Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: New Updates coming! Reticle Combat and more!

So to sum things up: (in issue 4) (Probably early November)

- New Auxiliary weapon: 'The Chainsaw'  "We’re introducing the second auxiliary weapon – the Chainsaw – to add even further depth to our freeform progression system."

- Reticle Combat - Me am so HAPPY :D "I am also happy to reveal that Issue #4 will be introducing one of the most requested features during Beta: reticule combat." (for all the haters: You will be able to freely switch between traditional targeting and the reticule depending on what you feel is best for you.)

- Albion Theater in London (for all the RP'ers and such) "We are also opening the doors to the Albion Theatre in London where players can put on plays for each other and receive rewards. It may sound like a small thing, but I am excited about the fact that we can provide our role-playing community with more content and that we can make London, which is our primary social hub, an even more interesting place for players to hang out."

- First Raid: "We are reaffirming the strength of the modern-day setting by introducing the first raid set in a devastated New York City where players must battle a towering Eldritch horror in the ruins of Time Square."

- And afcourse.. More investigation missions and such!

Longer term:

- Revised Animations: "We know this was one of the major complaints both in the beta and after release, and we are looking at how we can make player animations feel more fluid and natural. This entails implementing an entirely new animation backend for the Dreamworld engine, which will allow us to make improvement in both ‘The Secret World’ and future Dreamworld projects."

- Improve PVP: "So the team is designing several features which will serve to bring this conflict back to the forefront, and while it is a little early to talk about what they are, I can say that I am really excited about their potential in tying together both PvE and PvP into the overall conflict."

- Puzzle Raids: "Another thing we are working on which I am really excited about is what we internally like to call ‘puzzle raids’. One of the most heralded features of ‘The Secret World’ at launch were the investigation missions that merge adventure-game puzzle-solving based on real-world research and brings it into an MMO setting. ‘Puzzle raids’ are sort of group investigation missions and a throwback to our alternate reality gaming (ARG) roots which ‘The Secret World’ were such an important part of the game prior to launch. "

- New Regions, monsters, mythe's and legends: "The second season will include a wealth of new content, including Tokyo, a major new region that brings with it new monsters, myths and legends to the game."

Time to reactivate my subscription!

Source: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/game_director_joel_bylos_reveals_his_plans_for_the_secret_world

Comments

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

All of this sounds fantastic. I can't wait.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

- Revised Animations: "We know this was one of the major complaints both in the beta and after release, and we are looking at how we can make player animations feel more fluid and natural. This entails implementing an entirely new animation backend for the Dreamworld engine, which will allow us to make improvement in both ‘The Secret World’ and future Dreamworld projects."

I don't believe this is every going to happen, they are to far in the red to invest more.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by s1fu71

All of this sounds fantastic. I can't wait.

Me too! I guess this debunks the haters shouting that each issue brings less content. He he.

Issue 4 seems to be a huge patch!  Cannot wait! :-)

Originally posted by Nitth

I don't believe this is every going to happen, they are to far in the red to invest more.

They have a dedicated team working purely on the Dreamworld Engine.

In fact! I wouldn't be suprised if Funcom, at some point in time, is going to offer licesnes for their engine to other development houses!

The dreamworld engine is a very powerful and capable engine.

They can make a huge amount of money with this and infact rebound the financial situation of the company.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It sounds like they're starting to get around to making the game play a lot more like the game seemed like it was going to play before I played in beta. The puzzle raids in particular give me this feeling. I'm hoping the PvP features have something to do with owning or controlling chunks of the world, like the Facebook game (except without all the Facebook lameness).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

They've recently announced TSW is in the black, actually.  Sorry to burst your bubble on that.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I will wait until I see something concrete in the game about faction PvP.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

They've recently announced TSW is in the black, actually.  Sorry to burst your bubble on that.

+1

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    From a purely practical perspective why would someone want to use reticle combat and risk added inaccuracy when they've already got what amounts to an aimbot?
    Originally posted by Mechanism
    From a purely practical perspective why would someone want to use reticle combat and risk added inaccuracy when they've already got what amounts to an aimbot?

There are actually a lot of people that like it. I won't use it much myself. But the game already lends itself for recticle combat.

Actually, it will probably make combat more fluid, due to the constant moving arond when fighting, as the reticle keeps your aim centered. Much less fuss then with the tradional aim we have now holding down the right mouse button all the time.

So who knows..... maybe I actually will start using it more and more. lol.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I said it before several times, and I meant it.  If they bring in more social / RP features, as well as WORLD faction PvP (opt-in of course) or alternatively world PvP zones with great incentives for people to go there, I'll start up my subscription again.

