Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: SWG Features I’d Love to See in SWTOR

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

What are some of the features of Star Wars Galaxies we'd like to see in Star Wars: The Old Republic? Read on to find out and share your own in the comments below!

Sure, every game has mounts, and both SWG and SWTOR have vehicles, but SWG featured a solid array of multi-person vehicles that I felt really enhanced adventuring together as a party. I often like to fondly recall the one time I hitched a ride on a sand skiff with a bunch of random players coming back from Ft. Tusken in Star Wars Galaxies. It was a long trip and my speeder was blown up, so it was nice to be able to bum a ride off a couple of strangers. We even chatted the whole way back.

I doubt this sort of thing would ever be necessary in SW:TOR, but I think it’d be great fun to jump into a vehicle with a bunch of other players while adventuring. Of course, adding vehicular combat would be amazing, too.

Read more of Michael Bitton's SWG Features I’d Love to See in SWTOR.

http://images.mmorpg.com/images/newsimages/112010/swgreg1.jpg

Comments

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Have to say I was really letdown by your list...

I would of went with the focus on open world planets, open world PvP like Bounty Hunting (no instanced pvp such as battlegrounds, arena,etc) the crafting, the professions skill system, one character with the ability to untrain and train skills, no levels, player cities, reasons for players to go to buildings such as cantinas/taverns.   

But I guess everyone has their own taste.  I guess I would summarize mine under all the immersive, social aspects of SWG, rather than multi-person mounts...

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Only needs to be one point on the list...

1. Every single sandbox element from SWG!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I agree 100% with the OP.

Bioware said they wanted to hear my opinion so I wrote them an email that had some of these points. I never got a reply.

I bought the Collector's Edition as well.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

I would of went with the focus on open world planets, open world PvP like Bounty Hunting (no instanced pvp such as battlegrounds, arena,etc) the crafting, the professions skill system, one character with the ability to untrain and train skills, no levels, player cities, reasons for players to go to buildings such as cantinas/taverns.   

But I guess everyone has their own taste.  I guess I would summarize mine under all the immersive, social aspects of SWG, rather than multi-person mounts...

I'm pretty sure they were trying to be realistic; offer suggestions that might be somewhat do-able.  I could actually imagine multiplayer vehicles, for example.  provide tools for player events, etc.

Your suggestions add up to "make TOR into SWG".  Even big maps like Hoth and Tatt would never accommodate player made cities, for example.  You'd have to rewrite the whole game.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Are you sure let down is the right way to put it?

I mean if Mike were a developer telling you what he PLANNED on adding from SWG, I can see you being let down -

But Mike is just a player like you and me giving his opinion - I can see you disagreeing, but being 'let down'?

Seems like to me, under the constraints of how this game is put together, these things could actually be added. But things like player made cities or non-instanced open worlds - I'm not sure they could be feasibly added due to the games core construction.

So my opinion, is there is nothing they could put in from SWG which would make me want to play. It would be too difficult for them to change the core way the game is put together - and that is one of my central problems with the game. The formulaic, instance-heavy compartmentalized world is there forever and that is what drove me away. That and really uninspired story writing. The stories seem like it is forced to conform to the existing structure of the game rather than the storylines actually forming the game's structure. And I don't see them spending the money to re-write the aspect which supposedly would set it apart from the rest.

Originally posted by Robsolf
      You'd have to rewrite the whole game.

We could call it... the NGE.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

ALSO

love the houses so many different styles

so many decoration items

so huge storage capacity (static and mobile)

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

They could add planets for player housing. Nice big open planets.

Originally posted by Zorgo

Are you sure let down is the right way to put it?

I mean if Mike were a developer telling you what he PLANNED on adding from SWG, I can see you being let down -

But Mike is just a player like you and me giving his opinion - I can see you disagreeing, but being 'let down'?

Seems like to me, under the constraints of how this game is put together, these things could actually be added. But things like player made cities or non-instanced open worlds - I'm not sure they could be feasibly added due to the games core construction.

