Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how hard is eve?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by eckardt

thinking to start playing eve, but i want to know your opinion. i have an average iq, and i will be playing 10 hours a week.how long will it take to decently play the game? i will not  be a miner.

Ok

The game is complicated in wonderful ways. It makes you think and learn , and it never stops.

Its not hard at all , but its layered and you can always improve.

But here is a problem - something nobody will tell you :

EVE has a grind. And its more severe grind than any other game on the market.

Everything you do in EVE is limited by ammount money you have. If you want to get better you need a lot of money. To earn money you need to grind. A lot.

10 hours a week is not enough for EVE

Well, won't argue that you need a lot of ISK to progress, and 10 hours a week might not be enough to fund your skill training and new ships.

There is always the option that I took, bought some PLEX and sold them for ISK (yeah, CCP permits/facilitates this)  to supplement my income during the early going until I got my mission running skills high enough to properly fund my activities.

Allright. That is an option too.

If you think 15$ is not investment enough.

I currently pay $45/month to run three accounts, (used to be 4 at one time)  Others get by with one account while still others have 6 or more, and pay for many with PLEX that they purchase by selling their extra ISK.

EVE gives you many options, just a matter of what you want to make of it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Kyleran

thinking to start playing eve, but i want to know your opinion. i have an average iq, and i will be playing 10 hours a week.how long will it take to decently play the game? i will not  be a miner.

Ok

The game is complicated in wonderful ways. It makes you think and learn , and it never stops.

Everything you do in EVE is limited by ammount money you have. If you want to get better you need a lot of money. To earn money you need to grind. A lot.

Well, won't argue that you need a lot of ISK to progress, and 10 hours a week might not be enough to fund your skill training and new ships.

There is always the option that I took, bought some PLEX and sold them for ISK (yeah, CCP permits/facilitates this)  to supplement my income during the early going until I got my mission running skills high enough to properly fund my activities.

Allright. That is an option too.

If you think 15$ is not investment enough.

It's nice that they give the option as clearly some people like it, like the russian who spent ~100 000 USD on EVE. :D

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/65475/page/2

:p

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Ok

The law in your analysis is that you're assuming that the only way to get money is by grinding (I suspect in hi-sec)

The last PvE I did was last month sometime, and I made 400M ISK in an hour and then the next day 850M ISK in 2 hours. Our corp has a POS in a Class 5 wormhole, and in 3 hours I made enough ISK to keep me PvPing for a month.

Other people in our alliance make ISK with freighter ganking, and they do pretty well out of it.

Others make ISK bringing ships & consumables to 0.0 for a fee, simultaneously making some ISK and supporting our campaign

Others daytrade in Jita, and they make a lot.

Others have alts in sov-holding alliances in quiet backwaters and build supercapitals.

Some just grind anomalies.

In short: you have choices and opportunities. You don't have to limit yourself to level 4 missions in hi-sec.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

i tried eve online 3 times and everytime i left . now with the new tutorial i am learning the game fast and i will play it till jan 2013 .that is of course when my masters degree start . 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Ok

The law in your analysis is that you're assuming that the only way to get money is by grinding (I suspect in hi-sec)

The last PvE I did was last month sometime, and I made 400M ISK in an hour and then the next day 850M ISK in 2 hours. Our corp has a POS in a Class 5 wormhole, and in 3 hours I made enough ISK to keep me PvPing for a month.

Other people in our alliance make ISK with freighter ganking, and they do pretty well out of it.

Others make ISK bringing ships & consumables to 0.0 for a fee, simultaneously making some ISK and supporting our campaign

Others have alts in sov-holding alliances in quiet backwaters and build supercapitals.

In short: you have choices and opportunities. You don't have to limit yourself to level 4 missions in hi-sec.

the quickest and easiest way to make isk is probably to mine, gaining enough faction to do level 4's takes a lot of work, but flying a retriever takes way less time and effort, and you can probably make 20-50m isk/hour mining in high sec.. as long as you train drone skills up enough so you can use a minimum of 3 warrior I's your normally good to go.image

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Phry

Ok

the quickest and easiest way to make isk is probably to mine, gaining enough faction to do level 4's takes a lot of work, but flying a retriever takes way less time and effort, and you can probably make 20-50m isk/hour mining in high sec.. as long as you train drone skills up enough so you can use a minimum of 3 warrior I's your normally good to go.image

Getting to level 4s is actually quite easy if you train standing skills and run it with a friend or so I'd say... Also I don't think you can make 50m isk/hour with a retriever or such, I tried with a retriever and made about 4-6m / 20min. 20mil /h is quite likely but also very low pay. Good when you got a hangover and wish to make some ISK while browsing, otherwise not so much. :p

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by bcbully

How hard? I thought I was hardcore until I played EVE... 

I was having fun on my free trial,  I was learning skills and mining asteroids and generally progressing pretty good, so I bought a one month sub. I wanted to be able to use that mining derg. 

