Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Sourced Mmmorpg.com Game

NitthNitth AustraliaMember Posts: 3,903 Uncommon

So with 1,875,382 forum members i'm sure there is a moderate to large percent of people that could contribute to a community driven game project.

People seem to be at a discontent with the games currently out or coming out maybe this is a good way to solve that problem?

I would speculate that hardest problem would be getting people to agree on a common game concept lmao :)

What do you think? would it work? is it possible?

Edit:
Just to clarify, Im talking about a open sourced project for the mmorpg.com community to develop / kickstart. Not open sourced mmorpg engines.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• Entris38Entris38 Somewhere, OHMember Posts: 377 Uncommon

I think it would definitely work. I have brainstormed about putting together a page getting all these people screaming for there type of mmo to get made. Showing developers we are prepared to put our money where are mouth is, pretty much proving they will have backing(interest) to make a sandbox/themepark..........or whatever

On second thought, it could be very difficult as you said, because the "wants" that could come into play will probably be unreasonable. Thanks for posting something like this, maybe it will get a big enough thread going that someone notices or starts a kickstarter type thing ...................

• NitthNitth AustraliaMember Posts: 3,903 Uncommon

I actually wonder if mmorpg.com would get behind this if it were: properly thought out and planned. Could produce alot of attention for them.

If i'm interpreting your idea correctly: An IP devised by "us" and licensed to a company via kick starter to develop? now that would be something, I believe that is unheard of currently in the industry?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember Posts: 4,505 Uncommon

There already exists an open source MMORPG +engine

http://www.planeshift.it/

• gothagotha weymouth, MAMember Posts: 1,050 Uncommon
    Plane shift tried this and it worked out rather soso.  There are a lot of the devil in the details which can derail such an ambitious project.

Originally posted by Caldrin
    There already exists an open source MMORPG +engine http://www.planeshift.it/  

edit; Yeah, Probably should of read the about section of their site before jumping the gun.

Am to interprate that you wouldn't be interested in something like that for this community?

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember Posts: 4,505 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth
      Originally posted by Caldrin
    There already exists an open source MMORPG +engine
        http://www.planeshift.it/    

edit; Yeah, Probably should of read the about section of their site before jumping the gun.

Am to interprate that you wouldn't be interested in something like that for this community?

Ah thats ok i was confused by your first post hehe :)

I have been involved with a team attmpting to make an mmorpg and know how much work is involved. I mainly worked on world design and textures,  also there was about 10 of us and it was hard enough to agree on things then haha..

Planesift has been around for quite some time and have never really managed to take off but maybe they went about it wrong..

Trying to get everyone here to work or contribute to a project sounds awesome but getting it to work would be very very hard.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairMember Posts: 7,662 Epic

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    There is also Ryzomhttp://www.ryzom.com/en/http://dev.ryzom.com/projects/ryzom/wiki

Wasnt really talking about open sourced engines, so ive updated my original post to reflect that.

Although if the community wanted to use that, or other types of middle ware that would most probably be viable.

• gordiflugordiflu BarcelonaMember Posts: 757
    I actually wonder if mmorpg.com would get behind this if it were: properly thought out and planned. Could produce alot of attention for them. If i'm interpreting your idea correctly: An IP devised by "us" and licensed to a company via kick starter to develop? now that would be something, I believe that is unheard of currently in the industry?

I am probably not the only one thinking that the IP hardly matters. We have seen many awesome IPs wasted on mediocre games or games that have deteriorated quickly.

What I think that really matters is game mechanics. Create good mechanics and then you can use them in any setup, be it scifi, sword % sorcery or anything.

I agree with some guys in this thread. The project would be impossible to manage. Now, what we could get is some sort of guideline of what the gamers in these forums would like to see in a game, or at least what the average forumite would. I am thinking on some sort of poll, or actually a bunch of polls.

How many of us would prefer skill based progression to levels? Drops from kills or only crafted items? Any crafting at all? Open PVP? Optional PVP? Instanced? Seamless? Classless? Trinity, yes or not? Tab targetting? FPS? TPS? Console portable or not? Etc etc etc.

Producing some kind of document like that would be feasable, but having it endorsed by this community with enough people to go to some developer and tell them, "well, make a game like this and see how many people would be playing it", making it happen is another matter.

• KonfessKonfess Dallas, TXMember Posts: 1,318 Uncommon
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    [edit]

[edit]

I agree with some guys in this thread. The project would be impossible to manage. Now, what we could get is some sort of guideline of what the gamers in these forums would like to see in a game, or at least what the average forumite would. I am thinking on some sort of poll, or actually a bunch of polls.

How many of us would prefer skill based progression to levels? Drops from kills or only crafted items? Any crafting at all? Open PVP? Optional PVP? Instanced? Seamless? Classless? Trinity, yes or not? Tab targetting? FPS? TPS? Console portable or not? Etc etc etc.

Producing some kind of document like that would be feasable, but having it endorsed by this community with enough people to go to some developer and tell them, "well, make a game like this and see how many people would be playing it", making it happen is another matter.

I agree a survey is required, and I have tried on occasion to collect such information. My walls of text have resulted in repeated failures. More than three sentences and the throngs turn away.

When it comes to games, make a game you would want to play. I want tab targeting, and complex crafting so my game has that. I also agree that with a strong feature base any genre will do.

Good luck.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.

• JaedorJaedor Denver, COMember Posts: 1,171 Uncommon

After reading all the various kinds of QQ on this site about mmos - both general and specific - there are a couple things I'd recommend be worked out right off the bat:

- What's your target audience?
    - Who's in charge?

1.8MM members means 1.8MM possible opinions so you'd better be organized.

Having said that, I'd bet you could get significant help and commitment from some of the regular posters if they were really excited and invested in the game concept.

Good luck!

• anemoanemo Member Posts: 1,007 Uncommon
    No one cares about an open source project till you're 90% done, unless you're the original creator(s).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAMember Posts: 14,247 Rare
    Originally posted by gordiflu    
    Now, what we could get is some sort of guideline of what the gamers in these forums would like to see in a game, or at least what the average forumite would. I am thinking on some sort of poll, or actually a bunch of polls. How many of us would prefer skill based progression to levels? Drops from kills or only crafted items? Any crafting at all? Open PVP? Optional PVP? Instanced? Seamless? Classless? Trinity, yes or not? Tab targetting? FPS? TPS? Console portable or not? Etc etc etc. Producing some kind of document like that would be feasable, but having it endorsed by this community with enough people to go to some developer and tell them, "well, make a game like this and see how many people would be playing it", making it happen is another matter.  

I'd say start there, Nitth. Do your polls, collect your information and then revisit this thread with the theme, features, etc that you plan to have. If you can get to that point, you've gotten twice as far as most "let's make a community game" threads.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WereLlamaWereLlama Lubbock, TXMember Posts: 244 Uncommon

In general all projects, including game design, involve 3 components:

Time

Quality

Cost

So, if the Cost is 0, it will require a great deal of time to reach any reasonable amount of Quality.

I have worked with volunteers on other game projects, even ones that were mostly done, and the attention span is very short.

I would argue online games require an especially large amount of un-fun monontenous work that traditionally is hard to get done by unpaid folks.  Also, whos going to tell the guy that made the Dr Evil's Dungeon that it sucks and you dont want it in the final build?

-Blitz

• AdamantineAdamantine NowhereMember Posts: 3,880 Uncommon

Actually, all you need is a bunch of people who know what they're doing and you can do projects like Linux, Libre Office and the insane amount of other Open Source Projects around.

There are a couple open source games around as well. The issue with them is that for doing a game, you need 3 programmers and douzens of artists. And open source projects usually have douzens of programmers and no artist.

• YakkinYakkin irvine, CAMember Posts: 919

Before I make my statement, quick question:

What is the highest peak number of people Online for this website? So far, the bar at the top says 112...

OH AND POST 666!

• MasterSimMasterSim Cantley, QCMember Posts: 5

Those open sourced game engines are outdated... we could use some modules from each to save time and energy but creating a new game engine seem inevitable...

I was actually looking for an engineer team to create an optimized, up-to-date, state-of-the-art game engine:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5358141/thread/367451#5358141

I'd be honored to fuse my thread to yours :)

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member Posts: 961 Uncommon

Bad idea, if you had 2k 3k programmers, the code is gonna be a mess, same goes for the Art, THE STYLE would be a mess...

I wish you luck but being a Dev myself, I would not work on this because of reasons stated, gamers will always disagree and teams will fight, its best to find like minded people and make a game, rather than do this, you can allow people from this site to give input and you can listen , they help that way, but to make it total open source it would be a waste of time for any one that is any good.

Thats my 2 cents.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member Posts: 961 Uncommon
    Originally posted by BlitzVF
    In general all projects, including game design, involve 3 components: Time Quality Cost So, if the Cost is 0, it will require a great deal of time to reach any reasonable amount of Quality. I have worked with volunteers on other game projects, even ones that were mostly done, and the attention span is very short. I would argue online games require an especially large amount of un-fun monontenous work that traditionally is hard to get done by unpaid folks.  Also, whos going to tell the guy that made the Dr Evil's Dungeon that it sucks and you dont want it in the final build? -Blitz  

By the way anyone in Game design that has been in it, knows this happens all the time, and you need to deal with it, thats life, at first it sucks, but trust me, I been told many times, it sucks, do better, and guess what I do better, because it helps trust me, now if they say it sucks and not why, then it doesn't help.//

Kinda like some gamers who say a game sucks and no reason why, when they  give a reason it always helps me do better, and thats what  game design is, so if they don't have a backbone, then do not make a game period, becuse that will happen alot...

PS: This game sucks, this community says that about every game, the graphics sucks, the animations sucks, I can see it now, you will never get done with this community.... They would troll themselfs.    Its a joke by the way......    Good luck