Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Star Citizen Brings Chris Roberts Back to Space Sims, MMOs

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Announced at Austin GDC (GDC Online), Chris Roberts (Wing Commander and Privateer) unveiled plans to revitalize the space simulation game on the PC with Star Citizen. Dodging investors who only want mobile or social PC start-ups, Roberts instead is crowd-funding the project via the game's site. Read on for more details from the press release.

Star Citizen, already 12 months into production, will be launched on the PC and will include all the Chris Roberts hallmarks that fans of his games have come to expect over the years: high quality cutting-edge visuals and technology, a virtual world that is immersive and detailed, a sophisticated storyline that is wide in scope and visceral, heart-pounding space combat.

“In recent years, game designers have stopped innovating and pushing the boundaries of what you can do in this genre,” says Roberts. “I plan on bringing that kind of development mentality back into PC gaming and space sims in particular.

“There is a lot of noise out there regarding social and mobile games right now, and I think PC gamers are feeling a little left out of the mix. But the PC is still incredibly capable of presenting an experience that doesn’t take a back seat to any other platform out there, including consoles. With my game, I want PC gamers to stand up, be counted and get excited again about all the great experiences their computer can deliver.”

At GDC Online Roberts also announced a program to bring his devotees and other interested parties much closer to the development process. A crowd funding site has been posted atwww.robertsspaceindustries.com to help raise the necessary funds for completing development of the project.  “Our purpose today,” said Roberts, “is to allow our fans to join us in this process early. It will likely be another two years before the full product is ready for release, but early backers will be able to play a version of the game a year from now.

“We are taking this approach to fund-raising for several reasons,” said Roberts. “For one, this route takes the traditional game publisher out of the mix and enables us to take the millions of dollars normally used by publishers for a triple-A title and plow them right back into developing the game. Secondly, using our own crowd funding mechanism allows us to reach out to our international fans, who have been devoted followers of my games in the past. Thirdly, going direct gets us much closer to our fans and allows us to focus more on the community side, create more updates for our fans and directly interact with them as we are making the game.”

The game is being made as a "Buy-to-Play" game (akin to Guild Wars 2).  While players will be able to play in the universe for free, virtual items will be available via in-game credits to customize their ships and experience.  It's also going to be a mix of offline and online play.  The single-player version will be fully-supported with downloadable updates, while the online version will be a massive multi-player universe shaped by players' actions.  There will even be user-made content and mods.  The whole thing is really sounding like a dream come true, but Chris' team needs the funding to get the project really going forward.  

Oh, and did we mention that it'll be PC only? Darn right, it'd better be!

More information about Star Citizen can be found at www.robertsspaceindustries.com. The site's experiencing a lot of traffic right now, so head to the back-up site if that one doesn't work. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Wing Commander....

Takes me back to my old Amiga days ;)

Will be looking forward to this and I love these kind of comments from Dev's as I'm really hoping for a PC renaissance where Dev's are pushing the boundries into what our machines can achieve.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Nice........

I played the heck out the Wing Commander series.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Sounds fun
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I dunno. He did make the Wing Commander games and Freelancer...

But he also did the Wing Commander movie...

Hmm, gotta think about this one.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Nice........

I played the heck out the Wing Commander series.

Me too!

Wing Commander 3 and 4 was a real breakthrough at that time with Cinematic cutscenes and Cinematic interaction.

I played the heck out of those 2 for sure! :-)

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

Am I reading that right though?  2 million dollars?

z

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Zeymere

Am I reading that right though?  2 million dollars?

z

If they want to aim for delivering a similar experience as Wing Commander 3 and 4 with real actors and cinematics. They'll need a lot more.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The Wing Commander and Freelancer games sit very near the top in my alltime favourite PC game list. They were legends in their time.

I'll definitely drop a few euro's on this crowd-funding effort. Chris Roberts has solid credentials.

But if the game doesn't support joystick flight, I'll be wanting my money back ! :D

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

OMG Chris Roberts, my hero!

I just spent 125$ on backing the project, anything less was not an option for me as a space sim fan!

Well I so hope they reach the goal. :D

This guy just knows how to make games I want to play.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    OMG  Jesus does love me  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I can't find the words to express how excited I am about this news but if you could see me right now I am doing a manley arm pump with one arm and typing this with the other. This news kicks ass!
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I hope this goes well and sells big not only coz I loved WIng Commander 1- 3( not so much 4 and 5) back in the day but so Volition willt ake notice and make Freespace 3 and give us some storyline answers after over a decade 8P.
  • I'm very excited, but worried my machine won't be able to run it?
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    O sweet force! That video is super super awesome! My favorite game ever Wing Commander, i did spend night after night waiting for next part of that game, even now i have all my boxes. Best part--Wing Commander IV Price of Freedom! Maniac my favorite character . That was a game with real movies and romance. I will donate something and i hope to see that game one day
  • UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

You had me at Chris Roberts...

I was introduced into the world of Wing Commander when I got into the beta of Starlancer, after beta I went back and played the originals and have wished for an MMO since. I got a taste of what it might be like with Earth and Beyond but that didn't last long (thanks EA) and no MMO since has brought back that feeling for me not even Black Prophecy. While Star Citizen is not exactly an MMO (more of a hybrid) I am looking forward to it.

So you damn well bet I'm going to ignore that little voice in my head that says "wait, slow down, don't click that support button" because I already did. ^_^

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Damnit - just make a Freelancer Online game.   Duh!   I think most people like the old Wing Commander games, but I think many probably liked Freelancer more.   So why not do it right and just make a Freelancer game?
  • SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Loved Wing Commander but I really loved WC Privateer!
  • AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Teala
    Damnit - just make a Freelancer Online game.   Duh!   I think most people like the old Wing Commander games, but I think more propbably liked Freelancer more.   So why not do it right and just make a Freelancer game?

From everything I've read and seen in the video, this game will be in a totally new universe but will have the best elements from Wing Commander, Privateer and Freelancer. It sounds pretty friggin' badass if you ask me... 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yep, definitely going to donate.

Loved loved loved the PC space flight sim genre of old - Freelancer/Xwing/TieFighter/WC etc. and the often under rated Freespace.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I enjoyed Wing Commander, but if his company endorses online-bullying like CCP does, then I have better things to spend my money on. 
  • PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

I love Wing Commander

Take

My

Money

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Looks amazing.

See you in 4 years, if at all.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Teala
    Damnit - just make a Freelancer Online game.   Duh!   I think most people like the old Wing Commander games, but I think more propbably liked Freelancer more.   So why not do it right and just make a Freelancer game?

Did you watch the announcment Teala? It will be Freelancer online if that is the way you want to play it. The "Squadron 42" part is just one small part of a much bigger game. I suggest you either find a copy of the announcement and watch it or read up on what was said. I think you'll be happy you did.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I loved the old space sim games. Pretty much any game BadSpock mentioned up there, I played it for months, enjoying the hell out of it.

In fact, there was a thread a day or two ago about what Bioware could do with its space game to make it appealing, and I went on a mini-rant about the good old space sims and how disappointing it was that we were not seeing something like an X3: The MMO.

And now we hear about this? Wow, color me pleasantly shocked. :)

The fact that it's not just "military space shooter" and has other paths available is good to hear. I'm having Privateer/Elite flashbacks here.

Chris Roberts is one of those few designers I will support without batting an eye. He just has that sort of credit with me - for now.

So, count me in, and such good news! :)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     Interesting but if they really want to get that 2 million funding they should do a kickstarter, very few people will know about the unding otherwise