go "fk...I might as well buy the game, the videos of people playing on the P2P/B2P are fkng EPIC! unlike F2P!" 

Damn, I can't wait for this game to come out, I'm going to try to scrap up some money and back them up! 

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by IzItMeOrUAll

Ah, finally found one of my more recent mmorpg accounts! (lost my first mmorpg account info...forgot the email an everything lol) I had checked in on this game years ago and was just thinking "Ah, would be cool if they keep going" and here we are...Their still going at it! I hope they succeed!!!

I am curious though, what will be the difference between the F2P servers and the P2P/B2P servers?  I'm Definitely going under the P2P or B2P but  I am wandering where there be something like "F2P = less land to explore? Less quests? Or some big limitations that make you go "fk...I might as well buy the game, the videos of people playing on the P2P/B2P are fkng EPIC! unlike F2P!" 

Damn, I can't wait for this game to come out, I'm going to try to scrap up some money and back them up! 

Hey, how goes?  Glad you found your account.   As to your question... 

The difference between P2P/B2P servers and F2P servers will be one thing, and one thing only, there will be no F2P players on P2P/B2P servers, though P2P/B2P players may go on F2P servers (so they can play with their F2P friends if they want to).  That's pretty much it.

Note: When I say no differences, I just mean that everything that is available on one server is available on the others, only the method of payment differs.

We wanted to give players the choice of how they want to pay for their game play, and not force them into any one method.  So we are just planning to offer all the main choices.  We even let you change between them if that is something you want to do.  There is a bunch of design behind how all that works, of course, but we worked it out.

Hope that answers your questions.

It is my goal to keep this bumped til 700k

Jatar, I posted on the COS forums, maybe you can answer it here for others.

Alot of people (myself included) are not into any fluff type stuff.  It seems to me the best deal you have on the KS page is the 5 lifetime 5 alphas for 1000, why does the 2500 pledge only include 8 lifetime 8 alphas?  Is the fluff really worth all that much?

I am trying to gather 3 more friends to go 200 a piece so we can do the 1000 and get our guild saved

Everything looks and sounds awesome!!!

Is there any worry about the world being to big?  May not see another person for weeks?  I like it but my friend who I already got 200 from isnt that thrilled with it

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    I do hope they go into more detail on the Kickstarter rewards, because there is a lot of fancy talk, but nothing on actual substance.

If they want people who may not of heard of the game before, having at least a brief explanation on what is so special between one Tier 1 map and the fancier one, or what the Menagerie might be and what makes it worth paying and why the free is nice, among the other things, would help a lot I'd think.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

A fool and his money are soon parted.

New scam, different name.  Dawn was the first MMO that scammed people out of their money, this was a long time ago when MMOs were new.  This is basically an updated version of the same scam.  Make it look real business like, take people's money then somehow the business people will sort of disappear.

Originally posted by koboldfodder

New scam, different name.  Dawn was the first MMO that scammed people out of their money, this was a long time ago when MMOs were new.  This is basically an updated version of the same scam.  Make it look real business like, take people's money then somehow the business people will sort of disappear.

good thing I dont worry about money.  I support a lot of projects, this looks like the first I might actually enjoy.  The other I do as investments.  I wish that option was available

• mythranda1mythranda1 Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

It is my goal to keep this bumped til 700k

Jatar, I posted on the COS forums, maybe you can answer it here for others.

Alot of people (myself included) are not into any fluff type stuff.  It seems to me the best deal you have on the KS page is the 5 lifetime 5 alphas for 1000, why does the 2500 pledge only include 8 lifetime 8 alphas?  Is the fluff really worth all that much?

I am trying to gather 3 more friends to go 200 a piece so we can do the 1000 and get our guild saved

Everything looks and sounds awesome!!!

Is there any worry about the world being to big?  May not see another person for weeks?  I like it but my friend who I already got 200 from isnt that thrilled with it

Kickstarter limits the quantity of anything you can offer in a reward to 10, so I think they couldn't put the max point there.

One of the main draws for the 2500.00 reward tier seems to be the fact that you get an in game virtual tour of the game in December of this year!

• mythranda1mythranda1 Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Cursedsei
    I do hope they go into more detail on the Kickstarter rewards, because there is a lot of fancy talk, but nothing on actual substance. If they want people who may not of heard of the game before, having at least a brief explanation on what is so special between one Tier 1 map and the fancier one, or what the Menagerie might be and what makes it worth paying and why the free is nice, among the other things, would help a lot I'd think.

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/landing_pages/kickstarter_rewards.html

• TooCrypticTooCryptic Member Posts: 7
    This is at kolboldfodder... I know Im new here.. but hasnt this game been around since like 2004 and kickstarter has only been around since 2009?  Not only that, they have a video that shows the actual game running.. kinda pointless to scam if you already makin it.. just sayin..
  • TooCrypticTooCryptic Member Posts: 7
    Is there gonna be like an faq?  my friend linked this FB to me and I checked the site.. found the dev log but thats alot to read lol.. faq would be nice since this is really first I am hearing about this game

This game is far from a scam. Please do some research before you make claims like that.

If you don't like the game then fine, but dont go around spreading it's a scam when you have no basis for it.

• PellagrenPellagren Member Posts: 32

Nice sentiment.  To be honest with you, all I hear is that you were the fool and someone scammed you out of your money.  Once bitten, twice shy...I understand that.  However, to lay down a blanket statement essentially implicating the developers of this game to fraudulent business practices when the grand total of your knowledge about them, their vision and their ethics amounts to watching a video on Kickstarter is obtuse to say the least.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Donated! I have been watching this game for years and am more then willing to help out a indie dev team with a dream.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

It's sad but I don't think this Kickstarter will reach it's goal (even with 29 days left).  700k is a very high number, especially for a game (and company) that most MMO players have likely never heard of. Using other kickstarter projects as basis, CoS should've already raised at least 75-100k  for it to have the potential to hit the 700k goal in 30 days and I don't see it happening.

MMOMagic will need to find a way to get the word out fast and generate hype or the Kickstarter will not meet it's goal and no transactions will be made, which in turn may make people less likely to pledge money in the case of another kickstarter attempt with a more realistic goal.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

It's sad but I don't think this Kickstarter will reach it's goal (even with 29 days left).  700k is a very high number, especially for a game (and company) that most MMO players have likely never heard of. Using other kickstarter projects as basis, CoS should've already raised at least 75-100k  for it to have the potential to hit the 700k goal in 30 days and I don't see it happening.

MMOMagic will need to find a way to get the word out fast and generate hype or the Kickstarter will not meet it's goal and no transactions will be made, which in turn may make people less likely to pledge money in the case of another kickstarter attempt with a more realistic goal.

Agreed. The combination of an ambitious design goal and an ambitious KS goal makes for an exceptional challenge here. The team needs a PR person that can help them sell their strengths, which they have many of. They also need to say "to market" a lot less. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre