Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see yourself playing GW2 past 2012?

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

See my theory above about bored people... image

And I agree with it completely.  A lot of people will probably look back one day and say "You know, all those hours I spent on forums hating games, I could have been enjoying one".

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Korrigan:
    I agree gw2 is most definetly not a wow clone and also caters to a different player audience than other mmos (casual pvpers / explorers)

But I don't see it as a wholly original game. It dies borrow a lot from other games, just those games aren't bloody wow and EQ yet again.

Namely
    Coh & daoc and to a lesser degree gw1 & war.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by fenistil

I do hope that mainstream market and players will accept sooner or later (even if still flaming) that there can be difftent mmorpg types that cater to (partially)difftent niches.  Maybe it will lead to creation of sub-genres in future.

That's exactly what GW2 did. ANet created an AAA quality MMORPG which is not a WoW clone, nor a clone of anything seen before (all features together of course). The fact that you, your cat, or John Doe don't like GW2 doesn't make it less true. This game broke the mold, something which was badly needed. Not saying it's the ultimate end of it all MMORPG, because I don't believe that myself, but maybe it will show the direction to other companies: you do NOT need to make a WoW clone to make a good MMORPG.

If tomorrow, someone releases an updated UO with GW2 quality graphics and scale for the world, and a sandbox gameplay similar to UO, I will possibly stop playing GW2, considering, of course, the developer doesn't screw it by turning the game into a mindless gankfest like the other failed sandboxes releases these last years. But you only live once... life is too short to live in the "tomorrow", today there is GW2, and that's what I enjoy. Future will bring whatever it brings.

What I mean is that be perpetually running after that "ideal MMORPG", you end playing no MMORPG at all. Perfection is not of this world.

Broke the mold? Really? It's not like any other game ever?

Oh, oh, oh... it broke the mold by combining things we've seen before into one game. That's the definition of "breaking the mold" here, right? So really, in theory, all I'd have to do to "break the mold" in your eyes would be to combine, say, the space combat from SWG:JTL with the massive scale of EvE with the 3 faction Frontier combat of DAoC with the DEs of GW2 with the skill progression system from UO in a AAA title.

Actually, come to think of it, I would play the shit out of that game. Point rescinded.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I do hope that mainstream market and players will accept sooner or later (even if still flaming) that there can be difftent mmorpg types that cater to (partially)difftent niches.  Maybe it will lead to creation of sub-genres in future.

That's exactly what GW2 did. ANet created an AAA quality MMORPG which is not a WoW clone, nor a clone of anything seen before (all features together of course). The fact that you, your cat, or John Doe don't like GW2 doesn't make it less true. This game broke the mold, something which was badly needed. Not saying it's the ultimate end of it all MMORPG, because I don't believe that myself, but maybe it will show the direction to other companies: you do NOT need to make a WoW clone to make a good MMORPG.

If tomorrow, someone releases an updated UO with GW2 quality graphics and scale for the world, and a sandbox gameplay similar to UO, I will possibly stop playing GW2, considering, of course, the developer doesn't screw it by turning the game into a mindless gankfest like the other failed sandboxes releases these last years. But you only live once... life is too short to live in the "tomorrow", today there is GW2, and that's what I enjoy. Future will bring whatever it brings.

What I mean is that be perpetually running after that "ideal MMORPG", you end playing no MMORPG at all. Perfection is not of this world.

UO in the ArenaNet world of Tyria! Now that would be a game. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

I started with cog turner 3 back in 1892 on Mr babbage's marvelous automatic analytical engine.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Already stopped. It's good on a technical level and has some real interesting features (both already mentioned here), it's as boring as well as well. I'm not really feeling I'm playing a MMORPG when playing GW2, which is a real sad thing :-(

http://www.pagesfromsages.com/?action=showentry&entry=1521

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by coretex666
    So much for the industry changer

If you don't think it changed the industry, I don't know what to tell you.  Every successful attempt at something different introduces new ideas for future devs, so it's definitely change.  It just can't be change that everyone likes.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I voted 6 months as I plan on leveling multiple toons to 80.  Obviously, once you hit 80 and get some gear the game ends (unless you are a PvP junky, which I'm not).  I'm hoping for 6 months it may be closer to 5 months.

I have no idea how a PvE person would play this game for a year or more.  You could level and gear every profession in under a year.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Eir_S

If you don't think it changed the industry, I don't know what to tell you.  Every successful attempt at something different introduces new ideas for future devs, so it's definitely change.  It just can't be change that everyone likes.

For it to be an industry changer, doesn't it first have to change the industry?  Since it's launch, I haven't seen anything really change.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Easily, although I simply don't have the time to play. I've had the game for almost two weeks now and my only achievement so far is a level 15 Charr Thief. Not to mention I'm on Piken Square which is an unofficial RP server so that's one more venue that will gobble up my attention away from leveling. By the time I get somewhere significant first expansion is probably going to already be out.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • EstelveaEstelvea Member Posts: 5
    Nope, I already stopped. It's the most disappointing game I've played in years.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by rygard49

Broke the mold? Really? It's not like any other game ever?

