Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see yourself playing GW2 past 2012?

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Karteli
     There is no player to player competition, no rivalries, no need to love or hate any other player.  Other players are just existing also for no reason.  They may as well be NPC's.  Everything is empty in this game.  No emotion.

ANet specifically opted for a no rivalry design.

Next time do a lil research of a game instead of just following hype n then troll around about how a game did not live up to your expectations when your expectations go against what the Developer's philosophies are.

The post you quoted said nothing explicitey about his expectations. 

It did and his post history reflects it.  He is like the many expecting many core WoW features only to be dissatisfied when it's not there nor was it ever indicated that it was going to be there.

To explicitely say something about one's expectations, one has to say "I expected this and that" or "My expectations were this and that". Just because you dislike something, it doesn't mean that you expected to like it; it is possible that you weren't sure about something and were still willing to give it a try, but that doesn't mean that you expected to like that something or expected that something to work in a certain manner.

read the "rivalry" part i quoted

- he defines PVP as requiring his version of rivalry - thats an expectation

A definition is not the same as an expectation. Furthermore, his formulation is at the very least ambiguous in the sense that he could very well have just made a list without wanting to imply that "player to player competition,"  requires rivalry.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I picture Mathew Broderick at the end of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" looking at you oddly and telling you that the movie is over and to go home.  Why ask these questions?

Will Barrack Obama still be President in 2012?  Will he actually do what he promised to do?  Will unemployment still be as high come the new year?  Will we still be outsourcing all the labor jobs to foreign companies?  Will the cost of a stay in the hospital still exceed 5K a day?  Will the price of gas ever return to $2?  Will the youth of today faint when they find out the average retirement age for them will be about 75 years old?

Finding out whether someone will be playing a free online game come the new year is certainly a question that needs an answer.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

This is funny.  Pre-launch I had expected maybe a couple weeks out of this game.

After launch, I had a lot of fun but then the novelty wore off and I became a bit bored.  So I was thinking I'd maybe hit the month mark and be done.

Now, after creating 4 additional characters, I am actually having a lot of fun again.  I find that some of the classes can seem a bit simplistic (warrior, guardian) and I tired of them quickly.  Now that I have started exploring the Thief and Elementalist classes, I have renewed interest in the game. 

I find this game seems to be more enjoyable when I have multiple characters to bounce back and forth off of.  So, when I get tired of class A, switch to B and back and forth.

As for the answer, I gave 3 months but who knows...it may keep me longer.  This game just keeps surprising me....

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by crazynanny
    Kinda funny to see results so far. Might be flaved poll tho, as I wonder if people wanting to stick mean they will play it on regular basis or just will hop in after some updates. Anyways my guess would be that either:

1. You are WoW type player that enjoys character progression aka gear. No place for you in GW2. Levels and gear doesn't matter that much here. Result bored already with lvl 80, full exotic set and nothing to do.

2. You are sandbox type player, which already means you are bored as GW2 is theme park in a bit of disguise. Tried it as next gen, hyped MMO, but found still same boring model.

3. You enjoy team, skill based PvP, which means WvWvW and tournaments in sPvP can keep you hooked for a long long time.

4. You are PvE explorer, you enjoy finding secret places, events, lore and funny things. Completing the world this way will take quite some time. Especially with dungeons on top.

i agree to all except dungeons. they are really crap

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Karteli

Longevity really depends on what ArenaNet does.

The game is boring as it is.  Very little character interaction.  no /who.  no /inspect.  limited emotes.  Very little bond to other characters in the game.

Guilds are pointless in a game called Guild Wars.  Join a guild for a glorified chat room, essentially.

Do stuff as a guild?  I can do everything solo.  Guilds are useless. (dungeons are useless and I don't bother, gear can be bought on the trader [AH], and gold is easy to obtain)

When I play, I end up just screwing around, but it's all pointless.  There is no player to player competition, no rivalries, no need to love or hate any other player.  Other players are just existing also for no reason.  They may as well be NPC's.  Everything is empty in this game.  No emotion.

Saddening, but it's up to ArenaNet to remedy this.  I don't see much longevity with this game.

Obviously you never did you research.

Dungeons pointless?  It's the cosmetic items and challenge, if you want epeen gear form dungeons then look elsewhere.

Guilds pointless?  Guilds are a social outlet, that is what it was intended and always have been identified as such.  Later down the road there will be GvG stuff but no now.  And Guild Wars is something in the lore.

Since when does emotes, /who, /inspect give a game any more player interaction?

ANet specifically opted for a no rivalry design.

Next time do a lil research of a game instead of just following hype n then troll around about how a game did not live up to your expectations when your expectations go against what the Developer's philosophies are.