So my opinion, is there is nothing they could put in from SWG which would make me want to play. It would be too difficult for them to change the core way the game is put together - and that is one of my central problems with the game. The formulaic, instance-heavy compartmentalized world is there forever and that is what drove me away. That and really uninspired story writing. The stories seem like it is forced to conform to the existing structure of the game rather than the storylines actually forming the game's structure. And I don't see them spending the money to re-write the aspect which supposedly would set it apart from the rest.

Personally I'll still stand by 'let down' because I was looking for the unfeasible.  When I see "SWG features I'd love to see..." I instantly think of the things I mentioned, not multi-person vehicles.   Multi-person mounts are in WoW.   Space combat is in EvE.  The chronicle whatever it was...I don't even remember must of been after NGE or the WoW conversion of SWG.  So yes, I was let down.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I would have to say they should have modeled their game more to SWG than WOW, getting rid of the bad elements of SWG and it would have been a much better game.  Open worlds, space combat, and for that matter better graphics...the story aspect of the game is the main thing I think they did right.
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

I have an idea.  Re-open SWG (Pre-CU).  Problem solved.

(Yes, I'm well aware this will never happen.  But hey, a guy (SWG Vet) can dream can't he?)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I'm pretty sure they were trying to be realistic; offer suggestions that might be somewhat do-able.  I could actually imagine multiplayer vehicles, for example.  provide tools for player events, etc.

Your suggestions add up to "make TOR into SWG".  Even big maps like Hoth and Tatt would never accommodate player made cities, for example.  You'd have to rewrite the whole game.

Exactly.

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147

All of those on the list would be great additions!  here are a couple of other things I would love to see.

1:  A deep and meaningful crafting system.  SWG had a deep crafting system that allowed not only for many different items to bemade, but also allowed for different Crafter playstyles.  Most games out there now lump crafters all together and assume that it is just about making "stuff".  In SWG some crafters were interested in the "science" of resource quality and stats to make the best weapons or armor, while others were interested in the "art" of combining colors and styles to make awesome outfits or furniture.  Additionally, SWG allowed crafters to setup shops that they could decorate to advertise wares and utilize a "vendor" to store and sell items. 

I knew players who spent most, or even all, of their playtime crafting and running their shops, and they wee HAPPY.  Happy players = $.  I have never played a game since where I knew so many players who played primarily to craft.  And crafters were more likely to stay with the game (ie stay subbed) because if they did not keep up on their shops they would lose a ton of ietms and work.

2:  Player housing with freedom to decorate, in a open area/zone where other players can see it.  While it wasn't a perfect system, SWG allowed players to put houses on most of the planets ingame.  There were a ton of different styles for the houses, and you had TONS of decorating potential.  Players could create bars, shops, zoos, military bases...there were tons of possibilities.

This kind of housing also gave players a personal connection to the game.  Now while I understand that TOR was not designed to allow for houses to be placed anywhere, that doesn't stop them from creating a whole new zone that houses could be placed in.  Aion did this and did it pretty well (well the concept anyway.  The housing auction system not so much).

3:  Player cities.  This goes along with #2 pretty well.  Player cities gave players control over areas and allowed them to elect mayors and build perks.  it also gave guilds a common goal and helped to build a sense of community.  Guilds could use features like this, because unfortunatly they have become nothing more than a chat channel and friends list.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by MikeB

Exactly.

Perfect "make TOR into SWG"

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

If they kept the current areas as they are but expanded the surroundings to make a Darkfall-like world, that could do the trick.

It would need more environment artists though, but it would be worth the effort.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Getting the Space Combat right would account alone as a 50% improvement of the whole game.

As it is at the moment is just a insult to all Star Wars fans which deserve better.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

SWG was a far better game. You just listed 5 reasons.

I miss the free open world. Even while leveling, I was free. Many games don't provide that feeling.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yes, the list is far too short, you could easily add 15 critical points to a list and still find more.  I do have to agree though that you will probably see none of these points ever addressed by the Bioware team because the game is just not designed for such.

Let's face it, for all the money invested in SWTOR it is still only half the game SWG was, even with NGE installed.  Pretty sad when the genre takes a major step backward with a big box title.

