Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Pirate 101: There Be Pirates Out There, Matey!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

KingsIsle launched its second major MMO last week with the release of the family-friendly Pirate101, companion to KI's inaugural title, Wizard101. We've been playing a bit o'piratey goodness this past coupla days and have some thoughts to share with ye. Be checkin' it out then leave yer scrawl in the comments. YARR!

Like W101 before it, the game begins with players detailing their background and looks through an interactive tutorial.  You're an orphan (and can choose how you became one), and you were caught and imprisoned on the ship you're being rescued from for one of many crimes (which you also choose from).  Of course the "crimes" in P101 are more Robin Hood than John Gacy... this is an all-ages game after all.  Whatever you choose helps determine what sort of pirate you are and what skills you'll have in combat.  It's a nice way for novices of any age to be welcomed into the game, and the opening combat scene sets the stage for the conflict with the villainous Armada. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's and Suzie Ford's Pirate101: There Be Pirates Out There, Matey!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    am I wrong or does the game not launch till the 15th of october, yet this post says it launched last week....odd
  • chase17tnchase17tn Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by wayubb
    am I wrong or does the game not launch till the 15th of october, yet this post says it launched last week....odd

there was a open beta test for a good 7hrs last week to try the game out and then they have a 1week head start for ppl who payed

made by nonny
    and
    made by Braggi

thanks both u guys

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    right so it hasnt officially launched as aheadstart is not an official launch more for what they call a soft launch.
  • garrettnightgarrettnight Member Posts: 1
    Opening to the public 15 th, now is just a sneak peak for special members. If  you purchase the boochbread and gandry bundles. You can get the fast track into the beta, remember they are wiping out charactor info at midnight 14th!!!!         arrr.
  • MrChief42MrChief42 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    So far, from what I have seen of the first couple of days trying out Pirate101, the game is too complicated and too slow, and the battles do not give you enough options, but then, it may get better as I learn to understaand it more.
  • striker1737striker1737 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by garrettnight
    Opening to the public 15 th, now is just a sneak peak for special members. If  you purchase the boochbread and gandry bundles. You can get the fast track into the beta, remember they are wiping out charactor info at midnight 14th!!!!         arrr.

Its a one week head start not sneek peek. it wont be ereased because then it wouldnt be a head start. a head start gives you an advantage against other people. if it was erased then you wouldnt have a head start

• SWT754SWT754 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    My family and I have started the "head start" and we have been having such a blast!  We've been running about showing each other our pirate ships and helping each other with our quests and battles.  I love the fact that we still have pets but now we also have companions.  We are huge Wizard 101 fans and have been playing for years now.  I am really enjoying the way this new game is still just as enjoyable as W101 but completely different.  Way to go Kingisle....I'm pretty sure you've got another hit!
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

My first impressions:

Pirate 101 is fantastic MMO because it dares to be unique. It's completely different from all WoW clones out there, and still manages to work and be fun. The graphics and animations are well done, sounds and especially the voice-acting for quests are well done, and I haven't had any crashes or encountered any bugs. Really polished game for one that's just launched.

But the combat system could be better. In Wizard 101 KingsIsle managed to craft a combat system where good decisions really mattered and were able to win the game. In Pirate 101 they failed to do that, and it feels more like taking turns with enemy hitting each other, and just taking turns hitting each other in turn-based game is boring. On plus side the combat is faster than what Wizard 101 combat was, the animations aren't as painfully long.

It's a kids game, like Wizard 101. Meaning no guilds and little social options. Otherwise it doesn't really matter, but finding new friends and groups is hard when chatting is very limited.

It's a good game, but I think Wizard 101 was better.

• lyn0529lyn0529 Member Posts: 1
    I don't have a lot to say about P101 but one thing is ''this game is awesome'' i had a little time to play it till the preview end but it was fun.
  • vickiex7vickiex7 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    A little more difficult than Wizard101. As a Granny I will be playing it with my granddaughters too. I still prefer Wizard101. I think it will just take getting used to though.
  • StrangenightStrangenight Member UncommonPosts: 10

I played Beta and am now enjoying my one week headstarta.  Like Wizard101, the puns and humor appeal to me as an adult player.  I just finished a quest to defeat the 'Rat Pack', 3 wharf rats by the name of Frankie Blue-Eyes, Sammie Davies, and Martin Dean.  Sound familiar?  It is just one of many 'Easter eggs' in the game for adult gamers. 

Pirate101 does require a bit more strategy than Wizard1011, and may not appeal to kids under 8 or so, but my 11 year old and I are having a blast.  Your very first companion varies by what class you choose, so even at the very beginning, not everybody starts off with the same thing.  The names are another tongue-in-cheek factor I love.  A bull companion named Kobe, a guinea pig vendor named Cavy, and a Crab companion named Bisque for example.  The pun factor makes me actually want to take my time and do all the side quests, look at all the characters, and read the all the text, just to see what they slipped in there.  All quests are fully voiced too, another factor I haven't seen in other games.

All in all, I would advise anyone to give this game a try when it goes live on October15th.  The free-to-play area is limited in size, but available forever.  If you choose to continue with the game, Pirate101, like Wizard101, lets you choose membership or buy each area and own it for as long as the game lives.  Which judging by the quality and fun factor, will be a long, long time.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    The simple fact is this, its wizard 101 with pirates.  Nothing really to keep me entertained or keep me interested as it feels like the game I already left and moved on from.  The beta did tell me what I feared.  For those who like wizard 101 and aren't bored yet, you will like this, if your not a fan of wiz 101,  you probably won't like this game at all.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Sounds good, but what I want to know is:  Is it just like Wizard 101 in that it's Pay2Win?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!