Seems like research is a relative term for GW2. The definitition or expectation of it seems to have changed somewhere between pre-launch hype and post-launch de-hype. Prior to launch, anyone who questioned anything about GW2 got met with "We've done the research, we've seen the videos, We've read the reviews. We know what this game is." So now, when someone posts they are disapointed, I am now seeing many replys like this saying poster should have done more research.

So, what then, would that research have shown? All those videos and reviews that painted GW2 exactly how it was wanted to be seen without any of it's shortcomings. All that stuff that lead so many people to get over hyped for a game that clearly didn't live up to what all that research showed.

• GiveMe5GiveMe5 Member Posts: 38
    1st option for quite some time now.
  • ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Maybe it's me but threads like these are what is wrong with this genre today. We seem to WANT games to fail. The OP pretty much paints that as a desire and the reasoning behind the poll is they feel it will be. Is it really that difficult for folks to either like or dislike a game then move on? Why in the world do we want to see so many games fail when the better these games do the more options we have. I don't know about anyone else but I love having options instead of being pigeon-holed.

In any case, the question can not truely be answered til the customer base sees the direction the developer wants to take with the game. How do we know what they will install 3 months down the line? Do we know how often the expansions will roll out? Not to mention these days doesn't seem like a lot of folks stick with any game too long so it may all be a moot point anyway. It's like gamers have developed A.D.D. or something.

As for my opinion on the game, I'm enjoying it and that is all that matters for me. I like it, so I play it. The future is in what the developer chooses to do. MMO's are evolving and always changing or adding to their foundation so it will depend on the swiftness they interject into their game for the latter days. Since my crystal ball is broken makes it rather difficult to forsee at this time. I have none of the issues stated in the OP and the endgame is exactly what they said it will be so kind of hard to be surprised at what is presented there.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by fenistil

Already stopped playing.   I bought GW2 cause was intrigued of their b2p model and how it affect game design and gameplay + was intrigued with DE system and it's hype.

For me it does not have lonevity.  Exploration is "completing map on 100% and uncovering all points like 18/18" which totaly is not like virtual world for me at all.     DE's are not what I hoped. They play role of quests and there are plenty of them and on short timer,  frequently I was seeing one event 5+ times when roaming / gathering on area.   I thought they would be much rarer events that will impact area they take place for long hours, days and if few selected ones maybe even longer.

Follow the dynamic event chains in Orr and you will be throwing away 4-6 hours before you do the whole zone. The problem you had is that you were in low level areas with easy DEs with a solid population that ensured they never failed. Now that the 80 zerg rush is gone, the zones look very different, with encampments getting taken over by mobs and players leveling alts having to organise to get together and take areas back.

Don't really like combat, but that's personal preference.   Heavy zoning also put me off quite a bit.  Also I am not into arenas much, so overally meh - first mmorpg I bought in 1,5 year and I've stopped playing after less than 40 hours according to /age.

Heavy zoning? While you are leveling you barely have to zone once every 5 hours. Its not like you fly through 10-15 levels in 5 minutes. Only time you would see heavy zoning is if you were doing sPvP or dungeons constantly, and even then the load screens are shorter than any other MMO I have played.

Just not my type of mmorpg, totally not.  For those who like it is propably nice as it have some nice things (like size of cities, NPC walking, etc).    

In matter on longevity this game for me is very weak.

If you missed out on all the cool dynamic events by rushing around 'completing' zones then I feel sorry for you. But this game has tonnes of longevity. Between the 5 racial stories, the multiple levelling paths, WvW and sPvP this game isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

If you dont like the game, thats fine, but that isnt representative of the games longevity, just your own personal taste in games. Anyone who likes what GW2 is will enjoy the game for quite some time, certainly long enough for them to release an expansion.

None of posts here are representative of game longevity as all those posts are personal opinions.  All of them positive, negative or weighted-neutral.

To your answers though.

"Orr argument"   - possible.  I was trying to catiously and slowly progress through game exploring, gathering and crafting as well as I always do in mmorpg's.    Could not make it to Orr and I did try to get back few times.  Have few forum buddies on my other smaller forum that do still play GW2 and they say it is basically huge war zone filled with chain event and taking zone back and forth.    Not what I meant.   But it is in big way my fault I was projecting almost half-sandobx game and that's definately not something that was promised so it is my fault when we talk about high zones and Orr.

Lower to medium zones DE system still look silly and boring to me and I could not get past it.

"Heavy zoning" argument.   Maybe I will try to make myself more clear.   There were multiple mmorpg's I played althrough most of them were short.  I usually do small research about a mmorpg, then try to participate in beta or use trial and then experience game myself + try to get more info about game concept and mechanics.     Most of them fail this test and get out of my hard drive fast.

There were 3 mmorpg's I played for long time:

Ultima Online

World of Warcraft Vanilla

Lotro

Ultima Online is almost totally seamless.

World of Warcraft  Vanilla when there was still illusion of game not solely focused on instances was also majorily seamless experience.