If there are razzie awards for MMO's SWTOR would be first in line for one.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    If they could stick in just a minute fraction of the SGW RCG (Rose Coloured Glasses) effect, well they'd still not have the success they wanted (albeit more of a success than SWG ever dreamed of) but there'd be a tiny chance of a reasonable discussion being remotely possible... If unilikely.
  • genclaymoregenclaymore Member UncommonPosts: 44
    A better combat system which be one thing that would improve SWTOR as well a actual space combat and not one on a rail.
    Originally posted by MikeB

Your suggestions add up to "make TOR into SWG".  Even big maps like Hoth and Tatt would never accommodate player made cities, for example.  You'd have to rewrite the whole game.

Exactly.

Why reference SWG at all then?  The games are total opposites in design.  The only thing they have in common are the Star Wars universe.   Everything in that list can be drawn from many other MMO's besides  the space combat.  You needed SWG to draw on for Factional PvP or multi-person mounts?

All I'm saying is a lot of people really enjoyed SWG before they butchered it and tried to make it more "iconic" by changing it into WoW in space.  Why pillage the tombs of some pharaoh only to steal a piece of rock?  SWG wasn't built around any of these features, or remembered for them by 'SWG vets' now.   The reason it's being ranked number one on Massively's MMO most in need of a ressurection isn't because of those features.  

ToR's fourth pillar of story collapsed on them, sadly.  The things I mentioned are the things I'd wish to see in ToR.   You don't reference SWG then say I can't list all the features of it that made it SWG.   If you just wanted to talk about jewish shoes you don't reference the Holocaust (I'm in no way relating SWG->NGE to the holocaust...).   I may not be realistic, but those are my wishes.  

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    Features from SWG I'd love to see in SWTOR?  All of them.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    5. Multi-Person Vehicles : On Mustafar the skiff served a purpose, it was heat resistant and speeder bikes were not. I would not outlaw multi-person vehicles, but they are impractical. As in real life, when a person knows that you must wait for them they will drag their feet. When the group is free to leave without them delays are seldom seen.

4. Storytelling/Player Events & 3. User Generated Content : I left soon after the change of Restuss, so I never saw the UGC. I only read about PE’s, never saw one either. I concur that a second source of content could be good. But I also realize the wall of garbage this would produce for the few tiny diamonds of player goodness. Think about hidden messages or meaning. Players who leave the game or just change faction, if you can embed the PC into the quest system. The time and effort to review the submitted content.

2. Factional Warfare : Isn’t there already factional warfare in TOR? True the scope described is more fleshed out and would add to any game. Spice and Slice were common game features of SWG that could get you KOS by imperial NPCs. I agree that a penalty system would drive players away. Just having to deal with out the faction bonuses should be enough of a penalty. The factional world changes would be exciting.

1. Space Combat : I was late in adopting JTL. and I always regretted it. The promise of multiplayer ships was a double edge sword. Only ONE turret ever had a chance of hitting a target. SWG space combat didn’t match the GL vision. In SWG a ship would follow a target in a never ending loop until the lead target was destroyed. In SW movies space combat was more like bullfighting, with strike as you pass style combat.

So what would I add?

5 Speeders, speeder bikes and jet packs as seen in episodes 4, 5 & 6.

4 More instanced content. 5x the instances, remember the Death Star was an instance. When you think you have enough, you are only halfway there.

3 PC focused Complex crafting. Players hate to be dependant on other players for their gear. Too bad! KoTOR crafting has always been a simplistic mod slot system with a single component recipe. Part of SWG downfall was the lack of in game tools to compare and track gear.

2 Simplified game art. Go to a capital city and look at a wall. Now look at the wall of the room you are presently in. In my case it is a textured wall of a single colour. The TOR game world is overly complex for no good reason, and looks it. Level complexity should be a function of geometry and not textures.

1 A single character slot per server and the freedom to change class. SWG had 30+ mix and match player classes. This was its strength and beauty. It also had macro leveling (botting). I would have a fighter class, a healer class, and a ranged DPS class. But I would also have an Entertainer buff / simple combat class and crafting classes.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
      You'd have to rewrite the whole game.

We could call it... the NGE.

I like you.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    1 and 2 definetely yes, maybe 5 as well. If done properly I might even re-sub. The rest, don't care that much about.