Oh, oh, oh... it broke the mold by combining things we've seen before into one game. That's the definition of "breaking the mold" here, right? So really, in theory, all I'd have to do to "break the mold" in your eyes would be to combine, say, the space combat from SWG:JTL with the massive scale of EvE with the 3 faction Frontier combat of DAoC with the DEs of GW2 with the skill progression system from UO in a AAA title.

Actually, come to think of it, I would play the shit out of that game. Point rescinded.

Yeah, combinations can create interesting games and yeah it is breaking the mold.

It is an industry changer. It's the first mmo in years that hasn't shoved in wow tropes somewhere.

It proves you don't have to copy wow to have a hit mmo.

Which is good new for you guys wanting a aaa sandbox or some rp centrist game or whatever.
  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

I have not heard or seen any industry change.  In fact how is it an industry changer when it launches with NO endgame.....  My whole guild of about 20 ppl has quit just about (they do log on some here and there maybe once a week at most) but they have gotten bored of W v W v W which is the so-called endgame because it nothing but repetitive with no real rewards/consequences at all...

Maybe some of their expansions will bring endgame - but to be honest I got a lot more playtime and enjoyment out of Rift compared to this.  This is a well polished game and I will not call it a pile of crap but in the end there was not a lot of innovation and just a lot taken from other games; sorry to say but that is what is the truth.  RvR was more fun in Warhammer compared to this W v W v W.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I like the game overall and see myself playing it for some time. I do not like the personal story and have done zero on my Ranger. I did do it on my engineer up to level 30 something then there was a jump/get blown off the wall quest and I really hate jump quests so I stopped there. I do like exploring and all the little things they put in the game.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Very interesting poll. 40% out of almost 500 have quit. Another few 5% plan on playing 3 months or less.  less than 50% plan on playing more than a year, plan being the key word. 

While if those who plan on still playing the game this time next year make it, 900k players is pretty good in this day and age. It's a drastic change from the pre-launch hype though. To be put it frank 50% of the people think the game stinks, as in not worth playing. 

Looking at this, I see GW2 being around 600k active users by this time next year.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Estelvea

Anyone else think this person never even played?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

And I agree with it completely.  A lot of people will probably look back one day and say "You know, all those hours I spent on forums hating games, I could have been enjoying one".

Optimists frequently believe it's possible to 'cure' negativity.

Kind of prima facie as you follow the self-evident loop implicit in the definitions...around and around.  Anyhoo...makes my head hurt.

Can't we all just have a beer and mash some buttons?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Volkon

Well I know one thing, that person has not tried many MMO's released in the last couple years.

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by bcbully

Very interesting poll. 40% out of almost 500 have quit. Another few 5% plan on playing 3 months or less.  less than 50% plan on playing more than a year, plan being the key word. 

While if those who plan on still playing the game this time next year make it, 900k players is pretty good in this day and age. It's a drastic change from the pre-launch hype though. To be put it frank 50% of the people think the game stinks, as in not worth playing. 

Looking at this, I see GW2 being around 600k active users by this time next year.

What results did you read? The ones I saw had almost 50% planning on playing over a year. And that was with 463 votes. The already quit answer was around 26%.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Justin83x

What results did you read? The ones I saw had almost 50% planning on playing over a year. And that was with 463 votes. The already quit answer was around 26%.

41% have stopped playing, or play only when bored. 6% more think they will hang around another month or so. 5% plan on  playing 6 months to a year(4 more months) with 48% plan to play more than a year.  

So about 50% of the people think the game stinks, unless they like playing mmos for 3 months or less.

Sorry for rounding the poll up. It's 475 now btw.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Many folks need to feel like being part of the "winning tribe". Now to define what "winning" means... ;-)
    Please, oh please, tell me what to doooo.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Volkon

Well I know one thing, that person has not tried many MMO's released in the last couple years.

Or maybe he just expected more from GW2 than he got in comparison to the other mmos and as such his disappointment was greater.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

41% have stopped playing, or play only when bored. 6% more think they will hang around another month or so. 5% plan on  playing 6 months to a year(4 more months) with 48% plan to play more than a year.  

So about 50% of the people think the game stinks, unless they like playing mmos for 3 months or less.

I wonder how many people will never see or vote in your poll because they're, like, busy playing?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I stopped playing after 2 or 3 weeks.  Very tedious, soulless game.

The player retention for GW2 has been just as bad an just about any other recent game.

F2P games are "proven" bad if they don't hold a player's interest long term.  B2P (with cash shop) is no different.  It's possible to stop a sub and "go back" whenever a player wants as well.

Player longevity has long been a litmus test for whether a game is "good" or "bad".  In those terms, GW2 is just as bad as any other recent game, with poor longevity.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.