I got my mining ship and I was off. Mining this and that. I felt like MC hammer "Making lots of money." whaat?! "Making lots of money." So after about a week of mining I bought this badA destroyer and decked it out with cool Items because I was learning skills while I sleep. Pure awesomesauce!

The next day I afk'd for 3 minutes by an asteroid belt, came back and all I had was my escape pod.. Ship gone items gone money gone.. One week of my life gone//1!! I quit... lmao.

I have so much respect for those who play this game and prosper. 

This is a major reason many people leave Eve because they are stupid enough to go AFK for a so called 3 minutes...You could of flown back to a space station and then when you returned gone back to what you were doing. So no one else was to blame for what happened to you but you. So please do not make it sound like the game is poor when it was all your fault for your loss.

If you had taken the time to insure your ship and other precaustions you would most likely still be playing, well until someone you had a better understanding of the game killed you again. There are plenty of good youtube videos explaing how to play the game before you invest in it so i would suggest you do so before commiting to this amazing game which has been around for nearly 10 years and will be around for another 10 IMO.

Asbo

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Once you play all the starter mission and then i would suggest you look for a corporation with 300+ active members as they will help you develop your skills. If you want a corp then message me and I will provide you with a corp i have joined a few days ago who are helping not just old players returnung to the game but new players too.

have fun and look, learn and listen and do not do things which you feel may endanger you and you will have a blast imo.

Bandit

Asbo

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

the cool thing about EvE is that it can be as easy or as hard as you wish.

you can log in every once in a while and gank the odd ship, try your luck at probing/scavenging, do a little mining, play the market a bit, run missions,join a non abitious corp, and generally keep it very small and simple, small losses and small gains....

.....or you can got for the gusto and try and run a corp or multipe corps, run multiple accounts, try make some serious money, play politics, organize  fleets/alliances, try take over some null sec, build space stations, build Titans and besically play one of the hardest games on the market to date. The "hard core" aspect of EvE is by far one of the most complicated and difficult on the mmo market.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Remember to always have skills in queue before you log off.

In Eve it will take 24 years to learn every skill in the game yes its not a typo its 24 years to learn every skill to max.

You have to make up your mind on what you want to become.
    Start small for 6 months.

Never undock a ship you cannot replace...never not even for a second.

When you do missios ALWAYS read what resistance types you need to have, never fly into a mission blindly or without knowing what is comming.

Set out a goal for yourself on what you want to do over 6 months, PvE L4 missions ? PvP solo ? PvP in a corp ?
    Make s skill training for the future like i want to fly that sexy Tengu !!! and check what skills you need to train it including all the certificates.
    Then train train train train train and train some more as this is the only way to get more isk in your pocket.

You will lose ships...you will get griefed...dont trust anyone...

In that regard Eve is the most hardcore mmo ever created.

Cheating is rewarded
    Scamming is rewarded
    Griefing is rewarded
    Stealing is rewarded

You wont make it on your own so look for a newb firendly corp that can assist you with some isk and basic plans for skill training.

Some skill training books are expensive and most corps have plenty of them rotting in the corp hanger.

Fly safe....always fly safe 0/

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I dont know if Eve is as hard as it is involved, I think in order for you to be a "good" player you need to do a lot of reading.  I think it is very important to follow the turourial, but even the excellent turorial leaves a huge amount of material that still needs to be researched to understand.  If you like Space games and do not mind doing a long involved tutorial and reading a bit every day than Eve may be for you
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by rezin44
    Like others have said Eve isn't 'hard' so much as indepth. If you just want to tool around running missions or mining making modest isk then you can do fine on your own. On the flip side, if you want to make big money, it's going to take a commitment of time to accumulate skill points to fly the better ships, or be able to operate a wormhole site, or to be able to fly a compitent PvP ship. I have 3 seperate accounts I pay for with plexes bought on the market. I've lived in a wormhole for the last year or so doing sleeper sites. Taggart Transdimensional is the corp im in, we've been primarily a WH corp for a couple years now. I get the most satisfaction from the game podding others in our WH and making isk, so I guess it works for me.Eve is a true sandbox, it can be as difficult as you want it to be. Do the tutorials..several times if you think you need it. To really learn the ins-and-outs check out eve university. Trust no one :)

TTi is still around? Who knew 0-o

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

To earn money you need to grind. A lot.10 hours a week is not enough for EVE 

Seems like there are some layers of EVE you need to unfold...

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

well if you have basic commen sense in real life and enjoy a self driven environment and is mature. then i think you will be just fine in eve. i said mature because there is lots of trolls in eve. so if you're an anal person who gets pissed over someone typing caps in world chat then ya you will have lots of problems. but eve really isnt hard to understand it's just a slow paced game. the hardest occupation you will ever get into is pvping and if you ever want to fc. i say pvping is hard because when it comes to pvping in eve. it is all about houw well you can outwit your enemy. it's not like your average mmo where u hack and slash or los someone if they are range. and this is why i also said basic commen sense is needed. anyways if you want to join eve let me know. 1 of my newest toons name is Legolas Talvanen. so feel free to contact me and i will guide u through your whole eve experience. also i would like to add. eve is more fun when u find that right corporation for you that you can stick with. 