Lotro - game is zoned, althrough there are only a few loading screens in open world.  I think like 3-4 ?  Not 100% sure. It was bothering me though and game was focused more and more on instances as time passed anyway.

Still you can see that even though zones in GW2 are big (which is obviously good) each zone and each big city is separate zone with loading screen.  It is not about how often I see loading screens.  It is about knowing that world is so chopped in many although big pieces.   This is very specific so I can understand why it is not bothering you or many people that are only bothered by technical side of zoning (aka waiting and starting at loading screen).  

So I am not trashing GW2.  I am just disappointed in myself, that even as vet and even though I watched some videos - I relied too much on other people views and predictions from forums and because of that I also projected some game design that was never there. (in GW2).  Think that what being preety much on mmorpg hiatus for 1,5 year can do. I learned my lesson.

Again.  About longevity and everything else - those are only MINE personal thoughts and none mine nor yours are representative about game longevity.   

There are enough people that like GW2 that it will remain operational propably for years.   Without me though.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    There's no sub so why would I not keep playing... maybe once I have 8xlevel 80s and done all the content I want to I will stop playing but until then i will keep go back to it.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Lotro - game is zoned, althrough there are only a few loading screens in open world.  I think like 3-4 ?  Not 100% sure. It was bothering me though and game was focused more and more on instances as time passed anyway.

You got to be kidding me. LOTRO has a loading screen each time you enter or exit a building.

World of Warcraft  Vanilla when there was still illusion of game not solely focused on instances was also majorily seamless experience.

While WoW's world is mostly seamless (except for the boat loading screens and the blood elf area), the zone organisation in GW2 make way more sense. Don't get me wrong, I loved and still love WoW's huge world a lot, but some area transitions in that game just don't make any sense at all. You go from desert to lush fortest, from jungle to gloomy forested farmlands, etc... there's no transition, you pass some invisible line and you completely change biome. The way GW2 areas are arranged and transition is way more realistic and therefore immersive. For instance, you really go down from the Shiverpeak Mountains, you don't just pass a zone limit and suddenly go from snow to rain forest.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Ariannae

Will I play as consecutively as I am right now? More than likely not.

Will I play past 2012? Absolutely I will. Why -wouldn't- you come check up on an already paid for MMO when large content patches go Live?

This.  And...

It is, and always was meant to be a sub free alternative to my MMO playlist, and it has since exceeded my expectations.  I was addicted for a few weeks, playing MUCH too much.  I almost literally had to pry myself from it.

As far as how long it will stay on my drive, right now I see it much like I see LotRO, my mainstay, which I've been subbed to for over 4 years.  There will be times when I won't play for weeks.  There will be times when I'll play for weeks nonstop.  The only diff is, GW2 won't cost me a sub.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Not sure.

The game is ok but nothing more than that.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Was really enjoying GW2 but then RL got in the way for a couple of weeks,  RL has been quiet again for the last 3 weeks but there just hasn't been a desire to log in and play although this may be that I have had some good single player games to play in Sleeping Dogs and FIFA as well as beta for an upcoming MMOFPS (cant remember if its under NDA to mention its name or not)

Not at the uninstall stage yet just have to see what happens in the future.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I'll be around for several years. This is the best game to come out in a very very long time. I assume nothing will compare to it in the near future.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Easily for years to come. Still enjoying it as much as ever. The only real complaint I have right now (aside from bugs that are being worked on or hackers as exist in every game) is WvW. I got caught up in WvW a couple weeks ago and it's really screwing over my PvE character progression. Seems like every time I log in I hop onto JQ TS3 server and wind up in WvW instead of PvEing.

Too many distractions in this game. I love it for that. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Interesting to read the posts from everyone.

I think, in the end, this game will keep a niche following, but by and large the majority of buyers will have played the game the most in its initial month of purchase.  They may come back to it from time to time, but like every other MMO out, the initial bustle seen in launch will most likely not be seen again...save for when expansions release.

Edit: I am only commenting on the game in its current state.  I also tend not to believe posts that predict a year or more simply because it is rather ludicrous to assume you would know what will keep you entertained a year from now with these type of games.
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    I see myself playing this game off and on for quite a while. I haven't logged in in a little while due to Borderlands 2, but I imagine I'll be back in a couple weeks.
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

You got to be kidding me. LOTRO has a loading screen each time you enter or exit a building.

While WoW's world is mostly seamless (except for the boat loading screens and the blood elf area), the zone organisation in GW2 make way more sense. Don't get me wrong, I loved and still love WoW's huge world a lot, but some area transitions in that game just don't make any sense at all. You go from desert to lush fortest, from jungle to gloomy forested farmlands, etc... there's no transition, you pass some invisible line and you completely change biome. The way GW2 areas are arranged and transition is way more realistic and therefore immersive. For instance, you really go down from the Shiverpeak Mountains, you don't just pass a zone limit and suddenly go from snow to rain forest.