The Nov update is still not enough to motivate me to do that. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Sounds good image
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by Nitth   - Revised Animations: "We know this was one of the major complaints both in the beta and after release, and we are looking at how we can make player animations feel more fluid and natural. This entails implementing an entirely new animation backend for the Dreamworld engine, which will allow us to make improvement in both ‘The Secret World’ and future Dreamworld projects."

After firing half the staff.

They may improve how the graphics engine handles animation transitions but I highly doubt they will re-do old animations or create new animations. That would be far too expensive.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

And so has pretty much every Game studio the past years. Even more.

SOE had three rounds of lay offs over the last years and closed down several studios. They only have a fraction of the employees left of what they once had.

NCSoft has laid off many too the past years and closed down several studios here in the West, with Paragon studios becoming the most recent victim!

And then we don't even talk about companies like Activision (Blizzard) and EA who have laid off thousands the last couple years.

The Global Economic crisis is still in full swing and far from over. It pretty much affects every segment of the global market.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

They may improve how the graphics engine handles animation transitions but I highly doubt they will re-do old animations or create new animations. That would be far too expensive.

The didn't "Fire'...they laid off and they've actually hired a handful back...I believe one dev actually went to work on Anarchy Online....also Funcom. 

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    With Joel Bylos in charge you should look forward to a grind fest of future content.  He could teach Korean MMO developers a few things.
  • ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

In fact why even bother with a reticle in an mmorpg? If I want reticle combat i'll go play an FPS. Personally I'd like to see less combat focus and more investigation focus.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    sounds good so far, and seeing as my main problem with this game was the animations i might actually swing by and check this out once those goes in.

This have been a good conversation

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

In fact why even bother with a reticle in an mmorpg? If I want reticle combat i'll go play an FPS. Personally I'd like to see less combat focus and more investigation focus.

Because everyone on these forums seem to rave about aim based combat, why I don't know.  The overwhelming majority seem to bitch about anything remotely tab target based.

Not sure it's possible for them to put more focus on investigation missions.  It does appear that the rumors of more player driven content is not going to happen anytime soon, though.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by fallenlords
    With Joel Bylos in charge you should look forward to a grind fest of future content.  He could teach Korean MMO developers a few things.

Could you shed some light on this statement, or is it just another one of those poor assumtions, you want us to sell as facts? Pathetic  trolling as usual?

Hodor!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Personally, i felt the game should have been a puzzle solving, survival horrow mmo with very light combat and very heavy social structures. They want to expand on various combat aspects thats cool, just not my cup of tea. I was really hoping for something different from tsw. I love the setting, sound, graphics, investigation quests. But the core crafting and combat was a letdown.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Then why would they bother saying it? It wouldn't be in their best interests to throw around lies
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by tank017

Then why would they bother saying it? It wouldn't be in their best interests to throw around lies

Aaaand you don't know if they are in the red. They said that develpoment cost were greatly reduced by already having their own (the most graphically advanced) mmo game engine.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully

Aaaand you don't know if they are in the red. They said that develpoment cost were greatly reduced to already having the most graphically advanced mmo game engine on the market. 

We don't but we do know that they had to temorarily fire everyone and permanently let go of others and that their stock is tanking and that they basically said the game didn't meet expectations. Reworking their animations is probably not very probable any time soon. Its there just to keep your hopes up but probably very low in their backlog.

And, Im not sure how having the "most graphically advanced mmo engine" will fill that huge gap.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by bcbully

Aaaand you don't know if they are in the red. They said that develpoment cost were greatly reduced to already having the most graphically advanced mmo game engine on the market. 

We don't but we do know that they had to temorarily fire everyone and permanently let go of others and that their stock is tanking and that they basically said the game didn't meet expectations. Reworking their animations is probably not very probable any time soon. Its there just to keep your hopes up but probably very low in their backlog.

And, Im not sure how having the "most graphically advanced mmo engine" will fill that huge gap.

Yeah putting people on furlough (still paying, but not as much) sucks. Good to see they brought a few people back though. 

No it didn't sell as much as the wild june predictions, but those gamers who have played rate it higher than GW2 on sites like metacritic. 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2 82

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world 83

Well, what having that great engine does is put the game ahead of the curve. They wont need to update graphics for the foreseeable future. This gives them plenty of time to fill in the gaps. If they are able to add content and develop with 200k or less subs, they should be able to keep building for quite awhile.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"