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Phry

Ok

Easiest? Maybe

Quickest? Hell no

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

Eve isnt hard at all..

Games i think that are hard is like dark souls or maybe some of the zeldas etc.

Eve is just alot of information that you have to learn. Its not hard just takes a bit of your time basically. Eve is also slowpaced so cant rush and think well the longer i play the more power i will have...if you been playing Eve for maybe 3 or more years that statement will be true...if you been playing less than a year its not...only thing that will make you more powerful is in time...then once you have the SP to properly fit a certain ship then  money plays the key.

For a new player i cannot stress enough the importance of mining and such..it brings great income and they are coming out with a new mining ship as well. Also planetary interaction is great too...both of these things are like passive ways to make money ( making money while not playing).

As in most mmorpg get in a Corp fast....I mean FAST!!!! unlike other mmorpgs where u play solo this game playing solo will eventually make you leave in in about a few months or less.

I cant stay away from eve no matter what..even if i quit in a couple months i usually come right back..great game

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

It's been a few months since I've played but as I remember:

You can be competent in a tengu in less than 6 months and after that you can easily make over 30 million ISK an hour solo and there's no group or corp that will turn you away if they PvE and you are a tengu pilot.

The tough part is making the ISK to get the ship with proper fittings in the first place, but if money isn't a problem for you, you can buy PLEX with money and sell it for ingame ISK.

So you'll be making 300 million a week which is 1,200,000,000 a month, so 480 million will go towards buying PLEX so you can play for free and the rest for whatever hobbies you want to explore.

Of course there have been a few patches since I was in new eden so the above might of changed.  Maybe someone will jump in and affirm what I've said or disagree.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Well, it's going to take you a while to really get into the game (prolly about 1-2 months). On the plus side you can do a lot of your lvling offline (que up skills while you're @ work, etc.).

You don't need to have an enormous IQ to play Eve, but it is definitely a game for people who like to plan, plot, and compare numbers / spreadsheets. The game isn't nearly as action-oriented as most MMOs, instead it's more about planning out how best to go about doing what you wanna do. Either plotting the best travel routes to do missions / harvest minerals, plan the fastest path to train skills to fulfill a certain roll, etc. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, I'd try a different game. Eve is definitely a niche MMO, even though it's a good one.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Games not hard at all, as long as you do the tutorial.  There's a lot to learn yes, but the stuff you'll learn isn't "hard". 

Lots of people in and out of the game that can help you.  Guides out the wahzu, videos, wikis. 

It's not hard so much as it takes time to learn the amount of stuff there is to learn in EVE.  As long as you're patient, understand that nothing happens over night in EVE, and aren't anti-social, you shouldn't have any trouble with the game. 

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    You should finish the tutorials first. . do these 100%.  That might take you the week.  Then you can play decently.  After that how much you can play doesn't matter since the skill game real time and offline as well.  I found that if I didn't play for a long time I would forget a few things - interface etc.  10 hours a week should be good.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Games not hard at all, as long as you do the tutorial.  There's a lot to learn yes, but the stuff you'll learn isn't "hard". 

Lots of people in and out of the game that can help you.  Guides out the wahzu, videos, wikis. 

It's not hard so much as it takes time to learn the amount of stuff there is to learn in EVE.  As long as you're patient, understand that nothing happens over night in EVE, and aren't anti-social, you shouldn't have any trouble with the game. 

Pretty much this. It used to be much "harder" but with the dditions of some pretty in depth tutorials that not only teach how to do various tasks and use different tools in combat, it also supplies you with a bunch of starter versions of various tools, a variety of weapons, and several different types of ships. By the time you finish the series of in game tutorials you'll have a pretty good grasp on all the basics of the game to get you started.

Between that and the large amount of guides & wiki info, you should have no problems at all.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

As someone who recently gave EvE a go, i have to say it's an amazing game.

It is also very old.

I felt like the time i played it i was always trying to catch up to what others had already achieved. People have been at this game for yeaaaars and it reflects in the economy. Looked at a level 4 book i needed, price was triple my entire isk count lol.

Those things aside though, the game is really really something i wish i could have got into years ago as well ^^

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by Toxia

As someone who recently gave EvE a go, i have to say it's an amazing game.

It is also very old.

I felt like the time i played it i was always trying to catch up to what others had already achieved. People have been at this game for yeaaaars and it reflects in the economy. Looked at a level 4 book i needed, price was triple my entire isk count lol.

Those things aside though, the game is really really something i wish i could have got into years ago as well ^^

That's weird, the cost of skill books today are the same as when I joined many years ago unless it's resale from a player who got it from another market or bought it thru an LP store.

What prevented you from gaining the LP yourself to buy it or what stopped you from going to where it's seeded on a market to keep your costs down?

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• jarbyjarby Member Posts: 77
    Eve is not hard at all. Also not 2 different from other mmos. Just different interface.  But it is rather dull if u are not in  some great corp wich is hard 2 find. This game is hardcore social not for players who like 2 play alone.