Yeah concentrated so much on 'outdoor' that I forgot about buildings in Lotro.  Seems I got over it cause I liked this game so much in past.

--------------

WoW & GW2 - no zoned world is definately not more immersive.  WoW's of course did not make sense, but pieces of terrain looking like curved out of world as a whole does not make sense either.  Of course best is to have seamless world that gradually change it's scenery without drastic changes like in WoW, but If I have to choose what's better - seamless drastic changing is better and more immersive than zoned.

• mmofanaticmmofanatic Member UncommonPosts: 136

I voted for "Over a year." because I see myself poking my head in a for a couple hours a week for well over a year.

It will always be one of the games that never get uninstalled,  because I can always log in whenever I feel like it, play for a few minutes and kill some time.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I put over a year.

I don't really play GW2 as a main game but I enjoy logging in from time to time. I see no reason to stop.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Even when players decide to leave this game has an excellent business model. Players can leave and later decide they want to try out some of the new content that has been added and they don't have to play a damn sub. They could dish out $$ on an expasion if they feel like it as well. Pretty cool IMO.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

I've been playing GW1 off and on since release(for atleast 3-6 month stints)

So yes,yes I do.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Zhauric

Maybe it's me but threads like these are what is wrong with this genre today. We seem to WANT games to fail. The OP pretty much paints that as a desire and the reasoning behind the poll is they feel it will be. Is it really that difficult for folks to either like or dislike a game then move on? Why in the world do we want to see so many games fail when the better these games do the more options we have. I don't know about anyone else but I love having options instead of being pigeon-holed.

I'm with you.  I don't like many current MMOs out there, but as I've said many times, just because I don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be available to people who may not want the same things I do out of an MMO.  In contrast, a lot of forum complainers toss a game in the trash if it doesn't have the same bells and whistles as their big standard, and then start threads trashing it. But I posted a thread in off-topic discussion a while back that explained that as human beings we are psychologically prone to backing one "team" and hating another.  It's just the way it is.  OP is just falling in line with typical human behavior, and a lot of people follow suit.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Zhauric

I'm with you.  I don't like many current MMOs out there, but as I've said many times, just because I don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be available to people who may not want the same things I do out of an MMO.  In contrast, a lot of forum complainers toss a game in the trash if it doesn't have the same bells and whistles as their big standard, and then start threads trashing it. But I posted a thread in off-topic discussion a while back that explained that as human beings we are psychologically prone to backing one "team" and hating another.  It's just the way it is.  OP is just falling in line with typical human behavior, and a lot of people follow suit.

Agreed.    While I found GW2 not to my liking, it does not mean it should change.  I am FAR from advocating any changes, it would be close to impossible to make such wide & drastic changes that would make GW2 more to my liking and there would be no guarantee and at same time it would ruin experience for those people who actually enjoy it.

GW2 has right to be operational and to bring fun to people who like it.  

Does not change fact I am bit disappointed.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Yeah concentrated so much on 'outdoor' that I forgot about buildings in Lotro.  Seems I got over it cause I liked this game so much in past.

--------------

WoW & GW2 - no zoned world is definately not more immersive.  WoW's of course did not make sense, but pieces of terrain looking like curved out of world as a whole does not make sense either.  Of course best is to have seamless world that gradually change it's scenery without drastic changes like in WoW, but If I have to choose what's better - seamless drastic changing is better and more immersive than zoned.

LOTRO was a very good game until approx. Mines of Moria. Then the catastrophic decline of quality and also of respect of Tolkien's lore started. And the "free 2 play / pay 2 win" model it has now is utterly awful. Still, having to load for every single building was very immersion destructive.

_________

I'm usually strictly anti-zone. I disliked Age of Conan because of it, because it was so linear and also the zone links didn't make any sense. I disliked TSW partially because of that too, those games don't feel like a world, the zones aren't connected. Zones in EQ2 were almost hillarious as their connection wasn't making any sense most of the time, you completely changed landscape, textures, biome when you zoned (similar to EQ1).

In GW2, the zone connections make sense. As I said, you don't go from snow covered tundra to lush jungle just by passing a portal. A good example is the passage from Snowden Drifts to Gendarran Fields, where you are still in the mountains when you enter Gendarran, and you actually run DOWN and the snow becomes more sparse as you arrive in the plains.

I would still have prefered GW2 to be seamless, of course, but zones like that don't break my immersion. They are well done, and the transitions all make sense.

_________

This is not really on topic, even though it's interesting, so I'll stop here with that - but GW2 is the first "zoned" game I have no problem with. And at least, you can enter buildings and caves (HUGE caves, mini dungeons, etc...) without have a loading screen... ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !