Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XCOM is pretty awesome

SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I love the game so far. It is like one of my all time favorties - Final Fantasy Tactics - except with aliens and guns. I haven't even tried mulitplayer yet, been having too much fun on single player mode so far.

Best game I bought all year! If you have a spare $50 buy it, if not at least check out the demo on steam.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Spent alot of late nights in college playing XCOM: Terror from the deep. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I love the game so far. It is like one of my all time favorties - Final Fantasy Tactics - except with aliens and guns. I haven't even tried mulitplayer yet, been having too much fun on single player mode so far.

Best game I bought all year! If you have a spare $50 buy it, if not at least check out the demo on steam.

Just installing now, was looking forward to this for a long time. I played every Xcom since a boy so I am hoping this brings back the fun factor and the nostalgia I once had with this IP.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Got to wait till friday here in the UK.  Really can't wait. Does look like it's getting favourable reviews too.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    This is my first XCOM game, which is why I compared it to tactics. If the other XCOMs are this fun I really missed out.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I used to watch a buddy of mine play the first one (not sure how many there are but this was in the 90's.

I tried the demo and really liked it so it's next on my list of "must buys".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I used to watch a buddy of mine play the first one (not sure how many there are but this was in the 90's.

There is 3 Xcoms, well now 4 I believe. Maybe Enemy Unkown is the third installment, either way, the ones in between the sequels have sucked thus far. After following the development of this one I feel they have got it right and made to play like the original.  Can't wait.... Just going to dive in shortly.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Sovrath

There is 3 Xcoms, well now 4 I believe. Maybe Enemy Unkown is the third installment, either way, the ones in between the sequels have sucked thus far. After following the development of this one I feel they have got it right and made to play like the original.  Can't wait.... Just going to dive in shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwtPptYHXQ0

I think he played the original. This is the one that I watched. wow, brings back memories.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Xcom Terror from the deep is the first, yes. ;) Spent many all nighters playing.

Xcom Terror from the deep is the first, yes. ;) Spent many all nighters playing.

Terror from the deep was the sequel to X-COM: Enemy Unknown.

Originally posted by immodium

Enemy Unkown is the one just released.............................

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48

X-COM: Enemy Unknown was the first, and my favorite game of all time

X-COM: Terror from the deep was like a cheap knock-off. OK, but not great at all.

X-COM: Apocalypse was probably even a better game than the first. If it had been the first, it would have been my favorite all-time. As it is, it's in my top ten.

There were other minor games built on the franchise, which I didn't play.

I will be watching the new X-COM to see what it is like. I got burned real bad with D3, so I am much mroe cautious buying sequels now.

Yes, but its a reimagined remake of the one released in 1994.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

The first game was known as X-Com: UFO Defense in the USA, or UFO: Enemy Unknown in Europe. The new title is (obviously) a portmanteau of the two names.

He was probably thinking of the European title though.

And yes, Terror from the Deep is the second game in the series (not counting spinoffs).

• The original X-Com is one of the greatest games ever made, and I loved that game. I'm glad to hear this one is up to par. My gaming budget is a bit tapped out at the moment so I won't be getting it for a while yet.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Yes, but its a reimagined remake of the one released in 1994.

Correct and not, both of you.

It was UFO Enemy Unknown, or just XCom.

I still love the opening scene for that game.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by mbolme

X-COM: Apocalypse was probably even a better game than the first. If it had been the first, it would have been my favorite all-time. As it is, it's in my top ten.

Yeah I agree Apocalypse is a lot more in depth than the previous 2 (you can actually control the faction politics and it affects what you get access to).

I think the problem is not a lot of people liked that one because it is getting too similar to Syndicate in some aspects (another great game).

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Just got this on Steam and am enjoying it a lot.  I somehow managed to miss the older series of games so I can't make any comparisons.  

Sigh ..... losing a good squad member is down right painful.

~Hairysun

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

all right, gang..let's get the record straight :)

first game was either titled, depending on where you lived:

UFO: Enemy Unknown or X-COM: UFO Defense (in NA)...

as for it being awesome (as the OP indicated), unfortunately half the world can't play it until Friday. but for those in NA who can, i can confirm it plays enough homage to the original while advancing it far enough forward to be one the best turn-based strategy titles to be released in recent years. while not an MMO in any sense of the word (even in multi-player), it warrants mention because it is so very good, despite some bugs (not game-breaking).

cheers and enjoy!

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Just got this on Steam and am enjoying it a lot.  I somehow managed to miss the older series of games so I can't make any comparisons.  

~Hairysun

You can purchase the older series on steam too, Package price isn't that steep £10 ish iirc

Enemy Unknown, TFTF, Apocalypse, Interceptor & Enforcer (The last one i wouldnt bother with, it wasnt very good), they have been tweaked to run in windows instead of MSDOS, but you may still need to run them through the compatability wizard.

Then theres the UFO series made by czech dev-company that werent too bad either

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Waiting for it to release later in week here. Looking forward to it. My maine xperience in this vein of games is the UFO: Aftermath, Aftershock and Afterlight trilogy from the 2000s. Loved those games. Even if they were buggy at times. It will be good to play a squad based tactical game with some fine polish after so long.
  • Should hopefully arrive in my mail tomorrow.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

~Hairysun

I lost my best heavy and support soldiers last night. I have gone back the memorial to pay my respects a couple of times already.
  • Having poured more than 30 hours in into it over the weekend I've got ot say this game is outstanding and does ruthless justice to the name X-COM. With the exception of randomly generated terrain in maps, they've kept all the major highlights of the original game and sheared away some of the tedious stuff and fixing some of the flaws.

They've also added a lot of depth to the game.

In the tactical aspect, soldiers now get perks as they rank up rather than just stat bonuses. Soldiers and aliens can now take cover in terrain, flank each other and gain height advantages (Anakin Skywalker would ragequit!) The way the cover system, perks and equipment interacts makes the tactical scene much more interesting that the original game. There's also a larger variety of mission types available to keep things interesting. Some of the "action shots" that play when you or enemies take shots at each other linger just enough to extend that "come on pleeease don't hit!" tension as that alien you didn't know about takes his reaction shot on your guy running past.

Unfortunately equipment can't be picked off the ground anymore, so if your guy with the medikit goes down, another soldier won't be able to retrieve the kit from him and use it. A minor thing perhaps, but I thought that was a cool detail in the original.

In the Geoscape there's a lot more stuff going on as well. Managing sattelite coverage, panic levels, deciding which countries to save when the aliens launch simultaneous attacks add variety to the "send interceptors then skyranger" "minigame." It seems more "gamey" than "sandboxy" in a sense, which may put some people off, but ultimately there's more going on here than in the old game.

While they now restrict the player to just one base, they also literally added more depth here as you can now dig deeper into the ground and add new sublevels to your base. There's a sort of "base Tetris" going on as your facilities become more effective when placed near similar kinds of facilities, so planning where to build your stuff becomes important.

The music of the game is incredible. It suits the atmosphere and is eerie while investigating a crash site and picking up when there's an engagement.

The game does suffer from occasional bugs. The major one I've experienced is in the large UFO maps where the roof in some areas flickers on an off very frequently. It's a cause of much frustration since you can't see what's going on, and you end up tinkering with the camera a lot to make it go away.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Classic Ironman is pretty brutal. image

I was a little put off by the demo, but it's definently a lot of fun once you're out/skip the tutorial.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Rodentofdoom

~Hairysun

You can purchase the older series on steam too, Package price isn't that steep £10 ish iirc

Enemy Unknown, TFTF, Apocalypse, Interceptor & Enforcer (The last one i wouldnt bother with, it wasnt very good), they have been tweaked to run in windows instead of MSDOS, but you may still need to run them through the compatability wizard.

Then theres the UFO series made by czech dev-company that werent too bad either

Good stuff to know, thanks. 

~Hairysun